Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I built the HG Hi-Mock a while ago, and decided to jump all in and got the HG Xi Gundam, with Hathaway's Flash being the big thing right now, because it was in stock at a local hobby shop. It's definitely gonna be an upgrade in complexity. Should I hold off on building it until I have another under my belt, or go all in? I was also interested in the HG Turn A Gundam, because I have that on Blu-ray, even if I haven't actually watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I built the HG Hi-Mock a while ago, and decided to jump all in and got the HG Xi Gundam, with Hathaway's Flash being the big thing right now, because it was in stock at a local hobby shop. It's definitely gonna be an upgrade in complexity. Should I hold off on building it until I have another under my belt, or go all in? I was also interested in the HG Turn A Gundam, because I have that on Blu-ray, even if I haven't actually watched it.

If you know you're going to do it anyway I'd do the Turn A first but you can probably move straight to the Xi without issue if you're ready to go today. It will be a longer build than the Hi-Mock but it's not a transforming robot or other super complex build.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I had dwelling wishlists on Gundam Planet and Newtype. Gundam Planet won and I now have an order confirmation for a PG Unleashed RX-78-2.

What have I done ?!?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I had dwelling wishlists on Gundam Planet and Newtype. Gundam Planet won and I now have an order confirmation for a PG Unleashed RX-78-2.

What have I done ?!?

That which thou canst not undo.

It's a great kit. I haven't installed the batteries on mine, but the details and the build are first rate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chiasaur11 posted:

That which thou canst not undo.

It's a great kit. I haven't installed the batteries on mine, but the details and the build are first rate.

I'm torn on painting it. On the one hand... painted. On the other is respecting the kit exactly as it is, and also not tying up my airbrushing time for like 2 years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How is the High Grade Anksha? Is it still a parts-former or does it have a proper transformation?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

How is the High Grade Anksha? Is it still a parts-former or does it have a proper transformation?

I don't have it but looking at the instructions, it cheats a little but it's more or less a full transformation.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have made a terrible discovery that my local store has both the Sazabi Ver Ka and the Psycho Zaku Ver Ka in stock at the same price point. It's pricey as hell though (~8% of my monthly salary), so it's gonna be a decision I'm gonna sit on for a couple of months at least. I've also never done a Ver Ka before, but I've done a lot of RGs and a few regular MGs. Anyone who's been crazy enough to have both got any comments on how they compare because I'm definitely not getting both lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Finished snapping together the PG Unleashed and that's an incredible kit. It's spendy as hell but I feel like I got my money's worth with it, at least. Now I just need to put decals all over it :negative:.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Has anyone here ever had to loosen a polycap? I can't find any good resources on this, only tightening them. The kit I am working on right now they are FAR too tight and they're risking stressing the rest of the kit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

motoh posted:

Has anyone here ever had to loosen a polycap? I can't find any good resources on this, only tightening them. The kit I am working on right now they are FAR too tight and they're risking stressing the rest of the kit.

I've had that problem on some of the really old HGs. Id just trim a tiny bit off with an xacto knife.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The polycap on my MG Hi Nu (non ver Ka) was so tight it sheered the hipjoint off. :smith:

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Gripweed posted:

I've had that problem on some of the really old HGs. Id just trim a tiny bit off with an xacto knife.

Unfortunately it's a bit too large for that. This is the mechanicore 1/72 GP02.

Zedd posted:

The polycap on my MG Hi Nu (non ver Ka) was so tight it sheered the hipjoint off. :smith:

Yeah it's about that size, and similar problem.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Ibblebibble posted:

I have made a terrible discovery that my local store has both the Sazabi Ver Ka and the Psycho Zaku Ver Ka in stock at the same price point. It's pricey as hell though (~8% of my monthly salary), so it's gonna be a decision I'm gonna sit on for a couple of months at least. I've also never done a Ver Ka before, but I've done a lot of RGs and a few regular MGs. Anyone who's been crazy enough to have both got any comments on how they compare because I'm definitely not getting both lol

While I haven't built the Psycho Zaku, it is largely the standard MG Zaku II 2.0 with (an albeit impressive) huge fuckoff booster backpack, some new armor bits and parts to accommodate the joint covers. While not really the same, the MG Thunderbolt is what got me back into the hobby after a several year hiatus.

The Sazabi Ver Ka, though, is probably my most enjoyable build after 15+ years and 100+ kits built. I haven't built a PG yet, so the size of the thing is quite impressive. There's a lot of layered detail in the frame, and I'm a sucker for opening panels, which the Sazabi has in spades, revealing many, many thrusters. All decal-ed up, it's a cool, imposing MS.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, that kicks rear end. I was already leaning towards the Sazabi because I'm a huge fan of its design, so I'll probably go with that once I have the budget for it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

drat, that kicks rear end. I was already leaning towards the Sazabi because I'm a huge fan of its design, so I'll probably go with that once I have the budget for it.

There's also the RG Sazabi as a cheaper alternative. It's smaller, but the articulation is better, as fits a more recent kit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

There's also the RG Sazabi as a cheaper alternative. It's smaller, but the articulation is better, as fits a more recent kit.

Oh I already have the RG Sazabi and I love it. I just like the Sazabi enough that I'm considering a second kit of it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh I already have the RG Sazabi and I love it. I just like the Sazabi enough that I'm considering a second kit of it.

Same. We are hopeless.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still salty about the pimping Vargeuil Sazabi prototype being P Bandai.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Tallgeese Flugel sold out from the p-bandai store reaaal quick

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

motoh posted:

If I have to loosen one, I sand it. But it also depends on if it's the inside or outside that's too tight.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I have both the Psycho Zaku and the Sazabi. They're both great kits, but when it comes to pure fun and displayability, the Sazabi wins. It doesn't have the the fiddly sleeves making it a little annoying to build or the gigantic tank coming out its rear end to make it impossible to display.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh hell yeah

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1418044387745959940?s=20

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That's a pretty sweet rifle, one of the reasons I liked the vanilla Gernsback so much. Looks like there's a rotary gun attachment?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Did I time slip or is that announcement something special or a restock? That options kit has been out since last year

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zodack posted:

Did I time slip or is that announcement something special or a restock? That options kit has been out since last year

It's just "Introducing the 30MM line-up" so no nothing new or special.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
After starting out with four HGs (Vidar and Gundam Mk II were really cool builds, Zeta and Lupus Rex... eh...) decided to try out the Eva Unit 08 I got a while back as my first RG.

At first the tiny pieces were kinda annoying, but I am starting to enjoy this and I'm eager to see how it turns out. My biggest con so far though, the undergates... I swear none of the HGs had under gating at all on the parts, so it's something to get used to

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Undergating is nice cuz you can sand it down nice and flush and not worry about whether you're gonna paint it or not.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

i wish every part was undergated. its amazing if you are lazy

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Carteret posted:

i wish every part was undergated. its amazing if you are lazy

Not an emptyquote.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also a godsend for those gold plated parts.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arcsquad12 posted:

Speaking of I nearly sadness-shopped a RG Phoenix over the whole Blizzard thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Any special finish kit that isn't undergated looks like hammered poo poo when it's assembled.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/nabetora164/status/1418361476356599808

These Xiorymers make me happy in a very specific way :allears:

MoukoKHZ
Sep 23, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've started noticing the Japanese ending their sentences with "w". What's that about?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MoukoKHZ posted:

I've started noticing the Japanese ending their sentences with "w". What's that about?

it's the japanese equivalent of LOL

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MoukoKHZ posted:

It's just Japanese for "lol."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MoukoKHZ posted:

the japanese word for laugh is 'wara,' to add further context.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

How many triangles do you want your Xi custom made out of?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Haven't done one of these in some time (I did a unit 01 but it's not a Gundam so it doesn't count shh) so might as well just go loving nuts

Got some third party water slides as well just to save myself the aggravation of stickers. Not sure yet if I'm just gonna do a panel line and Pledge coat, or maybe do a couple Tamiya spray cans on there. Probably won't do any airbrushing cuz if I do any paint I'll want the metallic look and the acrylics I've used just don't quite cut it and I don't have any real ventilation in my apt. Either way I'm pumped, I looked at a couple review vids and it looks fun as poo poo to put together.

Also Gundam Planet is amazing, took two days to show up at my door (living in MA probably helps)