Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

captkirk posted:

Haven't tried their CSA yet but I just found out about them and did a one time order. Got a couple of frozen hens, 3 lbs of chicken skins for gribenes, some ground chicken, and a pair of duck breasts. The duck breasts were great.

I was surfing food on there today, and I was thinking 'what the heck do you need an order full of chicken skins for'? Now that I have googled Gribenes, I want to try them... I LOVE chicharrones, why not chicken version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I just purchased a plastic bucket for my sous vide stick. Do I need to insulate it anyway so it doesn't lose too much heat? This bucket will only be used when I use my sous vide stick thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I just purchased a plastic bucket for my sous vide stick. Do I need to insulate it anyway so it doesn't lose too much heat? This bucket will only be used when I use my sous vide stick thing.
The circulator will heat it up so you don't really need to insulate it, but it will use less energy if you do insulate it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Same Great Paste posted:

Thank you for the reply. Apologies, but I'm afraid I have misphrased my question.

I understand that to do this correctly I need 4 cups of liquid - so 3.9 cups of water plus an amount of concentrated stock. My question is how should I judge the amount of cubes to stir into the water before I seal it to do the cooking? My concentration of stock is certainly different than yours. I've never actually tasted what straight store-bought stock tastes like so pre-mixing and tasting I don't know what to aim for.

If I were making something that wasn't "seal and pray" I'd just start with water add and taste along the way. It's my assumption that after the pressure cooking it would be too late to meaningfully add flavor to the water that's going to penetrate the rice?

Ah I understand better now. I think it would be pretty hard to get the ratio wrong, try something like 1 cube per cup of water and see how it comes out. You can heat this up on the stove or in the microwave and have a taste to see if its got enough flavor for you. If it tastes good plain, its good to cook with.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

obi_ant posted:

You'll have to test. I do my sous vide stick in a stockpot so I can use the stove if necessary (or just to speed up getting to temp initially), but I find I have to put a top on the stockpot if I want to maintain vegetable (183F) temps. Below that the stick can handle it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

I was surfing food on there today, and I was thinking 'what the heck do you need an order full of chicken skins for'? Now that I have googled Gribenes, I want to try them... I LOVE chicharrones, why not chicken version?

I hadn't heard of gribenes before last year when I was describing how I used left over chickens skins from breaking down whole hens to make chicken skin crackers (season the skin, place it between two sheet pans and toss it in the oven) and one of my Jewish friends told me about gribenes.

You'll also end up with some schmaltz from the process! Which is handy for any food you'd like to make much less healthy.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

Chopping first means they may toast quicker, which is convenient but you do have to keep an eye out. Toasting makes them more brittle, so if you chop after, the bits are more likely to shoot everywhere.

I ended up leaving them whole so I'd have more time to react when they were done. Afterwards I ended up putting them into a ziplock and beating them up with a meat tenderizer, that showed them who's boss

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Ooh, that looks interesting. I use allspice in a sausage recipe I do (boerwors, from S. Africa) but I really don't tend to think of it otherwise for meat.

Boerewors is awesome. :) Allspace also works in its British cousin Cumberland sausage, and additionally its an important ingredient in jerk seasoning.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Just want to thank you guys for the suggestion to make french toast out of my costco brioche buns, it's some of the best French toast I ever made and I get 4 slices out of each roll.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You shouldnt make pressure cooker risotto because the nursing and stirring of a risotto is an inherent part of the process, and the reason you make a risotto should not be because you want your guests to enjoy it, its because you enjoy making it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

love to slave over a stove to make hot wet rice

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu posted:

love to slave over a stove to make hot wet rice

Have you found that it's significantly faster with a pressure cooker vs stovetop? I didn't but am wondering if there's a method that I am missing.

Did a Serious eats pressure cooker one iirc and it was like... 5-10 mins faster in total but not as easy to adjust texture and liquid vs stovetop.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I think risotto sucks so I've never bothered

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Orzo is basically the same thing but an hour quicker anyway

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mister Facetious posted:

Orzo is basically the same thing but an hour quicker anyway

Risotto takes 30 mins

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That Works posted:

RisottoHot wet rice takes 30 mins

Yeah but I can ignore it in the pressure cooker which is worth quite a lot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That Works posted:

Risotto takes 30 mins

You're not adding enough wine/grappa :colbert:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So this is just the talk poo poo and post hot takes instead of answer questions thread then.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yep

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ive never bothered making risotto without the pressure cooker idk it's pretty loving great that way

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

That Works posted:

So this is just the talk poo poo and post hot takes instead of answer questions thread then.

Takes as hot as my rice (which is delightfully wet) though, so it's fine

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

I think risotto sucks so I've never bothered

:aaaaa: i was with you until you said this, how dare

Personally I like pressure cooker risotto because I do not feel like cooking a drat thing on weekday evenings after work and that's times one loving million during all this covid poo poo. All recipes that can be converted into "throw poo poo into a pot and turn it on, go play video games" with minimal changes in quality are my jam.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

Personally I like pressure cooker risotto because I do not feel like cooking a drat thing on weekday evenings after work and that's times one loving million during all this covid poo poo. All recipes that can be converted into "throw poo poo into a pot and turn it on, go play video games" with minimal changes in quality are my jam.

:bisonyes:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Pressure cooker risotto wins because I don't need to have a second pot of heated stock. Like as an end product it's very close so I usually choose to stress out about other things in my life.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Post your gluten free keto friendly vegan risotto recipes itt.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I am about to be gifted 40 pounds of white onions other than digging a root cellar in my back yard to store them. I have never fermented onions and I don't know if they have enough sugar to complete the ferment. I have 4 gallons of white vinegar to go that route. Right now I am thinking of drying them since that seems the most economical.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

stinkypete posted:

I am about to be gifted 40 pounds of white onions other than digging a root cellar in my back yard to store them. I have never fermented onions and I don't know if they have enough sugar to complete the ferment. I have 4 gallons of white vinegar to go that route. Right now I am thinking of drying them since that seems the most economical.

I don't think it will make all 40 pounds last, but if you want to set aside a portion for fresh use, I have had some good luck using perforated paper bags to extend the shelf life of the yellow onions (and potatoes) I keep in my pantry.

also, username/post combo

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

stinkypete posted:

I have the worst time with fermented onions. It works okay on red onions, but the texture of white onions gets slimy and it's unpleasant to eat them even when you mix it into sauerkraut. They're good vinegar pickled though, and they keep pretty well forever. I like to add a few sliced jalapenos into the pickle because the onions end up slightly spicy and the jalapenos get super oniony.

I buy 20lbs of onions on purpose 5 times a year to make huge batches of caramelized onions to freeze. I'm never more then 5 minutes away from an ersatz french onion soup.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

stinkypete posted:

Story time: My dumb rear end dehydrated a bunch of onions I'd sliced super thin on a mandolin once and basically tear gassed my apartment.

So, if you're going to dry them, I'd advise doing it outdoors.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I'm looking to buy a blender for making smoothies/shakes. I've never purchased a blender before, and I'm kind of amazed at the price range. I feel like my needs are pretty basic (I just want to make post workout shakes), but I'm concerned about buying something unreliable if I cheap out too much. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that's relatively cheap but still reliable and constructed well?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yoshi Wins posted:

I'm looking to buy a blender for making smoothies/shakes. I've never purchased a blender before, and I'm kind of amazed at the price range. I feel like my needs are pretty basic (I just want to make post workout shakes), but I'm concerned about buying something unreliable if I cheap out too much. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that's relatively cheap but still reliable and constructed well?

Ninja if your budget is $$, Vitamix if your budget is $$$$.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Arkhamina posted:

A couple years ago I raised some turkeys on a whim and once the necessary deed was done, I broke down the carcasses for parts - boneless breast, thighs, legs, wings, etc. But they were so fatty (way fattier than store bought Butterball or whatever) that I decided to try rendering down the skin and fat for turkey schmaltz. Best decision ever, and the turkey "cracklings" were beloved by human and dog alike over the next couple days. The schmaltz was absolutely wonderful to drizzle over potatoes before roasting and use when making biscuits or cornbread.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YARtbdvklDc&t=279s

TL;DW, he puts his cast iron tortilla press directly on the stove in order to flatten and cook the tortilla at the same time.

I got an identical tortilla press as a gift and have been less than impressed with the results; pressing rather than rolling the dough makes the tortillas shrink up in the time between pressing and hitting the hot pan. The method above looks like it solves this issue, but it's definitely not how you're supposed to do it. If you cook it the whole way on the press, you miss out on the puff you get from the traditional method, but you could "set" it on the press and transfer it to a hot pan after 30 seconds.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

stinkypete posted:

It sounds ridiculous, but when I used to get onions in bulk, I'd go buy three pairs of nylon pantyhose. Cut the legs off, and add onions to the leg, one at a time, stretching the hose and tying the hose off above the onion, repeat until full, hang in a dry dark place. My grandma's hall closet had hooks on the back wall to hang onions on. I tend to hang them from the rafters in my garage.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YARtbdvklDc&t=279s

TL;DW, he puts his cast iron tortilla press directly on the stove in order to flatten and cook the tortilla at the same time.

I got an identical tortilla press as a gift and have been less than impressed with the results; pressing rather than rolling the dough makes the tortillas shrink up in the time between pressing and hitting the hot pan. The method above looks like it solves this issue, but it's definitely not how you're supposed to do it. If you cook it the whole way on the press, you miss out on the puff you get from the traditional method, but you could "set" it on the press and transfer it to a hot pan after 30 seconds.

Most I've seen are coated with zinc to prevent rusting which makes this a bad idea

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ninja if your budget is $$, Vitamix if your budget is $$$$.

Thanks. I'll check out some ninjas. :ninja:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

stinkypete posted:

I think you know what you have to do.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I recently was gifted what seems to be very high quality honey (it's certainly way better then any I've ever bought), a small container about a cups worth. I'm looking for suggestions on how to best use it in a way that showcases it. Any suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

On a biscuit with some butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

On a biscuit with some butter

:hmmyes:

Would in a heartbeat.