Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
cisco live 2017 was a loving blast and I don't remember most of it lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

the only conference i will ever go to again is when i quit this job and attend the cabinetmaker's apprentice con 2024 in sioux falls or whatever

one of my routine interview questions is asking people what conference in the world they would most like to attend, professionally relevant or not. lots of great conversation about what people are looking for comes out of that

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I organized my own conference :smuggo:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
i just had the best week of my work life and it turns out all the managers were in Vegas for blackhat and I missed the knowledge because I don't pay attention in meetings. I got so much awesome poo poo done

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you don't maintain the facade, then you can't drink on the company dime at a conference anymore.

Plus NANOG is still solid. Can't wait until I can go back.

Sure, you pay lip service, I'm talking about the true believers.

Anyone who thinks computer security isn't 95% corporate or fed is deluding themself

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Fart Sandwiches posted:

i just had the best week of my work life and it turns out all the managers were in Vegas for blackhat and I missed the knowledge because I don't pay attention in meetings. I got so much awesome poo poo done

Blackhat is the week after next :confused:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mustache Ride posted:

Blackhat is the week after next :confused:

well then they all went to Vegas for something else and I really underestimated how little I pay attention

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
webinars is one of the worst things to come out of the past year.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

webinars is one of the worst things to come out of the past year.

webinars have been a (terrible) thing for much longer than the past year

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Achmed Jones posted:

webinars have been a (terrible) thing for much longer than the past year

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

on bool it’s just a non-short-circuiting conjunction; people use it sometimes when e.g. they want to avoid branches. the compiler can do that anyway in some cases but other times semantic short-circuiting makes that difficult. i don’t want to defend these operators being one character apart, but that’s the language

oh that makes sense, thanks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

one of my routine interview questions is asking people what conference in the world they would most like to attend, professionally relevant or not. lots of great conversation about what people are looking for comes out of that

that one sex toy conference that's like CES for dildos

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shame Boy posted:

relatedly the adult expo and ces were held during the same week for many years and it’s always fun to play “which conference” in the elevators

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ewiley posted:

This is a troll right? DEFCON is not actually having a DHS secretary keynote it are they?

they had general alexander keynote when he was director of the nsa in 2012.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shame Boy posted:

consumer e-dildonics show

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Grace Baiting posted:

consumer e-dildonics show

black jimmy hat

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

relatedly the adult expo and ces were held during the same week for many years and it’s always fun to play “which conference” in the elevators

I feel like SHOT show and that used to be around the same time too. lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

black jimmy hat

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Volmarias posted:

Way more of a Ben Kingsley vibe there

they might as well get the rest of the cast of sneakers in to do a panel with him after

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

The good infosec conference is CCC imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah but i'm not traveling internationally at that time of year for a goddang nerd conference

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Raere posted:

The good infosec conference is CCC imo
there's smaller ones that have good talks, but ya in general ccc is the only one worth paying any attention to

if you have good enough research to show off you're going to be heard of before a conference talk in any case

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
conferences are great if the vendor is paying you to go, its basically like a timeshare pitch where you agree to spend eight hours in boring seminars about rack mount servers in exchange for five days drinking for free in Madrid or something.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm still not sure I understand the ChromeOS bug—it looks like the two sides of the & are both booleans, and the right hand side doesn't look like it has side effects, so how did the & vs. && thing matter?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A Man With A Plan posted:

Sure, you pay lip service, I'm talking about the true believers.

Anyone who thinks computer security isn't 95% corporate or fed is deluding themself

The one time I went to defcon it was terrible because in the era of FAANG and big gov surveillance computer touchers are the "the man" and not the hip counterculture nerds all the attendees want to pretend they still are.

I also got stuck at a vendor party with some rear end in a top hat in a "free Ross" t-shirt who kept loudly sharing bad opinions about cryptocurrency and :females:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

VikingofRock posted:

I'm still not sure I understand the ChromeOS bug—it looks like the two sides of the & are both booleans, and the right hand side doesn't look like it has side effects, so how did the & vs. && thing matter?

Evaluation of the rhs involves dereferencing a null pointer, which presumably causes problems

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

The bitwise & doesn't short-circuit like the logical &&. If key_data_.has_value() is false, then the expression immediately returns false where && is used. Without the short circuit, evaluating the RHS operand can mean dereferencing a null pointer.

Vinz Clortho fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 26, 2021

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

i mean, yes, close enough

that's close enough to how it works

mystes
May 31, 2006

The cloud is other people's beanstalks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The giant has half of a point though. The cloud provider should have had some better defenses, and seen this coming. That said Who the gently caress expects some attacker to get tricked into buying magic loving beans, then have those beans allow them to successfully penetrate with a frankly ludicrous and unheard of side channel attack via beanstalk?

Obviously the intrusion detection could have been better, and since the attacker was able to exfil the Golden Goose of that org it was an absolute disaster. The giant ended up making a huge mistake too, trying to follow the attacker back and see if they could both mitigate any existing damage and take revenge. Unfortunately, the connection was cut with extremely important resources effectively stranded outside, which caused a crash that effectively ended them as a going concern.

Edit: \/\/\/ pretty much though

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 26, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
magic bean 0-day

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

these are the cartoons charles boyce thinks he draws

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

these are the cartoons charles boyce thinks he draws

bless his heart

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Vinz Clortho posted:

The bitwise & doesn't short-circuit like the logical &&. If key_data_.has_value() is false, then the expression immediately returns false where && is used. Without the short circuit, evaluating the RHS operand can mean dereferencing a null pointer.

technically i think it’s a std::optional, so the -> is an overloaded operator that returns a pointer to internal storage, which is uninitialized if the value isn’t present (and the operator should assert if assertions are enabled). but it’s the same principle, the rhs isn’t safe to evaluate if the lhs isn’t true

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the best hacker conference was the one in detroit where the org paid the hotel in a suitcase full of cash and one of the organizers had to go to the hospital for alcohol poisoning.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
it was rubi-con

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty sure it was HoHoCon, which is basically the same thing but in Houston

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

Evaluation of the rhs involves dereferencing a null pointer, which presumably causes problems

:doh: I should have figured that out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this is a total shitpost but i wonder how many people have tried to ransomware their own employer. seems like if you were a disgruntled IT person with even a little knowledge of the network topology and worked at a company with poor security hygiene, itd be pretty easy to do. is that part of the traditional 'insider threat' threat model these days

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 26, 2021