Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Please don't make me think of Who Shot Johnny Joestar.

The direct headshot was Ringo

God Johnny got shot alot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've brought up the johnny thing and the corpse of jesus incident before, araki is 100% using it as a reason for some of the weird poo poo happening

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Remember when Joseph survived crashing his plane into a volcano that then erupted.

Remember when Avdol got domed by Hol Horse.

Remember when Okuyasu got blown the gently caress up and only survived because he got lost on his way to the afterlife.

Remember like half the bullshit Bucciarati did to himself to stop whatever bullshit was happening at any given moment during Vento Aureo.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can't believe Jesus became a pervert who hides in a guard rail slurping people up.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

multijoe posted:

Remember when Johnny got shot square in the forehead with a revolver and then he was fine because it was outside the 'effective range' of like 20 metres? Araki's been getting worse about his characters surviving absolutely inplausible injuries for a while
It's like how the later Mortal Kombat games have their kombatants survive decapitations and headshots until their health bars run out. Come to think of it, the latest game also had a main villain with time powers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't if I can handle the Speedwagon Foundation being the Joestar's greatest enemy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The pursuit of the Rokakaka fruit has been the low point of the series story wise, but the wild poo poo that happens is super fun to read on a chapter by chapter basis. Like the tiny rock human babies being raised by wasps?? what???? I love that nonsense.

Josuke and Rai chasing an old baby man through a forest fire while riding in giant bubbles as everyone dies of depressurization sickness is a sentence I'm glad I lived long enough to say

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 17, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why did that one prisoner die from looking at wonder of u if wonder of u only attacks people pursuing tooru

e: the part as a whole still fits in with the ongoing theme of "life after death but at what cost" that Araki has been messing around with since part 1 but part 8, while being one of the more explicit parts in how it relates to that theme, is definitely one of the weakest overall. I don't know how much of that could be fixed by a better translation since I remember part 5 so fondly in spite of its translation and the retranslation only helped that part. Like others have said, 8 has some of the highest highs but also the lowest of the lows.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 17, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I feel like most of the individual fights of Part 8 are actually pretty great. For the most part they all are tense, creative, and well-paced. It's just that the story linking them together is pretty messy, and the final fight really dragged - at least reading it month to month. Curious to see how it holds up on this re-read.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

okuyasu is the best jojo character ever because he was literally too stupid to die

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okuyasu is smarter than anybody gives him credit for

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

you can be smart and also very stupid

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Lmao remember when Yasuho found the basement prison room under the Higashikata estate with Kira's stuff inside?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont

this writing strategy would work if tanks didnt exist

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think the last time I actually got worried about a Jojo getting injured was when Joseph got his hand cut off. Hell, I fully believed he was going to die.

I will also agree that Jojolion is probably the most uneven part. Previous times when Araki changed his mind it wasn't really a big deal, because the story wasn't as focused, but reading Part 8 I actually paid attention to the wrongest things, as it turned out. I remembered the wrist symbol on purpose and definitely couldn't shake off the feeling that Norisuke was an rear end in a top hat, and then it just went nowhere.
The room mentioned before was an "oh poo poo" moment for me, and yep. Nothing again.

This is the part that will benefit probably the most from being animated because while you couldn't rewrite the entirety of Part 5's bogus bullshit, here you can at least delete some scenes.

That said, I don't want to be too negative, so here's a list of things I liked:
- Kira's weird psychological torture of a poor dude
- Final boss operating on Road Runner logic
- Joshu
- Gappy being a bigass dork who sleeps under mattresses
- Also he has 4 balls, let's not forget that
- Encyclopedic entries on Rock Humans
- That Dog

And there was way more! I read it a while ago, so some poo poo I forgot the names or specifics of (like that big "boyfriend" fella who broke chairs with his rear end). It's still very good and very enjoyable, and I hope there's Part 9. Although I hope it's a shorter one that will act as a send-off to Jojo. I'm guessing there will be a Part 9 because I would imagine a "Jojo Finale" would be marketed stronger than "Oh btw jojolion ends in next 2 chapters".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I think shorter parts would work well for Araki's writing style. Cut the length of parts down to 25-50% of the usual, so Araki can focus on a story and tell it. From Part 3 onward, I think the only part that didn't have clumsy "Araki forgot" moments was part 4, and it could even be argued then that Kira being the real villain was a retcon when Araki realized Akira wasn't main villain material.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Vookatos posted:

Kira's weird psychological torture of a poor dude
I mean, the guy liked to nearly drown people under his surfboard using his Stand, he kind of deserved what he got.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vookatos posted:

And there was way more! I read it a while ago, so some poo poo I forgot the names or specifics of (like that big "boyfriend" fella who broke chairs with his rear end).

I'm a little surprised you're hazy on Vitamin C because that was probably the high water mark of the entire arc for me. I encourage you to go back and reread it in one go (flashback included), especially in color.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I really forgot how annoying the elongated words can get reading a bunch of chapters back to back. Kind of grating when most of the characters taaaaalk like thiii~~~s all the time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Rereading Jojolion, ch 26 is the first appearance of a stone human - Yotsuyu, who does the weird cling wrap from the eyes thing. This is also the chapter we learn a out the Higashikata curse, which apparently the underground bunker room was used for curing?

It's established that Norisuke and Jobin both suffered from it but were cured, I forget how that happened. Was it the rokakaka? I also don't remember the basement being used to help cure the disease being explained further, maybe Kira's stuff was down here because he was helping them with it?

From a meta standpoint, I'm guessing this is when Araki decides to shift the story away from Higashikatas being villains in favor of the stone men. This is a out a quarter of the way through the story. For reference, in part 3 that's roughly the end of Wheel of Fortune, in part 4 that's Red Hot Chili Pepper, in part 5 it's the start of Purple Haze / Man in the Mirror, part 6 it's the start of Savage Garden, and part 7 it's roughly Scary Monsters. All the plots tend to be well-established at this point, or at least their major goals are. Part 4 is the outlier, as this is around the point where the plot shifts in a major way - I'm wondering if Araki did this intentionally in part 8 as a parallel, and it wasn't necessarily a "he changed his mind" situation.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's established that Norisuke and Jobin both suffered from it but were cured, I forget how that happened. Was it the rokakaka? I also don't remember the basement being used to help cure the disease being explained further, maybe Kira's stuff was down here because he was helping them with it?

They transferred it to someone else with the wall eye's power, sacrificing them. Norisuke's sacrifice was his mom, Jobin's was a kid from the neighborhood(which is why Kaato went to jail).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 20, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

'Jojomama?'
Jojomama!?

JOJO MAMA!??

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s terrific lmao

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I didn't read the post and just clicked on the picture. Got really excited for a second there.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That tweet doesn't exist.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jojomama is real in my heart

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I want that to be real only so that all my stupid "we're only reaching the halfway point" posts could be retroactively vindicated

and of course jojomama

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't know if I want a continuation of part 8 or not. I like Gappy and there's still some weirdness there that would be nice to revisit, but it might be best to start over with a new set of characters and not be chained down to part 8's mysteries.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I'm definitely ready for a new set of characters + settings. Nothing wrong with Gappy and the gang, but I'm stoked for something new.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Gappy will have to be involved in some manner. There's really no other JoJo to use in this universe, so I feel like the next JoJo will be Gappy's kid. Ten years since JoJolion began, plus an added four or five so the JoJo isn't a literal ten year-old doing a bunch of Stand battles. Wouldn't be the first time the series took place "in the future" after all.

I'm hoping for a pair of twins based off Giorno and Jolyne.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Grouchio posted:

'Jojomama?'
Jojomama!?

JOJO MAMA!??

Hell yes, this is the kind of good news I needed today.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Stalin posted:

Hell yes, this is the kind of good news I needed today.

Well, I have bad news and, uh, well that's it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

grouchio please edit your post to indicate you got got before this thread is just people getting got for two pages

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Grouchio posted:

'Jojomama?'
Jojomama!?

JOJO MAMA!??

I wish this was true

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It says a lot that people will believe "jojomama" without batting an eye

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

josugondeez, baby

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Jojomama stars a Jojo whose stand takes the form of a cello.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

multijoe posted:

Well, I have bad news and, uh, well that's it

Welp! Back to daily misery I suppose.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Patware posted:

grouchio please edit your post to indicate you got got before this thread is just people getting got for two pages

no don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it would probably help to let this current part end next month before you start blindly hoping the next one is going to be announced any moment now