Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Looks like the writers made sizable backstories for the antagonists. I wish they stayed in the game. I always like having characters be flushed out, and there are other uses like introducing Kawanabe earlier in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

:aaa: How have I never discovered this in the hours upon hours I poured into the game, holy poo poo.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Arist posted:

Finally, if you made it this far, I have an extra treat for you. Well, kind of, it was meant to be in the last Mementos update, but I forgot to actually put it in that update, so I might as well just share it now.

Enjoy.

Time to button mash.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 46: 6/5: Penguin Sniper (New)

This update contains content from Part 43 of the original LP.

Music: Disquiet

A full psychiatric evaluation will be performed to further investigate the crime’s details and motives.

I’ve found a number of points of commonality between the two. Both, for example, were sent a “calling card” before their unforeseen changes of heart.
…I see.

But are you sure these cases are connected to the psychotic breakdowns? Your overly emotional woman brain isn’t equipped to deal with all the relevant #facts and #logic.

Furthermore, the police will frown upon you stepping into this…
Now isn’t the time to be worrying about things like jurisdiction and honor! We need to dig deeper and find a correlation along the incidents these past two, three years.
*sigh* Very well. I leave it to you… However, you must not let this interfere with your regular duties.
*bowing* Thank you, sir.

This is why women shouldn’t be allowed outside, much less in the workplace! She probably just wants some gossip fodder or something…

(Ruling Party Member) …And I understand that these abnormal incidents have caused some anxiety throughout our country.

I shall continue to put forth great effort so that every citizen can live with peace of mind.
Not only are there these Phantom Thieves to worry about, but if that is exposed… Tch…

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Looks like Yusuke’s textin’ me. I think you’re getting ‘em too.

I most certainly am not. I must express my gratitude earnestly.
You’re one of us now, man. We’ll be counting on you, mkay?
Of course.
And if anything comes up, we won’t hesitate to lend a hand.
Thank you. Well then, see you.

Anyways, that went well for our first job, huh? It was a huge success! So, that said… you got time after this?

Well, thing is, I got some free tickets to a darts lounge from a guy I know. But, I totally forgot that they expire today. So… you wanna go right now?
Ryuji… didn’t we just finish talking about how we need to be on guard?
C’mon, it’s just darts! Don’t you wanna play too, Morgana?

How would he—what the gently caress ever, I don’t care

If you’re just going to play, then I guess it shouldn’t be a problem…

Hell yeah, I’m on it! Oh, right. The place is in Kichijoji, so we gotta take the train first.

What, for real? There’s a buncha different shops right outside the station there. It’s just one stop away from Shibuya, so let’s head for the Inogami Line first.

I’m getting excited!
All right, let’s go!

Despite what Ryuji said, Kichijoji is actually two stops away from Shibuya, with the one in between being Inokashira Park.

And this tutorial again, which I believe played originally when we first headed to Shinjuku.

Music: New Beginning

You can tell it’s nothing like Shibuya, just from the atmosphere alone.
Well, yeah. Looks lie there’re a lot of shops here that you can’t find in Shibuya. …Not that I’d really know.

What are you getting at?

Oh, it’s got your attention now, huh? Ann’s not here because she’s busy, but I bet it’d be more fun to come here with some more people. I think the darts lounge is one block up from the main street. But since we’re here, I won’t say no to checkin’ out a bunch of the other shops on the way.

And now we’ve got a whole wide Kichijoji to explore! Well, one block of it, anyway. There’s a lot of small stuff here and I’m going to get as much of it that seems interesting as I can.

First up, let’s talk to this woman at the information desk. Maybe she can help us get our bearings.

Why don’t you ask them about Kichijoji?
What would you like to hear about?

Certainly! Please allow me to explain! There are four different areas… On the promenade, you can find a fried food shop, a stationery store, a second-hand clothing store, and a temple. The ground beef cutlet at the fried food shop is delicious, but you will have to wait in line. If you take a left at the fried food shop, you’ll see Retro Street. Here you can find a selection of chic and sophisticated stores. There’s also a jazz club at the end of the alley. Sometimes popular singers will go there, and the liveliness is inevitable. Whew. I hope I explained it all right… Do you have any other questions?

Of course! After passing Retro Street, you will see Rue De Chouchou, which has a variety of fancy stores to visit. There’s also a well-known healing crystal store selling power stones that provide real results.

Ooh, pseudoscientific nonsense! I love my homeopathic remedies!

Not only that, but on Rue De Chouchou there is a lounge to enjoy darts and billiards. Excitement is inevitable.

But—
INEVITABLE.

The last one is Harmony Alley, which is like a drinking district. It’s located just past this information desk. It has an old Japanese flavor, perfect for just enjoying the atmosphere. The inspiration is inevitable.

Why do you keep saying that word?

…Was that too much information for a minor? Well, that’s about it for the city. Is there something else I can help you with?

I know just the thing! Please allow me to explain! You’re a minor, correct? If that’s the case… If you go past the drinking district and reach Rue De Chouchou, you will find a darts and billiards lounge. It’s actually a very casual place, and people your age can walk in with no problem.

Huh!? Well, you did come all the way here… If you’re looking for a place for adults… There is a jazz club… And I THINK minors can go in… Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Would you like to know anything else?

Certainly! Allow me to explain! There’s a strange—Excuse me, a unique secondhand clothing store here as well. It’s located on the promenade street. The manager always greets me in the morning, but… He’s always saying, “I specifically want sooty clothing.” And is quite picky about what you bring in too. Oh, and have you been to the incense story in Harmony Alley? It actually opened quite recently. They have incenses that people have never even heard of before. And it’s not a fishy store either.

My “it’s not a fishy store” T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions etc etc

Was there anything else you wanted to ask?

Anything you should know… Actually, yes. There’s something I heard recently. About the fried food shop in the promenade. People say it’s tedious to wait in line… And by nighttime it’s already sold out. So what’re we to do if we want one? Well, they say on Sundays they make more than usual. So, in other words, if you go there on a Sunday night… And the story I heard ends there. Anything else you would like to know?

If you would like to know more about Kichijoji, feel free to stop on by!

Maaku gains Knowledge +1. Neat.

Oh, hey. It’s Makoto. Let’s say hi.

That’s all she has to say. Also, Ryuji has… no reaction upon seeing her. Also also, Makoto showing up here serves no other purpose. She stalks us around as per usual, but has nothing else to say and won’t even follow us into the darts club. I’m honestly really confused as to why they bothered putting her into this scene unless I’ve totally forgotten some weird way it comes back later.

Let’s check out the stationery store.

What the hell are Morgana senses…

Oh, it’s just a bunch of useless gift items. Laaaaaame.

(Stationery Store Employee) Please come again.

I guess it’d be pretty cool to get a gift from here.

Next, the secondhand clothes store right nearby.

…Sooty clothes?

…Wait. I have some of those!

Heh, let’s see what they’ve got!

Can I take a look at that? Don’t worry, I won’t steal it.

My “Don’t worry, I won’t steal it” T-shirt i—

One difference in Royal is that you get a lot more filthy, unusable clothing from Palaces, because now there’s an additional way to use it besides just washing it. Trading it in here will give you money and points you can trade for wonderful prizes!

This guy’s reacting to clothing that we got from Shadows… Seems he knows what he’s talking about.
I’ve been here for 40 years, but I’ve never seen clothing that makes my heart chill… All right, I’ll buy it. But I’ll only buy it for the price it deserves.

This makes me kind of uncomfortable, but okay, you fuckin’ weirdo.

Once you obtain enough points, you can trade them for a prize. So feel free to let us take that clothing off your hands.
Not only is he gonna buy them from us, he’s gonna give us points for them too? We should definitely come back here.
So what can I do for ya?

We have four options here right now. We can buy the Awake Incense, which cures all ailments for one ally, the Quick Spray, which lowers all enemies’ Agility temporarily, Idaten’s Belt, which is an accessory that gives the user Auto-Masuku(kaja, meaning raised Agility for the whole party at the start of battle), or a MYSTERY PRIZE of four random pieces of decent-ish armor for our current progression. I say “random” despite them also being “decent-ish” because each piece will be equippable by a random subset of our party members: men, women, unisex, or Morgana. Morgana cannot wear anything other than his own armor, and no one else can wear Morgana’s armor. It’s actually really annoying, I’ve bought the grab bag before and gotten two of the same piece of armor for Morgana and it’s just worthless. We’re also at a point where getting male armor is much better than getting female armor just because Ann is our only female party member, but that’ll be mitigated shortly once Makoto joins.

We wanna save up for the Idaten Belt, so we’ll just get an Awake Incense and leave.

These clothes are amazing… Come again, all right?

But I guess it was pretty fun. Let’s check it out again sometime.

So, this little digression is kind of cool because you can go up to every storefront and get a small neat back-and-forth between Ryuji and Morgana about their offerings.

Every. Single. One.

And there’s an additional dialogue if you examine each storefront again, though that one tends to at least mercifully be only one text bubble (two at most). So… I get to spend the next *checks watch* two hours-ish just transcribing these dialogues, because I hate myself. I’m not gonna show all of the “second” dialogues, because a lot of them are very nothing, but I like the initial conversations enough to show them off. gently caress. This is going to be like, half this update folks, buckle up.

First up, the Hat Store!

How many heads could this store cover…

Sweets Shop:

A Kichijoji special, “Dorayaki with chestnuts and red bean paste”? It almost looks like a hamburger…

Bank:

It’s a bank. You know, I’ve always wondered why they call it that…

Well, you see, the etymology actually comes from the Old Italian and Old High German words for “bench” or “table,” as benches were used as makeshift exchange counters during the Renaissa—

Maybe it’s ‘cause some guy named Bank came up with the idea.

Or that. That works too.

Uh, that’s definitely not it…
drat it, freakin’ Morgana.

Revolving Sushi Restaurant:

Heh, I wanna try expensive sushi that’s not revolvin’ one of these days.

Taiyaki Shop:

But check out what it says: “We will provide a fresh and organic piece every time.” Sounds pretty badass…

What the gently caress does “badass” even mean any more?

Fresh and organic? Guess we can’t judge a fish by its cover…

Cell Phone Shop:

Man, I want a phone of my own. Preferably the newest one out there!

What the gently caress are you gonna do with a phone?

Japanese Confectionery:

I heard that when shaved ice was hella popular, people were linin’ up even durin’ the winter.

Socks Superstore:

Man, they’re really getting specific with these.

Oh yeah, the socks I’m wearin’ have holes in ‘em. I gotta get myself a new pair.

Nearby, we see the place the information desk lady told us about that sells the cutlet.

Oh, the smell… Looks like their “special meat cutlet” is their most popular item.
(Fried Food Shop Staff) Sorry, we only have enough of the special meat cutlet for the people in line right now. Try stopping by at nighttime.
Well, I guess we can’t do poo poo if it’s this busy…

Ice Cream Shop:

Oh! How about sushi-flavored ice cream?
Shut up, Morgana! Ugh, I just imagined what it’d taste like!

Udon Shop:

These places are meant for eatin’ ASAP, but with this many toppings, you’d spend all your time just decidin’ what to get.

Oho! Surprised to see a monk? Fret not, I’m merely a fellow human being who eats and breathes just as you do. The temple is open to the public during the day. You are most welcome to visit anytime.
Let’s come back another time. We’ve got something else to do now!

I bet having a temple in a shopping district really helps the businesses.

Realtor:

Dude, you’re a cat. Rent shouldn’t even matter to you.
I’m not a cat!

Morgana’s canned voice line here is a little hiss and that’s great.

Y’know, I feel like people tend to forget where they put their poo poo a lotta the time.

Asian General Store:

You’re such a kid, Ryuji. This is supposed to be an exotic scent.

Ooh, a couch. I’m tired from examining all these buildings. Let’s rest for a sec.

What, is it really that comfortable? I mean if it’s in front of the store like this I guess it must be comfy… Okay, let’s get going.

Really? Just how comfortable is this sofa…? …Hey. …Hellooo. Man, everyone’s looking at you… I guess I’d call you bold for doing this.

Maaku gains Guts +1.

Wh-Whoa, that was so sudden you almost startled me…

BACK TO THE COUCH

Furniture Store:

Do you wanna just get a new sofa for your room? Maybe with the money I have…

You’ve been secretly squirreling away money? How? That poo poo’s supposed to be mine!

Dude, Morgana. Look at the price tag.
Oof… I take it back.

What? No.

Nearby, we find a place selling meat buns.

It does… Hey, y’guys wanna get one? How about it?
Hey, welcome! We’re selling our hot and fresh Chinese buns here!

These buns restore 30, 50, and 100 HP respectively to one party member. I buy two of each.

Ryuji, I bought two of everything. Just take one.

Karaoke:

Karaoke’s always so cheap during the week. I wonder if they’re even makin’ money.

There’s another store we can actually buy things from over here.

Why are you suddenly not pronouncing the G in “interesting,” Morgana?

Seems like they’ve got some rare stuff. Let’s check it out!
(Grocery Clerk) Welcome! Please feel free to enjoy the tastes of countries the world over!

These items are party-wide heals for 40, 80, and 100 HP each. I buy two of each once again.

Thank you very much! Please come again!
Oh, did you get somethin’? Lemme know what it tastes like, yeah?

Record Store:

Y’think it’s true that CDs and records sound different?

Yes, if only you had some sort of… record… player?

Music Store:

I bet you’d look good with a trumpet.
You’re just basin’ it off of my hair color, aren’t you?

How about that one? A cello? And that one’s a viola? I’m so confused…

Dude, you get jazz? That’s cool.

Either way, it looks like it’s only open at night.

(Jazz Club Manager) Which reminds me… I heard some of my customers talking about the Phantom Thieves. Have you heard of them?

Why would your customers have heard of the Phantom Thieves? They only rose to prominence today, and the jazz club hasn’t opened yet.

My kids were talking about them, too. Can’t quite figure out if it’s some kind of prank or a form of blackmail or what.
Yeah, I don’t even know if they’re real or not, but… wouldn’t it be great if they really existed?

It says… “Penguin Sniper”? Huh? Why’d you give one of those doofy birds a gun?
It’s not meant to be taken literally…
Still, if you’re comin’ up with a good name… Well, whatever. Let’s check it out!

I can’t believe we actually paid to go see his exhibit—you and your stupid recommendations!
(Mild-Mannered Dad) Why’s it my fault!? You were singing his praises not too long ago! I had to cancel golf plans with my boss…

I hate these people already.

(Bobbed-Hair Girl) All the kids at school are pretending to be Madarame now. “H-How could I… possibly apologize… to everyone for… Aaaah!”
Mami-chan, stop! Don’t copy that criminal! Ugh, your father is such a bad influence…

Let’s resume the tour with the Pasta Shop:

I did it! I said it without stopping!
Papprar…dille? Agno…what?

Café:

Well, it does say we can bring pets inside, so maybe it’ll be okay?
Who’re you calling a pet!?

Cycling Shop:

Dude, check out the prices on those bicycles! poo poo, aren’t they more expensive than motorbikes?

I don’t think I can ride this bike. I feel like it’ll get stolen or somethin’.

Wine Bar:

Wine’s made of grapes, right? Is the flavor really THAT different?
There’s really a lot to wine. Like how there’s red wine and white wine…
All I got from that is that you’re not good at describin’ stuff…

Steak Shop:

I know what A5-rank meat is from a deliriously horny anime that covered the subject!

Stop it! Stop it! You’re gonna make me wanna eat it!

Antique Shop:

I’m done with this after lookin’ at the Museum the other day.

Man, I just don’t get art.

Donut Shop:

What’s up, Morgana?
We’re really missing out with no center part of the donut!

Holy poo poo, he’s right! They’re ripping us off! Rise up!!!!

Yeah… That’s really somethin’ we need to worry about right now…

I’m just going to assume Ryuji is correct because it will help me make sense of the first episode of Shirobako.

Wonder what it’s like at night… I kinda wanna check it out.

There’s an entire alley just of bars here, but it’s closed at the moment.

Optician:

I keep forgettin’, but your glasses are fake, huh? Do you think I’d look smarter if I had glasses on?

First off, no. Second, they’re real.

I refuse to go along with this heresy. Maaku’s glasses are not fake, that poo poo is not canon to the LP. :colbert:

Okay, let’s stop in and see what the deal is with this fuckin’ crystal healing bullshit…

Power stones are those amulet-like things, right? They’ve got some weird power or somethin’. Let’s check it out.
(Crystal Healing Employee) Welcome! Please take a look at what we have!

So, here we can buy some Black Rocks for the purpose of transmuting an accessory from a Persona using the Electric Chair, or we can buy one of the other accessories, all of which are extremely expensive… but each gives an Amp skill for one element, making them pretty drat useful. We don’t have too much money to spend at the moment (remember, we have to have 100k for Fortune saved pretty soon), so we’ll buy the maximum of three Black Rocks and leave.

Thank you! Please come again!

But it looked like they actually had some power in them. We oughta check it out sometime.

You’ve got no interest in incenses, right? Where would you even use it…?

Here’s the incense store, which we can’t actually do anything with at the moment. We’ll have to come back at a later point once we’ve unlocked another system to make use of it.

Outdoor Shop:

Man, there’s so many outdoorsy girls around nowadays. But how come there aren’t any mountain boys or ocean boys?

Oh, they exist, just mainly in the world of Pokémon.

…Good point.

Not an anime without a beach episode.

Imported Toy Store:

Looks like they’re mainly made from wood. Maybe we’d be able to make our own.

Well, let’s finally make our way over to Penguin Sniper.

Oh man, I’m getting kind of nervous…
Ha, you’re such a child. Try not to embarrass the rest of us, would you?
You don’t gotta tell me that! So, what’s the plan? You wanna head inside?

Music: Kichijoji 199X

This track is a reference to the original Shin Megami Tensei. It’s a remix of the overworld theme, and it’s a bop.

All right, bull! That’s a new high score!

The center of the target’s called the bullseye. If you land a dart there, it’s called “bull”! …I know because I looked up the rules online last night. Anyway, this game’s called “01.” You win by getting your score all the way down to 0 points before the other player.

For the record, this conversation was how I learned to play darts. :v:

Oh, so you’re not trying to get a high score, but get rid of your score? That’s pretty different.
We both start with the same score, then you lose points based on the number on the board where your dart lands… And you can only win if you get your score down to 0, exactly. You can’t even be off by a single point!

So you have to be able to calculate your score properly while making sure you hit the right numbers on the board… This game seems like it takes a lot of concentration.

Heehee, one point!? C’mon, you have to straighten your arm out more, and…

You team up with someone and alternate throwers when it’s your turn. You still use the same rules I told you, though.

Whoa, he hit such a tiny spot! Quite impressive—especially for you, Ryuji.

When you’re on the line, the pressure’s insane, but it makes you wanna do your best for your partner!

…Huh.

So, one new feature added in Royal is the ability to upgrade each party member’s Baton Pass by playing darts with them. This will increase the damage they deal by 25% with each rank, as well as add HP and SP regen (10-15% HP depending on rank and 2, 4, and 6 SP depending on the number of Baton Passes). The SP regen on Rank 3 is pretty miniscule, but still adds up and is really handy. We’re going to make it a point to get our party members to Rank 3 ASAP.

Even if it is just a game, it can be some kinda training, depending on how you play…

Heh… Well, I do always have the Phantom Thieves on the brain. Let’s keep practicing together here—Ooh, ooh! Let’s invite everybody next time!
Man… All this, just from me askin’ you to meet me here! This is, like… y’know… one of those strikes of good luck!
A “stroke” of good luck! Why would it be a strike? Who would protest having good luck?

Hmm… This game could be useful too, depending on how we look at it…
It’s already pretty late, though. We can come back and play it later.
Ah, and don’t forget—we got a couple free tickets to play today, but next time you’ll have to pay up.
But it was super fun, right!? I really wanna play again sometime! Well, we should head home for the day. Thanks for hangin’ out.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 20, 2022

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I appreciate the extra non crazy time spent together. It's what made strikers so endearing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think the reason why Makoto follows you during this section is that it gives everyone a chance to notice it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
We finally get to the part of the game of why baton pass has moved away from social rankings to separate minigame.

Arist posted:

I know what A5-rank meat is from a deliriously horny anime that covered the subject!

I did not realize I would see a Shokugeki no Soma reference in the year 2021.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Flair posted:

I did not realize I would see a Shokugeki no Soma reference in the year 2021.
... the series only ended two years ago, and the last season of the anime aired less than a year ago.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I fell off the manga after the evil clown who cooked via high-speed juggling.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Thanks for the Vietnam Flashbacks to Food Wars, Arist. The only characters even hornier than Jessie in the FF7 remake.

Ibblebibble posted:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, I wish I was joking too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah that series got... real bad!

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Ryuji date! Ryuji date! :allears:

This part of the game is so drat charming. Just bros being bros, and there's not even any really unwarranted sniping between Ryuji and Morgana. The music definitely helps.

Also, I'm pretty sure Ryuji has dialogue if you buy something at the stationery store.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ibblebibble posted:

This is one of those "this sounds amazing but is actually terrible" things, isn't it? Like the WWE Scooby-Doo movies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

girl dick energy posted:

This is one of those "this sounds amazing but is actually terrible" things, isn't it? Like the WWE Scooby-Doo movies.

After the series' food consultant went on maternity leave, the final arc of the manga included said evil juggling clown as well as a girl who tenderized meat with a spiced chainsaw

Total hearsay but I'm pretty sure that series got hosed hard by editors

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

After the series' food consultant went on maternity leave, the final arc of the manga included said evil juggling clown as well as a girl who tenderized meat with a spiced chainsaw

That just sounds amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hunt11 posted:

That just sounds amazing.

IT SUCKED SO BAD

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arist posted:

So, yes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

IT SUCKED SO BAD

That is so disappointing to hear.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Trust me, on paper it sounds fun as hell but in practice it's just... why?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arist posted:

Total hearsay but I'm pretty sure that series got hosed hard by editors

Said girl also dresses and acts like a Nazi.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The BLUE tournament in Food Wars was awful, but of course there was behind the scenes fuckery that tanked the ending

Darts is actually pretty good fun seeing as how you can get everyone’s baton pass rank up in a matter of two visits

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

[*]Why is Mishima’s chat icon the number 3?

The 'mi' part of his name is written with kanji for 'three', 三 (like the Mitsubachi stationery store logo, in fact)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Said girl also dresses and acts like a Nazi.
:nallears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 47: 6/5-6/6: The Pointy End Goes Toward The Target (New)

This update contains content from Part 44 of the original LP.

Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

I heard customers say it’s gotten pretty dangerous over there. Don’t let yourself be a target, got it?
Wow, it’s really gotten that unsafe, huh? That said, you still want to check out Kichijoji at night, don’t you?

Besides, there’s a certain delicious smell on that street that bears investigating… Myeh heh heh.

Apparently there’s this old man who’s been causing problems in Kichijoji. If you make one wrong move or say the wrong thing, he flies into a rage and it turns into a fight.

I agree. We can’t let this guy go unchecked. Only problem is, knowing that he’s an old troublemaker isn’t enough to get us a name… But I DID hear that he hangs out in Kichijoji’s Harmony Alley a lot!

And if we don’t know his name, we can’t make him have a change of heart.

Someone finally exposed Madarame for stealing art. What will happen to the pieces themselves?

]

Right… Sorry, just curious. I used to be really into art.

(Tired Office Worker) Yeah, it was right at the end of the exhibit. It’s obvious that there’s some ulterior motive.
They spent so much money on all those ads. The people backing Madarame must be panicking.
It’s every man for himself in this world. It’s pretty rotten when I think about it.

I can’t take it anymore, man! Guess I gotta change the world myself, buuuddy!
(Reserved College Student) Bold. And just what do you hope to accomplish?
…Partying as hard as I can at the club, m’dude! Oh yeeeah!

(Rural Young Man) I knew it! E’eryone in this city is a degenerate liar! I even hear there’s a bunch a thieves on the loose! C’mon, lemme take ya home.
You’re overreacting. Besides, the Phantom Thieves are on our side!

Let’s head over to Kichijoji real quick and take care of some stuff.

Thanks! Be careful, it’s hot.

Got my delicious cutlet, just gonna leave it in my bag for several weeks

Here, we can see that the alley full of bars becomes much more vibrant and busy at night. Obviously.

(Loud Housewife) Nooo, don’t bring that up! My husband already won’t stop teasing me about it! He says that old fraud Madarame nearly suckered me into taking art lessons. Ugh, it still makes me mad! I hope that old coot rots in prison!

(Doting Father) I see… But you can also become strong by eating your mom’s cooking, you know?
But Mom’s food won’t turn me into Featherman! I wanna be Featherman!

Listen here you little poo poo…

(Stylish Part-Timer) Ugh, he ain’t a real artist—just a skeevy, lyin’ pig actin’ like a person of culture!
Well, art and culture are fine and all, but in the end, we’re all human. Morality aside, money is important. I understand how it can become a person’s top priority.

Why is this dude wearing that hat and also in a yukata?

Seriously!? I can’t believe what I’m hearin’… Money ain’t everythin’!

(Aproned Man) I don’t like bad-mouthing my customers, but he makes so much trouble…

When I grow up, I wanna be the kind of cool motherfucker who can put a license plate on his hat and call it fashion. No fucks given.

An old man making trouble…?

Hello, kind sirs. I couldn’t help but overhear, and I am quite intrigued by your chatter about this old man.

Hey, this ain’t no place for a young’un like you. You lookin’ for somethin’ ‘round here?

Hoo boy… So even kids like you know about him.
That old man’s outta control. He takes drinks from strangers, he starts fights… And when he gets in trouble, he causes a ruckus and tries to mooch money off people. What's creepy is the more trouble he makes, the wider his smile gets.

Oh yeah, the old man’s always shoutin’ his name over and over. Heiji Ono, right?
Yep, that’s the name.
All right, we got the name of our target!
But you know… I can’t be that hard on him. He’s around my dad’s age. When he complains about his joints hurting on rainy days… I can’t help but feel sorry for the old man. I wish he didn’t hang around here, but stayed warm with his family instead.

Zero percent chance that last sentence doesn’t come back around in a darkly ironic fashion once we confront his Shadow, right? I don’t even remember what happens here, it’s just that obvious.

You might sound awfully sympathetic, but I know you really think he’s a pain in the rear end.
Well, yeah, I’m not denying that…
His joints hurt on rainy days? Poor guy.

And we’re ready to take down that target at our earliest convenience.

We’re gonna get some aojiru. Maaku gains Charm +1.

Please know that you can direct your criticism and outrage at me! I, Toranosuke Yoshida, will someday find a way to address your concerns in Nagatcho…

How’s your schoolwork? By the way, what’s your opinion about our current government? I feel that they’re wrong, so I plan on addressing that during my speech. I’d like you to listen to it, so you can give me your honest opinion.

Really? That would be helpful. Well then, let’s get to it.

Sun Rank 4: Part 44

However, the current administration refuses to discuss their plans for the future… Can we really accept such an utter lack of transparency!?
(Weary-Looking Woman) I’ve been hearing this type of criticism about the government a lot lately.
(Bored-Looking Man) That’s because Diet Member Shido has been gaining popularity by saying the same thing.
So he’s just echoing another politician’s criticism of the government?
Apparently. Tch, whatever…

Music: Suspicion

Only one politician is allowed to have good opinions at a time, plagiarist!

Stop talking all big, you ex-convict!

Urgh… It seems I’ve drawn the ire of the audience once again. So he’s claiming those who have made mistakes in the past shouldn’t get a second chance? What can I say to that?

Yo, rear end in a top hat!
Yes? poo poo, should I not have responded affirmatively to “rear end in a top hat”?
Shut the gently caress up!

What was that? You got something to say to me, kid!?

So what if he’s No-Good Tora!? People can change!
Hamiru-san…
Also, you should stop calling him an ex-convict! Never convicted, baby!
That just means he got away with it!
If he did actually get away with stealing a large sum of money from a soulless political machine then he’s an inspiration to us all!
Can’t argue with that…

…Yes, I am “No-Good Tora,” and I have made mistakes. Yes, I am unpopular and powerless. But that has nothing to do with my arguments! These are things I learned from all my hardships. You can ridicule me all you want, but I will continue to oppose what is wrong with this world!
*gasps and murmurs*

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

The highlight, though, was your yelling.

Eh, it was nothing. Someone’s gotta stick up for you.
Thank you. But you should try to avoid making enemies in the future.
That’s not really possible in my line of work, but I’ll consider it.

…Okay, that is all for today.

…I’ve been wrong this whole time. Even though someone has failed in the past, it doesn’t mean that person can’t try again.

Also, stealing party funds whips rear end!

Th-That’s all I wanted to say!
Please wait! Thank you! …That is all I wanted to say.
You’re a strange one. Just like that kid.

I have a bad habit of getting flustered whenever someone calls me No-Good Tora.

Seems like you’re over it now, though!

But you see me as someone of value, so I refuse to cower to criticism in front of you. Today you taught me that I must have more confidence in my arguments.
I feel like my bond with Yoshida is growing deeper…

My way of thinking changes when I’m with you. Perhaps it’s the influence of your youthful spirit. Ah, my apologies. It seems we’re out of time.
I feel like helping with the speech has served to increase my Charm

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Good work today. I’ll see you again soon.

Thanks to you, I’ve remembered something very important. Now that I think about it, ever since the scandal… I’ve felt alone and helpless. Like the whole world was against me. Perhaps I got too used to the constant judging and critique, but… I realized I’d overlooked something crucial. I’d forgotten the people closest to me… and how encouraging it feels simply to be in their presence. Perhaps it seems too obvious, or too trite, but… I hope you remember to cherish that, too.

I will engrave it into my heart. I can’t let myself forget it again.

Anon: Too elaborate for a prank

Early Morning

Anon: they’re just making threats
Anon: It’s just a coincidence…
Anon: ppl who buy this… -_-
Anon: thieves are bad, its not hard
Anon: pics or it didn’t happen

About the calling card from the Phantom Thieves, right?
The way it was written seemed pretty legit…
Have they really stolen people’s hearts?
I can’t believe the Phantom Thieves actually exist…

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

(Train Monitor) Now for today’s Train News. Today’s headlines are… “Hotspots of Tokyo!” Penguin Sniper has opened for business in Kichijoji! What’s Penguin Sniper, you ask? A zoo? A pet shop? No, it’s a trendy lounge for darts and billiards! Whether alone or in a group, how you play is up to you!
Oh, it’s that one lounge! Next time we go, I’m gonna play darts too!

No you’re not! How would that even work!?

Still, there sure are a lot of shops in Kichijoji. We should take our time and look around when we get the chance.

The response to Madarame’s press conference was huge! Everyone’s talkin’ about the calling card. Girls are checkin’ me out today… Maybe they can’t help but sense my overflowin’ phantom thief charisma?

Of course there is! My uniform, man! My uniform! We’re s’posed to switch to summer uniforms today! I knew people were lookin’ at me… Oh, goddammit! I gotta go home and change, so you go on ahead!

(Pallid Fella) Shut up! Geez… Anyway, did you catch the news yesterday? Watching that famous artist cry his eyes out over all the artwork he’s stolen… The same thing happened to Kamoshida, right? Both got weird calling cards, too… If you ask me, the same person is behind all this.
The news this morning said a group called #Millennials are the ones behind the cards. I wonder how they get people to confess. I mean, they can’t literally be “stealing hearts.” Blackmail, maybe?

You made it home and back quick, holy poo poo.

Early Morning → Lunchtime

Every time I notice this dude’s tiny lil’ ear I lose my mind

I have nothing to report yet…

How can you not know anything? It’s not like Mr. Kamoshida had a lot of enemies! Well, outside of, you know—
Outside of all the students he was abusing and harassing? Oh, I’m sure everyone *else* just loved him.
You know what I mean. How can you have nothing to show for your efforts?
I do have some suspects, but getting hard proof has been rather tricky… I managed to follow them to their meeting place, but then I got to a really interesting part of my disguise manga and when I looked back up they were gone!

*heavy, impatient sigh*

You knew, didn’t you? About Mr. Kamoshida sexually harassing students.

Kobayakawa looks away.

Sir!
What will come of you asking that?
This investigation is for a just cause, correct?

I know all this must be stressful for you, especially after seeing a student attempt suicide, so here’s what we’re gonna do: you’re going to find the Phantom Thieves, and I’m going to pretend you didn’t say anything for the last thirty seconds. Deal?
But…

We must provide a school environment where all students can feel at ease. That is the most pressing issue we have to tackle at the moment.
So that’s your reason behind this investigation on the Phantom Thieves of Hearts? We don’t even know if they truly exist. Why are you—
You heard about the incident with that Madarame fellow, I assume?
…They said there was a similar calling card to the one used in Mr. Kamoshida’s case.
I wish to believe that this is unrelated to our students.
Yes…
That is where I stand. I suggest you devote your energy to the task at hand, not unnecessary questions.
……

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

(Suave Male Student) You mean that guy who was all like, “How could I possibly… apologize for what I’ve done… Aaaah…”?
Think it was really those Phantom Thieves? You know, the whole stealing your heart thing.
That… There’s no way. But then again… it seems too convenient for it all to just be coincidence.

(in the background) EFFIN’ A!
What’s that punk yelling about?
I don’t know, just don’t make eye contact.

It’s been one day. Cool your jets.
Right. Anyway, I decided on the TV station. What about you guys?

Huh? Oh crap, the social studies trip! Ugh I just wanna ditch it.

Another Pro Mittelman Line Read™ on this one.

You’d better go to your school activities. Didn’t I tell you not to draw attention to yourselves?
Wouldn’t me suddenly turnin’ into a good student stand out more?
Quit bickering and go.

Actually, he does have a point…
SILENCE! I AM YOUR GOD!

Then let’s all choose the TV station! I heard we’re gonna get to watch them tape a show! Maybe there’ll be actresses there!
……

Suddenly, Ryuji gets… Ideas. Poor idiot.

Oh well. Not lie I got anything better to do than waitin’ for info to come in online. Plus, Morgana’s right. Showin’ up’ll keep the teacher from gettin’ all suspicious of me.

No, don’t praise him! It goes straight to his head!

All right, I’m gonna head back. TV, huh… Maybe I should get a haircut…

That guy is such an idiot… I hope nothing happens…

Lunchtime → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

Madarame is the only topic of conversation at my school. And as his pupil, most of my peers have chosen to ignore me.
For real? That’s bullshit.
Are you going to be OK?
There is no need to worry. They had already been treating me differently from others as it stood. This is nothing new to me.
OK then…
More importantly, do we have any leads on our next mission?
You kidding? There’s no way we’d find a target that quick!

>Looks like it’s Mementos for us…
You hum that weird repetitive song whenever we go to Mementos, though… You sure you’re alright, man?
>DUH NUH NUH, NUH NUH NUH, NUH NUH NUH
Ryuji, what did you do!?
Ah crap!

I will keep myself free. Please tell me if anything comes up.

Music: Everyday Days

You! Pay attention! Is that how you listen when someone’s talking to you!?
I feel a murderous intent…!

(Female Student) Whoa! That was an epic dodge!
(Male Student) I can’t believe he dodged Ushimaru’s throw… Is he a ninja?

I was testing your ability to execute one of the cornerstones of comedy: humor through pain! By dodging the chalk, you failed, denying everyone, including yourself, this valuable learning opportunity!
Wow, what an rear end in a top hat… I’m performing at a bar mitzvah soon and this experience would have really helped my act!
I just wanted to see someone get hurt!

Tch… Well, whatever. Moving on.
Ooh, you’ve got the entire class’ attention! Your Charm has definitely increased.

Maaku gains Charm +2.

The chalk dodge is actually a percentage chance based on your current Proficiency instead of a flat stat check like in the base game. This makes the Charm boosts much more useful because you can get them much earlier in the game. There are also a few more opportunities to get Charm points from this recurring event now.

Afternoon → After School

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

I thought something like this would happen… So I snuck a collapsible umbrella into your bag!

Of course—this isn’t something any ordinary cat would do.

Actually, I forgot my umbrella… But it’s fine. I’ll barely get wet if I run to the station! If anything, it’ll make for good training.

Oh, you’ll share your umbrella?

…Yes, that’s what I was trying to say there. What else could I possibly have meant? Heh.

To be honest, prelims are coming up soon, so I didn’t want to take any chances of getting sick.

Yeah, that’s right. Two huge competitions are coming up—one at the beginning of summer and one near the end. If I’m going to participate in the prelims, I have to be selected as my club’s representative… And there’s a qualifier meet to determine who that rep will be. It’s my dream to compete in gymnastics on the global level.

I’d be invincible if I had you cheering me on, Senpai! *giggle*

I can’t thank you enough for today. I swear I’ll return the favor some—

Whoa there. I walked you to the train station because it was raining. No need for payback, it’s really just a courtesy.

(Intrigued Female First-year) You mean the honors gymnast? She gets the VIP treatment at school AND a boyfriend to escort her around? Miss Special Snowflake sure is livin’ on easy street…

The two students leave.

Yeah, you’re right! The same thing happens in class, too. People are often wary of me because I’m an honor student. The school’s expecting me to attain strong results in the upcoming competitions, too. They even told me I didn’t have to participate in the cleanup event… But I just don’t like getting special treatment.

It’s okay, thanks. Mmhm. I’ll see you later.

A bit overprotective, don’t you think?

Yes, I definitely agree. Well, I have to get to practice, so it’s time for me to go. Thanks so much for today. Excuse me!

Kasumi’s gotta train hard. If she wins regionals, then it’s straight on to sectionals, and then a week later is semis, then semi-regionals, then regional-semis, then national lower-zone semis!

But never mind that—having wet fur is the worst… Try to keep me under the umbrella, would you?

You’re joking, right? Anyway, here are the details. The girl acting like a queen is Hikari Shimizu. I wonder if it’s more likely that a girl will turn out like that if she has S as an initial… Well, I already posted the warning, so you should take it on when you have the time! Hopefully you don’t end up an M!
What did he mean by S and M? Those are shirt sizes, right? Is it the size of clothes? Anyway, it seems like she’s a worthy target. Let’s find time to consult the others at the hideout.

The Thieves’ Den has updated. I did mess around a tiny bit in there but we’re gonna save that for later because not too much got added.

(Stylish Male Student) A message board called the “Phan-Site.” Its viewership is insane right now.
Is that site safe to look at? I won’t get a bunch of ads trying to scam me?
You’re worrying too much! Just ignore that stuff.

Back to Kichijoji. We have a few options today. Maruki’s available and we’ve built up a decent backlog of Mementos requests, but I have one thing on the brain for today.

(Kichijoji-Native Girl) Seriously? I thought “Inoko” was a popular abbreviation. Does that guy even know the official name?
He’s gotta know that! “Inokashira Oncho Park” is, like, super-famous.
Well, even you’ve got it wrong. It’s “Inokashira Onshi Park.” That’s “Onshi,” not “Oncho.”

Today, we’re headed back to Penguin Sniper.

Hey, did you forget already? You can play billiards at this place, too. Well, it’s up to you whether you want to play darts or billiards.
Would you like to play darts or billiards? It’s 800 yen to play all you want.

Darts, huh?

Heh, didn’t I tell you? I’m always thinking of what’s best for the Phantom Thieves. What’re you gonna do? You wanna play with someone?

So, we can pick from any of our current party members to play darts. This handy menu shows us everyone’s rank, and also…

…their “style” of play.

None of this actually matters, really, they’re all pretty good at darts. Better than me, certainly. “Accuracy” seems like it would be more relevant than it is, but it ends up being superfluous due to certain other mechanics of the game. Ryuji’s accuracy is higher though because he’s at Rank 2.

We’re going to start with Yusuke because he gains the most from getting his Baton Pass rank up due to his exclusive skills.

Thank you, that’ll be 800 yen! Please enjoy yourselves.

As I explained earlier, we’re playing ‘01. We have 5 rounds to bring our score down to 0! And by doing it as a pair, the Phantom Thieves’ teamwork will strengthen!

Let us team up for the first match, Maaku. *chuckle* How exciting…! As for the rules… Let us go with 301. Everything starts with the basics.

Oh boy! Motion controls!

So, there’s this target area we can manipulate by moving the controller.

Once we enter aiming mode, the target area will stop moving and a dot will begin bouncing around inside it. Now, despite what the tutorial said, you do not actually have to shake the controller to throw the dart and I recommend you immediately forget that you can even do that, because you’re gonna gently caress up trying to. Instead, you can just press X. However…

…There’s still a pretty noticeable delay between hitting the button and throwing the dart, so the dot will move a bit before your throw happens, like here, where I was aiming for the triple 20!

And here!

Oh, and here!

Again, the AI is pretty drat good at darts. They’re not gonna carry you, but still.

Here, I remember some critical darts “tech” from my previous playthrough of this game: if you put the place you’re aiming for in one of the very ends of the target oval, you essentially have twice as much time to hit the button because it’s going to enter that area, bounce off the end, then leave. I don’t quite do it right here and mistime a couple of throws, but I still get a bullseye and 80 points total, which is good enough to qualify for the special secret.

What, are you dying!?

We wanna get this next question correct to increase Yusuke’s odds of finishing himself.

Yep, that’s right. If you let your partner finish in Round 4 instead of doing it yourself, their Baton Pass Rank will increase twice, maxing them out instantly. It’s great.

You’re right. Painting is about being in the moment! Yes… I can do it now!

Nice job, Yusuke!

What a stimulating session of passion for us both! I am in high spirits indeed!

Uh, what?

I feel like I’ve learned something by playing on a team…

So, we can decide to go a second round if we so desire. The problem is, we can’t pick who volunteers to go next. Ann is perhaps the person I wanted to go next the least (because Ryuji would benefit more from the damage boost and SP recovery at Rank 3, and also because I know all of you want to see how the gently caress Morgana plays darts), but we’ll accept nevertheless. I really didn’t want to record this twice.

As for the rules… Let’s do 301. I think I can handle that!

Around here is where I start getting the hang of it.

Then Ann goes…

It’s round 3 now… Let’s keep at it!

Then I go, intentionally getting the score down incredibly low so it’s near-impossible to gently caress it up.

Oh, right! Yeah, that’s all you can really do!

And she nails it. Great work.

I could feel you were counting on me… So I had to try really hard!

Maaku gains Proficiency +1.

All the members of the Phantom Thieves gain some affection points towards their next Confidant rank up. Even Yusuke, who we haven’t unlocked yet.

We can train up, and have fun at the same time. This is a pretty handy place.
Well, see you around.

We’ll have to check out billiards next time we’re here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 6, 2021

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Seems silly to say it now after all this time, but your commentary and alternate dialogue are really, really good.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I really like these additions to the game, it makes the characters feel like actual teenage friends who like each other and do teenage things together.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arist posted:

Why is this dude wearing that hat and also in a yukata?

I've seen a guy in a hat/yukata combo in real life, and GIS turns up a lot of pictures of both men and women wearing Western-style hats with yukata. I guess it's a way of being trendy?

mycelia posted:

Seems silly to say it now after all this time, but your commentary and alternate dialogue are really, really good.

kw0134 posted:

I really like these additions to the game, it makes the characters feel like actual teenage friends who like each other and do teenage things together.

Agreed. Stealing party funds does indeed whip rear end

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've seen a guy in a hat/yukata combo in real life, and GIS turns up a lot of pictures of both men and women wearing Western-style hats with yukata. I guess it's a way of being trendy?

Agreed. Stealing party funds does indeed whip rear end

Spending party funds to improve the party by hanging out with them is hardly stealing. That and as a certain manga showed none of these idiots can be trusted with serious money.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Then Ryo, Kiryu, and Cloud all walk in and challenge the Thieves to a darts tournament.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yusuke being a complete dork is well established but he does so little in the base game that even him getting all excited over darts here is endearing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eotWyZv5c

God, this video came out almost a year and a half ago. :negative:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

When I grow up, I wanna be the kind of cool motherfucker who can put a license plate on his hat and call it fashion. No fucks given.

You have to wear your license plate hat with your yukata. Double fashion!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 48: 6/6-6/7: McDonald’s! McDonald’s! McDonald's! (New)

This update contains content from Part 44 of the original LP.

Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

Miss Honor Student must be busy kissing rear end somewhere.
You don’t have to be so harsh…
What is this about a student council president?

>Well, Yusuke, in high school there is traditionally an election held to determine a representative for the student body, and we call that person the student council president.

The one at our school has kinda been keeping tabs on us. I think she’s suspicious of us.

>It’s mostly me, I think. Unless she’s been following you guys around obsessively too.

Are you sure it is not merely a result of Ryuji’s general misconduct?
Shuddup!
Though to be honest, the three of you most certainly stand out. Do try to be careful. I cannot be there to look over you at school, you know. That duty rests on your broad shoulders, Maaku.

>Probably shouldn’t rest too much on my shoulders, to be honest. I have a pretty developed slouch.

I’ll make sure to keep an eye on Ryuji too.
Why do you gotta single me out…?
The others kinda overshadow you sometimes, but don’t forget: You’re famous too. Just make sure you’re careful, okay?

Oh? The phone is ringing again? Who ever could it be?

AH CHRIST

Caroline, that is not a sufficient explanation.

That’s the door only we can see in your world! You’d better not go to the wrong place!
We will be waiting for you. We expect great haste and enthusiasm from you.

Don’t ask.

If you’re being summoned somewhere, you should probably get going.

More Thieves’ Den stuff. Probably just gonna stop pointing this out.

I’M TRYING MY BEST, OKAY

(Thin-Voiced Woman) Oh, let’s not do Shibuya… It’s gotten really unsafe, I hear. I don’t mind if it’s near our office.

What’s a “thin voice”?

(Deep-Voiced Woman) Girl’s night in Kichijoji? I dunno. Won’t they think we’re just a bunch of drab thirty-somethings out on the town?

Due to the camera angles in this alley it’s literally impossible for me to get face shots of some of these NPCs without like, using camera hacks. Sorry, but we’ll go with the generic “Chatter” portraits for those.

Well, there’s the twins. Let’s go see what they need.

You’re late! Next time we expect you in front of us within two seconds of our calling!
We’ve got some new duties lined up for you. Let’s call them “special assignments”! To the point: there are a number of places in your reality’s society that may foster your rehabilitation. You will prove the value of these places to us—in person.
We will select various locations that we suspect could be vital to your rehabilitation. Should you recognize a place that we mention, then you are to escort us there.

Are those ears of yours just for decoration? These are special assignments for the sake of your rehabilitation. Work just as hard at them as you do the rest of your duties.

Should you meet our expectations, we’ll scrape together some sort of reward for you—so no slacking off!
We ought to mention: these special assignments will not be available indefinitely. To phrase it for your comprehension, you will have until the end of the year to complete them.

We’re really going out of our way for you here—don’t tell us we never did anything special for you!

Royal adds several outings with the twins along the lines of the Elizabeth/Theo “dates” from Persona 3. They’re pretty good.

Time will pass? Weeeeeak! This never happened with Liz!

We will now introduce the first special assignment—are you prepared?

Then listen closely. The first location we have chosen is… one that has grown quite popular lately. It’s purported to offer foods that simulate the feeling of being in space.
The food is apparently massive enough to rival the size of the universe itself and resembles a mysterious spacecraft.
If this food exemplifies both the unknown and the vast nothingness of space, it is sure to stimulate the heart. Does this description bring any locations to mind?
Well? If you know where it is, then escort us there immediately!
…… It could be the Big Bang Burger over in Shibuya…
So, what’ll it be?

Big Bang Burger? The name is fitting, I suppose.
We shall confirm our intel for ourselves. Lead the way.

Music: Big Bang Burger March

Is this the meal they boasted to be as immense as the cosmos? I’m quite disappointed.
Hey, Inmate—you don’t really expect some kind of reward out of this, do you?

Stop wasting our time and tell us.

I once ate a burger that was thiiiiiiis big…

The Big Bang Challenge… What an intriguing concept. For the sake of your rehabilitation, you are to take this challenge. Of course, you will take the largest they offer.

Any objections, Inmate?

Ah, yes, I did overhear that the challenge required advancement through a number of previous stages.

Please, for the love of god, I need to impress these children or they’ll never stop making fun of me!

Not by choice!

Not only that, buuuut you’re our 10,000th customer! To show you our appreciation, we’re treating you with the highest tier of the Big Bang Challenge: the Cosmic Tower Burger!
W-Wow… Lucky you…
Well then, it’s time to get the thirty-minute Big Bang Challenge started! Ready… Begin!

Music: High Pressure

It’s bigger than the Inmate’s entire stomach… Perhaps the moniker implies that any diner’s stomach will suffer its own Big Bang?

Complaining before the challenge has even begun… Perhaps one could say you don’t have the guts for this?

Literally true! In more ways than one!

Just so you know, even if you do pop, we won’t feel responsible.
I predict this challenge shall be a fairly difficult one… Be that as it may, you must finish the food tower in its entirety. Failing to join the clean plate club is a grave offense…

But you’ve only just begun…

You’re stopping?

Hmm, don’t his eyes look rather… dead to you?
Perhaps he is glimpsing the vast emptiness of outer space?
Uh, hey… Is he really all right? He’s not about to keel over, is he?

I don’t think I can finish…
I think he’s about to pass out.
…It appears this truly was too much for him to handle. Very well, let us pitch in.

Music: My Homie

I have to say, you really held your own there.
You almost didn’t make it through, but we’ll call this a success since your stomach didn’t burst.

They certainly craft a meal of impressive size, but when compared to what the big bang generated, it’s not grand in the least. Do humans have some sort of compulsion for exaggerating the sizes of things?
Good question. In fact, this challenge raises quite a few of them. You took the challenge for the sake of your rehabilitation, but who in their right mind would willingly consume so much food? Maybe I don’t understand humanity at all… Say, Inmate: why are humans always testing and pushing their limits?

Hey, Justine. Maybe we should take the challenge ourselves.
I just had the very same thought. If we were to thrust ourselves into this ordeal, perhaps we would discover some answers.

H-How can I help you?
We’re taking the Big Bang Challenge.
Well, ah… There’s a minimum age requirement to be eligible for the challenge… Ooh! Could I interest you in our Lil Bang Meal instead? It even comes with a toy! Don’t you want a cute little spaceshiiip?

That’s a burger, fries, and a juice for 500 yen! It’ll be right up!

It’s too late now—let’s just settle for that today… I admit I’m intrigued by the diminutive spaceship.

Music: What’s Going On?

You seemed much more excited by the toy than the taste, anyway.

I saw you eating around those “pickle” things or whatever they are, Justine!

WHAT!? Is this true!?

Calm down, Caroline. We’re getting off track.
Grrr… Well, at any rate, we’ve determined that hamburgers are incapable of conveying the majesty of space. While the toy spaceship helped to soften the blow, there’s no denying the truth. Now we will formally acknowledge the completion of your task.
Here is your reward.

Skill cards!? I wasted a time slot and all I got were some lousy skill cards!? gently caress me!

For a reasonable fee, nearly every desire can be fulfilled, all as if it were nothing.
That does sound interesting. I believe it may merit further research. Anyways, good work, Inmate. Your final task for the day is to escort us back to the Velvet Room. Let’s move!
I escorted the twins back to the Velvet Room as ordered…

Anon: i can’t
Anon: What about the pupils?
Anon: they can’t catch EVERYONE
Anon: what a joke
Anon: they’re just making threats

You’re in high school, right? I know a good part-time job…
They still haven’t caught whoever sent that calling card?
I’m actually a phantom thief. Wanna go grab some coffee?
Did some idiot leak pictures again?

Early Morning

(Train Monitor) Now for today’s Train News. Today’s headlines are… “Calling Card at Madarame Exhibit!” The police are evaluating whether this is a true threat or a prank. “Scam Outbreak in Shibuya!” Students are the primary victims. Organized crime is suspected here.
Students getting scammed? That’s scary… You should be careful when you go to Shibuya.

(Surprised Female Student) It says they’re looking for information. I heard Principal Kobayakawa put it up.
(Hesitant Female Student) “Please consult the student council president if you have any details.”
(Dubious Male Student) So we can go to her for anything? Why the student council president though? What does she have to do with Principal Kobayakawa?
I mean, Niijima-san is his favorite. Maybe that’s why he asked her to do it.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

He was someone who represented Japan. They probably trusted him based on his name alone. Indeed, we’re easily manipulated by the names we see. However, this world is filled with fake names. For instance, this creature, which you know well. It’s called the red king crab, but it has a form that a crab should not have.

Bold, assuming I know much at all about crabs.

Hamiru-kun, look at this picture.

Heh… Not bad.

The direction the legs unfold is reversed too. Typically they face forward, but a red king’s do not.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1. ALL BECOMES CRAB.

Incidentally, the tomalley of a crab isn’t its brain, as some people say. It’s actually the crab’s liver and pancreas. As you can see, the world is full of deception.
I saw some kind of paste like that in the fridge at Leblanc… but it’s not often you see real crab meat. Hey, why don’t we get sushi for our next celebration?

Morning → Afternoon

No.
I just wish we could get some respect, y’know?
If we keep at it, people will definitely recognize us… as the Phantom Thieves, anyway.
Fine, let’s act all modest or whatever…

Afternoon → After School

Anon: Too elaborate for a prank
Anon: SERIOUSLY??? LOL
Anon: We gotta believe!
Anon: This is rude to the victims.
Anon: This site’s still up? lol

Should we tell Miss President? It’s so unfair that she gets special treatment!
Well, it doesn’t really concern me…
Student Council? What’s going on?
I wish I were an honor student! I don’t wanna have to pay tuition!

Principal Kobayakawa put that up without my—
(Female Council Member) We’ve already received some anonymous information. “I heard some students are getting threatened. I’m so scared… Please do something.”
What!?
“They have dirt on me, and they’re demanding money. I can’t go to the police… What should I do?” Isn’t this talking about the crimes that have been rumored to be occurring in Shibuya?
So there are even victims at our school… What should we do?
This isn’t the responsibility of the student council. This is frightening for us too… Principal Kobayakawa called you in yesterday, right? Did he tell you anything about this?

No, that meeting was about… much dumber things, unfortunately. And he’s not in today, either—he’s got a public appearance fighting Spider-Man at a birthday party. I’ll bring this to his attention when he returns tomorrow. Please, just be patient…

If you say so…
…My apologies for the confusion. Don’t worry. I’ll do something about all of this…

But first we need a new target. I hope we can find a good one…

Apparently there’s a group of burglars terrorizing Shibuya. From what I hear, they only target restaurants and break in after they close for the day. Someone online was asking if it was the work of the Phantom Thieves…

What!? You can’t seriously believe that!

Mishima, you’re too easy to gently caress with.

Anyway, I heard they’ve been running away without leaving even a trace of evidence. That’s all the information I have on them right now… Sorry. For now, I’ll make a post on the Phan-Site and ask for any more details people might know.
Man, being famous really brings its own unique set of problems… But we don’t really have any info. We’ll just have to wait for Mishima to get a more solid lead.

Can’t do anything there until we get more information.

You think maybe the Phantom Thieves go to our school? That’d be exciting, wouldn’t it?
(Energetic Student) That’s great and all, but I’m excited by something else. Our field trip is coming up, and I want to go see the TV station!

I kinda thought they were fake, but maybe they do exist after all…
Y’know, that logo’s actually pretty cool. Did he draw that?
Is he a fan of theirs? I never would’ve expected it from a stern guy like him…
Our name’s starting to get out there. I’m excited to see what happens next!

…Oh dear.

…Yeah, this is bad. Poor Kasumi, getting her name dragged through the mud because of us. :smith:

Let me get your opinion on this. What do you think is the Phantom Thieves’ objective?

There’s a lot of bad guys in the world, so I’d like to support the Phantom Thieves too. For the newspaper club, I’ll continue to watch for what the Phantom Thieves will do next.

Mmm, I wonder if they really have that much free time. Personally, I’d like to support the Phantom Thieves. They do help and save some people, right?

I know, right? I’m not sure I get their whole “stealing hearts” thing, either. At any rate, they do seem to be getting more popular.

(Glib Male Student) Oh, yeah, when I looked up the Phantom Thieves online, I found this weird blog by a crazy person. Her blog’s called “Phantom Thieves Want to Steal My Boyfriend.” She mentions “blood storms”… a lot.
Whoa. She really sounds deranged. I feel bad for her boyfriend, whoever he is.

After that artist, though, those Phantom Thieves might come back to steal Ikesugi-kun’s heart! If they come, I’ll show them no mercy. I’ll make them bleed… It’ll be a blood storm! *giggle*

(Motivated First-Year) Wow! Maybe we know them!
I dunno. Everyone here is so… ordinary.
Maybe, but with all the other crazy stuff that’s gone on at Shujin, nothing would surprise me now!

I can’t go to the police, and the teachers are no good either… All that’s left is the student council… Dammit, what should I do…?

(Intense Soccer Player) Such a disgrace. A famous guy like him, exploiting his own pupil. But I want to know more about the Phantom Thieves. They did the same thing to Kamoshida.
What if they actually went to Shujin? I wonder if they’d join the basketball team.

Uhhhh, sure you would.

Oh! Ignore what I just said. I can’t be attracting too much attention to myself. But I can’t just watch idly if someone is robbing the innocent. I had to do something… The world is filled with villains. It’s up to the heroes to get rid of them! Yes, it’s my destiny…

With all the attention I’ve been getting, I’ve got no privacy. You can’t possibly understand. But there’s no time to relax. On the phantom thief fan sites, so many people need saving. The world is filled with villains. It’s up to the heroes to get rid of them! Yes, it’s my destiny…

(Kind Faculty Member) People who draw a lot of attention might have circumstances and pressures we don’t know about.
You’re too nice, Sensei. Who cares about their feelings if they’re bad guys?
By the way, are the Phantom Thieves still big news? Our school doesn’t need more bad publicity…

(Female Volleyball Player) I’m really grateful to them for saving me. If they really exist, I’d like to cheer them on…
Why don’t you try posting online on a fan site? You never know, they might be checking those out.

(Gentle Male Student) That sounds freaky. Maybe they use some kind of weird mind control drugs…
(Refined Male Student) The notion of “stealing hearts” intrigues me. One must touch their subordinates’ hearts to lead them, after all.
Haha, I knew you’d say something like that. Maybe you should see if you can join the Phantom Thieves.

“In an effort to resolve this issue, we will gladly accept any and all information students have to offer. Please go to your class president if you have anything you would like to come forth about. Strict secrecy will be observed. I hope you act responsibly. —Principal Kobayakawa”

Weird.

“There will be a social studies trip from June 9th-10th. Mind your manners when you are on the trip.” “Aim for the Olympics!” “High hopes for Yoshizawa’s performance!”

I’m writing this on July 10th, 2021, and I’m just gonna say that this Olympics reference hits a little different these days. Real big oof.

(Bothered Student) We’re going to check out a TV station, right? I wonder if anyone famous is gonna be there.

… Huh? This isn’t a robbery? Oh, please don’t scare me like that.

But there have been tons of threats and robberies around here lately… It happened to some of my friends. I heard someone’s pulling the strings behind the scenes. You’d better watch out too, young man.

No, I’m the one who jumped to conclusions. At night, like usual, Shibuya is a treacherous place.

You know that Madarame incident? Apparently, an organization from Shibuya was involved with it. With money being transferred behind the scenes, tensions in Shibuya will be high for a while.

(Modest Housewife) Plagiarizing, was it? And from his own pupil, at that.
You hear about that—people who pass off another’s hard work as their own.
Ohoho… Yes, my husband was quite distraught about that as well.

Back to Penguin Sniper for the third day in a row!

Billiards, huh?

All right, let’s get everyone over here. So, billiards, right?

Thank you, that’ll be 800 yen! Please enjoy yourselves.

No kiddin’. He’s got the aura of a pro…!
Have you played somewhere before? You do seem to know some unexpected stuff…

Oh c’mon! It’s that thing you’ve got in your hands! What was that about having the aura of a pro…
Heheh. I’m getting pumped now. Alright, let’s get started!

Ann is a simpleton about the fine art of billiards. Which is totally fine by me, for the record, because I’m the exact loving same.

Glad to see everyone had fun. I gotta say though… Thanks to playing billiards, I think you’ve learned more about making bold decisions when the time calls for it!

Maaku gains Guts +2.

If you’d like to learn more about it, there’s a book I’d recommend reading. It’s called Expert Billiards. It covers everything from the basics to practical applications.

Practical applications of billiards!?

The only problem is, it’s quite a rare book. You might have some difficulty finding it. You may have a better chance of getting it at a specialty shop that sells sports supplies, as opposed to an ordinary bookstore.

…You really know a lot about this, huh?

Oops, I didn’t mean to hold you up right as you were leaving. Please, do come again.
A book on billiards, huh… Next time we’re free, we should check to see if we can find it at a sporting goods store.

If it’s all the same with you, I’d really rather not. That guy was *really* into pool. I saw a dark future ahead of me there. Let’s just keep this as a hobby for now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would need to check but I think the skill cards they give can be used to help with their confidant requests.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hunt11 posted:

I would need to check but I think the skill cards they give can be used to help with their confidant requests.

This is true. Rank 10 needs that High Counter card you get from a hangout

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The hangouts are nice. I like them. Really has the feel of 'babysitting someone's rich kids, with all their bossiness and silly inexperience turned up to 11'. I'm ok with that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If I could have a burger that was all pickle then I would.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The Caroline and Justine "dates" are exceptional, just a constant state of :allears:.

...I almost feel bad for Margaret though. I couldn't tell you a single defining character trait about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maaku knew he was making a mistake when he signed up for Big Brothers Big Sisters.