Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Holy loving poo poo losses audio on the Solos from an Air is a loving game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Macos is like using a right hand drive car, but I think I will eventually be able to enjoy it and also be able to ls the files from a directory (don't you dare suggest how to do it I need to do it by myself) but holy poo poo I have never heard the Beatles like this before.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Congrats. Going for a Mac a handful of years ago after many years of being a PC person was actually not that painful and is now a joyful experience. You’ll get your command line fu soon enough.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 13, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
man pages are your friend :eng101:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

limaCAT posted:

Macos is like using a right hand drive car, but I think I will eventually be able to enjoy it and also be able to ls the files from a directory (don't you dare suggest how to do it I need to do it by myself) but holy poo poo I have never heard the Beatles like this before.

i mean i don't want to, er, give it away, but you just used it in your post

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

mediaphage posted:

i mean i don't want to, er, give it away, but you just used it in your post

No, what I actually meant is the various folders (like Downloads) that are protected by default, but I think I will just let terminal not have full disk access, for now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You can't ls Downloads by default?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Data Graham posted:

You can't ls Downloads by default?

Nope, stackoverflow says that it's protected by the new privacy system, and I probably cowfingered/skipped the security prompt before.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

limaCAT posted:

Nope, stackoverflow says that it's protected by the new privacy system, and I probably cowfingered/skipped the security prompt before.

Try this: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/control-access-to-files-and-folders-on-mac-mchld5a35146/mac

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

limaCAT posted:

It is just this

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Or just grant terminal Full Disk Access.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There isn't really any need to

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Dear diary, today I found myself wishing the gestures over the magic mouse behaved like a trackpad because I didn't want to move the hand to move the mouse. :gonk:

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

So, is anyone here using an MX mouse with M1 devices? This poo poo is driving me loving nuts.

I have two MX mice, a Master 3 for my M1 mini and an Anywhere 3 for my M1 Air. Both are hosed up, likely because of Logi Options being a huge POS and/or because it's going through Rosetta since despite selling "for macs" products, Logi didn't bother making Options AS native.

On my Master, the logi daemon may crash mid scroll, so since I reverse scrolling because natural scrolling sucks rear end, my scroll may switch direction *while* scrolling which is so loving grating. The gesture button "click", that I use to invoke Mission Control, will stop working until the Logi Daemon crashes and then it works again.

On the anywhere, no setting survive sleep. Gotta go kill the Logi Daemon pid a couple time like a loving lawnmower and eventually functionality will come back.

Now, I'm sure this is because of Rosetta, since I never had any of those issues on Intel macs, but what the gently caress. Do you guys have any workarounds? Is anyone aware of plans for Logitech to make AS native software? When these mice work they rule. Right now they just want me to throw all this poo poo through the window, buy a cabin in the woods and live off the earth.

(Sorry for the language, kinda half rant too, this is pissing me off)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple just pushed Monterey beta 3 out the door, it's build 21A5284e.

Full InstallAssistant package available at the usual source..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gros Tarla posted:

So, is anyone here using an MX mouse with M1 devices? This poo poo is driving me loving nuts.

I have two MX mice, a Master 3 for my M1 mini and an Anywhere 3 for my M1 Air. Both are hosed up, likely because of Logi Options being a huge POS and/or because it's going through Rosetta since despite selling "for macs" products, Logi didn't bother making Options AS native.

On my Master, the logi daemon may crash mid scroll, so since I reverse scrolling because natural scrolling sucks rear end, my scroll may switch direction *while* scrolling which is so loving grating. The gesture button "click", that I use to invoke Mission Control, will stop working until the Logi Daemon crashes and then it works again.

On the anywhere, no setting survive sleep. Gotta go kill the Logi Daemon pid a couple time like a loving lawnmower and eventually functionality will come back.

Now, I'm sure this is because of Rosetta, since I never had any of those issues on Intel macs, but what the gently caress. Do you guys have any workarounds? Is anyone aware of plans for Logitech to make AS native software? When these mice work they rule. Right now they just want me to throw all this poo poo through the window, buy a cabin in the woods and live off the earth.

(Sorry for the language, kinda half rant too, this is pissing me off)

Do you absolutely need to use the extra Logi buttons and go through their app? I'm wondering if the mouse would work better if you simply had it talk to the Mac as a more generic mouse, ie. delete Logi Options.

You might lose some of the MX's special functionality (you might not. I've gotten the gesture/extra buttons working and mappable on my M720 with an ipad, but it's not perfect).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 14, 2021

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do you absolutely need to use the extra Logi buttons and go through their app? I'm wondering if the mouse would work better if you simply had it talk to the Mac as a more generic mouse, ie. delete Logi Options.

You might lose some of the MX's special functionality (you might not. I've gotten the gesture/extra buttons working and mappable on my M720 with an ipad, but it's not perfect).

Unfortunately, yeah. My workflow heavily relies on the gesture feature, which I don't think would be mappable without Logi, although that's something I haven't looked into and is worth a shot.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gros Tarla posted:

Unfortunately, yeah. My workflow heavily relies on the gesture feature, which I don't think would be mappable without Logi, although that's something I haven't looked into and is worth a shot.

it sucks, but you could always map those gestures onto some other kind of device (an extra mouse or trackpad, a USB/bluetooth button or button pad/macro pad, extra numpad, etc).

WRT getting the computer to recognize the gesture button(s) generically, this is pretty hacky and definitely a long shot-- but the way I got it working on my iPad was via Accessibility Options. It may be that MacOS' Mouse Settings Panel doesn't have a way for you to see/access/engage with Buttons 3, 4, 5, etc, but the computer might see them as USB/bluetooth-enabled inputs in the same manner that it would see one of the aforementioned button/macro pads.

Like, if you go into Accessibility and try mapping poo poo to those buttons it might work. Worth a shot :shrug:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarioGuzman/status/1415374667817242633?s=20

I think they made it worse but whatever, it is what it is.

Edit: You can actually revert back to the old newer style. Under view just uncheck "Show Separate Tab Bar".

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 14, 2021

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Firefox square tabs 4 lyfe

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

limaCAT posted:

Dear diary, today I found myself wishing the gestures over the magic mouse behaved like a trackpad because I didn't want to move the hand to move the mouse. :gonk:
I think I used my old one like that with BetterTouchTool, but like 3 finger gestures instead of 4 cause the space.

Gros Tarla posted:

Maybe BTT would work for that? Been so long since I used a Logitech mouse that I don’t remember myself. But if it works, BTT is stupidly excessively programmable so could work for you.

Skeezy posted:

Edit: You can actually revert back to the old newer style. Under view just uncheck "Show Separate Tab Bar".
I was semi ok with the new style (definitely needs improvements though) but either way they need some more drat active/background tab contrast at least. And is the site coloring optional? That’s (one of) the other big annoyance I had.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Skeezy posted:

I guess it's more of a software thing but since we're on the topic of Safari, is there any changes for extensions on Safari on Mac? Tried googling that post WWDC but all I'm getting are results about Safari on iOS now supporting extensions so maybe I missed it.

Edit:

japtor posted:

I think I used my old one like that with BetterTouchTool, but like 3 finger gestures instead of 4 cause the space.

Maybe BTT would work for that? Been so long since I used a Logitech mouse that I don’t remember myself. But if it works, BTT is stupidly excessively programmable so could work for you.

Leveraging BTT and getting rid of Logi sounds like a great idea. I'ma give it a shot, thanks!

Gros Tarla fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 14, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

japtor posted:

I was semi ok with the new style (definitely needs improvements though) but either way they need some more drat active/background tab contrast at least. And is the site coloring optional? That’s (one of) the other big annoyance I had.

You can disable the site coloring. It’s under Safari Preferences > Advanced > Accessibility > Uncheck “Show color in tab bar”

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Gros Tarla posted:

Leveraging BTT and getting rid of Logi sounds like a great idea. I'ma give it a shot, thanks!

When you've given this a go post your results, I love my MX 3 and I'm looking to get an M1 soon

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Jamus posted:

When you've given this a go post your results, I love my MX 3 and I'm looking to get an M1 soon

Played with it a bit and so far it doesn't look like BTT recognizes the gesture button as an input, so there's seemingly no way to use it as a trigger, let alone a modifier before a mouse movement. For me, that is truly the killer feature of this mouse, as I use it to switch desktop with just a flick of the mouse sideways and other shortcuts up/down. So yeah, looks like the whole gesture thing depends entirely on the Logi daemon running to work.

:(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Gros Tarla posted:

Played with it a bit and so far it doesn't look like BTT recognizes the gesture button as an input, so there's seemingly no way to use it as a trigger, let alone a modifier before a mouse movement. For me, that is truly the killer feature of this mouse, as I use it to switch desktop with just a flick of the mouse sideways and other shortcuts up/down. So yeah, looks like the whole gesture thing depends entirely on the Logi daemon running to work.

:(
Dang, weird. Looking at the version history there was even a specific thing for it a while back (Feb '20):

quote:

The "Works on keyboards of the same type" option for keyboard shortcuts has been improved and should now really be able to differentiate between keyboards. You might need to re-record your shortcuts though. This also works for the gesture button on the Logitech MX Master 3.
And found this thread where the dev mentions having that mouse and making the fix for it:
https://community.folivora.ai/t/keyboard-mouse-device-specific-shortcuts/13760/3

Maybe it's different for different MX mice (if you have a different one)?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

japtor posted:

Dang, weird. Looking at the version history there was even a specific thing for it a while back (Feb '20):

And found this thread where the dev mentions having that mouse and making the fix for it:
https://community.folivora.ai/t/keyboard-mouse-device-specific-shortcuts/13760/3

Maybe it's different for different MX mice (if you have a different one)?

Hah!

I was trying to setup the shortcut as a "normal mouse" within BTT, which, ya know, made sense at the time. Setting up a keyboard shortcut does allow to record the mouse gesture button.

Nice find!

It works on the MX Master 3. I'll try it with my MX Anywhere later today. That one worries me though because it doesn't have an explicit gesture button, I basically assign the button under the scroll wheel as the gesture button in Logi, so I worry this working will depend on Logi working for that button assignment but we'll see!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gros Tarla posted:

Hah!

I was trying to setup the shortcut as a "normal mouse" within BTT, which, ya know, made sense at the time. Setting up a keyboard shortcut does allow to record the mouse gesture button.

Nice find!

It works on the MX Master 3. I'll try it with my MX Anywhere later today. That one worries me though because it doesn't have an explicit gesture button, I basically assign the button under the scroll wheel as the gesture button in Logi, so I worry this working will depend on Logi working for that button assignment but we'll see!

Ooo let us know, I’d love to move away from logi options since I haven’t needed Flow for awhile.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

tuyop posted:

Ooo let us know, I’d love to move away from logi options since I haven’t needed Flow for awhile.

Alright so, it works with the MX master 3. In my case, at least, I can get rid of Logi on that computer and use BTT and setup all my gestures there.

The MX Anywhere 3, however, won't work. Just as I suspected, the gesture button isn't the default behaviour for the button under the scroll wheel, which means without Options to set it as such, BTT won't detect the same input as with the Master. Since there isn't a button defined as the gesture button on the Anywhere by default, it doesn't seem like BTT will be able to replace Logi.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why are thunderbolt docks so expensive? The idea of paying $200 just to connect cables seems ridiculous.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thunderbolt cables are actually incredibly complex and have controllers in them to negotiate things like speed, link states and power. Conversely, the docks to manage this stuff are also pretty complex as well. They're basically mini computers.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Speaking of - I need a new dock; I have an Elgato that’s decent but OOS everywhere now

Need something for an M1 for displays, power, and USB. Nothing fancy otherwise

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Walked posted:

Speaking of - I need a new dock; I have an Elgato that’s decent but OOS everywhere now

Displays? M1 devices only support one external display at a time. Besides that, I’m very happy with the Anker 11-in-1 USB-C Dock, but that might already be a bit overkill for most purposes.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

Displays? M1 devices only support one external display at a time. Besides that, I’m very happy with the Anker 11-in-1 USB-C Dock, but that might already be a bit overkill for most purposes.

Just a typo - already have an M1 and very familiar.

I’ll check out the Anker thanks!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Walked posted:

I’m using the elgato TB3 dock I got when they first came out with my M1 MBA. It seems fine so if you’ve got one of those I don’t really see any need to replace it.

The M1s in general seem to be compatible with every USB-C/TB3 dock I’ve run across so far with the caveat that you only get one display due to limitations of the M1 hardware itself.

Docks that use multi-stream transport seem to be able to duplicate the display signal to multiple screens (largely because macOS doesn’t speak MST) but I’d imagine that’s fairly niche as most people are expecting different outputs on each screen.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The issue is I need two docks - I work multiple consulting roles and keep my personal hooked up at one desk and then need another for swapping out contract-specific systems (it’s dumb but at a certain point $200 for convenience is worth it)

Edit: and to clarify for asking one of the docks I’ve tried didn’t play well with the M1 but was fine with intel Macs - which is why I’m asking for a rec

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I got this Anker a couple months ago and so far it's working without issue. I do have the charging plugged in separately but the dock is driving a 4k display, a magnetic iPhone charger and a couple small USB devices without any problem so far.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Anyone got a 4K 27” monitor hooked up to their Mac and running at Retina scaling? That is, a 3840x2160 monitor running at 1920x1080?

I’d love to see a photo of the monitor when doing standard stuff like writing a document, browsing the web etc., ideally with some close-ups of the pixels.

True retina (220dpi) needs a 5K monitor at 27”, and those don’t really exist in the consumer market, so I’m curious what my experience would be like with a 4K instead.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If nobody else is willing to do so with a 4K monitor, I could do it later today with a 1440p monitor, if that would help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

jokes posted:

If nobody else is willing to do so with a 4K monitor, I could do it later today with a 1440p monitor, if that would help?

Thanks for the offer but 1440p is what I’ve got right now.