Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Once Ive shelled a broad bean, how long have I got before I use it? Can I do that prep the night before? Should I blanch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Going to make my own pasta for the first time this weekend. Recommendations for a simple sauce to go with? Nothing too complicated in case I mess up the pasta.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Stupid Decisions posted:

Going to make my own pasta for the first time this weekend. Recommendations for a simple sauce to go with? Nothing too complicated in case I mess up the pasta.

Crushed tomatoes, red wine, a little balsamic, herbs and seasonings to your liking.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stupid Decisions posted:

What kind of pasta?

As a generic answer: Melt half a stick of butter in a stockpot, add a can (28oz) of tomatoes to the pot, half a large onion (or all of a small one), simmer for at least 45 minutes, longer if you want more of a Sunday gravy kind of thing and less of a fresh red sauce kind of thing. Adjust salt with a dash of fish sauce to taste if you have fish sauce, salt otherwise. That's the base. You can add whatever seasonings you like in a basic red sauce. I'll shred/chiffonaide some fresh basil and throw it in at the end if I have fresh basil, some oregano or whatever if I don't.

Since basil is in season you could make a pesto: salt and a couple cloves of garlic in a m&p, grind to paste; add a handful of pine nuts, grind; a shitload of basil leaves, grind; some fine grated parm or p. reggiano, a little olive oil, done. Commonly paired with flat pastas, ultratraditionally mandilli de saea. But if that's not what you're making (and I assume it isn't) it'll go with more or less anything, although flat pastas with more surface area and round guys like penne/mostaccioli work "best".

Al burro: toss the hot pasta with roughly equal parts parm and butter. Usually paired with a flat pasta like fettuccine.

Aglio e olio: saut a bunch of minced/sliced garlic, add some crushed red pepper if that's how you roll, cover with olive oil, let set while you're doing the pasta, then toss with the pasta. Usually paired with spaghetti.

And oh yeah, cacio e pepe seems to be having a moment so there's that: grind a shitload of black pepper and grate a shitload of p. reggiano. Boil your pasta. Take a ladle of the pasta water, add it to the pepper, throw in your pasta and the cheese, toss.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Bluedeanie posted:

Crushed tomatoes, red wine, a little balsamic, herbs and seasonings to your liking.

SubG posted:

What kind of pasta?

As a generic answer: Melt half a stick of butter in a stockpot, add a can (28oz) of tomatoes to the pot, half a large onion (or all of a small one), simmer for at least 45 minutes, longer if you want more of a Sunday gravy kind of thing and less of a fresh red sauce kind of thing. Adjust salt with a dash of fish sauce to taste if you have fish sauce, salt otherwise. That's the base. You can add whatever seasonings you like in a basic red sauce. I'll shred/chiffonaide some fresh basil and throw it in at the end if I have fresh basil, some oregano or whatever if I don't.

Since basil is in season you could make a pesto: salt and a couple cloves of garlic in a m&p, grind to paste; add a handful of pine nuts, grind; a shitload of basil leaves, grind; some fine grated parm or p. reggiano, a little olive oil, done. Commonly paired with flat pastas, ultratraditionally mandilli de saea. But if that's not what you're making (and I assume it isn't) it'll go with more or less anything, although flat pastas with more surface area and round guys like penne/mostaccioli work "best".

Al burro: toss the hot pasta with roughly equal parts parm and butter. Usually paired with a flat pasta like fettuccine.

Aglio e olio: saut a bunch of minced/sliced garlic, add some crushed red pepper if that's how you roll, cover with olive oil, let set while you're doing the pasta, then toss with the pasta. Usually paired with spaghetti.

And oh yeah, cacio e pepe seems to be having a moment so there's that: grind a shitload of black pepper and grate a shitload of p. reggiano. Boil your pasta. Take a ladle of the pasta water, add it to the pepper, throw in your pasta and the cheese, toss.

Thanks both for the excellent suggestions.

Looking to keep the pasta simple so probably a fettuccine for the first go. Pesto is actually a great idea as I normally avoid due to allergy issues with a family member but they are away at the moment.

Adding the rest to my recipe list to try with future pastas.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What happens if you try and make chicken stock in a pressure cooker but instead of using water you use chicken stock? Does the stock become further fortified or are there diminishing returns on this sort of thing and it won't extract as much flavour? I'm ending up with a lot of chicken bits and I don't want to bin them, but equally I'm not getting through all the stock I'm making.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I dont know where the limit is, but Ive definitely turned a case of 25lbs of carcasses into 8qts of really rich stock.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What happens if you try and make chicken stock in a pressure cooker but instead of using water you use chicken stock? Does the stock become further fortified or are there diminishing returns on this sort of thing and it won't extract as much flavour? I'm ending up with a lot of chicken bits and I don't want to bin them, but equally I'm not getting through all the stock I'm making.

It would be a bit like reducing stock by boiling down the volume.

I usually make my regular stock and then reduce the volume by half and toss into ice cube trays then pop the frozen cubes into a bag in the freezer. Makes it a lot more versatile.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Stupid Decisions posted:

My favorite: https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-italian-amercian-red-sauce-recipe

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Stupid Decisions posted:

Looking to keep the pasta simple so probably a fettuccine for the first go. Pesto is actually a great idea as I normally avoid due to allergy issues with a family member but they are away at the moment.

What are the allergy issues? You can probably work around them and have a pesto-like substance that tastes just fine, just don't let any Italians see you doing it or you'll break their hearts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What hearts

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do we have a general desserts thread? I know there's a cookie thread but I was wondering if there was something a bit wider in scope.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
There's also the Cake thread, but it's years old and 67 pages, it'd be better just to start a new sweet tooth thread for desserts, sweets, candies and such.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This is what Ive heard called double stock and if you have such a wealth of chicken bits you should definitely make it. Never done it under pressure like that but I can only see it improving things.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Happiness Commando posted:

Right. Because the point is thermal mass - not avoiding warping - so no one had obviously inferior heat sinks when compared to 3/8" steels. They exist, they're just not ideal for making more than a few pizzas in a row without needing reheating. Since you aren't baking bread, they might occupy the sweet spot you seem to be looking for, which is a sturdy enough piece of metal that won't warp whose heat storage characteristics are fairly unimportant.

The top 5 results on Amazon for "1/4 inch baking steel" are examples of 1/4" baking steels. . And any metal shop local to you will sell you A36 sheet stock (preferably HRPO) in whatever dimensions you require. I got my steel from metalsupermarkets.com and I've also given them custom orders for other pieces of metal I need fabricated.

I also got mine from an online shop to-order. I discovered I can get long A36 angled steel that I could cut to fit around the perimeter and get into welding. Somebody on Instructables apparently did that with 1/8" steel and it holds up. I to consider that along with weight and what extra crap I'm getting into. Say, a 1/4" steel panel would literally be twice as heavy as what I'm using already. Or maybe I can just get a place to weld that poo poo for me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yeah, always reduce your stock unless youre using it there and then.

I generally reduce over the course of a delicious smelling day, as low heat as possible, until I am down to about 10% of the original volume. I like the ice cube tray idea, but I put mine into a Tupperware container in the fridge overnight. The next day, it is like a rubber brick of collagen, which I cut into cubes with a knife, and freeze these.

Any time I need stock, or want to punch up the umami in a sauce, I just throw a couple of these cubes into a pan.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, always reduce your stock unless youre using it there and then.

I generally reduce over the course of a delicious smelling day, as low heat as possible, until I am down to about 10% of the original volume. I like the ice cube tray idea, but I put mine into a Tupperware container in the fridge overnight. The next day, it is like a rubber brick of collagen, which I cut into cubes with a knife, and freeze these.

Any time I need stock, or want to punch up the umami in a sauce, I just throw a couple of these cubes into a pan.

This is what I do, for a chicken 'demi glace' - I'm just creating more than I'm using. Feels a bit like paying into a chicken pension.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The answer to that is clear: use more

Put stock in everything

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

angerbeet posted:

What are the allergy issues? You can probably work around them and have a pesto-like substance that tastes just fine, just don't let any Italians see you doing it or you'll break their hearts.

It's a very mild pine nut allergy and a bit of googling suggested to substitute with walnuts or macadamias. May make up two batches to see the difference.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Stupid Decisions posted:

It's a very mild pine nut allergy and a bit of googling suggested to substitute with walnuts or macadamias. May make up two batches to see the difference.

pine nuts are so expensive that when making pesto i almost always use a different nut or seed (or leaf(s) - parsley, carrot tops, mint, scallions, anything you can think of is probably good). walnuts are great, sunflower seeds are also nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I use pecans or walnut in my pesto all the time. Cashew sometimes as well. It all works pretty good

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Peanuts work too, but whisper that quietly because people will judge you for it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bluedeanie posted:

Peanuts work too, but whisper that quietly because people will judge you for it.

Peanuts are good in everything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I like peanuts a lot but I felt that the taste was too distinctive in pesto, ymmv.

I use unsweetened peanut butter and sesame oil instead of tahini in hummus tho.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Now I'm thinking about if I should try and make some type of pesto with peanuts, thai basil, chili, and maybe something more. Fish sauce maybe, and sesame oil.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Tbh I prefer walnut pesto over pinenuts

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That Works posted:

I like peanuts a lot but I felt that the taste was too distinctive in pesto, ymmv.

I use unsweetened peanut butter and sesame oil instead of tahini in hummus tho.

It's amazing how close unsweetened roasted peanut butter is to roasted sesame paste.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

Now I'm thinking about if I should try and make some type of pesto with peanuts, thai basil, chili, and maybe something more. Fish sauce maybe, and sesame oil.
Add cilantro, ginger, and garlic and leave out the sesame oil and I make that all the time to put on grilled shrimp. I drizzle the shrimp in soy sauce mixed with sesame oil at the end so it doesn't burn on the grill.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

fizzymercury posted:

Add cilantro, ginger, and garlic and leave out the sesame oil and I make that all the time to put on grilled shrimp. I drizzle the shrimp in soy sauce mixed with sesame oil at the end so it doesn't burn on the grill.

That does sound like a very solid plan.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Not a nut substitute, but garlic scape pesto is pretty amazing. (you need to like garlic a lot though).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

enki42 posted:

Not a nut substitute, but garlic scape pesto is pretty amazing. (you need to like garlic a lot though).

Could you link a recipe? These are easier for me to obtain (and longer lasting) than fresh basil, but I keep forgetting to try making it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I just got some baby bok choy, any ideas on what to do with it? Keep the recipes relatively simple please.
Also good recommendations on soy sauce? Big plus if I can get it at Costco.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

I just got some baby bok choy, any ideas on what to do with it? Keep the recipes relatively simple please.

https://thewoksoflife.com/garlic-baby-bok-choy/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

One thing I do is Chef John's Bok Choy rice with some light variations. I cut the bottom off to separate the leaves, then cut the stems across the grain pretty thin and throw them in with the rice. While that's going I'll chiffonade the leaves and throw them in after cooking. The residual heat will soften them up.

For the tiny leaves that aren't worth cutting up I'll just cook them in soup or with noodles.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 8, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

Cut the bok choy into roughly equal-sized pieces, heat a couple Tbsp of oil, add a bunch of minced garlic, throw in the bok choy, saut for like 30 seconds, season with salt and white pepper to taste, done.

I also like throwing baby bok choy leaves into soups--bigger leaves cut in half lengthwise, smaller leaves whole, blanched for ~30 seconds in boiling water, drain in a colander or whatever, then into the bowl for serving. When the garden is producing boy choy I go through a lot of it this way, making ramen, Taiwanese beef noodle soup, whatever.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Slice them in half, brush with a mix of oyster sauce, sesame oil, and shaoxing, sear cut side down until lightly browned, brush with the same mix again, finish with fresh grated ginger and white pepper. My personal favorite, gives a good mix of flavors and textures.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Thanks for all the good ideas! I'll have to do the garlic sauteed ones, as much as I love Bak Choy in dumpling soup, I am not equipped to make dumpling soup. Also don't have white pepper, is that something sold at Costco?

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Should be. They have it at mine in PDX. I keep a grinder for each next to the stove. I put WP in pretty much any protein coating, it smells super punchy, but reads more smoky pungent when cooked.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

Also don't have white pepper, is that something sold at Costco?
Probably? Does Costco sell McCormick spices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I dont think any of the Costcos in urban Indiana have white pepper. I got mine from Penzeys as I do whenever I remember more than 1 day ahead that I need a particular spice for a recipe, which isnt very often.