Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Rah! posted:

i made another post about it that i just edited:

seems pretty legit IMO

but maybe its just very detailed bullshit lol

i mean it would have his name signed, seems like it'd be fairly easy to research him and possibly someone could have even contacted him to get his background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Orbis Tertius posted:

yeah, like what I don’t get is what exactly happened to the risk/reward calculus to prompt the movement of this stuff into the realm of public relations. something changed, and it’s extremely weird, because I cannot see
what is gained by public awareness of incomprehensible entities tooling around the atmosphere, that make us look like primordial goop in comparison.

like the thought that keeps tickling my brain is “they don’t give a poo poo if Joe Rogan knows about Tic Tacs. they’re anticipating a future where having kept all the UAP poo poo secret and to themselves would be an extremely bad look”

Any existential threats we're looking at soon?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

one thing i've always wondered about lue - he spent like 20 years doing military intelligence in Guantanamo, afghanistan, etc.

how do you transition from torturing muslims to a ufo job? all I can figure is he must have been a picasso of torture and everyone was in awe of his skills

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

mycomancy posted:

I was thinking about this, and while these craft seem to be breaking physical laws, they're not breaking others that we would expect them to. Like, we've never seen them teleport, open a wormhole, or travel superluminally. Instead, we see them accelerate instantly, travel without interacting with surrounding media, and gently caress with electronics.

I'm still on team Von Neumann probes propelled by spacetime distortion. Their power source for something that small would have to be equally sci-fi to produce that type of power, maybe antimatter, magnetic monopole catalyzed decay, or yanking energy from the false vacuum.

Assuming it's disclosure, starting off with the least insane thing out there would be logical. UAPs have been reported doing the other things you mentioned, but they don't generally (iirc) match the description of the tic tacs.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Vomik posted:

one thing i've always wondered about lue - he spent like 20 years doing military intelligence in Guantanamo, afghanistan, etc.

how do you transition from torturing muslims to a ufo job? all I can figure is he must have been a picasso of torture and everyone was in awe of his skills

he was interrogating aliens too and they are pissed

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

i mean it would have his name signed, seems like it'd be fairly easy to research him and possibly someone could have even contacted him to get his background.

it's from the Australian national archives

i dont think governments tend to archive forged documents written by wackos lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Rah! posted:

it's from the Australian national archives

i dont think governments tend to archive forged documents written by wackos lol

yeah i agree - which is why i'm saying it should be fairly easy to determine he's real and probably even talk to him or at least someone who worked on it

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

He also headed (after that other stuff, presumably) the office that controls access to special access programs (top secret poo poo). He has degrees in immunology, microbiology, chemistry, and math. With that kind of education it makes sense that the military would have him doing intelligence-related things instead of a job that is mostly comprised of digging holes and marching around.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

inferis posted:

he was interrogating aliens too and they are pissed

alien: *coughs up green/grayish liquid* they coming lue, they know you, when i snuck out last night i phoned home and they know, july aitee they said, i stay alive until then lue and when they come for me, they'll come for y-

*gunshot*

: poo poo... CAROL! Call DeLonge, protocol Superstar.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

yeah i agree - which is why i'm saying it should be fairly easy to determine he's real and probably even talk to him or at least someone who worked on it

The director of the Joint Intelligence Office was named R.W. Furlonger.

i did a google search and found this link:

https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/historical-documents/volume-26/Pages/327-letter-besley-to-hay

It's from 1969 and mentions "JIO Head R.W. Furlonger"

and another link with a memorandum written by him in 1953:

https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/historical-documents/Pages/volume-24/241-Memorandum-from-Furlonger-to-Gilchrist

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rah! posted:

JO Head longer

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:hmmyes:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

'69: JO Head Longer

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Joint Intelligence Office

c'mon guys you should have named it Joint Office of Intelligence (JOI)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Rah! posted:

Joint Intelligence Office

c'mon guys you should have named it Joint Office of Intelligence (JOI)

lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vomik posted:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Orbis Tertius posted:

This is tangential, but one of the recurring details of the encounters in that Australian report is the ETs having 'beams' that disable cars, radios, tractors, poo poo - whatever. Kind of like a universal remote that works generally on 'things that do mechanical work' or 'are powered by electricity'.

Brains work via electricity too, and the "beams" can also allegedly make people paralyzed, or go to sleep, or forget things. :tinfoil:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rah! posted:

Brains work via electricity too, and the "beams" can also allegedly make people paralyzed, or go to sleep, or forget things. :tinfoil:

It is kind of them to have spent time developing a brain EMP that doesn't shut off our medulla oblongata

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Rah! posted:

I’m not sure whether I prefer the cold surreality of the Tic Tacs or the down-home weirdness of green men with fainting rays.

I read that whole thing and all the cases like “saw lights in tree. was paralyzed.” started to feel like a gag.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

aitee eve

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

bedpan posted:

the defense establishment hasn't been able to reverse engineer and reproduce the recovered material. they've been working at it for decades and are still stumped. if they let people know what they have, they will be forced to give it up, and this they don't want to do.

give me them fukkin alien alloys drat it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Orbis Tertius posted:

yeah, like what I don’t get is what exactly happened to the risk/reward calculus to prompt the movement of this stuff into the realm of public relations. something changed, and it’s extremely weird, because I cannot see
what is gained by public awareness of incomprehensible entities tooling around the atmosphere, that make us look like primordial goop in comparison.

like the thought that keeps tickling my brain is “they don’t give a poo poo if Joe Rogan knows about Tic Tacs. they’re anticipating a future where having kept all the UAP poo poo secret and to themselves would be an extremely bad look”

i mean i think the simple explanation might actually be true. nobody "decided" on disclosure as a general policy goal, it's just that the pro-disclosure lobby managed to gain the upper hand over the people who think it's satans and managed to get things released through a combination of internal finagling inside the pentagon (to, for example, get the fravor stuff designated as unclassified so that it could be legally leaked) and a legislative rider provision. and now it turns out that if you manage to breach the veil of "you look completely nuts if you talk about UFOs" as a general cultural norm, fuckin everybody agrees that they're real and something weird is happening lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

begun, the star wars have

quote:

The US wants to locate a giant new radar system in the UK to track objects in deep space.

The US Space Force is developing the global system to identify potential "targets" up to 36,000km away, in areas of deep space where a lot of military satellites are positioned.

Other sites would include Texas and Australia.

The Ministry of Defence said the new radar capability has the potential to make space "safer and more secure".

It comes amid growing concerns about congestion, competition and even an arms race in space.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57866734

Rah! has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Jul 17, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Orbis Tertius posted:

I’m not sure whether I prefer the cold surreality of the Tic Tacs or the down-home weirdness of green men with fainting rays.

I read that whole thing and all the cases like “saw lights in tree. was paralyzed.” started to feel like a gag.

tiny lue show us the paralyzation wands

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

They say the revolution won't be televised, but would the invasion?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

harry potter is an alien (bird)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

They say the revolution won't be televised, but would the invasion?

it will be telepathically broadcasted to u

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Log082 posted:

give me them fukkin alien alloys drat it

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

what if barron trump is an abductee and aliens are big tiddie anime elves

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Barron’s dna has been mixed with Anunnaki as an experiment for our eventual forced relocation to a low gravity world

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
what the hell am i even doing... i just went to the store and bought food, for money!! we're all going to have our own personal replicators by this time tomorrow!! so drat stupid im just doing the motions of apeman

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

barron show us the annunaki hypergrowth implants

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Jazerus posted:

i mean i think the simple explanation might actually be true. nobody "decided" on disclosure as a general policy goal, it's just that the pro-disclosure lobby managed to gain the upper hand over the people who think it's satans and managed to get things released through a combination of internal finagling inside the pentagon (to, for example, get the fravor stuff designated as unclassified so that it could be legally leaked) and a legislative rider provision. and now it turns out that if you manage to breach the veil of "you look completely nuts if you talk about UFOs" as a general cultural norm, fuckin everybody agrees that they're real and something weird is happening lol

yeah i mean that’s imminently plausible. it’s way more fun to see it as a singular monolith with evil intentions, though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

we should research the alloy armor first. if we jump on the weapon technology too fast they will react and bring the stronger brute types

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the aliens love bluegrass and hate jazz? yikes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

inferis posted:

alien's first words will be "I like everything but country and rap"

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i'm gonna use my replicator to create a million scratch off tickets!!! then i will have ultimate riches and power

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

inferis posted:

the reticulans are hosed up man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
gonna be nothing but poor migratory birds like district9

greys are takin er jerbs