Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/demon-bull-king-80010

oh cool they've got a new bionicle out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I decided I'll buy the Blacksmith at the end of the year if I can't convince myself otherwise or don't convince myself to get it sooner. I like that roof. The closer I look I realize overall it's a very agreeable composition and well-designed set.

It's a good set. It's no Pirates of Barracuda Bay, but it's really cool.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

A few years ago the movie Hotel Artemis came out, and I read an interview with the director. He gave some quote that I think about sometimes, where he said that his goal making movies wasn't to make a movie that everybody liked, but to make a movie that would be one person's favorite movie. I feel like the Monkie Kid sets are the Lego version of that -- they're not for me, but if I was a kid and that was my *~aesthetic~*, I'd be overwhelmingly happy. In the same way that I'm not convinced Alien Conquest from a few years back wasn't exclusively designed for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I will never buy it but that is glorious. I love the use of color.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

xzzy posted:

I will never buy it but that is glorious. I love the use of color.

Yeah this is one of those sets that if someone gifted it to me or the kiddo we’d say thank you and be very genuinely pleased, but if they ever asked “how did the set build” we’d be answering “I dunno, but did you know you can build a fabulously fuchsia rocket ship out of the parts?”.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I thought the Monkie Kid sets were pretty cool.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I decided I'll buy the Blacksmith at the end of the year if I can't convince myself otherwise or don't convince myself to get it sooner. I like that roof. The closer I look I realize overall it's a very agreeable composition and well-designed set.

Are there smaller sets that I can add to the Blacksmith to make it look more "busy"? I wish they sold a small minifigure set to flesh out the Blacksmith a bit more.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Chairchucker posted:

I thought the Monkie Kid sets were pretty cool.

looking at them I'm inclined to agree but they're all $100+. I get that that is the lego premium for building a playset and including a few minifigs, but that's a lot of money for stuff where the target demographic is kids. also, dang, you put together your $100+ dollar 1000 piece lego set and you're a kid, you're going to want to play with it. that seems very much on the edge in terms of lego fragility.

I thought the 2016 bionicles were the bees knees when I put them together. even with extra armor and articulation and stuff, compared to the monkey kid mechs they look like garbage. the bionicles, for something that was meant to be used as a rock em sock em robot are also not all that sturdy. like, brick sets can be rewarding building puzzles or cool toys but not really both

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
Has anyone ever tried ordering lego sets or MOC bricks from aliexpress? The price the old pirate ships go for on ebay/bricklink has me searching far and wide to avoid that and the prices on aliexpress seemed p good, and I found some listings that had reviews + pics of the product. Wanted to ask here first before I take the plunge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're ok with knockoffs, I guess.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
While there is nothing morally wrong with getting a knockoff of a popular, expensive, or out-of-print set, you'll see when you're putting it together that it just ain't Lego. Most people won't get close enough to notice but the actual clutch of the pieces is a bit different depending on the manufacturer. YourWOBB is a good place to get such a set.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

A few years ago the movie Hotel Artemis came out, and I read an interview with the director. He gave some quote that I think about sometimes, where he said that his goal making movies wasn't to make a movie that everybody liked, but to make a movie that would be one person's favorite movie. I feel like the Monkie Kid sets are the Lego version of that -- they're not for me, but if I was a kid and that was my *~aesthetic~*, I'd be overwhelmingly happy. In the same way that I'm not convinced Alien Conquest from a few years back wasn't exclusively designed for me.

Me, but with the Monster Fighters set.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Great use of the Metalbeard beard.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I can see Vidiyo testing well...when the testing environment has iPads and phones for the kids to use, but the $60 android tablet they got 4 years ago won't run the app and dad won't let you borrow his phone for long. And the loving blind boxes.

The Voice of Labor posted:

looking at them I'm inclined to agree but they're all $100+. I get that that is the lego premium for building a playset and including a few minifigs, but that's a lot of money for stuff where the target demographic is kids. also, dang, you put together your $100+ dollar 1000 piece lego set and you're a kid, you're going to want to play with it. that seems very much on the edge in terms of lego fragility.

I mentioned this in the discord:

I posted:

There are some neat sets in the line, but it seems to skew strangely expensive. Including a brickheadz and a polybag, there are only six sets that are under $50. There are 8 over $100!
The entire line will cost you close to $2000, and it's only like 24 sets. Average set cost is $80

I'm sure there are tons of kids who desperately wanted those kickass giant robots, but then mom sees the price at Target and then points the kid towards something cheaper and part of a line they already have lots of, like Star Wars or Harry Potter or Ninjago. There are certainly expensive sets in those lines, but there seem to be more at more accessible prices.
I'm worried Lego's starting to price themselves out of experimentation by making such large, intricately detailed sets in kid-focused lines.

As is my wont, let's look at the past. 1990-91. Inflation has about doubled since then, so $10 then is like about $20 these days.
M:Tron is your jam. It was only 8 sets, but that's OK because every year there's another cool faction to get.
1478, 6811, 6833 are your pocket-change sets. $3, about 30 parts and include a built vehicle and a minifig. 6877 is $6.35, and 6896 is $11. 6923 is $24, 6925 is $36, and the holy grail of 6989 is $60. The entire line would run you $146. 8 sets, a dozen minifigures, and enough magnets to kill your baby sibling.
Adjusting for inflation, it's like a $300 line, with 3 $5.99 sets, a $12 set, a $20 set, and 1 $50, 1 $75, and 1 $120 set.

Monkie Kid has one $5 polybag set that has a minifigure and just includes a motorcycle, and another one that isn't even a proper set, just some parts you can use to 'build your own' Monkey King. Then there's one $13 set with 50 pieces that just build microscale vehicles with three minifigs, a $25 set (cheapest buildable vehicle), 2 $35 sets, 10 between $50 and $100, and 8 $100-170 (7 of these have about the same or more pieces than the entire M:Tron line).
The line is three times larger than M:Tron, and six times more expensive. There are effectively 8 loving holy grails in the line!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pyroclastic posted:

I can see Vidiyo testing well...when the testing environment has iPads and phones for the kids to use, but the $60 android tablet they got 4 years ago won't run the app and dad won't let you borrow his phone for long. And the loving blind boxes.

What I find a bit confusing about these PR statements is that they always stress how well the product line they are just cancelling tested…I mean, I could understand that on an investors call or something, but not on a PR statement. IIRC it was the same with….uhh…was it Bionicles? They said no other product line tested as well as this one, but we sadly have to cancel it because the rest of the world doesn‘t like it.

…and Bionicle introduced a ton of cool pieces (might still be a different line I am thinking of, but IIRC it was bionicle…might as well have been hidden side or something).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If the product line hadn't tested well, they wouldn't have put it out in the first place. It just feels like them covering their rear end against anyone who might think they aren't even trying to make good products

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Personally I think the move should be away from "interactive" electronic bits and bytes. It's already an interactive toy, that's literally what you're doing the entire time you're building or playing with it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well in an era where parents are content to drop a phone into their kids' hands and that kid is content spending the rest of their lives playing games on it, interactive toy companies really need to come up with a way to compete.

Lego has had their heart in the right place but nothing has really caught on. Either it's too expensive to give to kids in any significant amount or it's based on stuff no one gives a poo poo about (like AR).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You guys have convinced me. LEGO needs to go back to basics. Classic Space.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think it’s not been helped by the Vidiyo app generally not working. You can’t save or really edit any of the vids, it take an age for it to recognise the minifigs, spends forever loading (even over wifi), and hangs a lot.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

xzzy posted:

Well in an era where parents are content to drop a phone into their kids' hands and that kid is content spending the rest of their lives playing games on it, interactive toy companies really need to come up with a way to compete.

This is called "missing the point"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cool, thanks for the update.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
"Building toys need to compete with video games" yeah makes perfect sense because when I'm putting blocks together what I'm thinking is "I wish this was actually a video game" so they need to change their business to compete directly with video games. Makes perfect sense if you don't think about it in any way whatsoever

Just release stud.io on a disc/Steam and call it a game if that's the M.O. lol. "Gamifying" toy bricks is just stupid- you're supposed to make the game with the blocks! It's so simple you could almost miss it.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I can think of a lot of things that would "test" well with me so long as I don't actually have to buy it. Those prices are far beyond what even parents who know how expensive this stuff is are willing to put up with for how little you actually get. Is the solution for the company to throw good money after bad because surely they just didn't try hard enough or make it "interactive" enough? Remember that interactivity is both an actual thing as well as a buzzword, and Lego already has the former in spades. Did Hidden Side need all that extraneous crap or would it have been fine as just a spooky ghost theme? Less of a money pit that way for sure.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah like cmon there is no reason for them to be expending time or effort on anything else if they aren't giving us this. PoBB was nice, but give us a whole new line of Pirates. Same with Space, and Castle- one or two sets every few years does not an itch scratch!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

veni veni veni posted:

That new tie fighter is only $30 on Amazon right now, so I grabbed one to do an interceptor conversion. It's not like Lego is ever going to give me one so I guess I have to make it happen myself.

This guy's conversion is awesome and looks amazing. It does use a few extra parts though. Hopefully I have them...I think I do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtzeJoI-lIE

I am still surprised how much they were able to cut the price compared to the last Tie considering the only sacrifice seems to be smaller wings (tbf the Solo tie was was bafflingly over priced to begin with) . It's way too chibi looking for me though. But man that's a nice pool of parts for building the Ties Lego has neglected. I am half tempted to buy an extra and make a bomber as well.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/6206

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/7181

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Yeah but those are old as hell. I have the small one and it’s terrible by modern standards as were most or all SW sets of the time.

We’ve had a TIE Defender since then, which, like, cmon.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

looking at the hidden side stuff. some uv or ir ink printed bricks and a uv or ir flashlight would've kinda done the same thing without needing an iphone. as was mentioned earlier in the thread, all the data lego gets to mine off its users devices totally offsets anything they didn't get in sales.

speaking of mining. since lego already has the minecraft license, they should maximize interactivity by releasing a brick forge, then kids can go collect empty plastic bottles as their resource harvesting, toss them into the forge and construct their stuff with the resulting bricks

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Voice of Labor posted:

looking at the hidden side stuff. some uv or ir ink printed bricks and a uv or ir flashlight would've kinda done the same thing without needing an iphone. as was mentioned earlier in the thread, all the data lego gets to mine off its users devices totally offsets anything they didn't get in sales.

speaking of mining. since lego already has the minecraft license, they should maximize interactivity by releasing a brick forge, then kids can go collect empty plastic bottles as their resource harvesting, toss them into the forge and construct their stuff with the resulting bricks

Letting kids play with molten plastic sounds like a great idea.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

no no no no, not letting, forcing

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

RatHat posted:

Letting kids play with molten plastic sounds like a great idea.

:geno::thejoke:

but also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFiJAH63xo

I had this but my parents did the actual putting in/taking out of the metal trays that would bake in the "oven"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

:geno::thejoke:

but also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFiJAH63xo

I had this but my parents did the actual putting in/taking out of the metal trays that would bake in the "oven"

I had this one

https://youtu.be/MqDs_URncBQ

I assume it must be some really soft metal but still. I somehow avoided burning myself.

EDIT: Apparently it’s solder so it “only” gets as hot as a soldering iron.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

i would love a space set in the same vein as Barracuda Bay

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

No to space, yes to Aquazone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Booyah- posted:

i would love a space set in the same vein as Barracuda Bay

I feel like it’s only a matter of time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Benny’s Spaceship was almost that.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Earth posted:

Someone mentioned earlier itt this was originally going to be a space theme for a water planet, which makes a lot of sense

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Someone mentioned earlier itt this was originally going to be a space theme for a water planet, which makes a lot of sense

Yep, though I probably wouldn't have loved it as much as Aquazone.

https://brickipedia.fandom.com/wiki/Sea-Tron

My collection is prodigious. I've told my partner multiple times that if we needed money the only sets I couldn't get rid of would be Aquazone. If I get one more series I'd keep Islanders too. It's unfortunate my two favorite series will never see new sets. I bought Barracuda Bay just because it references an Islanders set. That's how much I love those series.

EDIT: Great news, my Daily Bugle is on the way and they did do the double points!

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 24, 2021

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Pyroclastic posted:

As is my wont, let's look at the past. 1990-91. Inflation has about doubled since then, so $10 then is like about $20 these days.
M:Tron is your jam. It was only 8 sets, but that's OK because every year there's another cool faction to get.
1478, 6811, 6833 are your pocket-change sets. $3, about 30 parts and include a built vehicle and a minifig. 6877 is $6.35, and 6896 is $11. 6923 is $24, 6925 is $36, and the holy grail of 6989 is $60. The entire line would run you $146. 8 sets, a dozen minifigures, and enough magnets to kill your baby sibling.
Adjusting for inflation, it's like a $300 line, with 3 $5.99 sets, a $12 set, a $20 set, and 1 $50, 1 $75, and 1 $120 set.

Not to mention that back in those days, sets would typically have a shelf life of around three years, so you had plenty of time to get them before they were gone. These days, most regular retail sets are in stores for a year at most, so it's easy to miss out if you're not careful (or don't have much disposable income)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Earth posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

While there is nothing morally wrong with getting a knockoff of a popular, expensive, or out-of-print set, you'll see when you're putting it together that it just ain't Lego. Most people won't get close enough to notice but the actual clutch of the pieces is a bit different depending on the manufacturer. YourWOBB is a good place to get such a set.

Oh yah like, I understand what I'll be getting isn't of "Lego" quality; it's just that Lego quality ships (as in the pirate/sailing ship kind, not the modern solid plastic ship hulls) are so expensive. My question was more; will I be getting ripped off at the price point? How often do the bricks not work right? etc.