Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Where is the official and scientifically recognized Gremlin Shark, and how do we make one happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

While I don't give a poo poo one way or the other about previous lives, real life stuff, and speculation about whatever the gently caress it is you guys speculate all the time I would like to read less of all that garbage. Shouldn't there be a spoilers/pastlives/etc honeypot thread for you guys to discuss all things related to the people behind the characters instead of the characters themselves?

I mean, if that sort of discussion is ok then a thread for it should be ok, no? And if it isn't then wtf is it doing here day after day?
I only skim this thread occasionally but I think it would be great if there was a vtuber thread on SA that wasn't actively cretinous about doxxing vtubers and having zero respect for the distance between character and the people inside them. Honestly one of the most embarrassing threads on the internet for vtuber discussion, and I've read a lot of them.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I only skim this thread occasionally but I think it would be great if there was a vtuber thread on SA that wasn't actively cretinous about doxxing vtubers and having zero respect for the distance between character and the people inside them. Honestly one of the most embarrassing threads on the internet for vtuber discussion, and I've read a lot of them.

Nobody is doxxing anyone, that's disingenuous as gently caress.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of Artemis, I semi-recently discovered that Artemis of the Blue has a name that is very similar to ArtemisBlue, someone who is vtuber adjacent because she mostly just does Beat Saber with an anime avatar. Makes me wonder if that's had an effect on either of them, algorithm-wise.

Actually does ArtemisBlue count as a vtuber? I don't even know.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Nobody is doxxing anyone, that's disingenuous as gently caress.
Says the guy that literally had a picture of Kiara irl in their post until someone told you to edit it out

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

"Hmm, this new form of internet media which allows people who are afraid for their privacy to be more public facing figures through a cartoon, I better go against this and investigate their true identities!"

Like what the actual gently caress, guys?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If anything I'd say most people posting about past lives are being respectful and avoiding links with real faces or doxxing info.

Just Andi Now posted:

Speaking of Artemis, I semi-recently discovered that Artemis of the Blue has a name that is very similar to ArtemisBlue, someone who is vtuber adjacent because she mostly just does Beat Saber with an anime avatar. Makes me wonder if that's had an effect on either of them, algorithm-wise.

Actually does ArtemisBlue count as a vtuber? I don't even know.

Anime avatar as their sole window to you? Counts as a vtuber.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

If anything I'd say most people posting about past lives are being respectful and avoiding links with real faces or doxxing info.
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this the thread that tried to triangulate someone's position by checking their pings to different servers around the world?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this the thread that tried to triangulate someone's position by checking their pings to different servers around the world?

man gently caress off with this, that was just tabletops alone on his own dime, probably the worst regular poster in here

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

For me it's a thing of like, if you wanna talk about Calli's past music that's cool, especially since she doesn't seem to care all that much about people knowing about it. Sick outta fashion owns.

However if you want to post Korone's supposed exact birth month and year, for some reason, that's less cool. This thread veers into the latter far more often than I'm comfortable with, personally.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
This thread just seems to poo poo itself every couple of weeks, so here are clips in honor of the current state of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OuGCU1ZGzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2SD7sD5igk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok8U5DMHQ7I

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

homeless snail posted:

They were chased out.

This community's been pretty good at respecting privacy and reasonably marking other identities as spoilers, there's been no real doxxing here from the regular posters. Most of what's in spoilers are open secrets from people still streaming or posting on their other accounts. There's been a handful of graduations recently and people would like to keep up with the people they liked before.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Two bad apples don't spoil the bunch, regardless of what folksy sayings might imply. Honestly we should threadban the both of them and that'll be the end of it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, it was one person and they were called out on it instantly by everyone else.

Even then they were only speculating on which continents they might be on, which is weird but not doxxing weird.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Says the guy that literally had a picture of Kiara irl in their post until someone told you to edit it out

lol. I turn embeds off because I use the mobile app and the pop-in bothers me. I didn't know that would happen, and my sincere apologies to anyone who that bothered. My thought process is that she's putting on that stream for people who are fans of her, the majority of which would come from hololive. I don't think I'm doxxing anyone here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

They were chased out.

This community's been pretty good at respecting privacy and reasonably marking other identities as spoilers, there's been no real doxxing here from the regular posters. Most of what's in spoilers are open secrets from people still streaming or posting on their other accounts. There's been a handful of graduations recently and people would like to keep up with the people they liked before.
Then why not do like that one post said and have one thread for the doxxers and another one for people that actually like and respect vtubers. Seems like a win/win to me, in my opinion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

homeless snail posted:

Then why not do like that one post said and have one thread for the doxxers and another one for people that actually like and respect vtubers. Seems like a win/win to me, in my opinion.

Cause they don’t deserve it, unless they do it themselves.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Having a thread dedicated towards discussing the real identities of cartoon anime women on the internet sounds like a terrible idea.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

homeless snail posted:

Because it's not necessary. The weirdo was cut off, the rest is in spoiler tags. Don't read spoiler tags if you don't want to know outside kayfabe stuff. This is a dumb meta derail, we're already self-moderating.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

blossommirage posted:

Having a thread dedicated towards discussing the real identities of cartoon anime women on the internet sounds like a terrible idea.
Hmm. You're right. Okay then we'll just have the good no-doxxing vtuber thread, instead.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Because it's not necessary. The weirdo was cut off, the rest is in spoiler tags. Don't read spoiler tags if you don't want to know outside kayfabe stuff. This is a dumb meta derail, we're already self-moderating.

That's not the issue here. The issue is spreading information that could very easily lead to dangerous situations, and disrespecting the anonymity and wishes of the people they supposedly admire for giving them hours and hours of free content regularly.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

me reading this thread right now

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Hmm. You're right. Okay then we'll just have the good no-doxxing vtuber thread, instead.

We do, hope that helps.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

blossommirage posted:

That's not the issue here. The issue is spreading information that could very easily lead to dangerous situations, and disrespecting the anonymity and wishes of the people they supposedly admire for giving them hours and hours of free content regularly.
Nobody is doing that here

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

https://youtu.be/yLRv0b6wJlA

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 20, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just scrolling a couple pages back and am curious, have a couple questions, why write whole rear end essays speculating what "the deal" is behind Zentreya's text to speech. What joy do you possibly hope to get out of learning that particular secret? Wouldn't it be better to instead respect Zen's wishes, when the TTS is clearly an element of her vtuber persona, and like her model explicitly a part of the barrier she has set up between reality and fiction.

That is 100% no different from people wondering if they're "real girls", have a little respect. Even 4chan wouldn't allow these kinds of posts, they get deleted on /vt/ immediately

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm gonna throw snail under the bus here and say that I know for a fact that they're being hyperbolic for the sake of making a point.

However, the reality is that people keep doing things like "okay but who is Zen *really*," discussing korone's exact DOB details, triangulating holoen's general locations based off ping, and posting irl stuff of kiara (even accidentally). And like, I dunno, there gets to a point where it's just real weird even if people call it out sometimes, because it keeps happening.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Anime avatar as their sole window to you? Counts as a vtuber.

Does it even really have to be anime? I think of Vtubing as kind of a digital puppet show. When I first encountered Vtubing while the volume of anime avatars stuck out the first thing it actually made me think of was MST3k. Same kinda premise just with the medium of streaming. These are folks puppeteering a digital avatar, often committing to a character or a bit, and using it to experience and commentate on games and media.

Vtubing is just the new MST3k. Tom Servo was the proto Vtuber. I'm right about this.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

As long as it's on spoiler tags I don't really care and I think you are taking this way to seriously.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's so much hyperbole in these posts that didn't actually happen. Just post some Nijisanji clips so I can fall into another rabbit hole and we can escape this dumb discussion

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Hololive just had to stop accepting gifts because people were trying to sneak in tracking devices, I don't think the huge step of not posting background info, even it's spoilered, is like a huge ask. As insane as it sounds, these streamers are literally putting their personal safety on the line to entertain us, just don't post the info. Just don't do it. It's just that easy.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I missed Amelia's dance party, so if y'all got any clips from that please share.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLOjb_ifPPw

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
SA's begun to catch the internet's newest disease of "getting super mad at imaginary guys"

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

NomChompsky posted:

Does it even really have to be anime? I think of Vtubing as kind of a digital puppet show. When I first encountered Vtubing while the volume of anime avatars stuck out the first thing it actually made me think of was MST3k. Same kinda premise just with the medium of streaming. These are folks puppeteering a digital avatar, often committing to a character or a bit, and using it to experience and commentate on games and media.

Vtubing is just the new MST3k. Tom Servo was the proto Vtuber. I'm right about this.

Ironmouse has this discussion every once in a while WRT "original vtuber" and i think she most recently came to the conclusion that it's a fully digital avatar, because folks were saying like, the annoying orange, or Max Headroom, that was one that people suggested to her, but then she looked into him and saw it was all prosthetics and acting like a robot so she shot it down.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

As long as it's on spoiler tags I don't really care and I think you are taking this way to seriously.
Its literally a medium where the performer is hiding their personal details from you and tells you not to worry about them. And here all you cretins are, Extremely Worrying About Them, repeatedly showing you can't be trusted with that information.

RealFoxy posted:

There's so much hyperbole in these posts that didn't actually happen. Just post some Nijisanji clips so I can fall into another rabbit hole and we can escape this dumb discussion
No. Instead i'll put the stream where Charzu eats a Baconator and waits an hour to see if it is going to make her poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoEM81c8J-c

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 20, 2021

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Naw but then we won't know what maybe the exact deal is behind the model of one of the vtubers we watch could be and that just ain't right

The speculation last page, even behind tags, was pretty weird. Sure seems like an extended, unprompted discussion that has nothing to do with current events

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Grondoth posted:

SA's begun to catch the internet's newest disease of "getting super mad at imaginary guys"

I had to go back all of four page to find spoilered talk about Pekora's past life and high school stuff

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Instead i'll put the stream where Charzu eats a Baconator and waits an hour to see if it is going to make her poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoEM81c8J-c&t=5266s
Please let Fubuki collab with this girl so they can eat american burgers together.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Just Andi Now posted:

I missed Amelia's dance party, so if y'all got any clips from that please share.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLOjb_ifPPw

someone posted a mega of it the day it happened...

Or if you'd just prefer the full stream on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci7JjPvWlqA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Hololive just had to stop accepting gifts because people were trying to sneak in tracking devices, I don't think the huge step of not posting background info, even it's spoilered, is like a huge ask. As insane as it sounds, these streamers are literally putting their personal safety on the line to entertain us, just don't post the info. Just don't do it. It's just that easy.

Nobody is posting that sort of information.