Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

feedmyleg posted:

I just finished The Ten-Cent Plague about the rise and fall of horror comics in the 40s and 50s and loved it. I also loved Shock Value about the rise of a new generation of horror filmmakers in 60s and 70s New Hollywood and how they pushed horror to new levels. I also watched a documentary about the censorship of DTV horror in Britain in the 80s called Video Nasties.

I might be a bit burnt out on horror history (might!) but I really enjoy that intersection between history and pop culture, getting really in depth with the figures and politics behind the scenes. I'm big on movies so that seems like an obvious area, though I'm not really a music guy so I'm not particularly interested in anything in that arena. But is there anything else that pops to mind that might tap that same itch?

It doesn't even have to be anything particularly nerdy. I have Seduction: Sex, Lies, and Stardom in Howard Hughes' Hollywood that I might jump into, but wanted to see if there's anything else that someone might recommend. Open to tangentially-related suggestions, too!

It's about books not movies but Grady Hendrix (a horror author himself) has a nonfiction called Paperbacks from Hell about cheap 80s horror books. I haven't read it but I've heard good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge

Oh cool, this even came up in my googling but I definitely confused it and Caves of Steel. And it has a sequel (that I already read as well :smith:), thanks!

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Looking to understand Spinoza a bit more if anyone has any good books? Seems like an interesting character.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I'm a sucker for the 'alternate universe versions of a character interact' trope. Stuff like Orphan Black or Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Looking for more books like this.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Piers Anthony - Split Infinity series (don't read this)

Depending on how strict you want to be with your topic, two short stories by Robert Heinlein -- By His Bootstraps and All You Zombies. They both kind of have the same conceit so reading one will spoil the other. I'd go with All You Zombies as it's this specific version of your topic pushed to its most extreme.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 20, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any good books about farm life with a strong narrative thread? Mostly I want to be transported for a little while to a world where someone can improve their life just by working hard or being clever.

bowser posted:

I'm a sucker for the 'alternate universe versions of a character interact' trope. Stuff like Orphan Black or Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Looking for more books like this.

It's not the central story element, but it is a recurring one in the Wheel of Time series. It's a long series, and after the second book, never really changes trajectory, so feel free to hop off the ride whenever. Uh, the alternate versions of a character elements get more prominent after the first book. It's probably not what you're looking for, but it's the closest I can think of.

Washington's Dirigible by John Barnes has the protagonist and antagonist be alternate reality versions of the same person. It's the second book in a series, and I don't remember the same alternate versions concept being reused in any of the other books.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

Any good books about farm life with a strong narrative thread? Mostly I want to be transported for a little while to a world where someone can improve their life just by working hard or being clever.

Not exactly but have you read Pillars of the Earth?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LLSix posted:

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

LLSix posted:

It's not farming but I think the vibe is right -- All Creatures Great and Small (and sequels of diminishing quality, quit whenever you've got your fill)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

LLSix posted:

Knut Hamsun’s Growth of the Soil is what you’re looking for

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

LLSix posted:

If you haven't read them then the Little House books by Laura Inagalls-Wilder are good for this.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've been watching the show the Man in the High Castle and I'd be interested in reading some good non-fiction about the real underground resistance during WW2, any good recs?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm in a real Blade Runner headspace and would love some good future detective fiction, ideally something that has an audio book so I can listen while I work.

In the cyberpunk realm I've read Altered Carbon, Tomorrow and Tomorrow, Snow Crash, and Neuromancer but I'm not necessarily looking for something along those lines. I'm looking for noir vibes. I'm thinking slightly more akin to pulp detective fiction of the 60s than other PKD works, though I did enjoy Electric Sheep. But really I just want a pulpy noir Blade Runner ripoff with all the cliche detective genre trappings, and I assume there's a decent number of those out there.

e: also ordered a few of those non-fiction recommendations, so appreciate all those!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 23, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

feedmyleg posted:

I'm in a real Blade Runner headspace and would love some good future detective fiction, ideally something that has an audio book so I can listen while I work.

In the cyberpunk realm I've read Altered Carbon, Tomorrow and Tomorrow, Snow Crash, and Neuromancer but I'm not necessarily looking for something along those lines. I'm looking for noir vibes. I'm thinking slightly more akin to pulp detective fiction of the 60s than other PKD works, though I did enjoy Electric Sheep. But really I just want a pulpy noir Blade Runner ripoff with all the genre trappings, and I assume there's a decent number of those out there.

e: also ordered a few of those non-fiction recommendations, so appreciate all those!

I just started Central Station last night, not sure if this will scratch your itch or not but so far I am enjoying it very much.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It's been a while since I read it and I don't remember if it was pulpy or noir, but Idoru is a William Gibson cyberpunk detective book and I remember liking it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

In the cyberpunk realm I've read Altered Carbon, Tomorrow and Tomorrow, Snow Crash, and Neuromancer but I'm not necessarily looking for something along those lines. I'm looking for noir vibes. I'm thinking slightly more akin to pulp detective fiction of the 60s than other PKD works, though I did enjoy Electric Sheep. But really I just want a pulpy noir Blade Runner ripoff with all the cliche detective genre trappings, and I assume there's a decent number of those out there.

Quarantine by Greg Egan is a hard sci fi detective novel that explores the potential consequences of a theory of quantum mechanics. So a bit of science esoterica and some noir. It has a very disturbing depiction of like, corporate servitude as well that really stuck with me.

The resulting discussions of free will and stuff are very much in conversation with PKD.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds is one of the best science fiction noirs IMO. The main character is not a detective, but he is investigating a mystery. It’s part of the Revelation Space series, but a completely standalone story. Strong cyberpunk vibes too.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

For a noir thriller I have to suggest the new Vandermeer Hummingbird Salamander

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

My wife and I read this together a couple years ago and it's a good relaxing read.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger and it's two follow-up books are decent cyberpunk noir set in a futuristic Middle East. Also some editions have *chef's-kiss* '80s style sci-fi covers.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LLSix posted:

Any good books about farm life with a strong narrative thread?

John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

feedmyleg posted:

imo the asimov robot novels are right up this alley

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I'm looking for books told in vignette form a la Atrocity Exhibition or Terminal Park by Gary J. Shipley, just stories told in short bursts of paragraphs. Doesn't necessarily have to be in the speculative realm but that also wouldn't hurt

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slackerish posted:

I'm looking for books told in vignette form a la Atrocity Exhibition or Terminal Park by Gary J. Shipley, just stories told in short bursts of paragraphs. Doesn't necessarily have to be in the speculative realm but that also wouldn't hurt

Geoff Ryman's 253, perhaps?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Slackerish posted:

World War Z

I'm trying and failing to remember the name of an author either from Chicago or who wrote about Chicago a lot who worked in this style, though of course it's non-fiction. Active in the 60s-80s. Lots of "man on the street" interviews that were assembled to give you an overview of an issue.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

World War Z

I'm trying and failing to remember the name of an author either from Chicago or who wrote about Chicago a lot who worked in this style, though of course it's non-fiction. Active in the 60s-80s. Lots of "man on the street" interviews that were assembled to give you an overview of an issue.

Studs Turkle?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Studs Turkle?

Yes, thank you. My brain kept saying Saul Bellow and I knew that wasn't right.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know of any good nonfiction books about the Aztecs? I'm particularly interested in whether their religion/human sacrifice situation was as hosed up as what I learned in school or if that was a self serving narrative created by christian colonizers. I guess phrasing it that way makes it sound like I'm looking for a particular answer but really I'd believe either way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know of any good nonfiction books about the Aztecs? I'm particularly interested in whether their religion/human sacrifice situation was as hosed up as what I learned in school or if that was a self serving narrative created by christian colonizers. I guess phrasing it that way makes it sound like I'm looking for a particular answer but really I'd believe either way.

1491 A History of the Americas Before Columbus has at least some information to answer your question. From what I recall it's a little of column A, little of column B. After all, we prate about human sacrifice, but how many were being hanged on Tyburn Tree in England at the same exact time?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

1491 A History of the Americas Before Columbus has at least some information to answer your question. From what I recall it's a little of column A, little of column B. After all, we prate about human sacrifice, but how many were being hanged on Tyburn Tree in England at the same exact time?

I've always wondered the same about early Christian stories about practices at the Temple at Uppsala.

On topic of Aztecs: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/new-find-brings-skulls-discovered-aztec-tower-over-600-180976543/

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll second this. It would be a good place to start, it has good overviews on all the major civilizations in the Americas and a really extensive bibliography.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I keep forgetting about 1491 when I'm looking for new books to read, I'll definitely check it out.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slackerish posted:

Juan Goytisolo's Landscapes After the Battle, quite a lot of early JMG Le Clezio (I particularly like The Giants and the Book of Flights but it's all fairly similar iirc), Bilge Karasu's Night, Hob Broun's Inner Tube. Shipley's Dreams of Amputation is also really good, although i haven't read that other one so I'm not sure how similar they are.

The Moon Monster posted:

a very sick book about what the Aztecs thought and believed and other stuff like that is Inga Clendinnen's Aztecs: An Interpretation.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
So I've recently got a strong craving for something akin to the Cold War, but in spaaaaace! I want intrigue, political tension, high stakes, slow burn space opera stuff! Could be with all humans or humans and other species. I figure there's some sci Fi military stuff that might be fun but I've not dipped in. Help me, goons Kenobi, you're my, uh, first hope.

I have read and loved The Expanse, Hyperion Cantos, Wayfarers series, as well as A Memory Called Empire (still gotta read book 2 tho).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

External Organs posted:

So I've recently got a strong craving for something akin to the Cold War, but in spaaaaace! I want intrigue, political tension, high stakes, slow burn space opera stuff! Could be with all humans or humans and other species. I figure there's some sci Fi military stuff that might be fun but I've not dipped in. Help me, goons Kenobi, you're my, uh, first hope.

I have read and loved The Expanse, Hyperion Cantos, Wayfarers series, as well as A Memory Called Empire (still gotta read book 2 tho).

John Scalzi's Interdependency series (The Collapsing Empire et al) is pretty good for political space opera.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

External Organs posted:

You might really enjoy the Ancillary _ series by Ann Leckie.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Are there any books out there where the story lasts for hundreds or thousands of years, following the evolution of a person (maybe immortal?), a tribe, a people, an empire etc....

Where it's about an ever evolving story and history.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John F Bennett posted:

Are there any books out there where the story lasts for hundreds or thousands of years, following the evolution of a person (maybe immortal?), a tribe, a people, an empire etc....

Children of Time and it's sequel by Adrian Tchaikovsky is science fiction like this, but, uh it's not "people," it's spiders.

It was a really awesome gimmick in my opinion.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I think Cloud Atlas kind of does that? I haven't read it or watched the movie but that's my general impression.

Asimov's Foundation series does this but for a civilization. Read in publication order, not the in-universe chronological order. You can optionally interleave his Robot novels for some neat Easter egg references and visiting the same place centuries later -- I'm sure there's a guide online to tell you the best order to read the whole saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men

Also Stephen Baxter's Evolution, which like the Tchaikovsky book doesn't follow actual humans