Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I've been procrastinating on episodes for quite a while, but I decided to catch up today and I have some thoughts about episodes 46-50 (I'm halfway through 50 while composing this)

46: Sefirotmon is a super cool concept, but while Frontier overused it to a crippling degree, here it was drastically underused. Angemon and Devimon's bit was great though.

47: I'll be honest, I skipped about half this episode, because it didn't feel like anything of actual consequence happened. No new form, no real character development, just felt like complete filler

48: The title of this episode had so much promise and then it just refused to deliver. Mugendramon was just a blank brick wall that took infinite punishment and didn't interact with the kids at all and then Taichi had to dig deeper to get a bit more courage...to force them to use their self-destruct trigger and....ugh. The writers even put in a flashback to the Mugendramon bit from the Devimon fight, but it didn't have any kind of payoff.

49: This episode also felt pretty filler-y, just killing time until Millenniummon and Taichi could return. However, Mimi's speech to Hikari and the rest of the team was awesome.

50: Goddramon and Holydramon look really really stupid. Why are they and Millenniummon the size of space stations? Why is this suddenly the end of Gurren Lagann?

More thoughts when I catch up to 55.

edit: OH poo poo THATS ZEED MILLENNIUMMON THIS poo poo JUST GOT SUPER REAL
.....is that a Spirit Bomb? Are they really doing this? Did they really introduce two new Megas just to give the final shot to Taichi?

there's still SIXTEEN episodes after this?

Maybe even more than that:

Larryb posted:

So it seems like Adventure: may be continuing on past the planned 66 episodes:

https://withthewill.net/threads/digimon-adventure-title-change-and-or-sequel-mentioned-in-october-gacha-pre-orders.25928/

Adventure is apparently what sells the most so I guess that’s all they’re ever going to do from now on, which kind of sucks in my opinion honestly as there are other seasons that deserve some more love as well (or better yet, make something completely new again).

The current series is watchable at least but it’s kind of been up and down in terms of quality during the course of its run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm holding my breath, but maybe they'll dip into 02. afaik keeping a timeslot in Japan is one of the most important things for a series so it's probably in Bandai's best interest to keep it going, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I'm holding my breath, but maybe they'll dip into 02. afaik keeping a timeslot in Japan is one of the most important things for a series so it's probably in Bandai's best interest to keep it going, right?

Well before there have been multi year long time gaps between Digimon shows (at least for a lot of the later ones) but maybe Bandai just wants to keep things moving along at this point. We’ll find out soon I imagine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Someone said Tamers is getting a thing at something called Digifest 2021.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Covok posted:

After seeing how they did this, I'm super wary of what they might do to Tamers.

If Konaka is onboard, I'll at least give it a look though.

Edit: 51 WHAT THE gently caress IS BOKOMON DOING HERE?!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Covok posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it. We did get this new image recently though:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

It's just an extended version of the audio drama we already had. There's no plans for a full series in spite of Konaka wanting it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

51 So is Nintendo going to sue for that blatant rip off of Kirby?

You know what, I'm totally fine with the kids getting Mechanorimon. I feel like they've earned some flying battlemechs

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 5, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Haven’t caught up with the past three or so episodes yet but at this point I’m kind of amused by how many people still haven’t come realized/come too terms with the fact that Taichi is this show’s Masaru yet and act shocked when he’s the one who gets to be the Big Hero all the time.

On the other hand I’m also kind of shocked that we’re likely getting more episodes past 66 considering how this series have been received. I’m fairly sure the show’s intended audience is ambivalent at best at this point.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Larryb posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it. We did get this new image recently though:

...Not sure if yamaki is pulling off that outfit. Glad he rates as a main/protagonist though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, he's one of the few 'serious' adult protagonists this franchise has ever pulled off to any degree of non FUBAR.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Satsuma’s alright.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There’s some real Guardromon and Marinangemon erasure on that Tamers 20th anniversary flag.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Seeing rika in a skirt feels wrong

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Haven’t caught up with the past three or so episodes yet but at this point I’m kind of amused by how many people still haven’t come realized/come too terms with the fact that Taichi is this show’s Masaru yet and act shocked when he’s the one who gets to be the Big Hero all the time.

I mean, to the first point he hasn't exactly been a big drat hero all the time, there have been an awful lot of episodes (including two of the last three) where he's done basically nothing despite being shoved in, and to the second there were a lot of episodes in Savers without Masaru as a prominent character and in many cases that's because they were focusing on someone else.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Seeing rika in a skirt feels wrong

She does looks really uncomfortable wearing it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Renamon is very proud of her sailor hat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Beyond what was already pointed out by Omnicrom, there's also a big difference between those two: Masaru had a personality. Hell, I can say that even of loving Tagiru, whose personality was intolerable and he sucked major rear end, but at least I could tell you what his character was, even if it was one-note and said note made me want to punch him in the face. There's just nothing about Taichi:, it's impressive just how much of a void of personality he is. Neither of his inspirations (Adventure and V-Tamer Taichi) were like this, so it makes me genuinely wonder if the writing team just really didn't get what made V-Tamer Taichi enjoyable or what.

So we have this nothing character that appears every single episode, hell, the series specifically breaks the party so all get their own individual adventures and Taichi is, somehow, always there. But he also appears for no reason - he didn't do poo poo here, barely mattered in the TonosamaGekomon episode, and could've been written out of the Rebellimon episode with nearly no changes (and there he was the only human character!). Whenever he is there for a reason, no one else gets to matter - the Millenniumon fight was just depressing in how Zeed appeared only to get one-shot by WarGreymon, invalidating the two Digimon that got their first evolution for that; or hell, the absolutely terrible BlitzGreymon appearance in a Koshiro episode.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This is probably my favorite art from the DCG. Volcanomon’s card has a great homage to it, too

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I love the “My dad could beat your dad” energy from that first card.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I come bringing cards. The next set in Japan is the Classic Collection, or EX-01, which uses the classic art. I haven’t been posting many of them because it’s old art and while the new cards are neat, they largely support existing decks rather than make new ones and describing how they support it gets into the weeds. There’s been some reveals recently, though, that are super neat and I want to show off.

We’ll start with the option cards (please forgive the low quality pic)

quote:

Baptism of Flames
[Main] Destroy a 6000DP or below Digimon with Blocker
[Sec] Activate [Main]

Ice Wall
[Main] All of your opponent's Digimon gain "[When Attacking] Memory-2 until the end of your opponent's next turn
[Sec] Memory +2

Ultimate Connection
[Main] You may discard 1 LV5 [Cyborg] type Digimon card from hand to get Memory +2 and <Draw 1>
[Sec] Activate [Main]
Source: @de_gi_no_gen_2
The important one is the black option card, Ultimate Connection.

quote:

MetalGreymon
[When Attacking] When this Digimon attacks a player, delete 1 of your opponents Digimon with 4000 DP or less.

Inherited: [Your Turn] While this Digimon has [Machine] or [Dragonkin] in its type, it gains <Piercing>.
This guy can evolve from red and black champions, and conditionally gives piercing, which red really needs (for reasons that go a bit into the weeds). It’s important to note that it has the type [Cyborg]

quote:

Megadramon
[On Play] Delete up to 2 of your opponent's Digimon with 3000 DP or less.
Inherited: [Your Turn] While this Digimon has [Machine] in its Type, this Digimon gains <Security Attack +1>.

Andromon
[When Digivolving] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Add 1 level 6 Digimon card with [Machine] in its type among them to your hand. Trash the remaining cards.
Inherited: [Opponent's Turn] While this Digimon has [Machine] in its Type, this Digimon gains <Blocker>.

MetalTyrannomon
[When Digivolving] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Add 1 level 6 Digimon card with [Machine] in its type among them to your hand. Trash the remaining cards.
Inherited: [Opponent's Turn] While this Digimon has [Machine] in its Type, this Digimon gains <Reboot>.

MetalMamemon
Inherited: [When Attacking] If this Digimon has [Machine] in its Type, delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with Play Cost of 5 or less.
All of these guys also are [Cyborg]

Finally, the Machine that ties it all together

quote:

Machinedramon
[On Play] You may place up to 5 Red or Black level 5 Digimon cards with [Cyborg] in their type with different Card Numbers from your Hand or Trash at the top of this Digimon's digivolution cards to gain 1 memory for each card placed.
[All Turns] This Digimon's DP cannot be reduced.
[All Turns] When this Digimon would be deleted, you may trash 2 level 5 Digimon cards from this Digimon's digivolution cards instead.

So you play Machinedramon and put all the Digimon it was made out of under it as sources, giving you a piercing reboot blocker with security attack+1 that pops smaller cards whenever he attacks. I love it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I love the effort they're putting into the classic card frames.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have the titles and info for the next episodes, courtesy of With the Will:

Episode 56- The Gold Wolf of the Crescent Moon (July 11th)
During the night, Yamato Ishida and his partner Gabumon encounter Zanbamon, a ghost-like Digimon who wields a giant sword and cuts down Digimon one after the other. They are unable to fight Zanbamon because all attacks pass through him. Yamato and Gabumon save Strabimon, the sole survivor of the attack, and learn from a small community who lives in fear of Zanbamon that there was once a swordsman Digimon who had locked Zanbamon away. In order to defeat Zanbamon, they would need the legendary sword that the swordsman used...

Episode 57- Contact from Destruction (July 18th)
Taichi Yagami and his partner Agumon wander into a mysterious temple. Awaiting them there are countless Child II Argomon. They surround Taichi and Agumon before evolving to Adult. One of them evolves even further to Perfect, and challenge Taichi and Agumon to a life-threatening "Experiment and Proof." Taichi is taken by the Adult levels, while Agumon is trapped in a strange area. What is the Perfect level Argomon up to, and what is its real identity?

Episode 58- Light of New Life (July 25th)
Taichi's sister Hikari, with her partner Tailmon, and Yamato's brother Takeru Takaishi, with his partner Patamon, visit the land that Petaldramon had turned into a forest. This was apparently the destination that Hikari was seeking. The forest had become a place where Digieggs, the eggs that Digimon hatch from, were nurtured, and the group reunites with Muchomon and the others. According to them, Soulmon would appear from time to time to prevent some of the Digieggs from hatching, which was how Muchomon and them ended up protecting them. Taichi and Agumon join up with them, but soon after, they are attacked by SkullBaluchimon, a Digimon who abhors "life" with a passion and smelled the arrival of the holy Digimon. Taichi and the others flee into the forest carrying the soon-to-hatch Digieggs, while Hikari and HolyAngemon remain behind to protect the remaining Digieggs and face SkullBaluchimon...

Episode 59- Electric Light, HerculesKabuterimon (August 1st)
Guided by the Crest of Knowledge, Koushiro Izumi and his partner Tentomon return to the great canyon of overlapping rocks. Awaiting the both of them there was Nanomon, a knowledge-crazed Digimon. To decide who was the true user of knowledge, Nanomon challenges Koushiro to a puzzle game. Taichi joins up with Koushiro, and to save Whamon who is held hostage, they face the dungeon that Nanomon has prepared. However, it becomes apparent that every time a puzzle is incorrectly solved in that dungeon, one of their friends is taken away.

Episode 60- Vikemon, Conquerer of the Glaciers (August 8th)
Due to an unknown cause, the hot springs where Jou Kido and his partner Gomamon are staying at dry out. If nothing is done soon, all of the Digimon living at the hot spring will freeze. As the leader, Jou decides to head to a paradise of legend located in the south. Along the way, he happens to run into Mimi Tachikawa and Palmon, and the two join together to continue the journey. However, a group of pirates led by Olegmon attack them, and Jou is taken as a prisoner of war.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Taichi shoehorning in continues, I guess.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

The Taichi shoehorning in continues, I guess.

At least the Yamato episode and the Joe/Mimi episode don't mention him so maybe we get those two eps as a break. Maybe.

In other news, we got a revival of an old toy line! One that was important enough for the franchise to make a full new Digimon based on it (Mimicmon). It's an old one too, if you like the rough aesthetic of early Digimon, it's your kind of line. But now it has new Digimon in it!

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1413281214295801858
https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1413281960802193409

Also Volcano Ota will be on this week's episode. It's unclear if he's voicing himself again or a random Digimon as he's done both in the past. He may be Zanbamon or Strabimon.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Betamon looks so cute.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Alternate art for the memory boost cards

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Preview of the 02 Kizuna albums, with songs by the VAs of the 02 cast (their Last Evolution Kizuna VAs, to be exact) and their Digimon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMAMR_yhzaE

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Strabimon is being voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

Strabimon is being voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya.

I mean, who else?

As for the episode proper, two points in its favor: firstly when Taichi needlessly showed up again he at least had the excuse of being sent there to help by Koushirou who we previously saw Yamato explicitly talking to. That is way better than him just randomly showing up in the previous episodes because of the magic compass. Secondly, they actually bothered evolving to Ultimate to fight Zanbamon which is better than the show usually is. For so long the show has been dancing around the fact Agumon can evolve to WarGreymon, so I'm glad he actually did in a situation where he should have as opposed to a couple of episodes back with Boltmon. On the other hand, they stayed as Metal Greymon for the final battle so partial credit only.

The episode was also kind of, I want to say hollow? It was nowhere near as bad as the Blitz Greymon episode which is probably the worst in the entire series so far, but man did this one not amount to much. It's also laughable they had an entire evolution sequence on tap for Cresc Garurumon but the actual battle was done entirely in one shot runs and unsurprisingly they sucked. The episode did basically nothing with either Gabumon or Yamato. For a moment I thought they were going to do something interesting and suggest that Gabumon actually had been Cresc Garurumon sometime in his past life from the first time they thought Millenniumon, and maybe the reason he would full on kill Zanbamon this time was because Yamato made him stronger, but that doesn't really seem to be the case in the former and it wasn't demonstrated in the latter.

It really is kind of sad how little the show has done with its characters even 56 episodes in. There are a couple of moments here and there for a couple of the people, but there's really no strong relational dynamic between the characters and no real dramatic tension amongst them. They really just seem to be half remembered versions of these characters from 99. I keep making cracks about how the show has Angemon finally being as important as people remember him, or Taichi as central as people think he was, but like so many jokes I really mean it. This feels like a remake of Digimon Adventure by people who haven't seen Digimon Adventure in over a decade, and that's too bad. After the first couple of episodes I really did think this show had real potential and a clear idea of want it wanted to be, but I don't think it did well by either of those.

If Agumon goes Burst Mode I'm out. On the other hand if Strabimon shows up again as reinforcements in the final battle having evolved to Beowolfmon I'll cut this episode a little bit of slack in hindsight.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

56 WHAT THE gently caress IS TAICHI DOING HERE?!

Kouji's VA hanging out with Yamato and Garurumon was pretty cool.

The visual of Yamato wielding that gigantic halberd is hilarious.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
New DoneDevimon card art (it’s a fan translation, hence the DanDevimon name)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dan Devimon, owner of the Devisdale Devidome.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If nothing else, Adventure: gave us the best version of Devimon, at least.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1415144017881452548?s=21

The online reference book added the categories “armor body” and “digimental”. Does it mean anything? Probably not, but one can hope

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Adventure 20 Episode 57: that was a completely serviceable episode, actually, I can't help but feel like it would have been significantly better in another season with a different protagonist. In an episode strongly predicated on characterization and how well Taichi and Agumon know each other it feels like it still came up a little short, and sadly a big part of that is how little the show is actually done with Taichi for as smotheringly present as he's been. Except for Xros Wars, I think every other season of Digimon could have just done more with this idea with their protagonist (you'd have to shuffle things around to make Frontier work, but it still could. Maybe use the twins?) Heck, V-Tamers basically did a similar set up at least twice, once against Vamdemon and once while they were fighting Sigma.

On the other hand, the show is continuing its streak of having pretty good episodes about the Digimon partners, so that's at least nice. They've also had pretty consistently good Hikari episodes so looking forward to next week.

Minor quibble, but would it kill someone to actually give a name to the upcoming main villain already?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Watching this episode, I'm wondering if they're planning to bring things full circle and finish with Apocalymon.

I would honestly be kind of okay with that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wonder if someone’s going to do a super cut of, like, the good Adventure 20 episodes, in an order that makes sense, with some of the gratuitous Taichi cut out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A youtuber/streamer did a tier list for what he thinks the English Digimon tcg meta will be once the new set comes out in a couple weeks.

Pretty healthy format

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So it seems like some more Vital Bracelet stuff may have leaked in the same manner as those Kamen Rider and Ultraman DiMs.

I'm still waiting for Bandai to officially announce the Dynasty of Evil DiM that's supposedly going to come with the DiM card holster which some SEA sellers had in their listings, so take all this with a grain of salt. But Sept/Oct would be around when the reboot is theorized to end and that Vital Bracelet listing is calling it a digivice so we could be looking at an upgraded vital bracelet or one with just a different shell if we wanna temper expectations.

Either way I would be down with a new series that featured the Vital Bracelet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeping Sigma posted:

So it seems like some more Vital Bracelet stuff may have leaked in the same manner as those Kamen Rider and Ultraman DiMs.

I'm still waiting for Bandai to officially announce the Dynasty of Evil DiM that's supposedly going to come with the DiM card holster which some SEA sellers had in their listings, so take all this with a grain of salt. But Sept/Oct would be around when the reboot is theorized to end and that Vital Bracelet listing is calling it a digivice so we could be looking at an upgraded vital bracelet or one with just a different shell if we wanna temper expectations.

Either way I would be down with a new series that featured the Vital Bracelet.

...Who are they?