Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hatty posted:

Frieza shooting Paragus to get Broly to transform was also pretty funny.

Frieza really had that hour long beating coming, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Bingo dance will never not be funny. Fight me.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
like, humour is subjective and all, but i can't imagine being a Dragon Ball fan and not enjoying at least some of Toriyama's comedy to the point that you'd call him painfully unfunny. i know it becomes a lot more punchmans at the exact time that it was exposed to most westerners but it still has a lot of his sense of humour throughout

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the funniest bit in BOG is when everyone literally stands up and claps to congratulate Vegeta for not turning evil again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Frieza really had that hour long beating coming, huh?

Funny enough Broly never found out that Freeza killed Paragus. He attacked Freeza just because he was so blind with rage.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

new movie sucks unless we get to go to universe 6 and visit salad planet with cabbage and cauliflower and kale

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheHan posted:

I was so adverse to a CG Dragonball film that I assumed when they said “This isn’t in the film” meant it obviously wouldn’t be CG cause nobody would like that. Maybe we’ll get some good angles of Goku’s hosed up hair model though.

That hair should give animators a big head ache.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tell me it just looks like that for the teaser and they’re not following up Broly’s gorgeous and expressive animation with a full CG movie

TheKingofSprings posted:

Broly is better because it barely bothered with trying to be funny

Toriyama is not funny

Broly has plenty of humor and some of the best jokes in the series

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

like, humour is subjective and all, but i can't imagine being a Dragon Ball fan and not enjoying at least some of Toriyama's comedy to the point that you'd call him painfully unfunny. i know it becomes a lot more punchmans at the exact time that it was exposed to most westerners but it still has a lot of his sense of humour throughout

I mean my hot take is dragon ball not Z is kind of boring. And it’s start to get actually fun once it starts becoming what Z was

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

maybe - and just hear me out here - comedy is wildly subjective and a "yuh-huh/nuh-uh" style argument over humor is the most tedious loving thing on the planet

I don't know what you're talking about, conversations like this always end in one party going "you know what? You're actually totally right after all" and aren't tedious at all

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If the whole movie is just Grandpa Piccolo and Krillin getting into trouble trying to keep Pan away from these alien super villains like it's Baby's Day Out it will be a 200/10 movie.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So has Piccolo always had a house because I always thought he was homeless based on the fact he was either living in the wilderness, the lookout or looming over Gohan's home.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Piccolo having a house makes sense, given we never really see him in his downtime at night. He has to have somewhere to go!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I assumed he just spent all his downtime meditating on rock pillars

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe the house is haunted and controls Piccolo like a puppet.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Gohan got him a house.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Piccolo is actually renting one of Mr. Popo's many hideouts.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mr Satan bought it for him because he thinks Kami is still god.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

OPAONI posted:

Gohan got him a house.

Gonna and Videl got tired of having to leave for Piccolo to babysit, and never took him up on his offer to babysit Pan like he babysat Gohan.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

17 bought it for him because he's the only practical one

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Piccolo having a house makes sense, given we never really see him in his downtime at night. He has to have somewhere to go!

Piccolo flies around the planet staying in daylight. Dude hasn't seen a night in 15 years

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, that raises an interesting point: how do the Namekians on Earth deal with night? Their home planet had three Suns!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ah that promo... I hope they animate on 2s and not 3s. The first season of Dragon Prince was on 3s to “be like anime” and it looked real bad except for a few action scenes where the animators kept really careful track of spacing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Woozie66 posted:

Gonna and Videl got tired of having to leave for Piccolo to babysit, and never took him up on his offer to babysit Pan like he babysat Gohan.

"All I'm saying is she's never gonna be prepared for the real world if she doesn't have to run for her life from a few dinosaurs."

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

You know, that raises an interesting point: how do the Namekians on Earth deal with night? Their home planet had three Suns!

Why do you think Piccolo's always meditating? He's conserving energy. If Piccolo was on Namek he could train all the time and be unstoppable. In this essay I will

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Step one: blow up the moon

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Supposition: King Piccolo does not wish for youth first, instead he wishes for Earth to become exactly like Namek. Life must now adapt to the weird new conditions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Toriyama's pretty good at a certain kind of goofy, mostly physical comedy, I think. I feel that ends up translating well to action scenes.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Goku backpatting Chichi through a wall

or was that anime-only

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it was in the manga.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Goku backpatting Chichi through a wall

or was that anime-only

I have one DBZ animation cel in my possession and it's from that scene.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I dunno how well early DB has aged but I found it really funny at the time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a lot of early db aged fine and there are some good jokes in there, like krillin realizing he doesn't have a nose. but occasionally toriyama can't help but have roshi creep on bulma or something like that and those jokes always sucked

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
it might be worse in the dub but the first tournament arc is extremely racist, and pretty sexist.

early dragon Ball has some problems

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Early dragon ball was mid 80s.
I'm pretty sure that American media had a lot of problematic poo poo then.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

not sure what point you're making

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Times change and what people (in Japan) find humorous can also change?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is anyone in this thread actually giving a pass to, say, extremely rapey 80s American comedies? The treatment seems equal to me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Commander Red and Freeza having the same wish is hilarious.

Siegkrow posted:

Early dragon ball was mid 80s.
I'm pretty sure that American media had a lot of problematic poo poo then.

Every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

america is the great satan imho