Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheLoneStar posted:

I decided to reread JoJolion since it's ending next month, and I gotta say I really miss Josuke needlessly stating the exact measurement of objects and distances.

Gappy kinda gets flattened out as the story goes on, he was really weird in a neat Araki way in the first half of Part 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
he's got the least amount of personality, next is jotaro, then giorno

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be fair if he kept measuring everything the entire time people would be complaining about how annoying it is after a while

beyond that, yeah, there's been less room for them to take a breath lately given the endless chasing and whatnot

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Relin posted:

he's got the least amount of personality, next is jotaro, then giorno

Jotaro I feel gets a lot of nice little characterization moments throughout the series, Giorno doesn't change at all from the beginning and he's really boring. Just decided I'll die on this hill

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TheLoneStar posted:

I also forgot how severely Joshu was unhinged compared to how he was in further arcs. Dude seems like he can barley function in the first few chapters.

I like how some of that comes back later during the Wonder of U fight when he goes into a fugue state and starts punching himself in the head because he can't deal with the thought of Yasuho giving handjobs with his equivalent-exchanged hand

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 16, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thinking about that time Gappy tried to look for Yasuho and checked underneath the mattress.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in general i think i like gappy more than giorno in terms of personalization, he gets some weird poo poo going on and the whole deal with him realizing he's a hosed up crossbreed of different people helps put him ahead in my mind

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Gappy does have some interesting personality quirks and characterization moments, we just haven't seen any in like three years real time

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

overmind2000 posted:

I like how some of that comes back later during the Wonder of U fight when he goes into a fugue state and starts punching himself in the head because he can't deal with the thought of Yasuho giving handjobs with his equivalent-exchanged hand
That was weird, but going batshit crazy after losing an arm is still a bit better than he was in the first few chapters. I was just bummed he never ended up doing much in the final battle. Joshu needed his big moment, but it never really came.

Johnny Joestar posted:

to be fair if he kept measuring everything the entire time people would be complaining about how annoying it is after a while
True, but if it popped up every so often it'd at least make him a bit more unique than he ended up being personality-wise.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

overmind2000 posted:

starts punching himself in the head because he can't deal with the thought of Yasuho giving handjobs with his equivalent-exchanged hand

This was probably my favorite part of the whole of Part8

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Probably pointed out before, but rereading Jojolion I've also noticed that flashback Kira's hat is in the shop alongside Johnny's and Gyro's hats, which is a nice touch to hint at it being important.

Still not totally sure what's up with the bite marks though. I mean it could be guardrail dude, but I had forgotten that Joshu also gets them on his leg after fighting Gapoy in ch1.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

Still not totally sure what's up with the bite marks though. I mean it could be guardrail dude, but I had forgotten that Joshu also gets them on his leg after fighting Gapoy in ch1.
Didn't Yasuho get them too at one point or am I remembering wrong? I swear someone got it on their ankle or something.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I've only read Jojolion once, so most of this discussion makes no loving sense for me, but this was still a great chapter! A very pure Araki horror story not bogged down with lore that changes based on the weather and what he ate that day.

somepartsareme posted:

Jotaro I feel gets a lot of nice little characterization moments throughout the series, Giorno doesn't change at all from the beginning and he's really boring. Just decided I'll die on this hill
Yeah, Jotaro only seems boring, but has a lot of little quirks, from clearly being a dumb nerd who tries to be an edgy teen to his inability to say a good catchphrase.
Before I rewatched Stardust Crusaders recently I thought people were looking for jokes where there are now, but there Araki makes jokes about patterns like that, too, so it's pretty clearly intentional.
Giorno isn't even on screen that long, so most of the discussion about him kinda boils down to speculation or the most basic poo poo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i feel like it's unfair of araki to disappoint everyone with that lackluster final act and then immediately win our hearts back with this insane guardrail bullshit

TheLoneStar posted:

That was weird, but going batshit crazy after losing an arm is still a bit better than he was in the first few chapters. I was just bummed he never ended up doing much in the final battle. Joshu needed his big moment, but it never really came.

I kinda like that he never got one, he was just a total shithead from start to finish with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. goodnight sweet prince

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno why someone would even think joshu needed a big moment when even araki made it clear that he's a weasely fuckboy who got melted into the sewer among other things

milagro man was almost too good for him. araki granted him a kindness to let him star in that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'll be honest, I don't hate, or even dislike Joshu. I find him oddly endearing, maybe because we've already had literal actual mobsters as protagonists before, so a whiny douchebag hardly seems worse.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
He has attempted sexual assault before which, y'know, a little bit more than just being a douchebag, imo.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

You mean the Paper Moon King thing? He sincerely just thought Yasuho was coming onto him because he had no idea what the hell was going on. He jumped the gun in a weird situation but he didn't go in thinking he was going to be taking advantage of Yasuho.

EDIT: I admit I'm taking Shuckmeister's theory of his character into things, though it's not canon like with the one with Jotaro. I like that theory for Jotaro though and it's what makes me connect to him a lot more.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 17, 2021

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

did not expect a joshu defender tonight, what a thrill

Yinlock posted:

i feel like it's unfair of araki to disappoint everyone with that lackluster final act and then immediately win our hearts back with this insane guardrail bullshit

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Joshuu sucks but when he's not being a sexpest his personality does make for a fun guy to watch get owned.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, reading over some of the early stuff in Jojolion, the tone of the Higashikata family is so different from how it turned out. I forgot how strongly it implies Norisuke is a villain. He's cruel to Joshu, demands Josuke obey his word as law, forbids Josuke from going upstairs and even apparently says Yasuho isn't to see Josuke anymore and threatens her family.

I'm not sure if that was done just to make it seem like this unfamiliar place is scary to Josuke, or if Norisuke / the family as a whole was intended to be villains, but then Araki reconsidered.

E: also I forgot that apparently the Higashikata logo was on the wrist of Kira's corpse. A lot of dropped / changed plot beats from the looks of it lol

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 17, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

E: also I forgot that apparently the Higashikata logo was on the wrist of Kira's corpse. A lot of dropped / changed plot beats from the looks of it lol

There's a bit of weirdness about Kira early on; remember ARE YOU A MAN OF THE SEA OR A MAN OF THE LAND?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Man, reading over some of the early stuff in Jojolion, the tone of the Higashikata family is so different from how it turned out. I forgot how strongly it implies Norisuke is a villain. He's cruel to Joshu, demands Josuke obey his word as law, forbids Josuke from going upstairs and even apparently says Yasuho isn't to see Josuke anymore and threatens her family.

I'm not sure if that was done just to make it seem like this unfamiliar place is scary to Josuke, or if Norisuke / the family as a whole was intended to be villains, but then Araki reconsidered.

is this the most forgotten part by audiences and araki

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Splitting the Wonder of U fight between two locations was a huge mistake in retrospect. As great as it was watching Joshu go insane and Jobin get owned by a can of WD-40 I think it would have been a lot better if the the fight was between Tooru and Josuke at the hospital where the action and character work could be more focused. Tooru deploys his rock insects and Josuke gets saved by Rai or Yasuho showing up and it could be a thing about Josuke surviving because he made actual friends while Tooru uses everyone and doesn't have any non-rock insects left to help him. Maybe Tooru sends Wonder of U to kill Holly so Josuke has to pursue it and that leads to Kei being part of the fight. Hell you could easily have Tooru give a speech about memories and wanting to leave your mark on the world or something that makes him similar to Josuke

gently caress I don't know, it feels like the pieces were here to make something far better than what we got

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 17, 2021

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a bit of weirdness about Kira early on; remember ARE YOU A MAN OF THE SEA OR A MAN OF THE LAND?

thats a perfectly normal thing to ask someone

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Surfer isn't a real career, Kira was right

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I totally forgot about the gag of Josuke telling Yasuho to look away while he beats the poo poo out of Ojiro.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I thought I was acclimated enough to JJBA's brand of insanity that I'd just accept everything without question, but that guardrail made me think "What the gently caress?" for the first time in a long time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm really wondering how the anime will handle some of the big plot points that got dropped or went nowhere like Norisuke being set up as an obvious villain or the mark on Kira's wrist.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think there is an argument to be made for Norisuke's behavior MOSTLY just being a protective father who's initially untrusting of the stranger he's taken in. There's a few really bizarre lines that don't fit (at one point he thinks to himself that hell make Josuke "a slave in both body and mind") but if you get rid of those then it's easy to write off the foreshadowing of him as a villain as just a misunderstanding.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would've liked to see Norisuke get an actual fight, I really wanted to see what he would do with King Nothing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly, when was the last time Josuke "took" something with his bubbles, anyways? It was the big focus of his power early on, but it gets less and less use as time goes on. Soft & Wet mostly just seems to kinda be "create bubbles that can be as hard or soft as needed" now.

Ignoring the whole "that which does not exist" thing

TheLoneStar posted:

Didn't Yasuho get them too at one point or am I remembering wrong? I swear someone got it on their ankle or something.

Yeah she has some on her ankle, she notices it when the Born This Way fight happens - it's shown in ch 13.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 17, 2021

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what's really bad is i kept thinking of poo poo where josuke could've gotten the upper hand by using his loving stand power and he just wouldn't

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What was Gappy's best fight? Did he ever go full vengeful Kira? Steal the concept of Oxygen from the air?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have really loved many moments of Jojolion, but it's by far the least cohesive series in Jojo. It's clear that Araki changed the direction he was taking the series a few times, which is fine and always happens, but I don't think he pulled it off very well in this case. The pursuit of the Rokakaka fruit has been the low point of the series story wise, but the wild poo poo that happens is super fun to read on a chapter by chapter basis. Like the tiny rock human babies being raised by wasps?? what???? I love that nonsense.

I also don't care for how brutally Gappy and friends are getting hurt in fights, only to be perfectly fine afterwards with little to no explanation. The latter half of Jojolion has almost seemed like one-shots using the same character designs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

What was Gappy's best fight? Did he ever go full vengeful Kira? Steal the concept of Oxygen from the air?

Vitamin C or I Am a Rock both of them had some incredible finishes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have really loved many moments of Jojolion, but it's by far the least cohesive series in Jojo. It's clear that Araki changed the direction he was taking the series a few times, which is fine and always happens, but I don't think he pulled it off very well in this case. The pursuit of the Rokakaka fruit has been the low point of the series story wise, but the wild poo poo that happens is super fun to read on a chapter by chapter basis. Like the tiny rock human babies being raised by wasps?? what???? I love that nonsense.

I also don't care for how brutally Gappy and friends are getting hurt in fights, only to be perfectly fine afterwards with little to no explanation. The latter half of Jojolion has almost seemed like one-shots using the same character designs.

Remember when Johnny got shot square in the forehead with a revolver and then he was fine because it was outside the 'effective range' of like 20 metres? Araki's been getting worse about his characters surviving absolutely inplausible injuries for a while

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Please don't make me think of Who Shot Johnny Joestar.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

multijoe posted:

Remember when Johnny got shot square in the forehead with a revolver and then he was fine because it was outside the 'effective range' of like 20 metres? Araki's been getting worse about his characters surviving absolutely inplausible injuries for a while
Can't forget Jotaro surviving being stabbed a dozen times with large knives, even in the head, because he conveniently hid a bunch of manga in his clothes before the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So re-reading Jojolion, something has popped out at me that may be revealing for the final chapter. These pages are from ch 22, the flashback about Johnny in Morioh:

Skipping ahead to this month's chapter, 109, there's a VERY familiar-looking tree in the area that Lucy is here to investigate:

It could be a coincidence, but Lucy knows about the corpse - it's possible she knew where Johnny hid it. She could even be the woman in that first page. The trees also look very similar - they're obviously the same type of tree, and they're both cut off at the top and stick out to the sides. There's also a second tree near the first. Since Johnny took a carriage there, it's near a roadway as well. It can also very clearly be seen that where Lucy visited is by the ocean, and the tree Johnny buried the corpse under is at the coast. I think it's very plausible the site of the Radio Gaga Incident is the same site that Johnny hid the corpse.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

To be fair, this is kind of A Thing in Jojo. Johnny got shot in the head multiple times and was fine.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 17, 2021