Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can’t be a tree of heaven because they have opposite leaf pairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pecan or walnut is my guess

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CommonShore posted:

I had 2.5 beds that didn't germinate well and then got overrun by elm seeds.

I have about 66 days left until first frost. Any suggestions for what I can direct sow there through a prospective hot/dry July/August? I'm thinking about maybe cucumbers.

Cucumbers and bush beans are the two big ones. Plant dense. Your cucumbers won't have time to really vine like crazy, so just get a ton of plants in the ground and harvest them young. You can fit loads of cukes in a small space if you aren't concerned about letting the plants run wild.

I'd also be tempted to try zucchini/summer squash. My zucchini were producing ~40 days after transplant this year and the seeds that went straight into the bed were producing about two weeks later. They're usually pretty fast and if you've got 50-60 days of warm weather I think you can probably get a decent crop.

What about using some of that space for a fall crop, too? You can start plenty of stuff indoors and transplant when the temps start dropping.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sexy tiger boobs posted:

The leaves kinda look like tree of heaven, in which case hopefully the caterpillar eats em all.

Good news: it's curry leaf

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Paradoxish posted:

Cucumbers and bush beans are the two big ones. Plant dense. Your cucumbers won't have time to really vine like crazy, so just get a ton of plants in the ground and harvest them young. You can fit loads of cukes in a small space if you aren't concerned about letting the plants run wild.

I'd also be tempted to try zucchini/summer squash. My zucchini were producing ~40 days after transplant this year and the seeds that went straight into the bed were producing about two weeks later. They're usually pretty fast and if you've got 50-60 days of warm weather I think you can probably get a decent crop.

What about using some of that space for a fall crop, too? You can start plenty of stuff indoors and transplant when the temps start dropping.

Fall crops fully outdoors aren't really a thing here because we start getting frost in early September and hard freezes come October :/ My plan is to grow fall crops all winter in the greenhouse once I winterize it with double-layer poly, interior cold frames, and a few other amenities.

Bush beans and cucumbers it is. I didn't actually know that about cucumbers! The wisdom I always absorbed on them was to spread them the hell out. I threw some more carrots and turnips in, too because they can handle some frosts.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Bush beans and cucumbers it is. I didn't actually know that about cucumbers! The wisdom I always absorbed on them was to spread them the hell out. I threw some more carrots and turnips in, too because they can handle some frosts.

I routinely put 5-6 cucumber plants in a half wine barrel. They'd grow perfectly and vertically on the trellising. If you're not already growing greens, I'd throw in some chards or collards too. They'll do fine starting now and will hang on into fall crop territory, but not into frost territory unless they're in your polytunnel.

Now that it's been hot enough here, my garden is exploding in the best of ways. All my 1 year old peppers are getting bushy and starting to put out flowers that might actually set. The tomatoes needed extra support even with judicious pruning this year. I had to build the okra their own little row coverings though. It's not been hot consistently enough, but they like their covers and are actually growing now. The eggplants are growing and look really cool with their large leaves. I'm debating buying a roll of poly and making myself some mini row tunnels for my beds so I can work on fall cropping too.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Oh yeah, definitely chard, I don't know how that slipped my mind. We've had a bunch of chard plants producing like champs right through 90F+ weather, and we've got big second crops coming in right now. They produce quickly and they're mostly happy in anything shy of really brutal heat, and even then you're probably okay if you can get some shade cloth or something. If you don't like the beet-ish taste that some of them have, look for the kind with the lighter stems. Less pretty, but taste more like spinach.

Cucumbers are definitely pretty happy being jammed in. We've got 12 plants growing in the center of a 4x4 bed, with some kale and green onions growing on the outside of the same bed. Too hot to harvest the kale now, but we're just letting it grow through the summer and we'll start harvesting again when temperatures drop. The cucumbers don't mind being packed in with it, though, and they're happily producing away in their little 2x4ish trellised area in the middle.

We've actually got a second crop of cucumbers in containers waiting in the wings, too. They were supposed to replace our sugar snap peas, but those things are hanging on through the heat somehow and keep producing so we've been leaving them alone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The spots I'm replanting now were originally chard, beets, and parsnips. None of the parsnips germinated (though the ones in the polytunnel did), maybe 2 chard, and 25% of the beets. I have a few more chard plants down around here and there which were from my previous round of replants.

It's really a strange year for beets: my MIL, who lives 100 km away, had the exact same thing happen with hers. They're just tiny and pathetic and struggling every step of the way. It couldn't be the seeds because I planted 2 varieties from 3 packs of ranging from brand new to 2 years old in different rows/beds and got the same results all around. Right now my biggest beets are maybe 30mm tall whereas they'd usually be 3x that size by now. The chard is following a similar pattern.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I finally have cucumbers and beans that haven't been consumed by pests. I have hope for the okra sprouts, too. Fortunately we have a really long growing season, so I'll see something from it in a few months, I think.

And jesus the figs. Last year was not great. What figs we had were eaten by birds or rats or both. This year they can't keep up. I've pulled a couple of gallons off already and it's still full of ripe and semi-ripe fruit. I should have topped it a few years ago, because it's 15 feet high at this point, and it's in a corner of my back yard, meaning there's some parts of it I can't easily access.

I have roasted figs with and without sugar and/or wrapped in prosciutto, stuffed them with goat cheese mousse, fried them in thinly-sliced ham and right now I have a ginger-thyme-lemon jam going. I guess I'll make ice cream and some chutney at some point. And just keep eating them out of hand.

ickna
May 19, 2004

loving aphids. I have been trying increased concentrations of neem oil in soapy water over the last few weeks on these assholes who seem to love my indoor hydro lettuce and tabasco pepper clones, but they just won't go away. None of my outdoor plants have them, presumably somebody out there is enjoying snacking on them. I'm getting precariously close to ordering a box of ladybugs from amazon and letting them loose in the spare room where I'm growing.

Outdoors, things are going pretty well. I have three Kratky San Marzano tomato plants on my S/SW facing porch in 5 gal buckets that are doing alright. They had some blossom end rot on the first couple of fruits that I pruned but they seem to have gotten over that with a little calcium chloride spray treatment over a couple of evenings. Now they are mostly fighting the 90f daytime temps and plenty of sunlight, so they are a bit wilty by the time I get home from work. I have been spraying them with plain water when I get home to give them a little evaporative cooling, but I think the majority of their wilt is because the temps of the nutrient solution are coming up to 85f+ by the late afternoon.

I wish I had the room to do a proper plumbing DWC setup for them, but the best I can manage is an air pump and stones in each bucket. I have been cutting off suckers as much as I can and then rooting them for practice.. I now have way more plants that I can actually grow out, so plenty to give away or some backups if a storm takes my established ones out. I have a couple in a 7 gal storage bucket growing Kratky style in the back patio (N/NE facing) to see which side of the apartment they prefer. Several of the sucker clones have been potted into 5/10gal soil fabric planters and seem to be quite happy back there as well, catching up to their parents quickly. The front porch ones are shorter and bushier and the ones on the back porch are taller and a little later on setting their fruit so far.

I have two cucumber plants growing out of a 5 gal bucket out front with the same airstone setup and they have been going gangbusters after conquering powdery mildew a few months ago. Hydrogen peroxide and a drop of soap with a spray bottle took care of most of it, along with pruning any leaves that were obviously too far gone.

Tabasco pepper plants are doing well, I have four in two 7 gallon storage boxes growing Kratky style on the back patio. They get 6 hours of sunlight split between morning and evening, which seems to be their sweet spot. They bloomed over the last week or two and are starting to set some fruits. I have one more plant in the front with the tomato plants as a check to see which side of the apartment they prefer, and it had a hard time getting established with deformed leaves and stunted growth during May/early June, but it has caught up to the hydro plants and set fruit as well now... so I am not really sure what to plan on for next year; I think I might do all peppers out front in 5 gal buckets, and San Marzano tomatoes in the back in the 7 gal containers.

Here are some pics showing what I've got going on:

Indoor hydroponic rack:

Back porch:

Front porch:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm very envious of all of that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ickna posted:

loving aphids. I have been trying increased concentrations of neem oil in soapy water over the last few weeks on these assholes who seem to love my indoor hydro lettuce and tabasco pepper clones, but they just won't go away. None of my outdoor plants have them, presumably somebody out there is enjoying snacking on them. I'm getting precariously close to ordering a box of ladybugs from amazon and letting them loose in the spare room where I'm growing.

Outdoors, things are going pretty well. I have three Kratky San Marzano tomato plants on my S/SW facing porch in 5 gal buckets that are doing alright. They had some blossom end rot on the first couple of fruits that I pruned but they seem to have gotten over that with a little calcium chloride spray treatment over a couple of evenings. Now they are mostly fighting the 90f daytime temps and plenty of sunlight, so they are a bit wilty by the time I get home from work. I have been spraying them with plain water when I get home to give them a little evaporative cooling, but I think the majority of their wilt is because the temps of the nutrient solution are coming up to 85f+ by the late afternoon.

I wish I had the room to do a proper plumbing DWC setup for them, but the best I can manage is an air pump and stones in each bucket. I have been cutting off suckers as much as I can and then rooting them for practice.. I now have way more plants that I can actually grow out, so plenty to give away or some backups if a storm takes my established ones out. I have a couple in a 7 gal storage bucket growing Kratky style in the back patio (N/NE facing) to see which side of the apartment they prefer. Several of the sucker clones have been potted into 5/10gal soil fabric planters and seem to be quite happy back there as well, catching up to their parents quickly. The front porch ones are shorter and bushier and the ones on the back porch are taller and a little later on setting their fruit so far.

I have two cucumber plants growing out of a 5 gal bucket out front with the same airstone setup and they have been going gangbusters after conquering powdery mildew a few months ago. Hydrogen peroxide and a drop of soap with a spray bottle took care of most of it, along with pruning any leaves that were obviously too far gone.

Tabasco pepper plants are doing well, I have four in two 7 gallon storage boxes growing Kratky style on the back patio. They get 6 hours of sunlight split between morning and evening, which seems to be their sweet spot. They bloomed over the last week or two and are starting to set some fruits. I have one more plant in the front with the tomato plants as a check to see which side of the apartment they prefer, and it had a hard time getting established with deformed leaves and stunted growth during May/early June, but it has caught up to the hydro plants and set fruit as well now... so I am not really sure what to plan on for next year; I think I might do all peppers out front in 5 gal buckets, and San Marzano tomatoes in the back in the 7 gal containers.

Here are some pics showing what I've got going on:

Indoor hydroponic rack:

Back porch:

Front porch:

There's a hydroponic thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Definitely a heat problem with those small storage containers. I turned one of the big ones into a water container with a little spout out the bottom and even filled with ice cold water from the hose turns into a lukewarm bath in the 100f afternoon.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
This morning I went out to check on my dill seedlings and the true leaves had fallen off most of them. Googling tells me this is probably damping off, which makes sense since we've had an unusually wet and cool couple of weeks.

So: what do I do next? Wait for them all to die, then try again? It looks like I need to completely dump out my current bucket of soil, wash it, and start fresh with a new batch of soil. Does that sound correct?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I doubt you need to wash it if it’s just overly wet soil in a container; the seedlings may have drowned but you can just turn the soil over in the container for a couple days to dry it out and replant.
If I were to do that to the soil, I’d use a spoon to scoop the plans out first and put them in tiny pots or plastic containers like cherry tomatoes or raspberries come in to see if they still want to live.

Here’s a maple sapling that lost all its leaves in October and has sat in this pot as a one inch twig for this entire time until sprouting leaves a week ago.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 9, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

i am harry posted:

I doubt you need to wash it if it’s just overly wet soil in a container; the seedlings may have drowned but you can just turn the soil over in the container for a couple days to dry it out and replant.
If I were to do that to the soil, I’d use a spoon to scoop the plans out first and put them in tiny pots or plastic containers like cherry tomatoes or raspberries come in to see if they still want to live.

Here’s a maple sapling that lost all its leaves in October and has sat in this pot as a one inch twig for this entire time until sprouting leaves a week ago.

Consider giving that sapling a hit of slow release fertilizer. Something like 7-2-2 or similar.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I've got a couple pumpkin plants poised to take over the back part of our yard that we don't really use. I know the white coating on the big leaves in the top center part of the photo are powdery mildew and I'm getting some fungicides to treat that. But what about the light spots along the veins on most of the other leaves? Is that a nutrient deficiency?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

i am harry posted:

I don't know, about half of them had that really thin section at the base of the stem. :ohdear:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So, I know by now that just because a plant wilts a little bit in direct sunlight (especially when it's 35C out) doesn't mean it's thirsty.

But I'm not sure what else could explain why one (and only one) of my pepper plants is wilting a little bit? Side by side comparison of 2 of them:

I think I should just go ahead and water it, even though the top of the soil seems damp, it doesn't mean it's irrigated all the way to the bottom of the pot... Could there be anything else explaining this stress? It's by far the most productive of my plants, maybe actually a bit too much for the pot size, I'm wondering if I should pinch a couple of extra blossoms?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jan posted:

So, I know by now that just because a plant wilts a little bit in direct sunlight (especially when it's 35C out) doesn't mean it's thirsty.

But I'm not sure what else could explain why one (and only one) of my pepper plants is wilting a little bit? Side by side comparison of 2 of them:

I think I should just go ahead and water it, even though the top of the soil seems damp, it doesn't mean it's irrigated all the way to the bottom of the pot... Could there be anything else explaining this stress? It's by far the most productive of my plants, maybe actually a bit too much for the pot size, I'm wondering if I should pinch a couple of extra blossoms?

They can wilt when you over water them too as it keeps them from nutrient uptake by drowning. I'd actually tuck them a little closer together so that the dirt gets a bit more shade when they're back in business.

But first see just how wet that one on the right is by sticking your finger in down to like 4-5 inches. If it's super wet, I'd try to dry out the dirt, or scoop some out and leave it to dry before mixing it back in. Maybe move it to an edge where the wind is going to pick up more of the moisture for a day or two as well. 35C is not a problem for peppers and pinching the flowers won't do anything for it. They'll drop on their own if they're not getting their food.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

I've got a couple pumpkin plants poised to take over the back part of our yard that we don't really use. I know the white coating on the big leaves in the top center part of the photo are powdery mildew and I'm getting some fungicides to treat that. But what about the light spots along the veins on most of the other leaves? Is that a nutrient deficiency?

Looks like powdery mildew and some kind of caterpillar. All the powdery mildew affected leaves really need to be removed pretty aggressively or it will get ugly quickly. Any affected stuff pulled from the garden should really be burned away from the garden if possible.

Seeing any white moths around them at night? Flip leaves over and look for worms.

mischief fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 10, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Welp, I'm not going to worry about damping off for my remaining seedlings, although I will read a little more and adjust some stuff in my bucket.

I went outside to view my remaining seedlings, wondering who survived the night with their leaves intact. Instead, I found this:

A completely empty bucket! No leaf debris at all, no fallen-over stems, nothing. Except...

One very satisfied caterpillar making its way out of my bucket.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ah well, you might be better off starting them inside on a window sill. It’s really amazing how big a plant can get in a small pot and my plan next year is to keep all of mine in very small containers until they’re bursting, rather than put them into large containers when they’re small because this sort of thing seems to happen more often, especially what you mentioned about the stems shriveling.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

i am harry posted:

Ah well, you might be better off starting them inside on a window sill. It’s really amazing how big a plant can get in a small pot and my plan next year is to keep all of mine in very small containers until they’re bursting, rather than put them into large containers when they’re small because this sort of thing seems to happen more often, especially what you mentioned about the stems shriveling.

Dill's not a good transplanter from what I read due to its long taproot, but you can be darn sure my basil is starting indoors next year. I know that'll survive a transplant.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jhet posted:

But first see just how wet that one on the right is by sticking your finger in down to like 4-5 inches. If it's super wet, I'd try to dry out the dirt, or scoop some out and leave it to dry before mixing it back in. Maybe move it to an edge where the wind is going to pick up more of the moisture for a day or two as well. 35C is not a problem for peppers and pinching the flowers won't do anything for it. They'll drop on their own if they're not getting their food.

Yeah, I would never allow any of my pots to get "super wet". It's still moist halfway down the pot, just not wet. The plant perked back up in the evening so I'm not super concerned, I just found it odd that only one of the plants would be reacting like that. And because it's the one that's the most productive, I don't want it to die before I get a couple of those er jing tiao. :saddowns:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jan posted:

Yeah, I would never allow any of my pots to get "super wet". It's still moist halfway down the pot, just not wet. The plant perked back up in the evening so I'm not super concerned, I just found it odd that only one of the plants would be reacting like that. And because it's the one that's the most productive, I don't want it to die before I get a couple of those er jing tiao. :saddowns:

That's good then, I'd hate for them to be a goner.

I'm trying to figure out if I have room enough for a small bucket system in my garage. If I do I'm going to grow one or two year round, and that means I'll never need to baggie buds to avoid cross pollination with the other 17 varieties of pepper growing in my garden. We had such a cool June that I'm only just now getting fruit to start settings on them all. If it doesn't freeze where you are, you shouldn't have any issues just cutting it back to the main stem and just letting it grow back next spring. I have four big ones from last year myself.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Jhet posted:

That's good then, I'd hate for them to be a goner.

I'm trying to figure out if I have room enough for a small bucket system in my garage. If I do I'm going to grow one or two year round, and that means I'll never need to baggie buds to avoid cross pollination with the other 17 varieties of pepper growing in my garden. We had such a cool June that I'm only just now getting fruit to start settings on them all. If it doesn't freeze where you are, you shouldn't have any issues just cutting it back to the main stem and just letting it grow back next spring. I have four big ones from last year myself.

Sigh, upon closer inspection, I think I have a sizeable aphid problem. I thought I'd caught it early enough when I saw a couple of immobile green bugs underneath a couple of leaves and sprinkled them off before neem oiling all the plants, but looking again, it looks like they've spread to a couple of different leaves.

I should look at predators, I suppose, so dear megathread, are there any west coast based sourcers of aphid predators that are: ethical (i.e.: not wild caught if at all possible), in stock, and selling in amounts small enough for a home garden, rather than for entire greenhouses or fields?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jan posted:

I should look at predators, I suppose, so dear megathread, are there any west coast based sourcers of aphid predators that are: ethical (i.e.: not wild caught if at all possible), in stock, and selling in amounts small enough for a home garden, rather than for entire greenhouses or fields?

You should be able to find 1500 ladybugs for $25 or so locally or online. They love eating aphids.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

You should be able to find 1500 ladybugs for $25 or so locally or online. They love eating aphids.

They'll be wild caught though. It's frowned upon because you can spread parasites. I actually looked at getting some earlier this year and had a hard time sourcing any.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

They'll be wild caught though. It's frowned upon because you can spread parasites. I actually looked at getting some earlier this year and had a hard time sourcing any.

If they're from a quality supplier the risk is pretty minimal according to my ag extension. A good supplier not only mitigates the risk of parasites but also getting shipped something stupid like the Asian beetles that kill off native ladybug species.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Kill the aphids one by one and enjoy their deaths :cenobite:

One of two interesting peppers I found somewhere got stepped on by a cat outside and uprooted as a 2” twiglet. I found it lying on its side and took it downstairs and stuck it in my hydroponic setup and it’s starting to grow tiny leaves again, but I believe it brought some aphids down with it because a few days later they were on the lettuces.
I flicked them off and cleaned up but I’m thinking about feeding them directly to the plants they’re trying to eat if the problem returns.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Exactly.

The reason why I'm trying to find smaller amounts is also that I have a pretty small garden, so 1500 ladybugs at once isn't very useful. Instead, I'd probably need a couple hundred and hope they do enough damage on the aphid population before flying away. ...and then another couple hundred, ad nauseam. Despite being repeated to the point that it's almost a meme, releasing ladybugs into a garden is not effective, according to pretty much all of the botanical literature out there. If the garden doesn't naturally attract predators, odds are they won't stay if you introduce them.

Probably a better choice would be a predator that doesn't fly away, or I guess I can keep doing manual extermination and neem oil and hope that it'll actually get it back under control at some point, but that seems improbable.

I was briefly hopeful when I did water the plant a little yesterday and it seemed to perk up after that, but this morning it's back to looking miserable before the day's heat even started. :smithicide:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jan posted:

Exactly.

The reason why I'm trying to find smaller amounts is also that I have a pretty small garden, so 1500 ladybugs at once isn't very useful. Instead, I'd probably need a couple hundred and hope they do enough damage on the aphid population before flying away. ...and then another couple hundred, ad nauseam.

Yes, this is what happens when you don't release them properly and don't have any additional food sources.

While I haven't used them in the last 4 or 5 years, I went through aphid issues both in my hoop house and in the garden for a good 6 years that I was controlling with ladubugs and only had the problems you describe when I had absolutely no idea what I was doing the first time.

If its out of your comfort zone to use wild caught then you do you, and that's fine. But the rest of this is just a matter of education and technique. My county ag extension was a great source of this information.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Motronic posted:

Yes, this is what happens when you don't release them properly and don't have any additional food sources.

While I haven't used them in the last 4 or 5 years, I went through aphid issues both in my hoop house and in the garden for a good 6 years that I was controlling with ladubugs and only had the problems you describe when I had absolutely no idea what I was doing the first time.

Well, in case my latest photo didn't make my circumstances clear, my garden is just a couple of potted plants on an apartment balcony. There's only so much I can do to cultivate a friendly environment for ladybugs to stay. I can't companion plant trees or plants with large canopy to shade them. This means both that I have less room for error with pests, and I have less food sources for pest predators to stay around. So yes, pardon me for thinking ladybugs might not be suited for my current circumstances and that the county's agriculture department might have bigger fish to fry than someone's 7 plant balcony garden.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jan posted:

Well, in case my latest photo didn't make my circumstances clear, my garden is just a couple of potted plants on an apartment balcony. There's only so much I can do to cultivate a friendly environment for ladybugs to stay. I can't companion plant trees or plants with large canopy to shade them. This means both that I have less room for error with pests, and I have less food sources for pest predators to stay around. So yes, pardon me for thinking ladybugs might not be suited for my current circumstances and that the county's agriculture department might have bigger fish to fry than someone's 7 plant balcony garden.

you could also try checking with any nearby universities, they might have a locally-focused solution. the state school near me has been hosting lots of free webinars for beginner gardeners (me), and the hosts so far have been universally happy to answer questions even if they barely have anything to do with the topic. most people just wanna help

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jan posted:

To be quite honest, if you're talking about 7 potted plants the entire premise of your original question was off base. Sorry I'm not keeping track of which poster has what size garden.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

If it's only 7 plants then squishing them with your fingers is The Way. The fact that they don't even bother running away makes it feel slightly less like murder.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If you just have a few plants then you should use mechanical control methods i.e. squish them with your fingers

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Motronic posted:

To be quite honest, if you're talking about 7 potted plants the entire premise of your original question was off base. Sorry I'm not keeping track of which poster has what size garden.

Yeah, and I wouldn't expect you to, which is why I clarified the circumstances. If this was one plant out of even just a dozen pepper plants in a small garden, I wouldn't be so paranoid. But because it's one of three, I'm really hoping it survives so I can get fresh Sichuan chilies that would be otherwise unattainable outside of China. :unsmith:

I'm not entirely sure the aphids are even the reason why this particular plant is wilting more than the others. Maybe the aphids brought disease and now it's basically toast. Either way, I'm sure they don't help so I'll keep manually dispatching them, at least they're more manageable than the spider mite infestation that took over the entire block last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Any idea why my new raspberry canes are all doing this?

This is 100% caused by a bug. The parent insect comes in and cuts the cane twice and plants its eggs in the middle. You should snap it off at the lower cut made by the bug and throw it in the garbage. If you do not do this, the worm will eat its way down to the roots next spring and kill the whole cane.