Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

The f800 is just as maddeningly German as the bigger bikes but with none of the benefits in exchange, it just looks like a basic parallame twin. Just get a versys or something instead.

The big GS definitely has aspects that make it worthwhile for some people. It's never been a matrix of qualities that interest me at all or remotely make up for the truckload of bullshit imo, but if I had a whole lot more money, never worked on my own bike and did a whole lot of touring that might not be the case.

my dad bought one and I made fun of him for it but it is a very very good bike (he fits all those criteria lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I do basic work on my own bikes and haven't hated my GS yet. If/when it grenades the rear end then sure.

Finger Prince, when I bought my GS I had put less than 20 miles on one, and did the fly and ride thing you're doing to bring it home. The very first impression I had about it was "this thing handles way better than it has any right to." I have come to mildly dislike the opposed twin, both its agricultural nature and the fact that the heads keep me from stretching my legs easily, but the GS honestly makes for a really good touring platform and the non-Adventure version doesn't feel huge. The steering's light, it transitions side to side really easily, and holds lines well. There are a lot of gadgets if you're into that sort of thing, but they're mostly useful and easy to find and operate. If you're not, you can just ignore them.

I haven't had buyer's remorse and I don't have a litany of complaints about the bike. The motor is meh, you can't adjust the windscreen height when you're moving at speed, and the stock Michelins howl on the highway. Only major differences between my GS and the newer ones are the new bikes have more displacement, shift cam (VTEC YO), and a full LCD dash.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thanks for the advice, I put myself down for a big GS. I will report back on whether I have a sudden propensity for accountancy or dentistry.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I saw a new big gs street parked the other day and it's... surprisingly small?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

I saw a new big gs street parked the other day and it's... surprisingly small?

yeah if you’re comparing it to a car lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

yeah if you’re comparing it to a car lol

Lmao

They're not cruiser huge at least.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
So, I'm looking at secondhand BMW K1200S from 2005. It's got 67000 kilometers, and it comes with a warranty (and ABS, ESA and heated grips). It's being sold by an official BMW dealer. They're asking €4500, which doesn't seem a bad price when I compare it to other listings. I asked if the full service history was available, what the warranty period was and if the service happened at the dealer. Also, from what I've found online, these bikes don't have any real problems popping up before a 100K at least.

Does this seem like a good/fair deal? I like the idea of buying it from a dealer rather than a person, especially if they know the history of the bike.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Go for it, if it fucks up, they'll fix it for free.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sixth and maimed posted:

So, I'm looking at secondhand BMW K1200S from 2005. It's got 67000 kilometers, and it comes with a warranty (and ABS, ESA and heated grips). It's being sold by an official BMW dealer. They're asking €4500, which doesn't seem a bad price when I compare it to other listings. I asked if the full service history was available, what the warranty period was and if the service happened at the dealer. Also, from what I've found online, these bikes don't have any real problems popping up before a 100K at least.

Does this seem like a good/fair deal? I like the idea of buying it from a dealer rather than a person, especially if they know the history of the bike.

Just budget an extra €500-1000 for an ABS pump replacement just in case.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
I've been repairing my '72 CL350 and finding all the small hacky fixes (missing bolt on the sissy bar, fuses wrapped in electrical tape, etc etc), and my wife's been asking me if I want something a bit more reliable while keeping the CL350 as a "tinker and fix" rig. Not getting rid of it, I still love it to death and it's not going away.

I'm a fan of the scrambler styling - what's the deal on Triumph's Street Scramblers used? Any years/quirks worth avoiding?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bought the bike. Dealer's giving a year of warranty, so if anything breaks I'm covered.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice!

Post some pictures of it!

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I posted this in the newbie thread too but, I'm looking at a 2002 Harley Sportster 1200 with a handful of upgrades for $4000. Good or bad?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I posted this in the newbie thread too but, I'm looking at a 2002 Harley Sportster 1200 with a handful of upgrades for $4000. Good or bad?
It's a nonsense question because the answer would depend on factors you're not providing.

Like, what color is it? Do people question your sexuality often?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Bad for all the reasons Slavvy and the others posted in the other thread. Don't do it.

Or do, but also get a GoPro for the inevitable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ugghhhhhh I wish I had a teleporter or something. Looking at Royal Enfields for sale in India and you can get a Bullet 350 in great condition for under 1000 bucks. I rode one a few years ago on the dirt roads in the Himalayan foothills and it was absolutely charming.

If only it wouldn't cost like three times the purchase price to bring across the sea

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always maintained that enfields are excellent in many ways, none of which matter to people who can post on the internet. Except for the hipster cred I suppose.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I rode one a few years ago on the dirt roads in the Himalayan foothills and it was absolutely charming.

That sounds awesome, where did you go? When I used to hike all the time and was doing off-trail adventure hikes and things like that my wife and I had a brief "we should climb Everest" phase. Thankfully the more I read about it / watched documentaries it became apparent that most people get so focused on accomplishing their goal that they lose all sense of humanity and I lost interest. It helped I also couldn't afford it at the time, although it's probably even more obscenely expensive now. I thought a nice compromise would be to just go check out base camp, but I've still never been anywhere in that region. I could definitely see riding around dirt roads with awesome scenery.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My buddy is trying to convince me of doing one of the Himalayan tours where you show up and ride Enfields. Part of me feels like I would rather have a better bike but it also seems like it would be more of an adventure on a 500cc thumper with 40s technology rolling through the highest range in the world.

Also have never been to that region so it would be completely new part of the world for me and super awesome.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Ugghhhhhh I wish I had a teleporter or something. Looking at Royal Enfields for sale in India and you can get a Bullet 350 in great condition for under 1000 bucks. I rode one a few years ago on the dirt roads in the Himalayan foothills and it was absolutely charming.

If only it wouldn't cost like three times the purchase price to bring across the sea
Ride it home, really your saving money by not having to go on holiday.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A friend of mine just rode round the world on an Enfield. It took him a lot longer than expected due to the plague when he got stuck in Peru.

https://motorbikewriter.com/around-the-world-on-a-secondhand-himalayan/

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

A friend of mine just rode round the world on an Enfield. It took him a lot longer than expected due to the plague when he got stuck in Peru.

https://motorbikewriter.com/around-the-world-on-a-secondhand-himalayan/

This is wonderful

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
One of my main goals with picking up motorcycling is to develop enough skill and experience to take a long-distance trip.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

T Zero posted:

One of my main goals with picking up motorcycling is to develop enough skill and experience to take a long-distance trip.

Some guy with 0 hours on a motorcycle bought a crf250l and drove it around the world. You can probably do it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The main skills involved in long distance motorcycling are being light on the handgrips and having a strong rear end.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Nice!

Post some pictures of it!

Picked up the bike today, put the first 60k on it. Next to the year dealer warranty, I have a year European road assistance from BMW and an extra year after that if I do a maintance with the dealer. Also, a washing glove. Not a bad deal for a 16 year old bike! Also, the straps for the tank bag were still on the bike and the dealer's going to ask the PO if she still wants it or I can have it. :D

The bike rides really good! I've never had one with this many features on it (ABS, ESA, power brakes, etc.) or this kinda power. But I'm taking things slow and easy.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Some designer: I bet a can make a black and yellow bike that doesn't look like a bee if I intentionally make it look like a yellow jacket

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The main skills involved in long distance motorcycling are being light on the handgrips and having a strong rear end.

Also the patience to ride tens of thousands of miles so slowly you're never at risk of crashing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sixth and maimed posted:

Picked up the bike today, put the first 60k on it. Next to the year dealer warranty, I have a year European road assistance from BMW and an extra year after that if I do a maintance with the dealer. Also, a washing glove. Not a bad deal for a 16 year old bike! Also, the straps for the tank bag were still on the bike and the dealer's going to ask the PO if she still wants it or I can have it. :D

The bike rides really good! I've never had one with this many features on it (ABS, ESA, power brakes, etc.) or this kinda power. But I'm taking things slow and easy.

Those yellow wheels are :discourse:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

sixth and maimed posted:

The wheels are dope. The rest of the bikes is ugly like all BMWs (I am a former owner myself). Kinda surprised at the single sided swing arm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The naked k1300 has always been one of my faves cause it looks like the product of a manufacturing AI gone insane

Alternatively, it's what happens when a German engineer takes LSD.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The K1300 has always been a favorite of mine too, wonky headlight and all. I never realized it had a telelever front end though; thought there were conventional forks hiding behind those giant plastic guards, but you can clearly see a shock up front in that picture.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

sixth and maimed posted:

That's giving me major Tourist Trophy flashbacks. :five:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sixth and maimed posted:

You'd better have a matching yellow helmet! If not, get one!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jazzzzz posted:

The K1300 has always been a favorite of mine too, wonky headlight and all. I never realized it had a telelever front end though; thought there were conventional forks hiding behind those giant plastic guards, but you can clearly see a shock up front in that picture.
I think it's actually a duolever, which is sort of a parallelogram thing which is even less like telescopic forks than the telelever is. It feels like poo poo when pushing it around and at low speed but feels great when cruising.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Hey all,

I currently have a 2018 Husky 701 SM. I LOVE the bike for small, twisty roads with elevation changes. Even though I've had the slave replaced TWICE under warranty.

However, I was just home in BC (Canada) with it for vacation, and while it will happily go on the highway for hours at a time, I'm kind of thinking I'd like to get a cushy but capable second bike to soak up highway KMs, do overnight tours, etc.

I've always liked the practicality of adventure bikes, even if they get ragged on a lot for being pavement/grocery/Starbucks queens.

My leanings have always been to the BMW F800GS (and I test rode a second hand first-gen while on vacation). Riding position was comfortable, but even with the 'tall' seat, I found that my knees were 'up' more than I thought they'd be (I'm 6'1", ~250lbs, but will be working on the weight thing). I know the legroom issue would easily be fixed with a taller seat and lower pegs.

Because of what these bikes get used for, the KMs on them are much higher than I'm used to seeing on bikes (one F800GS I didn't get a chance to look at had 230,000kms on it!).

Reading reviews into comparable bikes, the F800 and Tiger 800 don't seem to be much different.

Of course, there are V Stroms and to a lesser extent DR 650s and KLRs - I say lesser extent because they're older, bought-and-paid-for designs that paved the way for modern adventure bikes. To me, they're big heavy duty dirtbikes that are still sold largely because they're getting grandfathered through emissions requirements, and are pretty cheap.

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked.

Are there other bikes I should be looking at/ considering? Pros/cons?

This seemed like the most appropriate thread, but if not let me know.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'd be looking at a tenere 700 if you are gonna actually try to ride it offroad

also, atleast for the fe501, they say to just skip the OEM slave and get a rekluse slave to solve that issue

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Captain McAllister posted:

Hey all,

I currently have a 2018 Husky 701 SM. I LOVE the bike for small, twisty roads with elevation changes. Even though I've had the slave replaced TWICE under warranty.

However, I was just home in BC (Canada) with it for vacation, and while it will happily go on the highway for hours at a time, I'm kind of thinking I'd like to get a cushy but capable second bike to soak up highway KMs, do overnight tours, etc.

I've always liked the practicality of adventure bikes, even if they get ragged on a lot for being pavement/grocery/Starbucks queens.

My leanings have always been to the BMW F800GS (and I test rode a second hand first-gen while on vacation). Riding position was comfortable, but even with the 'tall' seat, I found that my knees were 'up' more than I thought they'd be (I'm 6'1", ~250lbs, but will be working on the weight thing). I know the legroom issue would easily be fixed with a taller seat and lower pegs.

Because of what these bikes get used for, the KMs on them are much higher than I'm used to seeing on bikes (one F800GS I didn't get a chance to look at had 230,000kms on it!).

Reading reviews into comparable bikes, the F800 and Tiger 800 don't seem to be much different.

Of course, there are V Stroms and to a lesser extent DR 650s and KLRs - I say lesser extent because they're older, bought-and-paid-for designs that paved the way for modern adventure bikes. To me, they're big heavy duty dirtbikes that are still sold largely because they're getting grandfathered through emissions requirements, and are pretty cheap.

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked.

Are there other bikes I should be looking at/ considering? Pros/cons?

This seemed like the most appropriate thread, but if not let me know.

If you're considering an 800GS, test ride a 1200GS and realize why everyone just gets a 1200GS.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Since buying my Tiger 955i, I’ve kept an eye on a couple Tiger Facebook groups and if anything, I can tell you with some confidence to stay the hell away from modern Tigers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

i'd be looking at a tenere 700 if you are gonna actually try to ride it offroad

also, atleast for the fe501, they say to just skip the OEM slave and get a rekluse slave to solve that issue

this. or the KTM 890, but just know you're a beta tester for a brand newish engine

and yeah the magura slave can be uhh problematic. rekluse makes one as mentioned, but oberon does as well. sigutech too maybe? might be LC8 only