Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

another day being the scion of the house guarding the locked tomb. Buddy, they won't even let me etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
strongest blade in the world, howeve,r it is so fragile as to shatter when handled by any force other than the delicate touch of a lesbian .

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Ventral EggSac posted:

another day being the scion of the house guarding the locked tomb. Buddy, they won't even let me etc etc

Oh come on, finish it.

"Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the corpse of the Necrolord Prime's most greatest foe"

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Happy Landfill posted:

Oh come on, finish it.

"Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the corpse of the Necrolord Prime's most greatest foe"

You're right I should have finished it, but felt bad cause I was skipping over the part where people keep asking to gently caress her, cause, really no one else wants to gently caress her but Harrow.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

https://tazmuir.tumblr.com/post/655980123383791616/book-3-as-an-image/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:skeltal:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Happy Landfill posted:

Please Tamsyn, just 1 Alecto. My family is starving

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I want the D. Da 'lecto.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gimme Alecto. I need it.

I hope you all are happy now :mad:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, first series in a long while that got me to tear through it; both books in a week and a half or so. Excellent writing. My fragmented memory isn't much good for keeping the fine details and foreshadowing straight, and reading the thread shows there were apparently some major through-lines I completely missed existing at all, but they're still great reads that I enjoyed a lot. Glad another goon pointed me to the thread.

Genuinely surprised how naturally some of the references/memes flowed in dialogue/narrative, too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Reading it again lets you put Gideon in more comprehensible light, and then reading Harrow again makes literally everything in that book make more sense.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I almost never reread books but when Alecto hits I'm absolutely reading through Gideon and Harrow again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When there's too long between books in a series the fan-art starts to get weird.

https://twitter.com/rocketbelle/status/1416118802425712641?s=20

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Entropic posted:

When there's too long between books in a series the fan-art starts to get weird.

https://twitter.com/rocketbelle/status/1416118802425712641?s=20

I hate that I know this, but if we're only at the mermaid AU stage, it's not that weird yet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DurianGray posted:

I hate that I know this, but if we're only at the mermaid AU stage, it's not that weird yet.

This is my first time. When should we start to worry? When the walls start growing teeth? When the tables grow hair on their legs? When the skeletal servitors shamble in just too spritely a fashion?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kesper North posted:

This is my first time. When should we start to worry? When the walls start growing teeth? When the tables grow hair on their legs? When the skeletal servitors shamble in just too spritely a fashion?

Well, we haven't hit "Lorax fandom" territory yet, so we're not quite in fandom hell yet.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Kesper North posted:

Now THIS is an AU I can get behind.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, we haven't hit "Lorax fandom" territory yet, so we're not quite in fandom hell yet.

I dunno. This is already a thorax fandom.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, when people start shipping Harrow with Harrow Nova we might want to start pumping the breaks a bit.

Edit: or even Pre-lobotomy Harrow and Post-lobotomy Harrow.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 21, 2021

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I ship Leg Day Gideon with Chicken Leg Gideon

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Harrow x Soup 150,000 word songfic laced with the lyrics of Bring Me To Life by Evanescence.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've seen Aiglamene x Alecto already and we don't even really know anything about Alecto yet.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Gideon/that skeleton with arms what look kind of like swords, obviously

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Just finished Gideon. I *almost* just returned it to the library after the first chapter, the author's style doesn't make a great first impression, nor does Gideon herself, but I decided to just roll with it and I'm glad I did, quite a fun read, looking forward to grabbing Harrow.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

AcidCat posted:

Just finished Gideon. I *almost* just returned it to the library after the first chapter, the author's style doesn't make a great first impression, nor does Gideon herself, but I decided to just roll with it and I'm glad I did, quite a fun read, looking forward to grabbing Harrow.

You may have been warned already, but uh, don't quit Harrow if the first chapter doesn't make a great first impression either. For entirely different reasons.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Also please don't expect Harrow is "like Gideon, yay more Gideon the Ninth story".

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I've heard that it's different, which is all I really know, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise, curious what direction it goes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AcidCat posted:

I've heard that it's different, which is all I really know, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise, curious what direction it goes.

please report in as you read!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
:munch:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

"Trilogy"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
tamsYYYYYYYYYYYYYN

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Whaaat

Also Nine the ninth lol

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

what in the

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

quote:

Nona The Ninth is a children's comic by Emmeline Pidgen, as featured in GOOF!'s monthly digital comic.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So, does the hard cover version of Gideon include the extra content the paperback version does? I can only get the paperback of Gideon and hardcover of Harrow locally so I'm not able to make the comparison directly, but I greatly prefer hardcover when possible. Don't want an incomplete book though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The paperback versions of both books come with bonus material that is not in the hardcovers.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ornamented Death posted:

The paperback versions of both books come with bonus material that is not in the hardcovers.

Got it. That's unfortunate (that it's exclusive, not that it exists), but I'll live.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The ebook so also has the bonus material.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah if you got it on Kindle it actually auto-updated with the new material when the paperback came out.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That's probably the route I'll go, then. Hardcovers for the physical collection, ebooks for the bonus content. Thanks, folks.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Will Moira Quirk read me the bonus material if I listened to the books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.tor.com/2021/07/30/announcing-nona-the-ninth-a-new-addition-to-the-locked-tomb-series-from-tamsyn-muir/

!!!

https://twitter.com/alixeharrow/status/1421115765546266624?s=21