Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank you for the explanations! Being able to change tone like that is a nice skill. I don't know if I can finish Saturn's Children; it's just... Not what I usually go for in Sci-fi? Accelerando is though.

Btw... The latest Weir novel, Project Hail Mary is outstanding, if you're into that style, eg if you liked his previous novels. It's my favorite of the 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

I wish there was a full novel behind the final part of Seveneves. There was enough there for a full book, but I guess Eighteves doesnt roll off the tongue. The problem was there really wasn't much of plot to drive an actual story. It was more of a "where are they now" stretched out over 60k (100k) words.
I agree. Great example of world building. I especially liked the divergent evolution ideas, and some of the orbital tech descriptions. But like you said, more of an exploration than a story.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Doors of Eden by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087C3G2T3/

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16LC/

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Archives 1997 is when people are finally feeling brave enough to say that Orson Scott Card & Dan Simmons have been sucking for awhile.

SFL Archives 1997 is also when LeVar Burton's 1997 SF novel got some longtime SFL posters to self-out themselves as racists and/or fake-woke people.

And now SFL Archives 1997 tantalizingly got onto a hard science debate thanks to a SLIDERS tv episode involving neutron stars vs the solar system. And for someone who hates SLIDERS for denying George RR Martin his own tv-show, Gharlane of Eddore sure does religiously hate-watch SLIDERS. Oh yeah Gharlane also spouted off this unprovoked and out the blue about an actress appearing on SLIDERS in 1997,

quote:

The gal moves
and looks like she's carrying twenty-percent body fat, and her acting
indicates that most of the lipids being carried in her central nervous
system are severely impairing synaptic transfers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

quantumfoam posted:

SFL Archives 1997 is when people are finally feeling brave enough to say that Orson Scott Card & Dan Simmons have been sucking for awhile.
Really? For some reason I kept thinking that Simmons cracked after 9/11...

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Endymion was a pretty drastic fall off from Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion and that came out roughly the same time period - I think early? 1997

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

He's never been able to finish a series competently but he *also* went off the deep end post 911. Before that he was a decent short fiction guy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
As a piece of 70s-style shlock I actually really like CARRION COMFORT, it's really meaty and hosed up.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

adaz posted:

Endymion was a pretty drastic fall off from Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion and that came out roughly the same time period - I think early? 1997

I am firmly in the camp that Simmons Hyperion is vastly overrated; while Simmons Fall of Hyperion fell into strongly dumb and hokey and terrible territory for me. So I'm not a perfect or accurate gauge of when Dan Simmons started sucking as an author.

Anytime a SF-F author inserts classic big-name English authors/poets like Keats or Byron or Shelley etc as actual interactable characters into their SF-F stories is an almost sure sign I won't enjoy the story. Mostly because the SF-F authors that I have read who do that seem to over-use that gimmick throughout their career because they are empty of any ideas by themselves.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Finished up Project Hail Mary...
Was kinda weird how it was presented as HARD SCIENCE WRITER MAN WRITES NEW BOOK USING ONLY HARD SCIENCE and then it turns out to not be all that hard science.

What are you comparing to? I ask because while you could certain throw spears at plausibility and hand-waving at many parts of it, It's harder scifi than most of what I've come across.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Simmons' Science Fiction is his weakest writing (Hyperion aside.). His horror is fine, his historical+supernatural books are often quite good, his mysteries are perfectly adequate. If you stay away from the Sci Fi you'll be okay. Especially Flashback. Don't even read the back cover of Flashback.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I made the mistake of reading Ilium and you will never find a more self-aggrandizing wankfest of a "novel."

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

packetmantis posted:

I made the mistake of reading Ilium and you will never find a more self-aggrandizing wankfest of a "novel."

You can kinda see the exact moment when 9/11 broke his brain and he went full racist in Ilium/Olympos when he suddenly turns to talking about the muslim-created robots that hunted down all the jewish people on earth and the muslim submarines that carried planet-destroying black-hole bombs.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

^^^
I started that and was like oh this is kind of going to be like Lord of Light with the obligatory Simmons fest around ancient authors then BAM full on crazy real fast

quantumfoam posted:

I am firmly in the camp that Simmons Hyperion is vastly overrated; while Simmons Fall of Hyperion fell into strongly dumb and hokey and terrible territory for me. So I'm not a perfect or accurate gauge of when Dan Simmons started sucking as an author.

Anytime a SF-F author inserts classic big-name English authors/poets like Keats or Byron or Shelley etc as actual interactable characters into their SF-F stories is an almost sure sign I won't enjoy the story. Mostly because the SF-F authors that I have read who do that seem to over-use that gimmick throughout their career because they are empty of any ideas by themselves.

I love Hyperion but it was definitely more of a light touch of "Sci-fi author loves classic english lit" compared to the later stuff. Nowadays I recommend folks just read Hyperion and skip everything else in the Cantos since it gets Real bad, Real fast and the Keats stuff wears on me too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quantumfoam posted:

I have a similar pet peeve about Arthur, Lancelot, etc., qua Arthur, i.e. not a figure or allegory or reference but Arthur and Lancelot Themselves, showing up in anything that isn't, in fact, set in post-Roman Britain. It's like a giant waving banner emblazoned "THIS BOOK IS poo poo AND THE AUTHOR HAS NO IDEAS" in letters of fire five feet tall.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Was Arthur immortal in The Dark is Rising or was that time travel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pseudorandom name posted:

Was Arthur immortal in The Dark is Rising or was that time travel.

From what I recall it's both, but importantly, there's no Arthur in The Dark is Rising itself, which is why it is better than the rest of that series

Other notable sinners in this vein are the Fionavar Tapestry books and That Hideous Strength.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I recall it's both, but importantly, there's no Arthur in The Dark is Rising itself, which is why it is better than the rest of that series

Other notable sinners in this vein are the Fionavar Tapestry books and That Hideous Strength.
TDiR does have the unnamed English king buried Viking style in a hill (a la Sutton Hoo) who is holding the water sign who really seems like he could be Arthur given what you know at that point in the books, but it's not him.

Regarding Arthur - yeah it's both. Arthur has a time and place that Will and Merriman travel to for Old One shenanigans, but he is also part of the High Magic and therefore has an identity outside of time. At the end of Silver on the Tree, the Lady explains what's up when Bran is given the choice to stay or get on the ship with the Elves and go into the West Old Ones and the rest of Team Light and go somewhere outside of time. Bran decides to stay and becomes a regular mortal and only Will "the watchman" sticks around to...??? I guess he just gets to hang out until humanity kills itself or maybe the heat death of the universe.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Dominoes posted:

What are you comparing to? I ask because while you could certain throw spears at plausibility and hand-waving at many parts of it, It's harder scifi than most of what I've come across.

Mostly his Martian novel. The only thing he really goofed up in that was the storm in the beginning, and even he admitted it needed to happen for the plot to go on.

I didn't read his other novel so no idea if it's good or bad.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Artemis was my least favorite of the three, but all 3 had a similar writing style, and emphasis on solving problems in a way that makes me want to play along with the protagonist, and solve it before he or she does. The Hiro?.

I think Project Hail Mary was less of a hard-scifi book because it was far more ambitious than the Martian. I can't think of any story that includes interstellar travel, and sentient aliens that does a better job in the hard-scifi area. For example, Neal Stephenson deliberately doesn't tackle those concepts, because he doesn't believe (as he stated in an interview at MIT) it's feasible for humans as we know it.

There are many scifi books, films etc I'm not familiar with - do any do a better job tackling the spoilered concepts than PHM? I'm not asking to debate; I want to know what to read next!

--- Tangent
This is what I love about sci fi - I want to work through the problems with Grace and Watney, knowing the solution's not Deus ex machina. I want to toy with the ideas in a Stephenson novel, evaluate why they don't exist, and what it would take to make them exist. When I read something like Saturn's Children, none of it comes close enough to making sense to do this. For example, look at a Watney or Grace problem and how he solves it - then look at how the Saturn's Children hero gets out of the traintrack situation. In the former, you can come up with the solution, something close, or a clever idea that isn't the one used. In the latter, she makes some poo poo up using abilities we know nothing about.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 13, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I really like the aliens in Children of Time.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

For the second of the two, Arrival (movie)/Story of Your Life (Chiang) or Embassytown (Mieville) would be where I’d go.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I loved Arrival! One of my favorite films. Adding those books to the top of my reading list.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Now that I think about it, Contact, both film and book, did an outstanding job in both categories.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

adaz posted:

Rise of Endymion is 1997. I distinctly remember that because there's several hundred pages of self-indulgent bloat in the middle about his Tibetan-themed planet, and I didn't think it was a coincidence it came out the same time as Kundun and Seven Years in Tibet, when Western fascination with the country was at its zenith.

(FWIW I really enjoyed the first three books in the series and think Rise of Endymion is the only bad one.)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm trying to remember the name of a book where they have FTL, and comparing telescope readings between faraway stars is how they find proof of alien life.

Ringing any bells?

E: It was the Commonwealth Saga

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 13, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Dominoes posted:

Now that I think about it, Contact, both film and book, did an outstanding job in both categories.

Now read Blindsight :unsmigghh:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Sixteen Ways to Imagine You Are Siri Keeton

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I tried to read Hyperion because my boyfriend really loved it and I couldn't get more than a few chapters in because I loving hated everyone except the robots, and I didn't want to spend a whole book getting mad that I wasn't reading about the robots. I think that was Hyperion, anyway.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Nah, that's one of the other ones. Hyperion has hardboiled detective ladies who wanna gently caress Keats and some priests and a poet and electric trees and spaceships made of (non-electric) trees and a planet with dolphins (I think?) Very few robots.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DurianGray posted:

Nah, that's one of the other ones. Hyperion has hardboiled detective ladies who wanna gently caress Keats and some priests and a poet and electric trees and spaceships made of (non-electric) trees and a planet with dolphins (I think?) Very few robots.

Man I have no idea what I read then. But I didn't like it!

Oh was it the Olympos/Ilium ones? God I don't even care enough to look it up. Sorry thread.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It was probably the Ilium/Olympos ones and yeah they suck rear end.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Dominoes posted:

There are many scifi books, films etc I'm not familiar with - do any do a better job tackling the spoilered concepts than PHM? I'm not asking to debate; I want to know what to read next!

I haven't read PHM so hard to say if it is better, but maybe Encounter with Tiber, by Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes. Aside from the spoilered concepts it does a generally great job of depicting modern astronauts and NASA bureaucracy, which is to be expected given who the author is.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Regarding Hyperion and its sequels, I can really only recommend the first. It's great big-brain weirdness in the vein of Dune that presents this strange and wonderful world through a familiar narrative structure. The sequels are just heroic sci-fi adventures set in that world.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Regarding Hyperion and its sequels, I can really only recommend the first. It's great big-brain weirdness in the vein of Dune that presents this strange and wonderful world through a familiar narrative structure. The sequels are just heroic sci-fi adventures set in that world.

I wanna see your reading list because with the kind of books i usually read, a space tree teleporting around to deliver a virus that kills the immortality-granting parasites distributed by the catholic church and created by AI to steal our bodily fluids/cpu cycles is pretty weird. If you ask me to describe Rise of Endymion in one word I'll say "weird". Three words and I'll say "weird and boring", so I dunno about recommending it, but still. Weird.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Urcher posted:

I haven't read PHM so hard to say if it is better, but maybe Encounter with Tiber, by Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes. Aside from the spoilered concepts it does a generally great job of depicting modern astronauts and NASA bureaucracy, which is to be expected given who the author is.
Thank you. That sort of dive into the politics is interesting, and something I enjoyed about Three Body Problem.

sm_sa
Mar 8, 2005
sm
Some time around my third attempt to read The Fall of Hyperion, I got out of a taxi and left my copy of the book on the seat behind me.
As the taxi pulled away and I realised what'd I done I had a moment of clarity, and I gave it a big wave goodbye forever...

Also, thanks for the huge amount of recommendations / reviews / discussions in this thread that have resulted in new books I've read, that I possibly wouldn't have bothered with otherwise.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Collapsing Empire (Interdependency #1) by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F20E7CO/

The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756JH5R1/

Middlegame by Seanan McGuire - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HF2ZK75/

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KT7YTO6/

The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJZDJ8Y/

Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV95CWZ/

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

E: It was the Commonwealth Saga

i don't like hamilton that much in the grand scheme of thing, but i will always respect the commonwealth saga for paying due respect to the mighty Train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I finally finished reading the Daevabad trilogy over vacation. For those who are interested in Arabic fantasy, Djinn's and a pretty decent story I'd recommend it! The only real trying part was a uh, very long love triangle between the 3 main characters and the end book had a whole lot of REDEMPTION ARK in it. It was still a pretty good yarn though.

It also made me hungry as the author (S. A Chakraborty ) is a fine cook herself based on her twitter and there's a lot of food smells and imagery in the book and all I wanted to do was bury my head in mediterrean/Egyptian cooking after reading it.