Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mano posted:

It's not true for all types of apps (i.e. apps using GPS, or downloading stuff).

I'm not saying it when I see someone kill a rogue app. I say it when I see someone send a text or something and then open up their app switcher and kill literally everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

open up their app switcher and kill literally everything
Does that even do anything? I thought that to actually kill an app you have to go into into the settings and "force stop"?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I guess, but I've even tried simplifying by flat out saying "your phone knows how to save energy, you're making it do more work"

People think everything works (or should work) the way "common sense" tells them it should. They don't consider that many people spend their lives figuring out stuff like that. It's the same instinct that makes dumb people think every problem has a simple solution nobody else thought of. Maybe that attitude has been increasing since Trump made it OK to doubt all of the experts about Covid-19.

In your case, have you tried using an analogy? It's not like leaving the TV on all day, it's like leaving a book open.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

People think everything works (or should work) the way "common sense" tells them it should. They don't consider that many people spend their lives figuring out stuff like that. It's the same instinct that makes dumb people think every problem has a simple solution nobody else thought of. Maybe that attitude has been increasing since Trump made it OK to doubt all of the experts about Covid-19.

In your case, have you tried using an analogy? It's not like leaving the TV on all day, it's like leaving a book open.

Hm, I haven't tried an analogy like that. I'll try but I doubt I'll make any headway

Edit: Another question that I always want to ask but always forget. Why do old people always mention people from their youth by name, first and last? I'm usually never that specific about people if I say something and basically never say a last name. For instance I'd say "back when I was in elementary school me and my friend made this cool thing out of legos" or whatever, whereas a boomer would just say "when I was in school me and Bob Smith made this thing out of legos"

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 14, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

More like "Hey should I buckle up and wait for a month before I actually get hired, or is this going to occupy 4 months of my life and then evaporate into nothing?" Which sounds stupid but literally just happened to me, and I cannot afford to have that happen again.
Unless you have an offer in-hand, you should assume you aren't getting the job, and continue to apply at other places. Even if you called them, and they said "oh, yeah, we liked your application so much, we decided to hire you without an interview, you'll get the offer tomorrow," you should continue to apply at other places assuming you didn't get the job.

Jobs fall through all the time for all sorts of different reasons, and absolutely filter out a ton of people early in the application process. You need to have a good network, a solid resume, likely a good cover letter, and a well-prepared interview strategy, but beyond that, job searching is mostly roulette, and you are at the mercy of luck and circumstance. Most places that deicide not to interview you will never tell you that. Many places that do interview you will just never follow up, rather than sending you a rejection. It's bullshit and it sucks, but that is how it is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok why does nobody believe me when I say "don't kill your apps on your phone"? I explain in detail why you shouldn't and and yet I get the response "well I'm going to do it anyways because it saves me battery". Made even more frustrating because I'm the goto for tech questions yet this specific advice is 100% of the time ignored by several people

My phone literally says "x freed up, phone now in optimal state" when you kill all the apps. It also chirps at me when it thinks an open app is using too much juice and asks if it should be force quit. So it's absolutely not just people you know that think apps should be killed.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok why does nobody believe me when I say "don't kill your apps on your phone"? I explain in detail why you shouldn't and and yet I get the response "well I'm going to do it anyways because it saves me battery". Made even more frustrating because I'm the goto for tech questions yet this specific advice is 100% of the time ignored by several people

I mean I think the answer is more why do you care enough to let it get to you? If they want to be 'inefficient' let them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

But to continue that analogy, the downside of saving the energy it would take to put your books back on the shelf is that is that now your space is cluttered with open books that you aren't even using.

I kill apps that I don't use very often so that I have a nice short list of the few apps that I DO switch to often. I don't care that it theoretically requires ever-so-slightly more power to do it this way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You probably don't need to janitor your phone, but you definitely don't need to care if other people janitor their phones.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It depends on your operating system. I can't speak for Android, but iOS is pretty aggressive in killing apps you've moved away from; chances are, when you open up your background app display, all but the latest few apps are just screenshots from the last time they were open. There are various services that let you do periodic updates without having the whole app running, and services for restoring your app to the state it was in when killed.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Paging unused process memory to flash wastes nand write cycles :colbert:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Methanar posted:

Paging unused process memory to flash wastes nand write cycles :colbert:

It's 2021. Why is The Flash still using a pager?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I spilled some soup on my (fabric) couch. I soaked up as much as I could with towels and such, but it's in still in there.

How do I wash my couch?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I can't get ahold of a real person at the UPS store, so I'll ask here if anyone knows about this. I ordered a package that shipped from overseas into the US. The package is already close by, but when I track it it says the package needs to have duties or taxes paid before it can be delivered. However it doesn't have any link to where I can go to pay it or whatever, and trying to figure it out on the UPS website is impossible, and when I try getting into the billing center it just says it's down.

Will a driver deliver it and I pay him with my credit card somehow? Will it be delivered at a near by store where I can go pay and pick it up? Will I get an email with a link at some point?

e: I got them on the phone. They said they can hold my package at the store and I go there to pay and pick it up tomorrow.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 15, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

I spilled some soup on my (fabric) couch. I soaked up as much as I could with towels and such, but it's in still in there.

How do I wash my couch?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendations for learning to make music digitally for absolute n00bs? Books, sites, subforums of SA? Where should I barge into and demand answers?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
What do you know about making music generally?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

What do you know about making music generally?

Basically nothing, though I've created several jingles about my cats. I'm willing to start at square one. I'm very comfortable with editing software, so if there's something in that realm I could work with I think I could teach myself, even if it takes several months to a year to really get started.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I'm hoping for help with a jump off point. Like a video series or even a decent book. And naturally I'm willing to put forth money to get some basic hardware and software. I just don't want to go in blind via Google and would love some recommendations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

How do I wash my couch?

You need a wet vacuum so you can really wash it and pull out the residue.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Would you use carpet-cleaning equipment?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inceltown posted:

It's 2021. Why is The Flash still using a pager?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Christoph posted:

I'm hoping for help with a jump off point. Like a video series or even a decent book. And naturally I'm willing to put forth money to get some basic hardware and software. I just don't want to go in blind via Google and would love some recommendations.

I learned Ableton enough to help people for my job using Lynda.com. I think they have Fruity Loops and that open source option that I’m forgetting as well.

Every library system I’ve lived under has Lynda as a free service included in your membership, a couple have also had makerspace type things where you can play with some keyboards and midi board things to see how you like them as well. So give that a look before you fork out any money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Christoph posted:

Basically nothing, though I've created several jingles about my cats. I'm willing to start at square one. I'm very comfortable with editing software, so if there's something in that realm I could work with I think I could teach myself, even if it takes several months to a year to really get started.

Can you read music or play any instrument? You're going to have a hard time of it if you can't. The logical choice for this type of composition is learning to play the piano.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, some basic music lessons are going to take you a long way. Don’t need to master an instrument but having a solid understanding of the fundamentals (scales, key, meter and time signature) will help in whatever you’re trying to do.

Any instrument will do but the piano keys are a great visual aide for learning basic music theory. Plus a cheap midi keyboard will plug right in to Ableton or whatever.

Edit: sorry I don’t have a specific book to recommend but I know the Creative Convention sub forum has(had?) a thread for learning instruments so try asking there!
Definitely recommend some in person lessons at some point as well. Youtube and theory can do a lot, but they are kinda limited when it comes to stuff like posture and technique which does make a big difference depending on the instrument.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 15, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Christoph posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for learning to make music digitally for absolute n00bs? Books, sites, subforums of SA? Where should I barge into and demand answers?
Come hang with us in the Musician's Lounge.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

tuyop posted:

I learned Ableton enough to help people for my job using Lynda.com. I think they have Fruity Loops and that open source option that I’m forgetting as well.

Every library system I’ve lived under has Lynda as a free service included in your membership, a couple have also had makerspace type things where you can play with some keyboards and midi board things to see how you like them as well. So give that a look before you fork out any money.

Thank you, I'll look into that!

Motronic posted:

Can you read music or play any instrument? You're going to have a hard time of it if you can't. The logical choice for this type of composition is learning to play the piano.

I've made abortive attempts at piano... I'll definitely try to look seriously into learning more (I already planned on buying a keyboard), though at first I'm going to attempt to put my jingles into digital audio and hopefully learn enough to orient myself in the process.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Come hang with us in the Musician's Lounge.

Thanks! That's the one I was looking for and I scrolled right by it, jeez :cripes:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Christoph posted:

I've made abortive attempts at piano... I'll definitely try to look seriously into learning more (I already planned on buying a keyboard), though at first I'm going to attempt to put my jingles into digital audio and hopefully learn enough to orient myself in the process.

You don't even need to be able to play real well. Just with one hand and knowing the notes, because this is the common/logical input device for what you seem to be trying to do, and also the easiest instrument for visualizing chords and transposing. I'm an awful piano player but it's the very first thing I go to if I'm trying to do any sort of arranging/transposing/figuring things out.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Christoph posted:

I'm going to attempt to put my jingles into digital audio and hopefully learn enough to orient myself in the process.

I'm visualizing Charlie Harper stubbornly refusing to get a computer.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Re: couch cleaning chat -- something like this is ideal:

https://www.bissell.com/little-green-portable-carpet-cleaner-1400B.html

The big upright ones often come with an upholstery attachment too; usually you can rent them somewhere.

Depending on your couch, you might be able to remove the cushion cover (like a big pillowcase) and wash it but I'd be VERY careful.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Thanks folks.

Come to think of it, I think I've got some carpet cleaning foam. I wonder if that's worth trying...

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Thanks folks.

Come to think of it, I think I've got some carpet cleaning foam. I wonder if that's worth trying...

1. test a non-visible spot first, but it might work - it does wonders on cat puke on carpets so ...
2. Your sofa is going to smell faintly of soup forever (even if it actually doesn't).
3. If possible, call the place where you got your sofa and ask what they recommend.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I've received a link to join a whatsapp group.

When I click on it it first goes through a vkontakte site, then it tells me to download whatsapp bc I dont have it.

I most definitely have it.

Then I realized the URL starts witg chat.whatsapp.com which seems to me like someone is trying to pull a "s0methingawful.com" maneuver.

How can I check if it's legit/make it work?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://chat.whatsapp.com is the correct, legit domain.

Can you just put in the invite code or whatever into your app manually?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Can one? I cant find how in my app :(

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's possible that they're putting a second domain behind the text you're seeing. I'm not sure the name for this but I can post this link that looks like CNN but if you click it you go to FOX News: https://edition.cnn.com/

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
a buddy of mine got a cryptic note in his mailbox (envelope with this inside, and a small cross necklace)

anyone recognize this script?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Gunshow Poophole posted:

a buddy of mine got a cryptic note in his mailbox (envelope with this inside, and a small cross necklace)

I’m probably wrong, but that reminds me a lot of the writing I saw in Thailand. Could it be Thai?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are a great number of Brahmic scripts, and I wouldn’t know where to begin distinguishing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Looks like Hebrew cursive.