Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, my long beans seem to go until the frost kills them, but all the beans I plant seem to produce consistently throughout the entire summer and early fall season. I've never really understood why people do succession planting with beans.

I plant bush beans generally and they produce for maybe a month and then stop. Honestly fine with me. I just dry some of the ones that got too big and I get more beans to keep planting. They're super prolific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Paradoxish posted:

I've never really understood why people do succession planting with beans.

Other kinds of beans (broad beans) produce one crop and die, so that could make sense.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

wooger posted:

Other kinds of beans (broad beans) produce one crop and die, so that could make sense.

Fair enough. I usually see people making general recommendations for succession planting with beans, so it always struck me as strange. Last year I had a weird mix of long beans and some random bush beans and they all went right into the fall.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Succession with beans is historically bush beans. Otherwise you end up trying to keep up with a shitload of runners.

Edit: And it's typically for profit farming, to clarify. You know which row comes in at which date, pick it down, wait on the next rows.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

niethan posted:

The sad thing about aphids is that the damage is done. The affected leaves stay messed up. Are new ones coming in well? If you're worries about soil humidity there's always spray on fertilizer.

Unfortunately, I don't think the more serious damage came from the aphids as much as waterlogged roots from my trying to compensate. It stopped bouncing back overnight, and didn't really get better this week. Despite not drying out or losing leaves outright, clearly it wasn't able to pull nutrients, and given how wet the soil still was, I suspect it was starting to root rot.

As a last hail Mary, I decided to replant it in fresh soil, but it's probably too big to recover from that shock. Despite being as gentle as I could in lifting the root ball from the bottom of the pot, the soil was still super soggy and its weight just shredded the fragile roots. All that's left is a very tiny, very sad root ball.

Well, I'll be that much more careful of the other two plants now.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

poeticoddity posted:

:stare: A photo of that would be pretty neat if you're comfortable sharing.

I'll try to remember to take my phone outside, I was probably exaggerating they're likely closer to 3 feet tall.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Motherfucking aphids attacked both of my squash plants and I don't know if I discovered it in time. I sprayed the poo poo out of the plant with diluted soap water, but the leaves are super yellow, and it's looking like they won't make it.

Also, is there anything that would cause an irrigation dripper to twist itself shut? I'm using these but sometimes, I notice that some of them have stopped dripping. I have to twist it open again. What in the world could be happening? I do have a lot of water pressure, could that be causing the system to malfunction? I am just at a loss.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Solkanar512 posted:

Cucumbers and shishito peppers! I have cozumels as well but I’m waiting for some color on those before I pick them.
Those are some big-rear end shishitos.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Does anyone live in the Raleigh, NC area and want to take my garden off my hands? I do not have the time, energy, or inclination to look after it anymore. Everything is in pots/bags, so it'd be pretty easy to load into a truck and drive away.

If anyone is interested, you can email me at my username AT gmail dot com.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
:rip: hornworm

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
:discourse:

- corvid

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

omnibobb posted:

Does anyone live in the Raleigh, NC area and want to take my garden off my hands? I do not have the time, energy, or inclination to look after it anymore. Everything is in pots/bags, so it'd be pretty easy to load into a truck and drive away.

If anyone is interested, you can email me at my username AT gmail dot com.

I don't need this stuff but if anyone local wants it and doesn't have a way to get it I don't mind picking it up with my truck. I'm in a similar place gardening as omnibobb apparently but I'd hate to see anything get wasted.

mischief fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 20, 2021

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

mischief posted:

I don't need this stuff but if anyone local wants it and doesn't have a way to get it I don't mind picking it up with my truck. I'm in a similar place gardening as omnibobb apparently but I'd hate to see anything get wasted.

Lets co-get the poo poo out of my yard!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Removed almost all the ivy menace out of my yard last year. Now im working on a some clumps of bamboo and honestly im not sure which is more horrible rn. At least the bamboo moves slower.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Removed almost all the ivy menace out of my yard last year. Now im working on a some clumps of bamboo and honestly im not sure which is more horrible rn. At least the bamboo moves slower.

Bamboo is always more horrible than anything else.

Ivy is relatively easy (relatively). For bamboo you dig.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

A house down the street is growing bamboo into a natural fence on their front yard and I'm fascinated and a little scared.

Their front yard is also slowly turning into an orchard so I think they know what they're doing.

Now I want a bamboo fence. Though lately we've been skewing towards xeriscaping and putting out cactus for border plants.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The bamboo in my yard started as a fence from the previous owners but in my time being depressed and not feeling like dealing with poo poo it ran wild. You have to be diligent to keep it in check

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

The bamboo in my yard started as a fence from the previous owners but in my time being depressed and not feeling like dealing with poo poo it ran wild. You have to be diligent to keep it in check

Yeah, that’s at least a yearly dig up the border sort of project. And it loves when you give it all that loose soil to grow into too.

If it’s the right bamboo you can eat the shoots in about February, but it’s never the right stuff.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

This is why I haunt the landscaping subreddit shaming people who proudly post their new bamboo plantings. Their little containment trenches are cute, but they're temporary measures at best. Once bamboo is planted, it's basically a permanent fixture in the landscape, and all it takes is a moment of neglect for it to run wild.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is why I haunt the landscaping subreddit shaming people who proudly post their new bamboo plantings. Their little containment trenches are cute, but they're temporary measures at best. Once bamboo is planted, it's basically a permanent fixture in the landscape, and all it takes is a moment of neglect for it to run wild.

We have some japanese knotweed at the side of our driveway doing that now. I like that the general instructions for getting rid of it say to cut it all down then put a heavy tarp or carpet over the whole area. Every few days come and stomp down all the shoots that are growing up underneath before they can punch through. Then, if you are lucky, in 3-5 years it will all be dead!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Organic Lube User posted:

A house down the street is growing bamboo into a natural fence on their front yard and I'm fascinated and a little scared.

Their front yard is also slowly turning into an orchard so I think they know what they're doing.

Now I want a bamboo fence. Though lately we've been skewing towards xeriscaping and putting out cactus for border plants.

They’ll never be able to get rid of that bamboo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know a guy who got rid of bamboo.

And everything else when a wildfire swept through.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Wouldn’t be surprised if the bamboo survived. I had a friend who bought a house and every time I visited for years and years after he was digging some of it up somewhere in the garden.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wont bamboo do crazy poo poo like grow through foundations too? I wouldnt want it anywhere near my yard.

Speaking of annoying plants. I have some sort of wild grape that was planted 20+ years ago in my neighborhood that I just cant kill. I snip and snip and they keep shooting out of this old gnarly looking stump in the ground thats 2-3 inches thick. Any advice other than round up and snipping for a few more years? Its killing some lilac trees and starting to weigh down a power line in my back yard.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

i am harry posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if the bamboo survived. I had a friend who bought a house and every time I visited for years and years after he was digging some of it up somewhere in the garden.

Yeah—my mother has an awful bamboo infestation planted by some prior owner that they've cut down, burned down, etc which buys them all of a year before it's right back. I think their only options now are to either scalp the entire area or drown it in glyphosate.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think you need to dig up the root runners if you really want to remove bamboo. They hold onto enough energy that they can keep sending up new shoots even if you hack away at them for years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think you need to dig up the root runners if you really want to remove bamboo. They hold onto enough energy that they can keep sending up new shoots even if you hack away at them for years.

Yeah, you can dig a lot of it out, and then if you do it again 6 months later you'll get most of it and can just dig it out when you find something you missed. Bamboo is happy to be cut down so it can grow back. At least it's only half as bad as ivy and the clematis I'm digging out of everywhere.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Previous owners at my place in western oregon planted some kinda black bamboo. It only invades my yard occasionally, and it's great for making trellises and other garden stuff. I even made a simple gate out of some. I wouldn't plant it on my own but you can definitely make a little lemonade out of your bamboo shaped lemons.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Wont bamboo do crazy poo poo like grow through foundations too? I wouldnt want it anywhere near my yard.

Speaking of annoying plants. I have some sort of wild grape that was planted 20+ years ago in my neighborhood that I just cant kill. I snip and snip and they keep shooting out of this old gnarly looking stump in the ground thats 2-3 inches thick. Any advice other than round up and snipping for a few more years? Its killing some lilac trees and starting to weigh down a power line in my back yard.

From personal experience: cut it all the way back to the stump, take a disposable paintbrush and paint the stump with concentrated glyphosphate. Make sure it's not going to get rained on for at least 24 hours. Wear PPE when you do it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Squibbles posted:

We have some japanese knotweed at the side of our driveway doing that now. I like that the general instructions for getting rid of it say to cut it all down then put a heavy tarp or carpet over the whole area. Every few days come and stomp down all the shoots that are growing up underneath before they can punch through. Then, if you are lucky, in 3-5 years it will all be dead!

Back when I worked with the Washington Conservation Corp, we had to go after this vile poo poo by injecting a cc of pure glyphosate into the stalks to have any hope of killing it.

gently caress knotweed, holy poo poo.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Previous owners at my place in western oregon planted some kinda black bamboo. It only invades my yard occasionally, and it's great for making trellises and other garden stuff. I even made a simple gate out of some. I wouldn't plant it on my own but you can definitely make a little lemonade out of your bamboo shaped lemons.

Yeah, my mother in law planted some sort of bamboo from one of her friends on the back of their property line as a fence and holy poo poo it took off.

Only positive of it is they use it to make awesome trellises, etc in their garden. One day I'll end up having to fix up that house and sell it and that's definitely on the list of poo poo I dread, along with lead paint, asbestos, and 40+ years of chinese cooking with the house sealed up almost airtight.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Meaty Ore posted:

From personal experience: cut it all the way back to the stump, take a disposable paintbrush and paint the stump with concentrated glyphosphate. Make sure it's not going to get rained on for at least 24 hours. Wear PPE when you do it.
Yeah, I got rid of my bamboo like this. Cut, then spray in the open wounds. One or two applications. Nothing came back even after a year. Dug out the last of the root crap this spring, it was all rotting away.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im having pretty good luck / progress right now cutting it back to the root then using a sprayer on my hose to uncover all the runners from the clump, follow those, trim it back then rock it out of the ground with my pointed spade.

There's another clump near my foundation but my husband wants me to wait to remove ALL of that until we've got something bigger/taller growing in front of it for window coverage privacy got some various tall shrubs coming from pnwnativenursery like hazelnuts, elderberries, and a saskatoon to put on the other side of my walking path there.

Im gonna hit the ones popping up with the glyphosphate close to the house since I think digging those out will be a nightmare so rotting them out might be better. I dont want anything growing there anyway

I've got a poo poo ton of 15ft long 1.5in thick bamboo poles now tho so I guess im gonna learn to make trellises. I've already been using them for tomato and pepper tripods for a while lol.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Drill holes in the stump, fill with something explosive, the rest will sort itself out…

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I wonder if drilling and salting would work for something like that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Hey what the hell is eating my basil

I can take some pictures tomorrow, but there's something that's heavily defoliating the plants in a way that I'd usually associate with big bugs like caterpillars. Eating big holes and sometimes taking it right down to the veins. Not enough damage to kill the plant or stop it from growing, but enough to drastically reduce my yields.

At first, I thought caterpillars, but I haven't been able to actually find the fuckers anywhere. Next thought was slugs, but I've been using Sluggo and that's always been 100% effective for me. It's completely stopped slug feeding elsewhere and I also haven't actually found any slugs. I can't find anything that seems to be doing this damage, and I've been going out at random times, including walking through the garden with a flashlight in the middle of the night.

It's super frustrating because I'm usually pretty aware of pest problems in my garden even if I can't get them under control, but I have no idea what's doing this. They're more chewed up every time I go out there, but I can never find so much as a single ant crawling on them.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

silicone thrills posted:

I've got a poo poo ton of 15ft long 1.5in thick bamboo poles now tho so I guess im gonna learn to make trellises. I've already been using them for tomato and pepper tripods for a while lol.

Japanese square lashing knots work well to tie perpendicular poles together and they look good. Way more effort than just zip tying though...

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Paradoxish posted:

Hey what the hell is eating my basil

I can take some pictures tomorrow, but there's something that's heavily defoliating the plants in a way that I'd usually associate with big bugs like caterpillars. Eating big holes and sometimes taking it right down to the veins. Not enough damage to kill the plant or stop it from growing, but enough to drastically reduce my yields.

At first, I thought caterpillars, but I haven't been able to actually find the fuckers anywhere. Next thought was slugs, but I've been using Sluggo and that's always been 100% effective for me. It's completely stopped slug feeding elsewhere and I also haven't actually found any slugs. I can't find anything that seems to be doing this damage, and I've been going out at random times, including walking through the garden with a flashlight in the middle of the night.

It's super frustrating because I'm usually pretty aware of pest problems in my garden even if I can't get them under control, but I have no idea what's doing this. They're more chewed up every time I go out there, but I can never find so much as a single ant crawling on them.

My basil was getting wrecked by earwigs earlier in the year, absolutely decimated. But it was pretty obvious when it was happening, early evening (8-10pm) - have you seen any of them around?

A trap with cooking oil and soy sauce solved it after a handful of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

omnibobb posted:

Lets co-get the poo poo out of my yard!

What all is there? Failing any goon interest my MIL may be interested.