Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

Trying to figure out how to mount this cord reel on the ceiling. It's got some heft to it. I have no idea what I'm doing. How should I be going about this?

Here's the cord reel:

I want to mount it near this ceiling outlet in the garage:

I was thinking something like this? Couple of 2x4s between the joists, held on by joist brackets. White lines would be the lag bolts coming through:

Your plan seems reasonable to me. Did the reel come with installation instructions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Your plan seems reasonable to me. Did the reel come with installation instructions?

Ok good to hear. Nope unfortunately it didn't come with any instructions or mounting hardware.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

fletcher posted:

Trying to figure out how to mount this cord reel on the ceiling. It's got some heft to it. I have no idea what I'm doing. How should I be going about this?

Here's the cord reel:

I want to mount it near this ceiling outlet in the garage:

I was thinking something like this? Couple of 2x4s between the joists, held on by joist brackets. White lines would be the lag bolts coming through:

Holy gently caress. Are you hanging a cord reel or a gently caress swing?

Your idea is good, but its probably a bit over kill.
Unless that thing weighs a hundred pounds, you'd be fine screwing it in to the joists with wood screws that are long enough to go through the drywall and in to the wod an inch and a half or so.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Your idea is good, but its probably a bit over kill.
Unless that thing weighs a hundred pounds, you'd be fine screwing it in to the joists with wood screws that are long enough to go through the drywall and in to the wod an inch and a half or so.

Hahaha. I think it's about 40 pounds. I am down for a little overkill to make sure it's nice and solid.

I should have included this view of the top of it:

I wouldn't be able to hit all 4 holes with the joists, that's why I was thinking I need the extra 2x4s.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

fletcher posted:

Hahaha. I think it's about 40 pounds. I am down for a little overkill to make sure it's nice and solid.

I wouldn't be able to hit all 4 holes with the joists, that's why I was thinking I need the extra 2x4s.

Ah, got ya now

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that's a beefy reel.

Your plan looks solid, though in your shoes I'd probably mount a sufficiently wide piece of plywood to a single stud, and mount the reel to that wood. I've never had an electric cord reel that mounted to anything more than a single large eyelet. Even my pneumatic hose reel just uses two lag bolts into one stud.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

fletcher posted:

Could also rotate it 90 degrees. Put a 2x4 (2x6? not sure of the hole spacing) up on the ceiling mounted perpendicular to 2 studs, and this hangs off that 2x whatever.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

12awg shibari with this setup.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's up! Thanks again

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping to salvage a piece of glass from an old desk but I can't tell how these metal bits are attached and the glass is almost completely opaque on the edges.

Any ideas how these are secured or how to remove them without breaking the glass?

Thank you all in advance for your time and attention.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They're epoxied. You can try repeatedly soaking them with acetone and using a razor blade, according to loctite.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 25, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Tap the corner of the glass with a hammer. I would suggest doing it in a bag.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

fletcher posted:

It's up! Thanks again

That looks great! As an alternative, I would have sistered the joist on the other side of the outlet box, so that joist was double wide and mounted two screws in each piece. Your way is much stronger and gives better clearance to the outlet though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does adjusting how open the hot and cold supply valves affect water pressure for the connected faucet? I still have some noise even with a new faucet, but I don't notice it in other fixtures. I also do know my city has pretty high water pressure. Right now they are completely open.

I tried closing them most of the way, and found that it made the high pitched sound go away if they were open just a bit. The water flow was slightly reduced but that's no problem. It's much better than the noise!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 25, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been debugging an issue with my satellite TV (DirecTV). For the last year an issue has steadily gotten worse: intermittent interruption/dropout of the 4k signal. Started with just audio occasionally, then picture occasionally, now picture & audio almost never come in at all. I already tried swapping out the 4k Genie box but it didn't help at all.

I decided maybe there was an issue with the cabling. I was up on the roof checking the connections when I realized that leaning against the metal gutter and holding the coaxial cable connection (just the metal outside, so I believe that's the ground) I feel a current running through my arm into the metal gutter. E.g., the outside/sheath is energized.

Is this normal/expected? Or do I have a ground fault somewhere? I'm going to go up with a voltmeter and check how bad it is now, but hopefully someone here knows poo poo about satellite TV cabling.

I'll note that there's at least two places in the house where I've got some DirecTV dongle box thing that plugs into an outlet and the coax runs into/through it, so that could be a source of the fault, if there is one.

e. uhhh

I'm touching the outer connector sheath of the two satellite cables, just as they exit the satellite. Everything's still connected and I have a TV turned on. These two were originally taped together with these connectors touching metal to metal...

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 25, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's normal for the lnb (the thing pointing towards the dish) to be powered by the set top box at 13 or 18V over the coax cable when it's in use. Generally the set top box will stop powering the lnb when powered off, which is a thing you can test. Other than that I'm not sure what you've got going on up there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been reading this excellent guide (PDF) and it looks like my issue may be that I'm powering the dish with an PI21R2. The guide says this "should no longer be used" as it provides inadequate power for 4k, and indicates the more modern PI-29Z.

quote:

POWERING A SWM MULTISWITCH OR LNB
The PI-29Z power inserter is the only way to power a multiswitch or LNB. Any LNB
with a single wire out, or any external SWM multiswitch, requires power to work.
The power inserter is connected to the dedicated PWR port (except in SWM-8
multiswitches which are powered through the SWM1 port.) The PI-21 power inserter,
which is black instead of grey, should no longer be used. DIRECTV HR54 and HS17
Genie DVRs are capable of powering a dish but should not be used to power an
external multiswitch.

I have on the dish a "generation 2" SL3 LNB, with a single (paired) coax wire coming from it. In my office I have a HR54-500 DVR, which the guide says "is capable of" powering a dish, but it looks to me like the installer stuck with the still plugged in PI-21 instead. I wonder if there's a way to switch to the HR-54's power.

(The rest of my installation is a single C61K-700 Genie Mini in the living room, which is where my only 4k TV is located; and a DCA2SR-01 ethernet connector in the office. Some of the cabling runs under the house and I'm hoping to avoid crawling around in the crawlspace, but if I have a switch that's probably where it's located.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am trying to install a ductless mini split.

I'm still at the beginning steps and have already run into an issue. I put the mounting plate on the wall and measured for the spot to put the hole for the line set. I used a hole saw to drill through in a spot that is roughtly 6 inches away from the stud. Should be fine to get to the outer wall to do what needs to be done there.

It turns out that about 2-3 inches into the wall is a beam or something. It appears to be attached to the outer wall but also extends away from the mounting bracket by 4 inches or so. I know well enough not to try to drill a partial hole through this and that I'll have to find a different spot for the line set or perhaps find a way to get through the wall at a different angle.

I'm guessing the best thing to do is just patch over this hole and then put the hole on the opposite side of the bracket. My concern is that I will find something similar over there, as well.

My stud finder couldn't see this thing because the inside drywall is not attached to it.

Any idea what this piece of wood is and whether there are likely to be many more?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Can you stick your phone in the hole (do not drop it!!!) and take a picture of the mystery beam or something? What is the exterior cladding of the house? Might just be some kind of blocking for something on the outside.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Siding is some sort of wood:

The wood thing is on the right.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
This might be a really simple question

I have a cheap office chair at home (with wheels and the piston type thing) and over time the piston apparently gave out and the chair sank to the floor. The whole thing was on a thin rug, and when the chair became hard to slide around, I assumed for far too long that the wheels were just caught on something and forced it.
Long story short, the piston bored through the rug and scratched up the floor. I had to clean up some dust and stuff when I discovered it, and given I'm moving out of this apartment in a few weeks, I'd like to restore/hide as much of the damage as possible.
I'm not sure what type of wood it is, but I'd guess something cheap with a synthetic coating. Here are a couple of photos showing the full damage, along with a closeup of the edge of it next to some undamaged flooring.

I'm in Japan, if it helps track down what type of wood it may be or what sort of coatings are typically used in rental apartments.

Please help :ohdear:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yellow Yoshi posted:

I'm not sure what type of wood it is, but I'd guess something cheap with a synthetic coating. Here are a couple of photos showing the full damage, along with a closeup of the edge of it next to some undamaged flooring.

I'm in Japan, if it helps track down what type of wood it may be or what sort of coatings are typically used in rental apartments.

Is that wood or something like vinyl plank? If there is any kind of synthetic coating on top you're never going to restore or hide it if they do any kind of halfassed inspection after you've moved out. I would prepare to pay for that unfortunately. If it's pure wood you could try sanding it, but I don't see any wood grain remaining which leads me to agree with your assessment that it's a manufactured product. Could just be a crappy picture.

The good news is they should be able to just replace those 4 planks you damaged. If it is wood with a veneer and not something that clicks together (which given the gap shown is doubtful) it shouldn't be more than a few hours of work plus materials. If it clicks together it might be a whole days work since they need to unclick it from the wall to your damage to replace it. Either way, if it's a bunch of apartments that all look alike they SHOULD have a bunch of boxes of this stuff in storage to fix dumb tenant issues, and it's WELL within the range of a general maintenance person to do this.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

H110Hawk posted:

Is that wood or something like vinyl plank? If there is any kind of synthetic coating on top you're never going to restore or hide it if they do any kind of halfassed inspection after you've moved out. I would prepare to pay for that unfortunately. If it's pure wood you could try sanding it, but I don't see any wood grain remaining which leads me to agree with your assessment that it's a manufactured product. Could just be a crappy picture.

The good news is they should be able to just replace those 4 planks you damaged. If it is wood with a veneer and not something that clicks together (which given the gap shown is doubtful) it shouldn't be more than a few hours of work plus materials. If it clicks together it might be a whole days work since they need to unclick it from the wall to your damage to replace it. Either way, if it's a bunch of apartments that all look alike they SHOULD have a bunch of boxes of this stuff in storage to fix dumb tenant issues, and it's WELL within the range of a general maintenance person to do this.

All makes a lot of sense, many thanks for sharing the wisdom
There are 32 identical apartments in this building alone, and browsing the internet leads me to believe that this is a very common type of flooring. I guess I'll just have to be a little more careful next time when it comes to buying desk chairs
I wonder what they'll quote me for the repair work :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At least in the US, you can buy plastic mats that you put down underneath office chairs to keep them from scuffing up the floor like that. The plastic is more durable than rugs for this kind of thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You can also buy rollerblade style wheels for your chairs that are smoother and easier on floors.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It was the central cylinder that did it, so the plastic mat would hopefully have shown the damage before our goon friend gooned through the floor with it. :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, lol. I misread what happened. Crazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mutata posted:

You can also buy rollerblade style wheels for your chairs that are smoother and easier on floors.

I have these and they are excellent.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah that's definitely a good idea, though they won't be compatible with all chairs. expensive chairs like the aeron will come with a quiet roll rubber caster

also if you do get them make sure they are the same diameter as your current wheels

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Since the damage erased the grain pattern, it's probably a composite and not actually 'wood' (depending on your definition of 'wood').

If you're a good artist you could try painting the grain pattern over the damage to match. I have a painter who did that once to hide a drain clean-out cover set into a laminate plank floor, it was very impressive. I know this isn't a real suggestion.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Is there a reliable way to kill bamboo that doesn't involve digging it up?

Our property has one side where running bamboo keeps growing along a fence, and because of what's on the other side of the fence, getting access to all of the bamboo to dig it up is essentially impossible.

I've tried Roundup (which did gently caress-all), so I'm wondering if there's some way to kill the bamboo off, since repeatedly cutting/digging out the accessable stuff doesn't seem to do anything to prevent it coming right back.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Aside from nuking it from orbit: no.

Best you can do is discourage it. Get a good machete and keep it sharp.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks. That's basically what I'd figured out from some googling, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

Whichever previous homeowner planted the bamboo also put in a bunch of blackberry vines (and completely failed to contain either one), but at least there's a herbicide that kills the stupid stabby rear end in a top hat vines once I cut them back.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mix your roundup a little stronger and make sure there are leaves for you to spray it on, not just shoots. It really needs to get on green, growing leaves to work. Adding a surfactant like a squirt of dish soap can help too. It’s going to take many applications, and will probably still only kill the new stuff coming up in your yard, but it might eventually slow down the whole clump.

You can supposedly dig a trench 18” deep and put a sheet of corrugated metal roofing or something in it to make a physical barrier the roots won’t go through.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Doesn't help when there is a fence - but the only control strategy for japanese knotweed and the like that I've found works is mowing it and establishing a yard in that area. Digging it up just spreads it around, herbicides control growth but never seem to eliminate, physical barriers always seem to eventually fail in some way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is this the sort of thing you could just dump a bunch of vinegar down on to the soil and get it really acidic or will the bamboo grow even faster and stronger and strangle you the next time you walk past it?

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

This has some sheathing on it now:

I've been using a palm nailer (dubbed the stigmatamatic) to install it all. It's faster than a hammer at least. I've put some Z flashing on the bottom edge of the plywood because it's very close to the ground in some places and I don't want splashback coating the edge of the plywood every time it rains since that's at least part of how the previous shed failed. The wrap (and the bottom course of siding) will overlap the top edge of the flashing and hopefully keep it dry enough that the flashing doesn't become a little rain gutter. Here it is with the wrap roughly placed on the installed sheathing and a tarp as a roof/cover for the partially-unsheathed wall. I'm hoping this will keep it dry enough if it rains before I get the roof on:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I live in a top floor south-facing apartment with two things of note:
- pretty lovely low vermiculite ceilings
- no insulation whatsoever

So we were planning on doing like a false ceiling over the vermiculite so we can have downlights and not a ceiling that moults. But it has also occurred to us, as we have just got our latest electricity bill, hey, can we put some insulation in that false ceiling? We will have about 65mm of height to work with up there. Would that just do absolutely nothing, or would that actually make this place a lot less, uh, outdoors in the middle of the air?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Is this the sort of thing you could just dump a bunch of vinegar down on to the soil and get it really acidic or will the bamboo grow even faster and stronger and strangle you the next time you walk past it?

So far, it's resisted roundup, roundup for vines (which kills blackberries and stuff), having slurry from some concrete I laid dumped on it, 107 degree heat, zero degree temperatures, removal with a chainsaw, pickaxe, hatchet, and shovel, so I'm convinced it's loving immortal.

I suspect a lot of the problem is that just behind the fence (maybe 18 inches away) is a county irrigation canal that has water in it most of the summer, so the bamboo basically has an unlimited water and nutrient supply for the hottest part of the year, and unless I want to pull out about 50ft of fence and rent an excavator to dig out that entire strip of my yard, the bamboo probably isn't going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Please help :ohdear:

Every apartment I have had in Japan used a very soft vinyl with a wood print. I think a lot of the time they replace the floor when you move out. That doesn't mean they wont try to charge you for the damage though. You can probably peel up the damaged area and take it to a hardware store to match it. They usually use a super weak glue to hold the sheets down. I have had heavy furniture peel them off the floor just by moving it wrong.