Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Mookie doesn't know how researching unknown topics works.

Like if it's in a book at a library or other people know what happened, it's not unknown.

If you were actually trying to learn something about someone who died 200 years ago, and supposedly nobody knows what happened to them, you'd have to find descendants and work your way back to see if there are any remaining possessions or stories passed down about them. You'd have to find things that they might have physically possessed and that their descendants kept, like photos or letters or family histories.

But since Deegan is such a well known figure, there's nothing to learn. Everything has already been written. There's nothing new to discover that hasn't already been found, and all he's doing is like writing a book report about Deegan rather than discovering anything new.

Late in original DD when they decide they need to research the king to find any dirt/weaknesses, Luna's only idea is to read his publicly available biography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This all comes back to Mookie's arrested development and his conception of the world being filtered through the lens of a high schooler. I am smart unlike those jocks, my knowledge is what makes me smart, I gain my knowledge through reading books which I enjoy because I'm an intellectual, therefore the best source of knowledge is books because that it what I, a very clever man, have exclusively partaken in.

Add in a bit of hackneyed stereotype regarding the best knowledge in a fantasy setting being lost knowledge in ancient tomes but with a dash of extreme lack of creativity that precludes having to actually hunt them down in forgotten or unusual places, and badda bing badda boom, the quest for knowledge becomes a tedious study session.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Breetai posted:

Add in a bit of hackneyed stereotype regarding the best knowledge in a fantasy setting being lost knowledge in ancient tomes but with a dash of extreme lack of creativity that precludes having to actually hunt them down in forgotten or unusual places, and badda bing badda boom, the quest for knowledge becomes a tedious study session.
Yeah I remember that one time Indiana Jones needed to figure out the exact location of the Ark of the Covenant so he went to a library and the librarian gave him a book that said the Ark is in the Well of Souls, so he showed the librarian that and the librarian gave him another book that said that to find the Well of Souls you need know the exact dimensions of the Staff of Ra, so Indy showed the librarian that part too, and the librarian gave him a book that gives the dimensions of the Staff of Ra. So then Indy wrote down that he found the Ark of the Covenant in his journal, roll credits. That was a great film.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It'll turn out that Snout is the only person ever to combine all those written facts and that's what makes him so special. Everybody else simply read those books in a void. But Snout loves books, so he read all of them and that's why he was able to find out the true story of the legacy of Dominic Deegan.

(Said legacy is a post-it note with puns about how reading makes you smarter)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SubG posted:

Yeah I remember that one time Indiana Jones needed to figure out the exact location of the Ark of the Covenant so he went to a library and the librarian gave him a book that said the Ark is in the Well of Souls, so he showed the librarian that and the librarian gave him another book that said that to find the Well of Souls you need know the exact dimensions of the Staff of Ra, so Indy showed the librarian that part too, and the librarian gave him a book that gives the dimensions of the Staff of Ra. So then Indy wrote down that he found the Ark of the Covenant in his journal, roll credits. That was a great film.

You forgot the parts where naked women keep forcing themselves on Indy while he sleeps

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Codependent Poster posted:

But since Deegan is such a well known figure, there's nothing to learn. Everything has already been written. There's nothing new to discover that hasn't already been found, and all he's doing is like writing a book report about Deegan rather than discovering anything new.

I think you really nailed it with this. This isn't discovering lost information, it's writing a book report on what's publicly available. You could absolutely write an interesting story about rediscovering lost history but not when what you're researching is already part of public record and only news to your protagonist.

Still extremely unsure why those pages that literally started the story were important and why they couldn't just be copied like any other series of words.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Essentially this is a comic about Snout wandering places and reading books.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's been established that books are as plentiful in the Deeganverse as they are now. Sure there's no Internet but that just puts you back a few decades, like the library probably still has index cards. Searching for a rare book in those circumstances can be a little bit of a challenge but not, like, anything terribly dramatic.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Riot Bus posted:

I think you really nailed it with this. This isn't discovering lost information, it's writing a book report on what's publicly available. You could absolutely write an interesting story about rediscovering lost history but not when what you're researching is already part of public record and only news to your protagonist.

Still extremely unsure why those pages that literally started the story were important and why they couldn't just be copied like any other series of words.

There’s even the incredibly obvious hook of “the true history isn’t what was written in the books or commonly accepted by the public”, but by all appearances, this isn’t looking like it’s going to rise to even that low bar.

Probably because that would implicitly require something needing to be covered up, which in turn implies that Dominic was provably wrong about something major.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Y'all know Snout is going to ~hear~ Dominic, but it's going to turn out he's not ~hearing~ but detecting him with his latent seer abilities, right? Then he'll go to some magic college but they'll be mean and bigoted toward Snout, who learns a secret phrase he'll say in the magic realm or whatever to free Dominic Deegan.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what do you mean library quest is boring

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Turns out it's not a story about finding out something that nobody knows, but about finding out something that Snout doesn't know, which isn't really all that compelling and is made more frustrating by the consistent reminders that Snout probably doesn't have the education needed to understand the thing he's looking for, anyway.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It feels like Snout is meant to be discovering these things, but since the only method of exposition Mookie has is books or notes it becomes publicly available knowledge once we figure out what it is. The only other way he knows how to have a character learn something besides reading it in a book is having a vision that shows them exactly what it is, so I look forward to Snout's seer powers coming in soon.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't Buffy and the gang usually defeat their enemies by looking their weaknesses up in the library? I only caught bits of that show but my main mental image of it is everyone crowding around the nerd friend as he reads out how to win.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dabir posted:

Didn't Buffy and the gang usually defeat their enemies by looking their weaknesses up in the library? I only caught bits of that show but my main mental image of it is everyone crowding around the nerd friend as he reads out how to win.
I don't know about that, but I do know Buffy was created by a gross nerd with a lot of hangups about women and sex, so they at least have that in common.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Joss Whedon is a hack and a terrible human being in general.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The whole thing with the waiting list and Snout's library card was a way to take this publicly accessible information and turn it into something special bestowed upon Snout purely for who he is, requiring no work on his part to obtain. The seemingly pointless bit with Veth pointing him in the right direction was the same thing: avoiding having Snout obtain anything by his own devices.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Looking stuff up helped sometimes but only because the librarian also had a bunch of forbidden lore on vampires and demons and such

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Now I'm remembering how Snout discovered the necromancy cancer, was spoonfed a dozen notes explaining what was happening there and then he just...refused to engage with it. That could've been his thing, he was the only one who knew what happened. Then Dex comes along already knowing exactly what happened and why. Oh well.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I know it's Mookie's style not to plan out pages ahead of time, but I'm wondering now if he even planned out how this story will end.

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012

Dabir posted:

There's plenty of poo poo to talk about Buffy, but at least those research scenes were the characters trying to find ways to defeat enemies, and not just wandering from library to library because they saw the word 'vampire' written on a scrap of paper somewhere and didn't have anything else going on that month.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Roman Reigns posted:

I know it's Mookie's style not to plan out pages ahead of time, but I'm wondering now if he even planned out how this story will end.

And ruin the surprise?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

And ruin the surprise?

:cripes:

Fair enough.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dabir posted:

Usually the hard part was putting that in action, so the "getting information" bits were brief scenes or focused on character drama rather then the task of finding stuff out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheHan posted:

Now I'm remembering how Snout discovered the necromancy cancer, was spoonfed a dozen notes explaining what was happening there and then he just...refused to engage with it. That could've been his thing, he was the only one who knew what happened. Then Dex comes along already knowing exactly what happened and why. Oh well.

He didn't even write what happened down himself, seriously, he was like "I hated this and so I shall now forget it!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I might have been thinking of Charmed.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Honeslty, could Mookie even come up with a more condescending way of presenting Snout. He's literally an inspirational figure by just sitting around vacantly staring.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snout's what now?

What's so kind about sitting around being upset that nobody's paying attention to you because you're useless and have nothing to contribute, then wandering off because you couldn't handle other people fixing a problem without your input?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is this entire comic now the final pre-credits sequence in an RPG where everyone is congratulating you on your victory?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Still better than wild edge.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Snout's what now?

What's so kind about sitting around being upset that nobody's paying attention to you because you're useless and have nothing to contribute, then wandering off because you couldn't handle other people fixing a problem without your input?

Yes I'm lost, what kindness did he do? Does Mookie think being a sad sack and not doing anything is praise worthy? Did Mookie forget what he wrote? Is this just his fantasy?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He stopped a fight and pointed out corpsemom was distressed

That's it

I mean, sure, that's a decent thing to do and commendable, but apparently they're ready to give him a loving sainthood over it. It feels really forced when no one else in the room noticed she was in shock, she was kind of the focus of attention after all.

Oh yeah he also had the flower that magically cured her, but having an object that solves a problem is not a character trait.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Like he did look after Corpse Woman (who is definitely still around and has not vanished from the face of the strip) and let her travel with him while they wandered aimlessly for five years or however long that was.

Thing is, she already thanked him for that, we already had the big group hug, and so this extra bit of "Snout you're so nice" pushes it even further into the realm of the Informed Attribute.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

Yes I'm lost, what kindness did he do? Does Mookie think being a sad sack and not doing anything is praise worthy? Did Mookie forget what he wrote? Is this just his fantasy?

Mookie knows that he's kind, so that means that every character in the entire world knows that he's kind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like he did look after Corpse Woman (who is definitely still around and has not vanished from the face of the strip) and let her travel with him while they wandered aimlessly for five years or however long that was.

What do you mean, she's right there in panel 2!

Also, it was like. Two days? Remember when we saw that big ol' long montage of all the places Snout had been, then alter get a hard number on how long it took and it turned out days only changed when we saw him sleep so everything happened in one day? The Mild Edge is apparently not like, bunches of weird sprawling biomes, it's a bunch of individual exhibits in a botanical garden or something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snout is as kind as he is curious.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This comic is so loving hilariously masturbatory.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The worst part of it all is that I'm pretty sure Mookie made Snout as a way to challenge himself with a main character who's completely opposite all of his usual protagonists, and then immediately decided he was devoid of potential and incapable of carrying an interesting story, which is why the rich, talented, well-connected wizards immediately became his friends and have done everything since they appeared.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Emrikol posted:

The worst part of it all is that I'm pretty sure Mookie made Snout as a way to challenge himself with a main character who's completely opposite all of his usual protagonists, and then immediately decided he was devoid of potential and incapable of carrying an interesting story, which is why the rich, talented, well-connected wizards immediately became his friends and have done everything since they appeared.

The thing is, unless I'm misremembering how things go down with some of the Snout and then later the Mild Edge poo poo with Bumper (or was it Stunt? I always confuse the two) Mookie has written protagonists before who were, at least nominally, unconnected and lacking in resources. Sure, they were still infallible Mookies because of narrative contrivances and infallible skills or whatever, but like Mookie has, unless I'm stroking out from all this harder than I think I am, totally written protags who didn't, at least in their arc, rely on their connections to the rich and powerful Deegans to move the story forward or solve the plot.

Like inasmuch as there has been arguments in this thread about whether or not Mookie has or has not improved as an artist, I do not for a second believe anyone can seriously entertain the idea that, as a writer and storyteller, he has not regressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004