Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ogopogo posted:

My wife married me BECAUSE of the weekly pizza, best thing ever. Can't wait to see what you put out from your new oven!

Haha, mine says it was because of my bread. But my sourdough starter made a mess in the cabinets last night, so I guess she gets what she paid for.

I had to change dinner plans this week and made a quick dough and compared to the last few weeks when I'd planned better and went with a longer ferment there is such a difference. It wasn't bad by any means, but the long ferments are very much worth it for the flavor alone. They are much more particular about how you handle them and I just need more practice and I need to sand down my peel so I can actually lift it off the work surface without destroying the shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I downloaded pizzapp, thanks for the rec. I have some mini pizza balls proving in the fridge ready for friends bringing kids round this afternoon for bbq (for the adults). 65% hydration is so much easier to handle!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
We’re working on our Detroit style for some limited run stuff soon, almost there. The bake on the dough was maybe a minute under done, but otherwise a solid step up from our previous…attempts. Brick cheese is key for sure.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ogopogo posted:

We’re working on our Detroit style for some limited run stuff soon, almost there. The bake on the dough was maybe a minute under done, but otherwise a solid step up from our previous…attempts. Brick cheese is key for sure.

this looks incredible

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I've started playing around with making my own pizzas and am still terrible at it, albeit slightly less terrible than when I started.

My biggest problem right now is sauce related. I make the sauce by blending a little bit of sauce and a can of whole tomatoes. It seems thick enough but whenever I bake it in the oven it becomes super liquidy and spills over the crust edges and makes parts of them all soggy. Is there a way to prevent this? Am I using too much sauce? Is my sauce not thick enough?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Trip report:
  1. This thing is loving awesome!
  2. You gotta stay focused. The window between pleasantly leopard spotted and burnt is like five seconds.
  3. Started with Ooni's house dough recipe, which clocks in at 60% hydration. Think I'll go to 65.
  4. No accidents, but pizzas became a bit small and could be thinner.
  5. The thing that I'm the most pleased about is the fact that I achieved cooked dough while the cheese didn't burn.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Koaxke posted:

I've started playing around with making my own pizzas and am still terrible at it, albeit slightly less terrible than when I started.

My biggest problem right now is sauce related. I make the sauce by blending a little bit of sauce and a can of whole tomatoes. It seems thick enough but whenever I bake it in the oven it becomes super liquidy and spills over the crust edges and makes parts of them all soggy. Is there a way to prevent this? Am I using too much sauce? Is my sauce not thick enough?

It would help to know what style you are trying to make. For NY style I take canned crushed tomatoes and pass them through a strainer to get the extra water out.

What is piped on the top - ricotta?

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 24, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also personally I like a cooked sauce, it'll have less water in it but they means I can put more of it on my pie without getting in to soggy overload. I love tomato sauce a whole lot though.

I go for A Bunch of garlic, oregano, and some hot pepper flakes cooked in olive oil, add tomato paste and anchovy paste, get it all mixed together, and then add the tomatoes. You can immersion blender it to your desired chunk level, but a smoother sauce is easier to spread evenly which I think is pretty important.

Sugar in the sauce is a polarizer, but I think a little bit is ok. Just enough to balance the acid, not enough to take it all the way in to the sweet realm like pizza hut or w/e.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Happiness Commando posted:

It would help to know what style you are trying to make. For NY style I take canned crushed tomatoes and pass them through a strainer to get the extra water out.

What is piped on the top - ricotta?

Ricotta whipped with fresh garlic, garlic oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I just take whole peeled tomatoes out of the can by hand so you don't get the extra juice and then I crush em with my hands then mix in some salt and a little sugar and garlic and oregano

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

Yeah I'm aiming for a NY style. Appreciate the tips given so far.

Edit:

Here's the one I cooked tonight. It's the first one I've made that looks somewhat presentable. Flavor is still pretty lacking, but I could have used a lot more sauce which would have helped. Gonna give it another go tomorrow.

Koaxke fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 25, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Because Every Night is Pizza Night:

Ooni Koda owners: how long do you usually preheat for?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Found a local reseller for Effueno ovens, but it's a 100% markup :argh:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Then there's room for a hefty rebate.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
The 10x14 Lloyd Detroit style pizza pan is on sale for 5$ off on Amazon today. https://www.amazon.com/LloydPans-Kitchenware-Detroit-Pre-Seasoned-Resistant/dp/B01FY5PHIK

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

I just take whole peeled tomatoes out of the can by hand so you don't get the extra juice and then I crush em with my hands then mix in some salt and a little sugar and garlic and oregano

I typically stir crushed tomatoes in a strainer over a bowl until I get it to the thickness I want

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm lazy so I use a jar of Passata, and then add olive oil, dried herbs, spices, salt, and sugar. I find the consistency to be spot on for what I want.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

The 10x14 Lloyd Detroit style pizza pan is on sale for 5$ off on Amazon today. https://www.amazon.com/LloydPans-Kitchenware-Detroit-Pre-Seasoned-Resistant/dp/B01FY5PHIK

Do steel ones just not exist anymore?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

slave to my cravings posted:

I'm really curious about a Lloyd pan, but I don't think I'm $33 dollars curious.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm not sure about other options but it makes REALLY good Detroit pies. Fantastic focaccia, too. I might not have gotten one if I had a local place that did Detroit pizza, but I don't, so I figured why not?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

bolind posted:

Because Every Night is Pizza Night:

Ooni Koda owners: how long do you usually preheat for?

I usually give it half an hour to get everything nice and hot.

E: pies looking good

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I used to prepare tomato sauce with oil, garlic, basil and oregano but nowadays I just crush the canned tomatoes with my hands and cook them in for 1-2 hours until I get a good consistency.

Straining is less work of course but it feels kind of wrong to me to throw away the flavor in the juice :D

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Malefitz posted:

I used to prepare tomato sauce with oil, garlic, basil and oregano but nowadays I just crush the canned tomatoes with my hands and cook them in for 1-2 hours until I get a good consistency.

Straining is less work of course but it feels kind of wrong to me to throw away the flavor in the juice :D

Why not just freeze the juice into ice cubes and use them to make a bloody mary? Then you get the best of both worlds.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Jhet posted:

Why not just freeze the juice into ice cubes and use them to make a bloody mary? Then you get the best of both worlds.

That's actually a brilliant idea!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Some absolutely incredible pizz the past few pages, god drat! Thread reminded me I haven't made any pizza in close to a year and that I should change that. Last pie I made, sorry for the lovely phone picture

What do you guys do for sauce? I'd been taking whole peeled san marzano, crushing them by hand and adding a dash of sugar, salt, crushed red pepper, EVOO, and diced garlic.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I just put a stick blender in a can of San marzanos

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Slow simmered tomato sauce starting from tinned tomatoes, or a white roux sauce.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

Some absolutely incredible pizz the past few pages, god drat! Thread reminded me I haven't made any pizza in close to a year and that I should change that. Last pie I made, sorry for the lovely phone picture

What do you guys do for sauce? I'd been taking whole peeled san marzano, crushing them by hand and adding a dash of sugar, salt, crushed red pepper, EVOO, and diced garlic.

it's so nice and circular!

your sauce method is literally word for word what I do except I also add oregano

lately I haven't been adding oil and honestly I can't tell a difference so I'll probably just keep not adding oil

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GramCracker posted:

Note: Most of my stuff is dried/dehydrated because it's more convenient. Feel free to substitute fresh for anything in this list.

- 1 jar of passata with basil leaf, either Pestene or Mutti
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. granulated white sugar (feel free to drop this by half, or altogether)
- 1 tbsp. "dried Italian herbs" (parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, etc.)
- 2 tbsp. Huy Fong Foods sambal
- 1 tsp. mushroom powder (read: msg)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar (it's just what I have that's acidic)
- 2-4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Whisk together and leave to combine for at least two hours. Refrigerate and consume within five days or so.

Penne pasta version: soften a julienned onion cut with the grain in a pot with olive oil, add sauce and heat to boiling. Add already cooked meat too, if you want. Drop heat and simmer 5-10 minutes. Add grated hard cheese in the last minute or two if you feel like it. Add half a cup of the starch water. Mix with cooked pasta. 1 jar is enough for 4-8 ounces dry penne. It'll thicken up quite a bit as the pasta continues to absorb water from it. Let cool at least ten minutes. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and grated hard cheese.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 27, 2021

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I've taken to making my sauce and freezing it as portions in icecube trays. The trays I use are silicon with 50ml capacity, which I underfill slightly. About 2 cubes or 75ml is fine for a single pizza.

I tend to go the uncooked route. With higher quality canned toms there's less liquid and what is there is thicker, so I generally pour as much out of the can as I can do without too much hassle, very coarsely blend what remains with a couple of basil leaves, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. I take out as many cubes as I need from the freezer at the same time as I take the dough out of the fridge. Works well if you're making fewer pizzas than a can will cover.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If I'm going to cook a sauce I'll use a combination of drained & blended san marzanos, tomato sauce/passata, and tomato paste, because each brings a different element of tomato with it. Then whatever combination of evoo/garlic/herbs/pepper I feel like that day.

I''ll use the reserved san marzano liquid and combine it with all of the leftover tomato things for a lazy pasta sauce.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Anyone here used the breville pizzaiolo before? They're normally $1250AUD down here but on sale at the moment for $999AUD. Been keeping an eye on em since they finally got around to releasing em in australia but debating whether to pull the trigger on one. My current oven is one of these bad boys, which is not bad but wondering if an upgrade would be worth it

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Appreciate the recommendations, lots to experiment with for future pizz!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

What will diastatic malt powder do to a pizza dough?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

KinkyJohn posted:

I think if it's not inactive (i.e. not roasted) it will break down the gluten so rather not to be used for Pizza. Not sure if I remember this correctly though

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KinkyJohn posted:

It’s supposed to help with browning the crust.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
FAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

High on the success from last time, I had prepped for some pies. First I ran out of gas (or the very strong winds blew out the flame.) Rushed off to get more. Wind blew out the flames again. Made a perfect slightly translucent stretch, perfect launch, then the oven wasn’t up to temp, so the rear was on fire while the front was too soft to turn… ended up with cheese and tomato all over the stone. :sigh:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

bolind posted:

FAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

High on the success from last time, I had prepped for some pies. First I ran out of gas (or the very strong winds blew out the flame.) Rushed off to get more. Wind blew out the flames again. Made a perfect slightly translucent stretch, perfect launch, then the oven wasn’t up to temp, so the rear was on fire while the front was too soft to turn… ended up with cheese and tomato all over the stone. :sigh:

It's unlikely you ran out of gas, the ooni will run forever on a small tank. Angling it so wind doesn't blow into the opening is essential for sure, as is a turning peel, imo.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity, if everything else is equal (cook time, oven temp, etc), what effect does hydration level have on the browning of the dough? Does wetter = more brown, less brown, or no predictable difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Water is the enemy of mallard so less browning in a vacuum. There's more to it though like you may just get larger blisters with higher hydration/larger bubbles, so more browning in a neopolitan.