Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ghosthotel posted:

beat the game and got the true demon ending that was a hell of a ride. I've only played the persona games, and have really vague memories of playing SMT: strange journey as a kid but not really gelling with it. I wanna play another one but don't know where to start. suggestions??

Like everyone else said, 4 and 4A are fantastic but you really can't go wrong. All the ps2 games are sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

It's not that much to heal them on normal and you cannot fuse dead demons
oh, that's great to know!

Instead of going broke (400 for revive, 500+ for full heal) I instead redid the fight and didn't lose a single guy this time. proper setup ftw

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

4a: idk why they gave it this side-gamey name, apocalypse is an entirely different campaign with a new story and characters, tons of new enemies and reworked mechanics, and it's a huge game. i liked it a lot more than 4 but 4 is still great

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

gotta be fair to the poster asking about the Switch version btw: there was some extremely weird slowdown when Matador appeared in his fire clouds. it's not gonna kill the game for me but it was definitely there

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ghosthotel posted:

beat the game and got the true demon ending that was a hell of a ride. I've only played the persona games, and have really vague memories of playing SMT: strange journey as a kid but not really gelling with it. I wanna play another one but don't know where to start. suggestions??

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, gamer

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

4a: idk why they gave it this side-gamey name, apocalypse is an entirely different campaign with a new story and characters, tons of new enemies and reworked mechanics, and it's a huge game. i liked it a lot more than 4 but 4 is still great

its got worse writing than 4 imo but yeah its a whole new game with a totally different story

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did it. Absolutely loived this game. My final team was: Demifiend, Metatron, Shiva and Trumpeter. metatron/trumpeter for buffs+ebufs and emergency heals, shiva with focus + pierce + might to deal 6k crits and demifiend didnt do jack poo poo on the final fight since I did a magic build lol. Just using mediarahan whenever needed and cheering from the sideline. goddamn this game was so good, every new location was alien and mysterious, every dungeon had a sweet aesthetic and cool mazes, the music was great, the demon designs all look sick...godly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my final DF was (going with text bc i dont have an easy way to screenshot from the ps2 version)
Lvl 95
ST 5
MA 40
VI 30
AG 28
LU 16
Skills: Glacial Blast, Magma Axis, Mediarahan, Dekaja, Fire Boost, Ice Boost, Endure, Mana Refill.

magma axis + fire boost just deleted bosses once i had it, right up until the final tde boss reared its ugly head with like 90% magic reduction and i had to grind for like 3 hours to get metatron and a pierce demon. but i prevailed over the ugly son of a bitch and now im king of the demons in atimeless world.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

:cheers:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I'm playing SMT4 again and made it to the Minotaur. I had him on the ropes, and in what was probably the last turn he was going to get, he crit Flynn for 684 damage for his first attack and killed all 3 of my demons with his second. I love these games

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I just started Nocturne last night for the first time. this game is incredible. started to overthink whether to use English or Japanese voiceovers, but decided to just keep it in English.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

I just started Nocturne last night for the first time. this game is incredible. started to overthink whether to use English or Japanese voiceovers, but decided to just keep it in English.

Leaves room for a JPN voiceover replay :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

The English vo is generally fine but occasionally completely bonkers, like when the fiends trash talk you, it's worth it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The English vo is generally fine but occasionally completely bonkers, like when the fiends trash talk you, it's worth it

Hell Biker’s Macho Man Randy Savage voice ftw

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Or Gouto's cool rear end voice

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Or Gouto's cool rear end voice

That’s my favorite VA so far for sure

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Even though the voices don’t actually sound all that similar the deep sarcastic voice coming out of an otherwise normal-looking black cat always makes me think of the old Sabrina the Teenage Witch show with Melissa Joan Hart, which is a weird tonal shift

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gouto’s VA also played post-timeskip Nier in Replicant.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hell bikers va is so sick, wish he had more lines

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

someone said Goutou sounds like he should be telling us what's coming up next on toonami and if that doesn't loving nail it idk what does lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

someone said Goutou sounds like he should be telling us what's coming up next on toonami and if that doesn't loving nail it idk what does lol

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toonami Tom is voiced by Spike Spiegel.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is entering the Tower of Kagutsuchi a point of no return or can I enter and leave whenever? I’ve still got to beat Metatron and find a few more magatama but I was hoping I could use the tower for grinding along the way

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Is entering the Tower of Kagutsuchi a point of no return or can I enter and leave whenever? I’ve still got to beat Metatron and find a few more magatama but I was hoping I could use the tower for grinding along the way

You can leave but your ending is locked in once you enter, so you need to finish amala before entering if you want true demon ending

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

You can leave but your ending is locked in once you enter, so you need to finish amala before entering if you want true demon ending

Awesome, thanks. I actually want one of the Reason endings for story purposes, I just want to beat Metatron basically just because he’s there, so that’s perfect.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Actually I just looked up the flags and realized I hosed up the Reason ending I wanted, and deliberately close off the others. Whoops. Most of them are obvious enough but I didn’t realize killing Hijiri yourself instead of letting Isamu do it was the second Musubi flag.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

in that case make sure you finish the 5th kalpa before entering the tower

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Just found out that switching to Merciful difficulty also makes battles give like 5x the experience and macca. Those grinding maps seem extremely pointless now lol

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Playing on merciful is shameful

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Playing on merciful is shameful

You're right, I should have fought 10 mobs next to the save point instead of 2 to get that level I needed for Fog Breath, those Isoras would have presented a really compelling challenge

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You're right, I should have fought 10 mobs next to the save point instead of 2 to get that level I needed for Fog Breath, those Isoras would have presented a really compelling challenge
I'm with you

Anyway speaking of endings: I'm totally blind on the game. Should I just go for whatever feels okay (considering trying to be full "yeah being a Demon rules actually" choices) and see what happens, or will I miss major cool content if I just waffle about?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I'm with you

Anyway speaking of endings: I'm totally blind on the game. Should I just go for whatever feels okay (considering trying to be full "yeah being a Demon rules actually" choices) and see what happens, or will I miss major cool content if I just waffle about?

For the most part the dialogue flags that align you with a particular ending are pretty obvious and as far as I’m aware the content is nearly identical aside from an occasional boss fight that may or may not happen depending on who you aligned with

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

For the most part the dialogue flags that align you with a particular ending are pretty obvious and as far as I’m aware the content is nearly identical aside from an occasional boss fight that may or may not happen depending on who you aligned with
Awesome, then I won't sweat it!

Game's still awesome by the way, I'm now past the part which I played back in the day and feel much more comfortable. Did a first dive into the Amala Network and it's actually p cool to have that mounting tension of "haven't saved for a while, will the enemies one ladder down be much harder?! Should I go back?". I really liked SMT4 but save anywhere is just a very different experience.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I'm with you

There's only one ending which has properly different content and if you're doing Amala stuff it will be pretty clearly signposted

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You would've gotten that level in the next area

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

unironically this.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’ll admit I’ve been tempted to pop Merciful on just to do some grinding and then switch back to normal before doing any more story progress, it takes so long to grind up even a single level in the late game and I’ve got three more before I can fuse Uriel into Raphael, and then who knows how much more for Gabriel and then Metatron.

But I think I’ll just do all that on the inevitable New Game+ run and just head straight to the last bosses now, this team was able to beat all the 4 Heavenly Kings without too much trouble (although that ice guy doing the beast eye, boost physical 3x, strong physical attack for a guaranteed crit whenever he freezes you pwned my main character instantly once) so unless the final bosses are extremely nasty surprises I feel like I should have a fighting chance as-is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i know myself. if i use merciful mode to grind, and perhaps even the dlc dungeons themselves, i'll get bored instantly.