Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My corn ended up with skinny stalks and now the ears are causing it to fall over. Staking my corn sounds silly, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. Its fertilized and watered. Maybe too crowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

mischief posted:

What all is there? Failing any goon interest my MIL may be interested.

This is best guess since I'm not super invested this year...

- 5 15 gallon bags
- 6ish 7 gallon bags
- 12 5 gallon bags/ drilled home depot buckets
- 5 2 gallon bags
-6ish 2 gallon pots

Also 10 tomato cages, various other little things.

All of it has soil and plants in it. I'm not looking to clean it up or find a place for the dirt, I'd love to just load it up and say bye.

There has been no interest so far, and I'm happy if it goes to someone goon-adjacent rather than opening it up on a facebook group. Go ahead and pass your MIL my email (username at gmail dot com)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Made all my almost-ripe maters into marinara last weekend before going on vaca for four nights figuring I bought myself a little buffer for the rest of the unripe fruit. Turns out all they needed to ripen on the vine is for me to leave.

Also first pumpkin sighting! Incentive to continue the fight against powdery mildew.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 23, 2021

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Chad Sexington posted:

Made all my almost-ripe maters into marinara last weekend before going on vaca for four nights figuring I bought myself a little buffer for the rest of the unripe fruit. Turns out all they needed to ripen on the vine is for me to leave.

Also first pumpkin sighting! Incentive to continue the fight against powdery mildew.

Keep up the good work with your pumpkins; I already lost all my squash plants to it. All I ended up with were some zucchini, a single yellow squash (the plants actually produced a bunch, but almost all of them grew to no more than 3" long before giving up and rotting in place), and a couple of acorn-style squash from a volunteer plant. None of my pumpkins ever got larger than a grape. :(

On the plus side, I've got a good number (6-8) of cantaloupe and 3-5 viable watermelons growing, the corn and peppers are doing well, and I've got a shitton of tomatoes coming in, already having harvested a lot of cherry tomatoes with more still on the vines.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

Keep up the good work with your pumpkins; I already lost all my squash plants to it. All I ended up with were some zucchini, a single yellow squash (the plants actually produced a bunch, but almost all of them grew to no more than 3" long before giving up and rotting in place), and a couple of acorn-style squash from a volunteer plant. None of my pumpkins ever got larger than a grape. :(

On the plus side, I've got a good number (6-8) of cantaloupe and 3-5 viable watermelons growing, the corn and peppers are doing well, and I've got a shitton of tomatoes coming in, already having harvested a lot of cherry tomatoes with more still on the vines.

It's the only little guy I've got and luckily he's a good distance from my raised bed which is mildew central. So I'm hoping that'll be enough to keep it safe. I just had to take off maybe a third of my leaves across two plants and sprayed a shitload of fungicide.

Nothing can stop my zucchinis though, which seem to mock me when I don't give them attention for a minute.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't think I could have done better at cultivating tomato blight this year if I had been doing it intentionally.

:negative:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't think I could have done better at cultivating tomato blight this year if I had been doing it intentionally.

In hindsight I’m really pretty happy I never got around to planting a real garden. We were 8” of rain above average for June and July will probably end up close to the same. I have a nice field of zinnias and basil instead and they seem happy as can be.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The hops are actually doing hop things. Not a ton of them but that was expected. Can't wait to see what they do next year.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thats awesome! You'll get WAY more in the next couple of years.

Mine are really struggling this year between the drought and heat and splitting them up last year. Still alive and growing but not nearly as prolific.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I found out that my pots probably have verticilium wilt in them by the fact that my cherry tomato shed all its lower leaves within weeks of reaching maturity, and my sungold are only surviving a bit better on the account of being a resistant cultivar.

Changing out all this soil from a third floor apartment will be such a chore. :saddowns:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ROJO posted:

My basil was getting wrecked by earwigs earlier in the year, absolutely decimated. But it was pretty obvious when it was happening, early evening (8-10pm) - have you seen any of them around?

A trap with cooking oil and soy sauce solved it after a handful of days.

Appreciate the advice. Set out some traps because I have noticed earwigs, but I'm thinking it might be Japanese beetles since I've caught a handful of them. Might try setting up some beetle traps and seeing what happens, but at this point my basil is mostly hosed either way.

Pests have been unbelievably frustrating in my garden this year.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

This is the first day after I applied the Neem oil to solve my mildew problem on cucumber.

On the second day I trimmed some of the severely damaged ones.

I ended up playing it safe on the third day and trim most the noticable spots on the leaves.
There's a lot of missing leaves in the left side but it will probably end up alright.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

You'll be fine. Cucumbers are really resistant to trimming and basically everything except a handful of actual diseases that just outright murder them. I bet those cucumbers that just look like bare vines right now will be producing like crazy within two weeks.

You've got what looks like great airflow on that trellis and that's the best thing you can do to prevent the mildew from really taking hold.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

You'll be fine. Cucumbers are really resistant to trimming and basically everything except a handful of actual diseases that just outright murder them. I bet those cucumbers that just look like bare vines right now will be producing like crazy within two weeks.

You've got what looks like great airflow on that trellis and that's the best thing you can do to prevent the mildew from really taking hold.

All of this, those are probably more healthy than normal cuces now....if those flowers stay on you're looking at a bumper crop.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

We had a ton of rain near Chicago and created a real humid environment for a week. That's probably where the mildew came from.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hi all, i'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to diagnosing what's up with the basic plants in my garden and was wondering if anyone might have a clue as to what i'm looking at.

We had new turf and cherry laurel hedging put in recently. The turf is just a month old and the laurels were planted about a week ago.

For the turf, there's this brown patch that's started to appear after the laurel was planted and it looks to be spreading from the outer edge. It's been quite hot recently (21 odd degrees C on some days) but i've made sure to water the lawn a lot during that first month and then every couple of days since the laurel was planted to keep that hydrated on days where there's no rain due.

For the laurel, i noticed almost right away that one or two of the leaves were yellow/orange and now a few more leaves like that are appearing across the others (near the bottom mostly). There's a few holes in some of the leaves too where i'm guessing bugs have eaten them.

The landscaper came round to finish the lawn while we were out so i didn't see how he put the white chip stones (he did those at the same time as the laurel), so he might have been standing all over that patch of turf for all i know rather than the neighbours driveway.

Basically i'm trying to understand if there's anything i should be worried about in terms of disease or whatnot. With the turf only being down for a month and the laurels a week, i was hoping not to see anything yellowing yet.

Grass

Cherry Laurel Hedging

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Went looking for an espalier pear tree today. In short screw Monrovia for never getting back to their distributors.

Spoke with a couple of nurseries and one will try to do a special order for me, and another will let me call and get in line.

Garden has been pretty good this year. I might post some photos, but ya know, it's SA.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kin posted:

Hi all, i'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to diagnosing what's up with the basic plants in my garden and was wondering if anyone might have a clue as to what i'm looking at.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694&perpage=40&noseen=1

You might want the landscaping thread. A fair number of people in here would just suggest you had put in a garden instead of lawn, but you’ll catch better info in that thread.

My entire “lawn” is just a patch of dead grass right now as it hasn’t rained in a month and I refuse to water it. And the moles just dig it up anyway. Yours honestly just looks like the grass in that spot isn’t happy with being transplanted and wants more water, but I really don’t know and it could be dying back for other temperature or season conditions.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jhet posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694&perpage=40&noseen=1

You might want the landscaping thread. A fair number of people in here would just suggest you had put in a garden instead of lawn, but you’ll catch better info in that thread.

My entire “lawn” is just a patch of dead grass right now as it hasn’t rained in a month and I refuse to water it. And the moles just dig it up anyway. Yours honestly just looks like the grass in that spot isn’t happy with being transplanted and wants more water, but I really don’t know and it could be dying back for other temperature or season conditions.

Amazing thanks. I'd have never thought to differentiate it in that way. Landscaping to me, from my limited experience, is getting stuff like a patio or planters put in rather than the health of grass or the hedges or whatever.

I'll try giving it a bit more water, but it's had the same amount as the rest of the lawn (which has the lush green colour and is growing stupid fast) so it just seemed weird that one tiny patch would be dying.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

wonky cucumber. sex toy-lookin rear end cucumber. obscene. they are all growing like this and i don't know why! tasty tho

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chard posted:

wonky cucumber. sex toy-lookin rear end cucumber. obscene. they are all growing like this and i don't know why! tasty tho

inferior Azerbaijanian cucumber

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Platystemon posted:

inferior Azerbaijanian cucumber

they're suyo long cucumbers which are supposed to be bendy but these guys are going all out. chill out, cucumbers

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Chard posted:

According to one source: "f your watering regime is adequate, the fruit on zucchini or cucumbers has straight sides, without ‘waistlines’. Narrower places in these fruit show there was a period when the water supply wasn’t quite sufficient."

I have no idea though what sort of water sports you need to be into to get that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

now i feel bad for kinkshaming my cucumbers. truly i am laid low

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Probably a pollination problem tbh

Your plants aren't showing signs of wilting or other evidence of stress, right? All my cucumbers came out freaky like that when my plants were in the process of dying to bacterial wilt. Surprisingly tasty, though.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Talking about cucumbers, I'm at wits end with these cucumber beetles. They've killed two of my cucumber plants and a kabocha pumpkin plant. I've tried a a sticky trap which caught a bunch and a bunch of other bugs. What other options do I have? It is probably just too late for this year to salvage.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

I’m no help but got any more pictures of that rolls? :swoon:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Feeling pretty proud of all these tomato plants I grew from seed.

Thanks to whoever suggested doing a Florida weave for supporting them it's working great and I can get in-between each row to trim as opposed to the tomato jungle I had last year.

There's 4 or 5 "volunteer" plants scattered around the in the bed and other parts of the yard as well.

Made a soaker hose by taking a hammer and nail to a length of old lovely garden hose. Watering is a breeze now.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
My tomatoes got way too bushy and grew way too fast for the Florida weave :( I can’t keep up with them at all.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My surviving bucket tomato has the stature of a lollipop after a bunch of septoria and then kind of getting away from me at the top of the tomato cage

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Dumb question, but is there a basic reason why my plants would be generally stunted? I set up new raised garden beds this year, and the soil I ordered was supposed to have a lot of compost, but it seems to me to be pretty lacking in organic matter.

Like, my corn only grew up to 18" to 2' (except for the one in the foreground that is like 3' tall). It should be like 6 ft tall now. My pepper plants grow very little after transplanting. My bush beans were very yellow and stunted (for other legumes, long beans and snap peas seem to do really well).

Here is a photo of the corn, and a very struggling pepper plant:

It gets OK sun, probably 8-3 or 4 every tday.

(my cauliflower is looking pretty good though)

gvibes fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 26, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

My tomatoes got way too bushy and grew way too fast for the Florida weave :( I can’t keep up with them at all.

Yeah I was diligently doing the Florida weave for the first couple of feet, but they subsequently exploded in size and now they've basically taken over half of my garden. Totally filling in walkway spaces, sticking branches out where they don't belong. Half the ones that grow bigger fruit are bent in half in strange ways and kind of woven together.

Producing a shitload of fruit still. More than I've been able to process so far. Next year I think I'll scale down from 8 plants to 4 for sure. I've never gotten production like this in the community garden, so I definitely overcompensated.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gvibes posted:

Dumb question, but is there a basic reason why my plants would be generally stunted? I set up new raised garden beds this year, and the soil I ordered was supposed to have a lot of compost, but it seems to me to be pretty lacking in organic matter.

Like, my corn only grew up to 18" to 2' (except for the one in the foreground that is like 3' tall). It should be like 6 ft tall now. My pepper plants grow very little after transplanting. My bush beans were very yellow and stunted (for other legumes, long beans and snap peas seem to do really well).

Did you fertilize at all? Corn is a very heavy feeder and likes lots of nitrogen which may be lacking in your soil. Even if it was super rich soil, corn would still appreciate some extra nitrogen. The legumes doing well would fit since they can fix their own nitrogen.

Cottonseed meal is a good high nitrogen organic fertilizer, or good ole fashioned urea/ammonium nitrate.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Corn piss drinkers

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Did you fertilize at all? Corn is a very heavy feeder and likes lots of nitrogen which may be lacking in your soil. Even if it was super rich soil, corn would still appreciate some extra nitrogen. The legumes doing well would fit since they can fix their own nitrogen.

Cottonseed meal is a good high nitrogen organic fertilizer, or good ole fashioned urea/ammonium nitrate.

I've had similar issues with growing sweet corn before (stunted + insect issues). I switched to flint corn (glass gem) last year and it grew well (6ft), was insect resistant, and made for good popcorn. This year, I interspersed rows with legumes (New Mexico bolita beans) and the improvement has been phenomenal. First pic is showing 10+ ft at the peaks of the tallest. Second and third picture are from last year's harvest.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gvibes posted:

How hot has it been and how windy? Corn will be stunted if it's too windy and there's not a break (which is why you plant extra rows in a big garden of course). The peppers look like it's not been hot enough, not enough nutrients, and maybe too much water even? If you can poke down an inch and it's still moist, you should only lightly water, they're okay with some semi-dry days usually and it helps them uptake nutrients better when they get watered.

Blood meal is another good nitrogen rich fertilizer that I like to use.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

How do I know when my corn is ready to be picked?
I’ve hand pollinated it like every other day for the past week but I’m not really sure how to know that they’re ready

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

When you pinch the tops it'll feel flat. Also when the edges of the husks are starting to get dry. Also when it looks good enough for eating.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Thanks all.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have fed a few times, but pretty lightly, with a 5-1-1 fish emulsion. I had thought about the legume point, but the bush beans all failing throws me.

Jhet posted:

How hot has it been and how windy? Corn will be stunted if it's too windy and there's not a break (which is why you plant extra rows in a big garden of course). The peppers look like it's not been hot enough, not enough nutrients, and maybe too much water even? If you can poke down an inch and it's still moist, you should only lightly water, they're okay with some semi-dry days usually and it helps them uptake nutrients better when they get watered.

Blood meal is another good nitrogen rich fertilizer that I like to use.
Not very hot (for zone 5), not windy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gvibes posted:

Not very hot (for zone 5), not windy.

That's probably it. If it gets up into 80F the peppers will perk up and grow if they aren't shaded by anything. It was a cold June for me and the fresh starts of mine looked like that until a couple weeks ago. Now they're all getting big, but still behind the wintered plants.