Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Asian markets will also carry white pepper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I remember years ago someone buying a large co2 cylinder for making soda water at home a lot more cheaply and was wondering if anyone remembers it and what I'd need to do it. I bought a soda stream knock off on Amazon but the price difference between cylinders that fit in it Vs the huge ones is ridiculous

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jose posted:

I remember years ago someone buying a large co2 cylinder for making soda water at home a lot more cheaply and was wondering if anyone remembers it and what I'd need to do it. I bought a soda stream knock off on Amazon but the price difference between cylinders that fit in it Vs the huge ones is ridiculous
I think there are a few people selling kits if you just google sodastream adapter or something. I was looked at some of them before but never ended up pulled the trigger.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
This is what I've used to make homemade sodas for parties.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I just realized how easy it was to make Creme Fraiche, but every recipe I care about calls for sour cream. Are they really that different? Can I sub Creme Fraiche for Sour Cream sometimes? Every time?

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Same Great Paste posted:

I just realized how easy it was to make Creme Fraiche, but every recipe I care about calls for sour cream. Are they really that different? Can I sub Creme Fraiche for Sour Cream sometimes? Every time?
Absolutely. In things like cheesecake, it will make it a tad denser and richer, but I've never had a recipe fail with that substitution. I love it tossed with new potatoes and a fuckton of chiffonaded curly parsley.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That Works posted:

I use unsweetened peanut butter and sesame oil instead of tahini in hummus tho.

Try going all the way and doing unsweetened peanut butter, peanut oil, and boiled peanuts to make your hummus. You can thank me later.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jose posted:

hullo! I did exactly this. Thought I did a write-up but search isn't finding anything. I followed this guide, opting for a 5 lb CO2 tank which has lasted me years. I love it. Seems tanks are more expensive now, probably due to COVID. Still would do it in a heartbeat. It can go to 55 psi vs. Sodastream's 15. It can carbonate non-water too, which Sodastream can't. DIY can also violently explode if you use a weak bottle, so it's basically better in every way.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

ulmont posted:

Try going all the way and doing unsweetened peanut butter, peanut oil, and boiled peanuts to make your hummus. You can thank me later.
Whoa holy gently caress that sounds good and gives me an excuse to make more boiled peanuts. Perfect.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
At that point isn't it just runny peanut butter with some crunchy bits? Not that there's anything wrong with that but it seems pretty far from hummus

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a load of pig fat that I want to render into lard. It strikes me that sous vide might be an easy way to do it, has anyone tried this before and what temperature/time worked?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

At that point isn't it just runny peanut butter with some crunchy bits? Not that there's anything wrong with that but it seems pretty far from hummus
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what it is but it'll taste like spicy boiled goobers. There's almost no way it's a bad idea.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It occurred to me I have no loving idea what boiled peanuts are but having researched them they seem like extremely my poo poo, shame I didn't know about them before I was in the southern leg of my American road trip 5 years ago

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scientastic posted:

I have a load of pig fat that I want to render into lard. It strikes me that sous vide might be an easy way to do it, has anyone tried this before and what temperature/time worked?

Depending on how saturated it is, between 30-50 Centigrade for it to melt.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Butterfly Valley posted:

It occurred to me I have no loving idea what boiled peanuts are but having researched them they seem like extremely my poo poo, shame I didn't know about them before I was in the southern leg of my American road trip 5 years ago

I used to go to a farmers market in Jacksonville where they gave away cups of boiled peanuts for free, it was amazing

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

They're stupid easy to make and so good. You really gotta make some. I don't think I know how to go fishing without a gallon bag of them for beer snacks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ulmont posted:

Hah. I still use chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, lemon and cumin in mine too.

I'll be interested in what you find.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

one of my favorite things — I don't know why I don't make this more often — better texture and taste than sauteed spinach with garlic

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Never mind!

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 11, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BrianBoitano posted:

hullo! I did exactly this. Thought I did a write-up but search isn't finding anything. I followed this guide, opting for a 5 lb CO2 tank which has lasted me years. I love it. Seems tanks are more expensive now, probably due to COVID. Still would do it in a heartbeat. It can go to 55 psi vs. Sodastream's 15. It can carbonate non-water too, which Sodastream can't. DIY can also violently explode if you use a weak bottle, so it's basically better in every way.

If you're absolutely invested in the SodaStream, there's options as well. One of my oldschool favorite paintball shops makes a sodastream to bulk CO2 cannister adaptor: https://palmerspursuit.com/collecti...nless-mesh-hose as well as a direct adaptor to just run it off paintball tanks: https://palmerspursuit.com/collections/soda/products/soda-stream-machine-to-painball-tank-adapter?variant=12133184711

Those tanks are beasts, by the way. I've got a couple that are 20+ years old, been hydro tested to renew the dates a couple times because the size is hard to find, and the worst that's ever happened is blowing a burst disc in one because an idiot friend left a matte black fully filled tank of CO2 out in the sun all afternoon in August.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 11, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any recs on hot tea, loose leaf that is low or no caffeine? I enjoy red, green and oolong but all the ones I have are too caffeinated for late night sipping.

Everything else I've got without caffeine is bagged herbal stuff that is bit or miss.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That Works posted:

Any recs on hot tea, loose leaf that is low or no caffeine? I enjoy red, green and oolong but all the ones I have are too caffeinated for late night sipping.

Everything else I've got without caffeine is bagged herbal stuff that is bit or miss.
Decaf tea?

Or just plain rooibos if you like that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mystes posted:

Decaf tea?

Or just plain rooibos if you like that.

Ah I should give rooibos a try. I can't remember how long it's been since I've tried it.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

That Works posted:

I like this for loose peppermint tea.
This is the best blueberry tea I've found that's not absurdly expensive. (Caveat: It's got cornflower petals in it, so it's very deeply blue/purple colored and will stain like crazy.)
Either of those also do a good job of cutting both the astringency and caffeine level of green tea, in case you're into blends, but I've had best results from steeping the herbals for a bit and then adding the green tea so it's in for less time and at a lower temeprature.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I have enjoyed pretty much every tea my fiancée has gotten from Harney and Sons, including their decaf earl grey.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
This is my decaf of choice. . Granville also carries a ton of really solid herbals as well

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

That Works posted:

See if you can find some quality raspberry leaf tea, it’s excellent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I got a couple cukes, a zuke, a big mater and a bunch of cherry maters from my moms garden. What should I make this week

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I got a couple cukes, a zuke, a big mater and a bunch of cherry maters from my moms garden. What should I make this week
Gazpacho.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

Gazpacho.

Seconding this. There is nothing better on a scorching hot day, making gazpacho with homegrown fruit/veg is just the best

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Quick pickle the cukes, for sure.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, quick pickle the cukes in rice wine vinegar with a little peanut oil, red chili flake, sugar, and scallion.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I know it's a no brainer to never leave your propane grill unattended, but what about when you're using indirect heat to cook ribs for hours and hours? Am I just supposed to grab a book and read for a while? Can I go inside the kitchen where I can keep a visual on it? What's the right way to do this?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I know it's a no brainer to never leave your propane grill unattended, but what about when you're using indirect heat to cook ribs for hours and hours? Am I just supposed to grab a book and read for a while? Can I go inside the kitchen where I can keep a visual on it? What's the right way to do this?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bioshuffle posted:

Get a baby monitor

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

I set alarms to remember to check on it once an hour and sometimes I remember to answer them. Just don't go to the mall and forget stuff. Probably check on it if you get nervous. It won't explode.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What are you supposed to be watching, that the tank doesn't explode? If it did, it'd be better not to be standing next to it

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You people are neurotic. Wander out there once in a while to make sure the meat looks nice, moist, etc. and that the temp is correct. I don't know what you think is going to be going on in there that needs your constant vigilance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Check it occasionally and don't have your propane grill inside your bedroom or buried in a pile of gasoline-soaked rags or whatever.

prayer group posted:

You people are neurotic.

It's not as bad as the "I can't fry, I don't have a deep fryer" posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If low and slow smokes and cooks were that demanding, stressful and labor intensive, then every barbecue joint would have a dead-eyed dude who looks like late career Glen Danzig shackled to the grill out back 17 hours a day