Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Red bean is fine when you know it's what you're getting. But every single person new to Asia has made the "oh, chocolate" mistake and gotten burned.

I once thought I was ordering a pork bun and it was red bean and I wanted to die. It's not like I even hate a red bean bun, but when you're expecting pork and you get that it's just the worst.

(Also there's way too much loving red bean. There are other dessert flavors, guys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Taro is more of a dessert than red bean. At least it's somewhat sweet.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

the local sichuanese place (which for a long time was the only non-canto place in town) got a new chef this year and it turned into absolute garbage :/

I feel like good hole in the wall Chinese places are extremely susceptible to this. There's just some middle aged dude in the back making poo poo however he thinks it should be made. If that dude leaves the taste is going to be completely different.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I saw something kinda odd on Sunday while I was watching the England vs Italy game. There were ads for Ali Pay and some other company that were completely in Chinese.

I wasn't sure that Ali Pay was even in the UK till I googled it and they did some deal with Barclays in 2020. It was weird though seeing Ali Pay and then some words in Chinese because you'd think if they were trying to expand into the UK market their ad would be in English?

I'm not even sure what the other company did either.

I can't imagine how many millions were spent on these ads that weren't targeted to the main audience watching.

Ali Pay is like a Venmo or PayPal right? Its my understanding that the UK ( and maybe Europe) already has these features built in to all accounts.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Genesplicer posted:

I'm sorry I failed to live up to your expectations.
We’re used to it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

McGavin posted:

Taro is more of a dessert than red bean. At least it's somewhat sweet.

taro is loving vile. it's my enemy out of all the universe

azuki lyfe

ili
Jul 26, 2003

McGavin posted:

My two food rules:
1. Everything is better without bone shards.
2. Beans are NOT a dessert. (Jellybeans are an exception.)

Bean based desserts are absolutely fantastic but.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The best thing about red-bean buns is Anpanman.

A popular Japanese childrens cartoon character. Here shown offering the sweet beany goodness of his head to anyone in need.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

quote:

During the Second World War, Takashi Yanase faced starvation countless times, which made him dream about eating an anpan. This inspired the creation of Anpanman.

In 2009, Anpanman was verified as a Guinness World Record Holder for the highest number of characters in an animated franchise, with a total of 1,768 characters appearing in the first 980 episodes of the TV series and the first 20 films.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SerCypher posted:

I feel like good hole in the wall Chinese places are extremely susceptible to this. There's just some middle aged dude in the back making poo poo however he thinks it should be made. If that dude leaves the taste is going to be completely different.

Yeah, with recipes being kind of anathema in Chinese cuisine it's hard for places to maintain any consistency.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I saw something kinda odd on Sunday while I was watching the England vs Italy game. There were ads for Ali Pay and some other company that were completely in Chinese.

I wasn't sure that Ali Pay was even in the UK till I googled it and they did some deal with Barclays in 2020. It was weird though seeing Ali Pay and then some words in Chinese because you'd think if they were trying to expand into the UK market their ad would be in English?

I can't imagine how many millions were spent on these ads that weren't targeted to the main audience watching.

Ali Pay is like a Venmo or PayPal right? Its my understanding that the UK ( and maybe Europe) already has these features built in to all accounts.

Where are you/where and how were you watching from, because it’s pretty standard for those ad projections to be changed for diff markets now.

Ali-pay is an actual payment gateway as well which I don’t think Venmo or PayPal do? You can scan QR code’s to pay at shops and vendors and all. It’s not just for account-to-account payments and the like.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Where are you/where and how were you watching from, because it’s pretty standard for those ad projections to be changed for diff markets now.

Ali-pay is an actual payment gateway as well which I don’t think Venmo or PayPal do? You can scan QR code’s to pay at shops and vendors and all. It’s not just for account-to-account payments and the like.

I was watching it from the US and the other banner ads seemed like they’d be more appropriate for the crowd / location.

Like I get having an ad for Ali pay but I don’t get having it in Chinese. Like if you can read Chinese you’d already know what Ali pay is lol.

Just seemed like a weird placement for the two ads.

Ah ok so that makes sense why they partnered with Barclays.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
They would never allow this in China
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6803451075920776454

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fur20 posted:

azuki lyfe

Taro is delicious but not as delicious as azuki. Also laughing at people who don't realize red beans aren't chocolate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Adzuki is great, you people are crazy.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Of all the food I miss, a bowl of icy rear end beans is not one of them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I knew about red bean =/= chocolate going into China, so I don't have any of those stories. What threw me for a loop was the little cubes of sweet potato on pizza in Korea. I thought they were pineapple.

Also going into a Subway restaurant in China, and asking for "mayo" on it was the closest I have ever been to living "Who's on First".

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Paypal's moved into that as well. There's been a big ad campaign on Youtube ever since covid hit talking about small businesses using Paypal QR code scanning as a contactless way to charge customers.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

do you mean like actual commercials or the banners in the stadium?

i know the euro cup was huge in china for viewership tho. i was very confused why every bar i passed was completely packed at like 5am on monday when i was omw to the gym until i found out it was people watching soccer. a couple soccer fan friends told me they went to like 2~4am showings of every game and every bar airing it was absolutely filled.

also +1 for red beans own and are good. matcha is another s-tier dessert flavor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ailumao posted:

do you mean like actual commercials or the banners in the stadium?

i know the euro cup was huge in china for viewership tho. i was very confused why every bar i passed was completely packed at like 5am on monday when i was omw to the gym until i found out it was people watching soccer. a couple soccer fan friends told me they went to like 2~4am showings of every game and every bar airing it was absolutely filled.

also +1 for red beans own and are good. matcha is another s-tier dessert flavor.

Yeah banner ads.

Also that’s super interesting and makes a lot more sense! Thanks!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

whenever I'm in Japan I am constantly popping into the nearest family mart/7-11/etc for

if you go when everyone's getting off work it will all be sold out

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

China is right to censor the internet

Glory to China, all hail Xi Jinping Thought

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

low key sex master posted:

China is right to censor the internet

Glory to China, all hail Xi Jinping Thought

After watching that Zoomer poo poo I agree

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fur20 posted:

nothing i like more in hotpot than taking a big bite of white caulk

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Not realizing red bean isn't chocolate is kids' stuff. I was eating congealed duck blood for months before I finally found out it wasn't just "the red tofu."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Blistex posted:

sweet potato on pizza

That's sounds great, now I must try it.

I've only ever had adzuki in overly preserved pastries from local import markets and it was terrible, but these things were shelf stable for years so it never stood a chance. How is it when fresh?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah banner ads.

Also that’s super interesting and makes a lot more sense! Thanks!

I've also seen random ads be in Japanese/Korean/English/Arabic/etc here in China at different big sporting international events for F1/Tennis/whatever. I assumed they were digitally changed per market as well, but I guess sometimes they're not?

but yeah soccer is still very much the #1 spectator sport in China (especially the european leagues), tho basketball is very quickly nipping at it's heels.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blistex posted:

Also going into a Subway restaurant in China, and asking for "mayo" on it was the closest I have ever been to living "Who's on First".
I had a similar experience at a Japanese bakery but that's way funnier already.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why were you asking for mayo at a bakery?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm more confused that it was Japanese and there wasn't already half a liter of mayo on it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The corn-mayo pizza at the Gusto chain of restaurants is probably the most disgusting dish that can be found on the island of Honshu, and possibly the entire world.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Just reading that makes me feel ill :mayo:

Grand Fromage posted:

I once thought I was ordering a pork bun and it was red bean and I wanted to die.

Once when I was a kid I went to drink what I thought was a glass of coke on a kitchen table and it was brown vinegar.

Some lessons in life only need to be learned once.

Sniff before taste.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol if you didn't accidentally gulp down a drink of your mom's boyfriend's chew spit as a kid. Red beans are nothing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm more confused that it was Japanese and there wasn't already half a liter of mayo on it.

because vie de france puts the half a liter of mayo IN the bread, not ON it

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
There's a new trend among dim sum places to have pineapple buns that have the filling of a 咸水角. For those who don't know, the filling consists of minced pork, mushrooms, crunchy vegetables, and a savory brown sauce.

It is the worst :mad:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

what the gently caress

pineapple buns should just have a thick slab of ice cold butter

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

That's sounds great, now I must try it.

I've only ever had adzuki in overly preserved pastries from local import markets and it was terrible, but these things were shelf stable for years so it never stood a chance. How is it when fresh?

In my experience there is nothing that Koreans won't put on pizza, it makes even a boring order from Dominos a strange journey as you randomly pick toppings and see what you get.

CIGNX posted:

There's a new trend among dim sum places to have pineapple buns that have the filling of a 咸水角. For those who don't know, the filling consists of minced pork, mushrooms, crunchy vegetables, and a savory brown sauce.

It is the worst :mad:

But I like the combination of sweet and savory unless it's something like Hawaiian Toast, which I'm still pretty sure is just a cruel joke Germany played on the rest of the world.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Don Gato posted:

In my experience there is nothing that Koreans won't put on pizza, it makes even a boring order from Dominos a strange journey as you randomly pick toppings and see what you get.

But I like the combination of sweet and savory unless it's something like Hawaiian Toast, which I'm still pretty sure is just a cruel joke Germany played on the rest of the world.

A chicken testicle pizza recently went viral in Taiwan.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i'll just have egg tarts thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

why does this exist