Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
smh if you don't make whipped dalgona coffee to the exclusion of any other kind :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

anything with that much sugar doesn't get to be called coffee :colbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oneiros posted:

anything with that much sugar doesn't get to be called coffee :colbert:

Canadians don't drink coffee, they drink Double-Doubles :haw:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Have him remote into your IoT coffee maker and make it for you. Problem solved.

Just configure firewalld on your raspberry pi to allow oncoming ssh, set up your ed25519 key and cat the public key (append piping) to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, then ssh coffee@home && cd ~/brew && make.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stexils posted:

i would like to submit my new smoke/co2 detectors to this thread

after installing them i noticed they periodically blink red every 15 seconds or so. i was concerned until i read that this is what they do to indicate everything is normal

yes, that's correct: alarm equipment that FLASHES RED TO INDICATE NORMALITY

They don't really need lights at all.

Wait until night, close your eyes and every minute or so one of the photoreceptors in your eye will flash as it's hit by the decay particle from the americium in the detector.

Clarste posted:

Just for the record, an automatic rice cooker isn't some marvel of modern technology, it just has a thermometer that tells it to turn the heat down when the internal temperature exceeds the boiling point of water (which means all the water has boiled off). I mean, they can add other fancy doodads like delays and stuff, but that's the basic premise of a rice cooker.

One of the most hilarious arguments I ever saw on these forums was people trying to convince someone that (in an open vessel and 1 atmosphere of pressure, etc) water will not get hotter than 100°C.

"But if I put the hotplate on 200°, the water will be 200°. That's just logic."

"No, it boils off that energy. The water remains no hotter than 100°"

"That makes no sense!"

It went on for pages and was like reading the infamous "train every second day for a week" thread from that bodybuilding forum, but in real time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They don't really need lights at all.

Wait until night, close your eyes and every minute or so one of the photoreceptors in your eye will flash as it's hit by the decay particle from the americium in the detector.

One of the most hilarious arguments I ever saw on these forums was people trying to convince someone that (in an open vessel and 1 atmosphere of pressure, etc) water will not get hotter than 100°C.

"But if I put the hotplate on 200°, the water will be 200°. That's just logic."

"No, it boils off that energy. The water remains no hotter than 100°"

"That makes no sense!"

It went on for pages and was like reading the infamous "train every second day for a week" thread from that bodybuilding forum, but in real time.

What if I put the hot plate on a treadmill?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if you have a car powered by a propeller going faster than a tail wind?

also i thought smoke detectors were alpha decay and stopped by skin.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

what if you have a car powered by a propeller going faster than a tail wind?

I understood that reference.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mister Facetious posted:

I understood that reference.

Speaking of that reference said channel made a (sponsored) video regarding self driving cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjztvddhZmI

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

What if I put the hot plate on a treadmill?

Put it on top of Everest and get poorly cooked rice.

EDIT: Now, I'm genuinely curious - any goons live at altitude who have to deal with this poo poo?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Put it on top of Everest and get poorly cooked rice.

EDIT: Now, I'm genuinely curious - any goons live at altitude who have to deal with this poo poo?

I'm at 1800m / 6000ft. Pasta and rice needs a couple more minutes, no noticeable difference in coffee which I know Italians complain about in the mountains. Not really high enough for anything significant.

The air is pretty dry though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

eXXon posted:

Just configure firewalld on your raspberry pi to allow oncoming ssh, set up your ed25519 key and cat the public key (append piping) to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, then ssh coffee@home && cd ~/brew && make.

I just tried this but:

coffee@home ~/brew $ make
Error 418: I am a teapot
make: *** [Makefile:3: coffee] Error 162

Please advise, I am suffering from withdrawal.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
smdh all of these new internet enabled coffee makers don’t support HTCPCP/1.0.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2324

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

devmd01 posted:

smdh all of these new internet enabled coffee makers don’t support HTCPCP/1.0.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2324

It really is a tragic thing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

RFC2324 posted:

:eyepop: powerful combo there

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

devmd01 posted:

:eyepop: powerful combo there

Unrelated, but, is that a Zlad! reference in your av text?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Antigravitas posted:

Unrelated, but, is that a Zlad! reference in your av text?

All systems go, prepare for off-blast!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RFC2324 posted:

Fantastic timing here

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RFC2324 posted:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

All systems go, prepare for off-blast!

I love that the Zlad videos outlived the actual Molvania book in the internet's memory. :lol:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Home Depot want to install blutooth "activation" in all the devices they sell that requires the device to be activated at the register, or it won't work

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...ing-11627410440

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Can’t wait to bring my drill back to Home Depot every time I swap batteries for pairing. Lost your receipt? Wait over there for the cops, criminal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Home Depot want to install blutooth "activation" in all the devices they sell that requires the device to be activated at the register, or it won't work

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...ing-11627410440

Curious how they plan to implement this in
1.) electronics with no battery backup, which means they require plugging in to work at all.
2.) anything that can connect to the internet in general, as Bluetooth is an infamous attack vector for exploits, and I'm sure manufacturers and OEMs are willing to take on the extra costs... :jerkbag:

Also, when their security is inevitably cracked/leaked, how do they prevent individuals and organized crime deactivating security for every single thing just by walking around with a phone/raspberry pi in a backpack broadcasting the codes.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 28, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) electronics with no battery backup, which means they require plugging in to work at all.
2.) anything that can connect to the internet in general, as Bluetooth is an infamous attack vector for exploits, and I'm sure companies are willing to take on the extra costs... :jerkbag:

Also, when their security is inevitably cracked/leaked, how do they prevent individuals and organized crime deactivating security for every single thing just by walking around with a phone broadcasting the codes.

Pretty much, even if they choose something else like Lora or some other radio, its just asking for someone to crack it and start stealing gear.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Good luck getting a brand like Milwaukee or Husqvarna to hop on board with this. I cannot think of a faster way to torch your reputation with the people who buy your tools than by introducing the possibility of it failing on a job site.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baronash posted:

Good luck getting a brand like Milwaukee or Husqvarna to hop on board with this. I cannot think of a faster way to torch your reputation with the people who buy your tools than by introducing the possibility of it failing on a job site.

Yup, it totally sounds like a middle managers idea.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

And btw. They are doing this to "save" $789,000 per 1 BILLION dollars of revenue.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mister Facetious posted:

2.) anything that can connect to the internet in general, as Bluetooth is an infamous attack vector for exploits, and I'm sure manufacturers and OEMs are willing to take on the extra costs... :jerkbag:

Also, when their security is inevitably cracked/leaked, how do they prevent individuals and organized crime deactivating security for every single thing just by walking around with a phone/raspberry pi in a backpack broadcasting the codes.

Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

And btw. They are doing this to "save" $789,000 per 1 BILLION dollars of revenue.

I read that as $789million first.

$789k is loving nothing.

This is what the C-suite of Home Depot gets paid:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if people are shop lifting giant things then it sounds like its either a backroom problem or a walmart problem; aka they pay so low and treat them like poo poo so who gives a gently caress problem.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's literally a rounding error's worth of money. Capitalism must REALLY be in the late stage if they're caring about that now.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Well they've reached the point where they can't squeeze more out of their workers or customers, so they are all grasping at straws as to how to give more profit to shareholders without taking a hit themselves.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Well they've reached the point where they can't squeeze more out of their workers or customers, so they are all grasping at straws as to how to give more profit to shareholders without taking a hit themselves.

"Senior management's job is to pay people. If they can gently caress a thousand people out of a hundred grand each, that's ten million more for them. They have four categories: happy, satisfied, dissatisfied, and disgusted. If they hit happy, they’ve screwed up: They never want you happy. On the other hand, they don’t want you so disgusted you quit. The sweet spot is somewhere between dissatisfied and disgusted."
-Lippman, "The Big Short"

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

if people are shop lifting giant things then it sounds like its either a backroom problem or a walmart problem; aka they pay so low and treat them like poo poo so who gives a gently caress problem.

From listening to dirtbag podcasts Home Depot got a reputation as a good place for shoplifting because they had a very, very generous return policy and it was easy to return shoplifted items for cash or gift cards. And even after they cut that off tools are supposedly still easy to sell at pawn shops or 2nd-hand. Still, yeah it's a rounding error that's just going to annoy their big customers. Imagine the first time somebody loses 2 hours of work running back to Home Depot because the cashier didn't scan the thing right.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

next up, IoT subscription circular saws. What could possibly go wrong?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Baronash posted:

Milwaukee and Ryobi are both labels of TTI, a Hong Kong manufacturer that somehow wins the home depot innovation prize every single year.

They are absolutely doing this as a prerequisite for subscription services.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

End stage capitalism is that we don't own a single thing we buy - it is all rental and subscription and our user license can be revoked at any time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

End stage capitalism is that we don't own a single thing we buy - it is all rental and subscription and our user license can be revoked at any time.

Just as Right to Repair is actually gaining traction, too... :tinfoil:

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

BiggerBoat posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday but aren't almost all of our modern problems a direct result of the industrial revolution and our pursuit of efficiency, speed and easing our burden of labor through technology? I recognize the incredible advances we've made in medicine, transportation and construction but it all comes at the cost of pollution, global warming, privacy concerns, automation eliminating jobs, disinformation and cyber crimes on the web, and things like infrastructure issues to support it all that no one wants to pay for.

I don't know too many people that feel like they have a ton of free time on their hands or that much of this is all that convenient or makes our lives easier. In fact, it seems quite the opposite where most of us are beholden to the machines and almost dependent on them. I'm not suggesting we all live in grass huts with no electricity so much as noticing that it seems like a never ending chase to finally be able to relax that never comes.

I’m just getting caught up on the thread so I’m sure this has been addressed but (if you aren’t joking) you’ve basically recited Kaczynski’s Manifesto lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Mister Facetious posted:

Listen buddy, if I wanted to put thought into this, I wouldn’t be your boss’s boss. I’ve got a charity dinner to get to, why don’t you work it out over the weekend.