Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm moving house soon and that's going to involve transporting several large LEGO sets. Is there a good way to package modulars and the like or should I just bite the bullet and take them apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Cloks posted:

I'm moving house soon and that's going to involve transporting several large LEGO sets. Is there a good way to package modulars and the like or should I just bite the bullet and take them apart?

I'd put them in a box and let the move decide how unassembled they become.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Cloks posted:

18 months ago I went through a move and I’ve got A LOT of lego. Target has nice clear tubs that fit two modulars really nicely and they latch on all four sides producing a great seal. I placed the smaller sets in the free space around the modulars. I had to buy several of these tubs. I also got even larger tubs for the two base plates sets and the tubs weren’t the best, but they did fine. I had to tape the larger tubs because they only latched on the ends and when I’d pick them up the top would flex off and lego could escape. The move jostled the sets and I did have to put things back together, but that’s the fun of it, no? For the still boxed sets I just got uhaul boxes and packed them as tight as I could to avoid boxed getting jostled and dented.

I liked doing the tub method because I’ve been able to reuse all the tubs for storage in the new house. The crappy tubs have been used for linens and the nicer tubs for holiday decorations.

My two cents.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cloks posted:

The 84litre Really Useful Boxes are deep enough for modulars to sit fine.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Modulars are pretty sturdy (at least the ones I've seen, I only own one) so they should survive a road trip just fine. Take any fragile bits off (like trees), put them in a sturdy box/container, maybe wrap some bubble wrap around them and you should be ok.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I pondered the idea of moving (but probably won't happen anytime soon cause lol Canadian housing market), I figured for modulars might be to see if I can get the floors into big ziplock bags, or, if need be, to break them down floor by floor into ziplocks so at least I wouldn't have to sort through all the parts at once. No idea what I'd do for the base.

Now that I think about it more, I think I'm more afraid about what I'd have to do for UCS Star Wars sets. Or Barracuda Bay. Creator Cars I could maybe wrap in bubble wrap and just hope they don't come apart too much.
My super big technic sets could probably just go in a box that's taped up well lol.

Speaking of technic: I'm starting to regret getting the rough terrain crane many moons ago. It was a nice journey to build, but now it's just a really big thing I don't have anywhere good to put lol. (Seems another part of my desire to move is more places for lego.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cloks posted:

Take 'em apart. They'll take less space when moving and then when you are all set up, you can rebuild them. Or build something else. Always be disassembling and building new stuff or old stuff again to keep things fresh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stuff 'em in pillow cases, tie them off, then accept you're going to have to do reassembly at their new home.

Most sets will survive sufficiently that you only need to reattach greebles. Unless the movers drop kick them down a flight of stairs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Cool, thanks for the advice all. I'll probably take apart the most unwieldy sets I have and bag the rest (never would've thought of pillow cases!) and set them in tall boxes that I move in my own car.

E: One more question... I've had Wall-E assembled for five years, should I be worried about any of the bricks breaking if I disassemble it? I think it uses some brown bricks which I've had issues with in the past.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 21, 2021

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I’m kicking off a kitchen remodel next week, total gut. Just realized I’ll have to consolidate all my sets I have spread out to my bookcase so I can tarp them before work starts.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

why are y'all so eager for another tv series set? there's already cops

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
What do you guys use to display your mini figs? I’m getting new shelving tomorrow that open on all sides and I have Star Wars ships that have extra mini figs that don’t fit in the build. Should I just find a bunch of 2x4 I have or longer ones to display them on?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a shadow box with a grid of 3x2 bricks hot glued to the back to give a place to stick the mini figs like little diving boards. There's places online you can order these but it's also a pretty simple DIY.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Rad Valtar posted:

What do you guys use to display your mini figs? I’m getting new shelving tomorrow that open on all sides and I have Star Wars ships that have extra mini figs that don’t fit in the build. Should I just find a bunch of 2x4 I have or longer ones to display them on?

I have a mixture of the lego wall hanging display things where each fig gets a cube and various uhhh I don't know what to call them but stadium seating? type of things

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just put them in dioramas, on the shelf in front of the set they came with, or with other appropriate minifigures.

Also have them all on the minifigure stands so they don't fall over constantly.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

I just put them in dioramas, on the shelf in front of the set they came with, or with other appropriate minifigures.

Also have them all on the minifigure stands so they don't fall over constantly.

Are the minifigure stands you are talking about the 3x4 ones with the 4 studs down the middle? I was thinking of grabbing some of those.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. They are a little pricey at about 50 cents each but it was worth it. They display better and you can move them around like chess pieces.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Cloks posted:

I disassembled about 60lbs of Star Wars LEGO into one giant tub, cause “Hey they all share a lot of the same parts, so it’ll be easy to reassemble later” So much gray… been a year (and a new baby) and I haven’t touched em. I mean I’ve tried but I need to totally separate all of it before I can start. I am a fool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wish the TV stand in the NES set was more securely attached to the TV.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

RatHat posted:

I wish the TV stand in the NES set was more securely attached to the TV.

I Bare My Sins and this. THIS!! Is the next post. Made me laugh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would have replied but I was so horrified at what you've done to yourself I figured silence was the best option

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At least now you can claim to be a magician that can instantly turn $4000 worth of Lego sets into $400 worth of Lego parts.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

a sexual elk posted:

I Bare My Sins and this. THIS!! Is the next post. Made me laugh.

RatHat's right, though. That TV stand is the absolute shits.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I put most of my LEGO sets into two clear plastic tubs, disassembled, and they are probably never being built again. Fortunately, Pirates of Barracuda Bay is not one of those sets.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I’ve got these little cases that fit on my bookshelf. They have tiers so you can put them in rows, just need to space out the ones that have large weapons or stick out more.

Got them off Amazon

Display Box Transparent Assembled... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S9WHM5W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Acrylic Display Case/Box 2 Steps... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075H5VZNL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

a sexual elk posted:

I disassembled about 60lbs of Star Wars LEGO into one giant tub, cause “Hey they all share a lot of the same parts, so it’ll be easy to reassemble later” So much gray… been a year (and a new baby) and I haven’t touched em. I mean I’ve tried but I need to totally separate all of it before I can start. I am a fool.

solemnly lmao

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. They are a little pricey at about 50 cents each but it was worth it. They display better and you can move them around like chess pieces.

Is there a way to buy them direct from Lego or did you get them off something like bricklink?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Now that you have a baby just leave them until the baby is old enough to think it's cool and fun to root around the pile to find the special pieces for you.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
You and your kid (when they are of age) could probably build something together that is bigger and cooler than any official SW set

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Is there a way to buy them direct from Lego or did you get them off something like bricklink?

Bricklink

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Anyone been to Billund before? Looking to head to Denmark this fall and not sure if there's any tips or tricks to get the most out of the visit, Lego specific that is. Thought about checking out the Lego and Denmark reddit threads but figured a goon or two might have made the pilgrimage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ChesterJT posted:

Anyone been to Billund before? Looking to head to Denmark this fall and not sure if there's any tips or tricks to get the most out of the visit, Lego specific that is. Thought about checking out the Lego and Denmark reddit threads but figured a goon or two might have made the pilgrimage.

Hello yes! Went back in 2018, lots of fun. Will you be driving? If so, my tip would be to stay in nearby Vejle and drive to Billund (it’s about 15-20 mins drive). There’s only about 2 hotels in Billund (one at the tiny airport, and the Legoland one), and not much in the way of restaurants and shops.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Retr0brite: it's just bleach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPl356YKcVs

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Hello yes! Went back in 2018, lots of fun. Will you be driving? If so, my tip would be to stay in nearby Vejle and drive to Billund (it’s about 15-20 mins drive). There’s only about 2 hotels in Billund (one at the tiny airport, and the Legoland one), and not much in the way of restaurants and shops.

I'm partial to staying in Middelfart myself :haw:

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Use VIP points to get tickets if you have a bunch. Are you going with kids?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

We are going to have a car so that's a good tip, thanks!

engessa posted:

Use VIP points to get tickets if you have a bunch. Are you going with kids?

I do have some points, I'll look into how many I need, thanks! No kids, just a group of adults.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I'm partial to staying in Middelfart myself :haw:

I saw that on the map while looking around and felt the same way haha. Never grow up.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Having grown up across the strait from Middelfart and gone to school there for a year, I can confirm that name is funny to any danes in the know as well, since it translates to 'middle speed' from modern danish and 'middle speed' is something you will consider yourself absolutely blessed for achieving while going through Middelfart.

(The etymology has it refer to the narrowest part of the strait, but gently caress that)

I did find the small museum there about the construction of the strait bridges interesting when I was a kid though.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

We are going to have a car so that's a good tip, thanks!

I do have some points, I'll look into how many I need, thanks! No kids, just a group of adults.

I saw that on the map while looking around and felt the same way haha. Never grow up.
Go to The Lego House in the afternoon. It's not that big and by going later in the day you skip the crowd with the small kids. They have special 'late arrival' tickets so you can enter at 15.00 hours and leave when it closes at 19.00 hours. You have to get the tickets online: https://legohouse.com/en-gb/tickets/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I was going to suggest this nice Chinese buffet place in Vejle but it’s apparently shut down. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm about to disassemble my Fire Brigade modular set to sell it and I've learned apparently the Dark red pieces have a tendency to break? I know I can contact Lego for replacements but I hope they still have those parts available.

EDIT: Checked Bricklink and thankfully all the dark red pieces are in a ton of sets so it'll be really cheap to buy replacements if necessary.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 22, 2021