Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
what's the deal with Takashi Yoshida? He's been jobbing to the younger members of the roster like U-T and SB KENTo. Is he Dragon Gate dad status or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Something in Dragon Gate that has persisted over the years is that guys who aren't quite at the top level of talent get saddled with either comedy gimmicks, or become the bottom guy of whatever unit they're in, or both. Guys like Shachihoko Boy, Mondai Ryu, and Punch Tominaga have been at this status for years. Before Takashi Yoshida got unmasked a few years ago he was Cyber Kong, a big dumb masked heel who drew abs on his gut. He kinda sucked and was usually an enforcer for just about every major heel faction. Unmasking sort of raised his status, and they still put Twin and Triangle belts on him, but his position is still basically the same as a big midcarder who puts over better talent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

28/7/2021, Wednesday

7pm JST/9pm AEDT/11am BST/6am EST/3am PST

NOAH Kongo Box Office DIAMOND4 Kongo vs NOAH
Club Citta, Kawasaki
X vs X
Tadasuke vs X
Nioh vs X
Haoh vs X
Manabu Soya vs X
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs X
Kenoh vs X
Live on Wrestle Universe

Just to confirm, this show is on in 3.5 hours?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Yep that's right, looking forward to catching up with it when I get home from work tonight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Woohoo! The four best words to read in a post about NOAH/DDT/TJPW: Live on Wrestle Universe

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Yes but Manabu Soya has an eye infection so is off the card.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/hikaru310paipan/status/1420017632795926530?s=19

Minoru Suzuki is working Hard Hit's Kawasaki Stadium show on August 22nd against his friend/Piledriver employee Rocky Kawamura with the stipulation that Kawamura retires if he loses.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/hikaru310paipan/status/1420017632795926530?s=19

Minoru Suzuki is working Hard Hit's Kawasaki Stadium show on August 22nd against his friend/Piledriver employee Rocky Kawamura with the stipulation that Kawamura retires if he loses.

Those are some "graphic design is my passion" graphics

Wasn't Rocky Kawamura the one who had a weird boxing gimmick match with Takashi Sugiura last year?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apparently thanks to the mask, Aleja's weight will forever be a mystery.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Those are some "graphic design is my passion" graphics

Wasn't Rocky Kawamura the one who had a weird boxing gimmick match with Takashi Sugiura last year?

That's the guy, yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So Japan is just the land of the world's most beautiful dropkicks, eh?

Edit: Well now I have an answer to if Kenoh will stop being angry when he wins a big match. The answer is... he appears to be even angrier now.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 28, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

So Japan is just the land of the world's most beautiful dropkicks, eh?

Edit: Well now I have an answer to if Kenoh will stop being angry when he wins a big match. The answer is... he appears to be even angrier now.

Asking Kenoh to not be angry is like asking him to have hair that makes any sense at all.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kongo's Produce show started slow with the junior matches but the last three matches more than made up for it, they were fuckin sick

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lily Catts posted:

what's the deal with Takashi Yoshida? He's been jobbing to the younger members of the roster like U-T and SB KENTo. Is he Dragon Gate dad status or something?

In addition to what's been said, back when he was Cyber Kong, he was the semi-annual filler challenger for Babyface Dream Gate champs, where he'd be heated up for a month winning singles matches when actual challengers were busy doing other stuff or being saved for big shows.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Pretty much. Around the VerserK days people would just be like "welp, time for Cyber Kong's annual ill-fated push again".

I missed a bunch of pandemic DG but I'm pretty sure I'll have time to get current by Yoshino's retirement match this weekend. Watching just the big events and skipping most of the multi-man tag cards in between makes some of the newer DG Trueborns seem like they came out of nowhere though. I like a lot of the new guys, but it seems like their one idea for giving nearly every rookie a new character in the past few years has been "show up in a mask, turn heel, join RED". They did it with Ben-K, Ishida, HYO, KENTo, and Kikuta now (also maybe Yoshioka because I suspect he's Dia Inferno).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Heads up, but I may not get up the puro schedule this week. Between battling an ear infection & having a keyboard that doesn't have functioning space bar or Alt key will likely make writing it up infuriating.

May go for a simplified schedule which doesn't list the matches, assuming it doesn't drive too bonkers. New laptop should arrive before too long.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

On the other hand, while I'm currently melting I'm watching NOAH 11/7 & the opening two matches have been fun young boy escapades. Really want Mochi vs Kinya Okada in a Singles Match.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can anyone tell me about the AJPW juniors? I like Francesco Akira, and I found Koji Iwamoto cool in his match with Kento, so I want to watch more of them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

Watching just the big events and skipping most of the multi-man tag cards in between makes some of the newer DG Trueborns seem like they came out of nowhere though.

Following up to say gently caress I love Masquerade. There really hasn't been a unit entirely made up of kickass young new talent tearing up the card since Millennials, and I love to see it. They're basically what I wanted to see the younger half of Over Generation do after they disbanded. I'm sure a lot of people thought their push came too soon, but I think it's perfect timing after the end of a year-long generation war. If they're going to add anyone, I hope it's one of the afore-mentioned RED rookies turning face and not someone older.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PKDX/status/1420738380401418242?s=20

From this morning, Original Tiger Mask's 40th anniversary show, featuring Masakatsu Funaki vs Masashi Takeda in a match I didn't know I needed but definitely do. Now need to find out where/when it airs.

Also from just writing this post using ctrl+v for spaces, this would add about 2 hours to how long it takes so the schedule isn't happening until Amazon post me a new keyboard.

Lily Catts posted:

Can anyone tell me about the AJPW juniors? I like Francesco Akira, and I found Koji Iwamoto cool in his match with Kento, so I want to watch more of them.

What do you want to know? It's a lot less chaotic than NOAH and doesn't have the starpower of NJPW but I have a fondness for the All Japan juniors, there's some good young talent there. A good starting place would be the Junior Battle of Glory tournament that happened last month over 2 days & is on AJPW.TV.

Obviously Akira Francesco is a great young prospect, Evolution has Dan Tamura, Total Eclipse has Hokuto Omori who has really stepped up being a smug little poo poo since joining Enfants/TE, NEXTREAM has Atsuki Aoyagi, the younger brother of Yuma, & Rising HAYATO who is from Ehime on Shikoku & wrestles for Ehime Pro but is on a sort of domestic excursion to AJPW IIRC? Then of the older guys you have Hikaru Sato in Evolution who is pretty rad, Izanagi & UTAMARO in Purple Haze with Izanagi definitely the more prominent, Black Menso~re thinks he's a snake, Total Eclipse has the sleazy looking Yusuke Kodama who I think is a fun character, & then you get to people who don't show up quite so often like Fuminori Abe, Alejandro, CIMA, Seigo Tachibana, SUGI, & uhhhhh Carbell Ito who is a guy who runs a company whose logo you often see at AJPW events as he's a sponsor & I guess he's living out his dream as a mediocre wrestler. Oh, there's Chikara too unfortunately, who is Rikidozan's grandson & is really bad & if you watch DDT you'll have seen him in Sanshiro Takagi's team of failsons.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Schedule in extreme brief
Saturday 31st July
ChocoPro, Ice Ribbon, TJPW (Tokyo Princess Cup), Freedoms featuring some Ice Ribbon talent, Dragon Gate's Kobe Pro Wrestling Festival featuring Eita vs Kota Minoura, the Tag, Trios, Brave & Open The Dream Gate Titles in what'll be a show of the year contender, Big Japan double header, Stardom with opening night of the 5 Star GP, DDT & NJPW Korakuen
Sunday 1st August
Zero1 Fire Festival Final, BJW double header, Ice Ribbon, Oz Academy, Ganbare, Diana, 2AW, Stardom 5 Star GP, Dragon Gate Speedstar Finale with the retirement match of Masato Yoshino, & all 4 belts being defended again!, NOAH, with Heavyweight, Jr & Jr Tag belts all on the line, DDT, Wave & NJPW.
Nothing but Colega Monday & Tuesday
Wednesday 4th
GLEAT G PROWRESTLING Ver.2
Thursday 5th
NOAH at Korakuen
Friday 6th
NOAH at Korakuen, Wave

To see start times & lineups you can check here for everything

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I'm excited for a big Dragon Gate weekend. I even took work off to be able to watch live lol.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Is this the week I finally watch Dragon Gate after I’ve been meaning to for awhile? Probably not but I like to believe.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'd highly recommend it. Kzy vs Shun is going to be rad

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I need to believe that it's finally Kzy Time.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

I need to believe that it's finally Kzy Time.

Luckily YAMATO is there the next night to put a stop to that nonsense.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

What do you want to know? It's a lot less chaotic than NOAH and doesn't have the starpower of NJPW but I have a fondness for the All Japan juniors, there's some good young talent there. A good starting place would be the Junior Battle of Glory tournament that happened last month over 2 days & is on AJPW.TV.

Obviously Akira Francesco is a great young prospect, Evolution has Dan Tamura, Total Eclipse has Hokuto Omori who has really stepped up being a smug little poo poo since joining Enfants/TE, NEXTREAM has Atsuki Aoyagi, the younger brother of Yuma, & Rising HAYATO who is from Ehime on Shikoku & wrestles for Ehime Pro but is on a sort of domestic excursion to AJPW IIRC? Then of the older guys you have Hikaru Sato in Evolution who is pretty rad, Izanagi & UTAMARO in Purple Haze with Izanagi definitely the more prominent, Black Menso~re thinks he's a snake, Total Eclipse has the sleazy looking Yusuke Kodama who I think is a fun character, & then you get to people who don't show up quite so often like Fuminori Abe, Alejandro, CIMA, Seigo Tachibana, SUGI, & uhhhhh Carbell Ito who is a guy who runs a company whose logo you often see at AJPW events as he's a sponsor & I guess he's living out his dream as a mediocre wrestler. Oh, there's Chikara too unfortunately, who is Rikidozan's grandson & is really bad & if you watch DDT you'll have seen him in Sanshiro Takagi's team of failsons.

This is a lot of info already, thanks!

Some more questions:
1. Who's their junior ace?
2. What are the prominent rivalrys/feuds?
3. Other than the Junior Battle of Glory tournament, do they have other junior-centric tournaments?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
GLEAT's got another Lidet UWF match up, Takanori Ito vs Rionne Fujiwara

Pretty decent stuff, shorter than I expected. I don't know much about Rionne, but I can't recall ever seeing a gaijin use a Japanese surname. Apparently he's a Tajiri guy?

Dimebags Brain posted:

Luckily YAMATO is there the next night to put a stop to that nonsense.
Let him just have this one. :cry:

I'm all current with DG now, can't wait for this weekend. Really liking the 2nd incarnation of Natural Vibes. They finally figured out something for U-T to do. Shimizu's a good fit too, but it feels transitional for him since this is like his fifth gimmick in the past year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

This is a lot of info already, thanks!

Some more questions:
1. Who's their junior ace?
2. What are the prominent rivalrys/feuds?
3. Other than the Junior Battle of Glory tournament, do they have other junior-centric tournaments?

Iwamoto is probably the closest to an ace they've had since Atsushi Aoki tragically died in 2019, as well as Yusuke Okada who got pushed down the card when Akiyama left for reasons I'll never understand and is now in DDT with his mentor. That to me is still the blackest mark of the Ishikawa/TAJIRI era of booking, driving him away. After Iwamoto I'd say next on the level of seniority is probably Sato but that could be me letting my enjoyment of shootstyle get in the way. Fortunately we're out of the period 4 years ago where TAJIRI & Ultimo Dragon we're divisional linchpin. But overall I'd say the division is in transition, several outsiders have held the belt since Aoki's death, Susumu Yokosuka of Dragon Gate, CIMA, SUGI, and I'd not be shocked if another outsider either beats SUGI or else beats whoever beats SUGI before the year is done. Because I'm not sure they are ready to put the belt on Omori yet, as much I'd be cool with it, and the same goes for the other younger guys.

Prominent rivalries? There's not really any at the moment to be honest, I guess Iwamoto resents the Total Eclipse guys because he was in JIN until Jake Lee turned on them. Other than that the division is a bit light on stories unfortunately. Menso-re has a bit of a thing with Izanagi I suppose.

Tournament wise they also do the Junior Tag Battle of Glory, and coming up in August is the Royal Road knockout tournament which has both Juniors & Heavyweights involved

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The one thing I'd add is that Iwamoto is now openweight and the last junior tag battle of glory was in Hard Hit booked my Hikaru Sato

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The one thing I'd add is that Iwamoto is now openweight and the last junior tag battle of glory was in Hard Hit booked my Hikaru Sato

Yeah, that was last December right?

Hard Hit is even harder to find online than 2AW :smith:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I've been real bad about posting these, but Case and I are doing a whole Dragongate Week thing for Kobe World and Speed Star Final. Here are the links so far:

in audio, we had a near two hour show with Dragongate's English commentator/liason Jae talking about Yoshino's retirement, the weekend ahead of us, and other Dragon System related things: https://redcircle.com/shows/open-the-voice-gate/episodes/d324bc7e-5d4c-44b6-ae21-3926f2631c72

as well we had nearly two hours of preview for this weekend: https://redcircle.com/shows/open-the-voice-gate/episodes/1da71f2c-97c6-437a-851c-8f573ca2b1cb

in written words, Case put out the definitive piece on Masato Yoshino's career, including a lot of really good interviews. He's been working on this essentially since Yoshino announced his retirement and I think it's probably the best written piece on the Dragon System ever: https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2021/07/26/speed-star-the-career-of-masato-yoshino/

Jon Hernandez, who did our show a few weeks back did a really cool status update on the Class of 2016 and the Mochizuki Dojo kids: https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2021/07/29/welcome-back-mocchy-catching-up-with-the-mochizuki-dojo-kids/

I had a piece go up today talking about the Dream Gate scene and how whomever comes out of the weekend as champion will be leading the way in this next era: https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2021/07/30/three-paths-diverge-shun-skywalker-kzy-yamato-and-the-dream-gate/

We've got more stuff going up today and through this weekend and will have a big review episode of OTVG early next week.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I've been real bad about posting these, but Case and I are doing a whole Dragongate Week thing for Kobe World and Speed Star Final. Here are the links so far:

in audio, we had a near two hour show with Dragongate's English commentator/liason Jae talking about Yoshino's retirement, the weekend ahead of us, and other Dragon System related things: https://redcircle.com/shows/open-the-voice-gate/episodes/d324bc7e-5d4c-44b6-ae21-3926f2631c72

I listened to this one and I gotta say, Jae's description of the Amazon Prime Japan Wrestle Universe is loving wild.

EDIT: I made a GDT for the Dragon Gate shows this weekend. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975077

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 30, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't THINK I'll be able to catch Kobe World live, but I'll be catching up ASAP.

I'm kind of surprised Doi hasn't landed in another unit yet, unless he's waiting until after Yoshino retires. HIGH-END seems like it would be a good fit for him, especially since the only thing that could possibly fill the Speed Muscle shaped hole in my heart after this weekend would be a YAMADoi reunion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, Doi was always going to be attached to Yoshino until he retired, and then we can see where he lands unit wise.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

I listened to this one and I gotta say, Jae's description of the Amazon Prime Japan Wrestle Universe is loving wild.

there is no more important shadow broker in japanese wrestling in the age of covid as the sponge guy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, Doi was always going to be attached to Yoshino until he retired, and then we can see where he lands unit wise.

:hmmyes: Also considering it's Kobe World, I'm expecting at least a minor unit shakeup. RED's gotten way too big. For some reason I'm thinking HYO - his turn was big at the time, but it was a different RED back then, and then several other rookies joined in a similar way.

I don't see anyone else going anywhere except maybe Kikuta when he's healthy. How bad was his injury at DoA? It seemed like a separated shoulder but I never read any reports about it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

:hmmyes: Also considering it's Kobe World, I'm expecting at least a minor unit shakeup. RED's gotten way too big. For some reason I'm thinking HYO - his turn was big at the time, but it was a different RED back then, and then several other rookies joined in a similar way.

I don't see anyone else going anywhere except maybe Kikuta when he's healthy. How bad was his injury at DoA? It seemed like a separated shoulder but I never read any reports about it.

It was a nagging injury and he recovered from the DoA injury but decided to undergo surgery to deal with it on a more longterm basis, so he's out recovering from that.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1421408084220465152

Endo once again squashes Gorgeous Matsuno, and Imabayashi is unhappy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I slept in and missed the start do I guess I'll catch up tonight.

Just remember that you only have 1 week for catchup before it vanishes for months because GAORA are weird