Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Was it here that someone posted some story about an idiot implanting some sub-dermal flash drive that got insanely infected and almost cost them their arm?

Edit: lol just read the plan to not need an MRI! Problem solved!

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That Cyberpunk mission where you have to drive a dude with a malfunctioning refurbished cyberdick to the doctor was extremely on-point

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gently caress, I've been joking for years that the only body mod I'd seriously consider is a giant ring through my arm that I can clip my keys to and now an implantable keyfob can provide better functionality and someone's gonna call my bluff

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

*checks thread title*

*checks own hands for magnets*

*continues on*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vengarr posted:

That Cyberpunk mission where you have to drive a dude with a malfunctioning refurbished cyberdick to the doctor was extremely on-point

Yup, although ironically it was faulty and out of warranty and defective rather than being hacked.

If you do the Corpo play through they show a team that sabotages a bunch of connected diplomats by burning out their cyberware/brains

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, although ironically it was faulty and out of warranty and defective rather than being hacked.

That’s just called getting older

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just got the game this week and I can't stop wondering in this future why EVERYONE chooses to be a cyborg instead of just have regular eyeballs or whatever given how easy (realistic!) it is to gently caress with cyberware remotely.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Just got the game this week and I can't stop wondering in this future why EVERYONE chooses to be a cyborg instead of just have regular eyeballs or whatever given how easy (realistic!) it is to gently caress with cyberware remotely.

Because it's cool.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah the story is missing that fortnight 2077 requires cyberware to play

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

given how easy (realistic!) it is to gently caress with cyberware remotely.

That's why people get digital dicks.

Also username post combo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Because we do the same loving thing now, just not with eyeballs. Power plants, water companies, livestock management, hospitals...

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I got additional lenses put into my eyes as well (lol fuckin eyes too dog poo poo for just the lasik) and if they could've offered cybereyes I'd have to think long and hard about how much I want cyber eyes versus knowing that they would be super vulnerable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

One of the conceits of the setting is that the corps have made it pretty much required in order to participate in the society there.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

gently caress, I've been joking for years that the only body mod I'd seriously consider is a giant ring through my arm that I can clip my keys to and now an implantable keyfob can provide better functionality and someone's gonna call my bluff

Just get a Prince Albert.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Are there even IoT things you can implant?

Implant, insert, it's all in how much you want it.

Flared bases not required.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

St_Ides posted:

Just get a Prince Albert.

Only if it's bluetooth enabled.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m just gonna leave this here

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/02/06/chastity-belt-ransomware-how-hackers-held-peoples-genitals-hostage/amp/

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Some of the side missions go into how its necessary if you want to compete in the hell-capitalism of the dark future. There are people who refuse (like Jackie’s girlfriend) but they are usually luddites, weirdos, poors, or buddhists.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Guest2553 posted:

Only if it's bluetooth enabled.

Nah...app-controlled vibrator.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: re neodymium: how many debit cards do you go through in an average week?

Nobody uses the magstripe any more.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Nobody uses the magstripe any more.

I just used mine when the chip reader balked. :colbert:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Wrr posted:

I got additional lenses put into my eyes as well (lol fuckin eyes too dog poo poo for just the lasik) and if they could've offered cybereyes I'd have to think long and hard about how much I want cyber eyes versus knowing that they would be super vulnerable.

They do cybereyes but only for people whose eyes aren't working, because they're still inferior to normal eyes.

Same with cyberears.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

CainFortea posted:

Are there even IoT things you can implant?

no, the closest you can get right now is a modern pacemaker. doctors can connect to them wirelessly, but they don't talk to the internet at all. as to how robust the security is for that connection may be a matter of concern, but probably not a realistic one for the average person.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt
There was this thing from a while back where security researchers figured out how to take remote control of some implanted insulin pumps and do things like have it murder the user by dumping the entire reservoir at once https://www.theregister.com/2011/10/27/fatal_insulin_pump_attack/.

They were eventually recalled by the FDA https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...oncerns-certain.

e: you have to be within fairly short range for the attack to work, but it does demonstrate the dangers of rf-enabled medical devices.

That Dang Lizard fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 11, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

`Nemesis posted:

no, the closest you can get right now is a modern pacemaker. doctors can connect to them wirelessly, but they don't talk to the internet at all. as to how robust the security is for that connection may be a matter of concern, but probably not a realistic one for the average person.

IIRC Dick Cheney's doctors / security experts deliberately disabled the wifi on his pacemaker.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Lead out in cuffs posted:

IIRC Dick Cheney's doctors / security experts deliberately disabled the wifi on his pacemaker.

that's a shame

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That Dang Lizard posted:

There was this thing from a while back where security researchers figured out how to take remote control of some implanted insulin pumps and do things like have it murder the user by dumping the entire reservoir at once https://www.theregister.com/2011/10/27/fatal_insulin_pump_attack/.

They were eventually recalled by the FDA https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...oncerns-certain.

e: you have to be within fairly short range for the attack to work, but it does demonstrate the dangers of rf-enabled medical devices.

You don’t even have to be connected to anything for technology to try to kill you. The programmers of non-connected life support equipment will very happily do it for you. And then the manufacturers will form an industry organization that lobby’s for less oversight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

You don’t even have to be connected to anything for technology to try to kill you. The programmers of non-connected life support equipment will very happily do it for you. And then the manufacturers will form an industry organization that lobby’s for less oversight.

There's a news report in CP2077 where implant manufacturers disolve the safety regulator because they claim to self-regulate. Made me laugh

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

My favorite for software trying to kill you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

I remember learning about this from the first Watch Dogs; makes sense in a way because how do you push new firmware or making setting changes or get info from it without it? Surgery?

gently caress watch dogs tho.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wrr posted:

I remember learning about this from the first Watch Dogs; makes sense in a way because how do you push new firmware or making setting changes or get info from it without it? Surgery?

gently caress watch dogs tho.

What's wrong with Watch Dogs? I never played the first one but the second was fine, albeit very much an Ubisoft game.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

What's wrong with Watch Dogs? I never played the first one but the second was fine, albeit very much an Ubisoft game.

okay so you know how assassin's creed 1 was pretty bad, but there were some interesting ideas there, and then assassin's creed 2 was a huuuuuuuuuge step forward?

watch_dogs is like that but also the first game is really braindead, and pretty racist at parts, and just a huge mess

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
A racist Ubisoft game? Well, I never...

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Bland game with the usual awful Ubisoft writing, entire mission arc in the middle that leads to nothing and kills pacing, unlikable scumbag protagonist who is both the source of all his own problems in the game and yet utterly convinced he is the victim, weird ableism around a dude putting an evil master villain cause his one leg got busted and now he needs a leg brace, general aura of racism, weird sex-trafficking plot that goes nowhere and becomes just another collectable, privacy invasion mission that just reveals everyone in the city is a monster and consistently has at least one foot in Dark and Edgy poo poo Man, main character very clearly used to be an estranged husband instead of a brother leading to weird poo poo with his son-nephew, uuuuuuuh bland gameplay whose hacking is just a general fancy use button, etc.

Chip Cheezum has an excellent LP of the first game if you're curious.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Watch Dogs was cool for the opening mission and then it’s very generic. How do you make the ability to hack every electronic in a city that boring?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ubisoft really seems to struggle with writing and getting ideas to be interesting in games.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Wrr posted:

Bland game with the usual awful Ubisoft writing, entire mission arc in the middle that leads to nothing and kills pacing, unlikable scumbag protagonist who is both the source of all his own problems in the game and yet utterly convinced he is the victim, weird ableism around a dude putting an evil master villain cause his one leg got busted and now he needs a leg brace, general aura of racism, weird sex-trafficking plot that goes nowhere and becomes just another collectable, privacy invasion mission that just reveals everyone in the city is a monster and consistently has at least one foot in Dark and Edgy poo poo Man, main character very clearly used to be an estranged husband instead of a brother leading to weird poo poo with his son-nephew, uuuuuuuh bland gameplay whose hacking is just a general fancy use button, etc.

Chip Cheezum has an excellent LP of the first game if you're curious.

lol and they were so convinced that this guy was going to be the new tentpole of a franchise they were selling his "iconic" hat and jacket on their website for like a thousand bucks before the game released.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Watchdogs 2 was such a good game by virtue of not being watchdogs 1.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

lol and they were so convinced that this guy was going to be the new tentpole of a franchise they were selling his "iconic" hat and jacket on their website for like a thousand bucks before the game released.

The ANSI art skull t shirt was pretty great, I picked one of those up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Watch Dogs 3 is straight garbage.