Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Sykic posted:

How durable can I expect waterslides to be if I hit them with micro sol but don't topcoat afterwards? Would that be enough to stop them peeling off over time? I've been waiting almost 2 drat months for the humidity to calm down and I'm starting to think topcoating and UK weather just don't mix at all.

I can't speak from prolonged exposure outside of a topcoat, but I do know that on my GM/GM I misplaced one decal on the thigh, set it in with Micro-Set, and let it dry. A week later I came back and realized my mistake and couldn't get it off without fear of damaging the paint on the part.

So... you'll probably be fine? I'll admit I don't know if there's a difference between setting a decal onto bare plastic vs. setting it onto paint or topcoat like I was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I’m halfway through building my RG Sazabi. This kit is amazing. And huge. I knew in my head Sazzy was a big boy but I didn’t realize it in 1/144 is as big as a lot of suits in 1/100.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I want to get one but I'm nervous about the shoulders breaking thing.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
At my local hobby store we have a swap box and someone dumped an entire MG Sazabi ver. Ka in there. Thing was massive, you really don't get the scale of some of these suits until you see them built. It quickly got cannibalized by our resident scratchbuilder.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tanon posted:

I’m halfway through building my RG Sazabi. This kit is amazing. And huge. I knew in my head Sazzy was a big boy but I didn’t realize it in 1/144 is as big as a lot of suits in 1/100.

Just be careful with the shoulder-chest assemblage!

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Thats what I’ve seen and been told. I’ve got the chest assembly done, starting the arms next. Is it the link in the shoulder itself or that joint that connects it to the chest?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ah, if you're done with the chest you're past the danger point. It was the bunch of joints in the chest that swivel to give the arm rotation etc.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Whew. I did notice when I was trying to put on a piece of the chest armor that I hadn’t quite pushed those pieces far enough down; so I had to disassemble a bit to get them to seat downward correctly. But I was careful and got it together without breaking it. 😰

Edit: The other part that scared me was assembling and twisting all the skirting plates. I was petrified I was going to break one of those hooks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Haven't done much progress the last few weeks. Started my R9 Arrowhead, but some of the tiny parts need to be glued (it's in the instructions too) and that slows things down.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sykic posted:

How durable can I expect waterslides to be if I hit them with micro sol but don't topcoat afterwards? Would that be enough to stop them peeling off over time? I've been waiting almost 2 drat months for the humidity to calm down and I'm starting to think topcoating and UK weather just don't mix at all.

This is strange to me, a person who will sometimes pop outside to spray a couple of pieces when it is raining (it's Wales it's always raining).

If you're really worried about ideal spraying conditions get a small bottle of brush-on vallejo satin varnish to seal things up. A couple of thin coats applied with a wet brush.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I had bare waterslides on the perfect grade norn for two years as I debated full disassembling or blue tape for application of the top coat and they were completely fine. Of course, if anything had touched them, who knows.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The lightbox I ordered arrived like literally 2-3 minutes after I finished the Moon Gundam, so I got to take some fancy pics

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1411123353847468034

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Of the two plastic models I've made, the first had only waterslides and the second has only stickers.

https://twitter.com/MiniFoo/status/1411205565779365890

Give me the waterslides any day, holy hell.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

Of the two plastic models I've made, the first had only waterslides and the second has only stickers.

https://twitter.com/MiniFoo/status/1411205565779365890

Give me the waterslides any day, holy hell.

Get one of these things instead of fooling around with the metallic silver stickers: https://www.molotow.com/en/applications/marker-applications/liquid-chrome

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Midjack posted:

Get one of these things instead of fooling around with the metallic silver stickers: https://www.molotow.com/en/applications/marker-applications/liquid-chrome

This is the way. Never do with a sticker what you could do with a marker.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got a robot: https://imgur.com/a/S09cnin

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So I watched Hathaway last night, and found myself at my local hobby shop.

oops.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I can't find which modelling thread recommended Testors ELO for stripping plastic models, so I'm crossposting it. That stuff is magic. I sloshed some over a couple of parts I needed to re-paint and in about 10 minutes the paint and primer were basically floating free of the plastic part. The toothbrush wasn't used for scrubbing, but just to wipe the old paint off.

Your mileage may, and probably will, vary based on what kind of plastic, primer, and paint you have. Always test a solvent on spare sprue or a sample of the material that you can stand watching melt into a puddle (test everything, especially varnish over clear parts). Mine was a scale model from Hasegawa and seemed like a pretty normal plastic for scale kits intended for PVC glue. The other part was from a Bandai HG gunpla kit. Everything had been primed with Vallejo ivory airbrush primer and painted with Model Air colors.

Thanks to whoever recommended it.

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!

Is that one of the Brave series robos?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dropped my HG Zaku II while making it and the commander fin went flying to parts unknown. Hope it turns up eventually!

Touched up on my Gouf custom tho

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Welp I got owned by Amazon, they cancelled my preorders after saying they would be delivered today. And of course all of them are available for an insane mark up.

I guess amazon just isn't a viable option anymore, not even for preorder stuff. Just a huge bummer.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thinking of getting HG 1/144 Providence (the remaster version) and HG 1/144 Bael. Anyone have experience with them?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Crooow! posted:

Is that one of the Brave series robos?

It is not, but it shares a mechanical designer with them, and the director of the show it's from also worked on some of the Brave shows as a key animator.

It's God Sigma Gravion from Gravion Zwei.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Thinking of getting HG 1/144 Providence (the remaster version) and HG 1/144 Bael. Anyone have experience with them?

Bael's pretty alright. Basic IBO Gundam frame kit. Got more stickers than ideal, and the torso can get loose with time (especially given the heavy backpack) but it looks neat.

Providence is a kit from 2004, and it shows. Old joint setup, plenty of seam lines, awkward sculpt at points. The remaster is still basically the old kit with a few little modifications (and different colors) so, you know. It's got quirks. Not necessarily bad, but you shouldn't expect modern standards.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

chiasaur11 posted:

Bael's pretty alright. Basic IBO Gundam frame kit. Got more stickers than ideal, and the torso can get loose with time (especially given the heavy backpack) but it looks neat.

Providence is a kit from 2004, and it shows. Old joint setup, plenty of seam lines, awkward sculpt at points. The remaster is still basically the old kit with a few little modifications (and different colors) so, you know. It's got quirks. Not necessarily bad, but you shouldn't expect modern standards.

oh rip, didn't know the remaster is just the old one, I just want my big beefy Gundam in 1/144 (the MG looks amazing but I really can't be bothered to work on one right now)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2021/07/p-bandai-mg-1100-tallgeese-flugel.html

personally like the OG geese better but im sure people in here will love this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just want the drat lance

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kuvo posted:

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2021/07/p-bandai-mg-1100-tallgeese-flugel.html

loving P-Bandai!? :nallears:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kuvo posted:

Aaand it's gone. Looks like the first wave sold out almost immediately.

I'm trying to cut down on my hobby purchasing but I've been waiting for this one since they started the GoL equipment series.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bloody Pom posted:

loving P-Bandai!? :nallears:

Give it a year and Daban will KO it for half the price anyway. :v:

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Making HG Jegans a P-Bandai release seems downright cruel. Just give me the bathtub-colored mobile suit, Bandai! Don't make me navigate whether I actually want it or am getting FOMO'd to death!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just Dan Again posted:

Making HG Jegans a P-Bandai release seems downright cruel. Just give me the bathtub-colored mobile suit, Bandai! Don't make me navigate whether I actually want it or am getting FOMO'd to death!

HG baseline Jegans weren't P-Bandai. The original, Stark, and ECOAS are all regular releases.

These are just the F91 variants. Different gear, some changes to the parts, but basically the same as the original release.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

HG baseline Jegans weren't P-Bandai. The original, Stark, and ECOAS are all regular releases.

These are just the F91 variants. Different gear, some changes to the parts, but basically the same as the original release.

They're also fairly early PB releases so parts/color separation is pretty bad on the new equipment. If I remember correctly the red part of the shield on those is just one big sticker.

I think the assumption on earlier PB stuff is that their clientele were more serious builders willing to paint stuff and they were just providing the molds.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I want the limited edition Entry Grade kits that come in a can with corn pottage

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

got to try out panel lining something in blue to see how it feels, instead of the usual grey and black i use

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1412996589761728513

think she turned out pretty good

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sea Lily posted:

got to try out panel lining something in blue to see how it feels, instead of the usual grey and black i use

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1412996589761728513

think she turned out pretty good

Yeah that looks good.

May I feel was just way way let down by the articulation. In the anime her Mobile Doll form is notable for its fast-paced combat style and dynamic poses, but trying to put the model into any of them is impossible.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2021/07/p-bandai-rg-1144-hi-nu-gundam-hyper.html?m=1

RG hyper mega bazooka launcher confirmed for PB. :stonklol:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It looks bigger than the kit, do you think the arm will be able to hold it?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

wdarkk posted:

It looks bigger than the kit, do you think the arm will be able to hold it?

It is attached to a stand in the picture, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the mg ver ka never got this, as a 1/100 scale builder I must object to this grossly unfair treatment!