Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Arquinsiel posted:

The idea of Trayzn facing down Abbadon and turning his cap backwards to show how serious things are is :discourse:

That's literally how we got Ravenor though. He was a throwaway line in a Ghosts book.

What book is this in? i just read the infinite and the divine, i was thinking about getting the cadia books but i dunno the order or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It's in The Gathering Storm part 1. It was published by GW rather than The Black Library, so it's a bit rough. A lot of people disliked it but it was the first time they've ever progressed the 40k lore so I kind of appreciate it.

I think it's out of print, but you can listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BedBwhDfgU4

There's also Cadia Stands by Justin Hill. It really doesn't show any of the big picture stuff though. It's more a collection of stories featuring doomed red-shirts.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's in the Fall of Cadia game sourcebook IIRC.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

I am a somewhat infrequent browser of this thread so I probably missed discussion of these, but what is the general opinion of the books in the warhammer horror line?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXljeaktnDA

TTS is going on hiatus.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, they hit it with a stasis bomb.

gently caress this company.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is there a reading order between Dark Imperium and The Great Work? I don't expect a big cross over but what order makes sense for context?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bertilak posted:

I am a somewhat infrequent browser of this thread so I probably missed discussion of these, but what is the general opinion of the books in the warhammer horror line?

Mixed bag but I've definitely enjoyed a good deal of the ones I've read and more horror flavoured novels from before the Horror line. The House of Night and Chain and Requiem Infernal are my goto recommendations

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arbite posted:

gently caress this company.

Why? They've gone out and hired talent, spent money and developed the IP over 30+ years, they're not a grotesque juggernaut like Disney or DC, I think it's entirely valid for them to protect their revenue stream and brand.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Azubah posted:

Is there a reading order between Dark Imperium and The Great Work? I don't expect a big cross over but what order makes sense for context?

I'd go with Dark Imperium first, then the other two in whatever order. There's a couple people and things that the first book introduces that come up in The Great Work.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Why? They've gone out and hired talent, spent money and developed the IP over 30+ years, they're not a grotesque juggernaut like Disney or DC, I think it's entirely valid for them to protect their revenue stream and brand.

Sounds like to me you haven't been paying attention recently because they're starting to act like Disney or DC.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Ajaxify posted:

Sounds like to me you haven't been paying attention recently because they're starting to act like Disney or DC.

Nope, just a standard corporate move to mitigate risk and protect their intellectual property assets. They're not moving aggressively to acquire other franchises or multilateral media streams, they're also acting in good faith recruiting from fans and giving fair notice about changing practices.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Is GW not entitled to the sweat of their brow?

(But seriously if we can we spare this thread the That’s Capatilism! Vs. They Don’t Have To Be Total Dicks debate that’d be Awesome it possible)

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

A free thing I like was taken away by a company that sells things I can't afford. Bleh.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The real grim darkness is the capitalism we made along the way

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Nope, just a standard corporate move to mitigate risk and protect their intellectual property assets. They're not moving aggressively to acquire other franchises or multilateral media streams, they're also acting in good faith recruiting from fans and giving fair notice about changing practices.

It can be a "standard corporate move" and still be completely boneheaded. Do you honestly feel these decisions are the best choices from the options available to GW?

Do you think GW has the IP, experience, technical competence, and ability to competently pull off a streaming service that costs as much as Disney+ or Hulu per month?

It seems to me that they saw streaming services are THE HOT NEW THING, and so they decided to jump on that money wagon by buying up all the existing talent and closing down anything that might ostensibly compete with them. Sounds like aggressive business tactics to me. Is the Warhammer community and brand really better off now that TTS is gone because WG is greedy?

I personally was exposed to 40K lore through TTS. If they kill all the fan content and then lock things behind a lovely pay service that dies in a few years, then many new players like me could be lost. There must have been better ways to monetize animations using the IP than pulling an Epic Games crossed with Disney+.
The issue, for me, is that these actions show that they remain out of touch with the player base and continue to value short term gains over a long term strategy and health of the brand. They can be acting in good faith and completely legally, and still be making the wrong decisions in multiple metrics.

Even some shitlord on the 40k reddit defended them in the same way a few days back, except... well I'll let you read it for yourself:

reddit posted:

But what about fair use?
Monetising derivative works isn't fair use. Fair use covers things like commentary, criticism, parody and satire. Making a derivative animation without any of those features and monetising it absolutely does not all under fair use.

If you want an example of fair use of GW's IP then look no further than Bruva Alfabusa's "If the Emperor had a text to speech device". This is a perfect example of parody. It take's GW's IP and changes the way it's presented to the point that it stops being simply derivative.

Here's something else to consider. What if TTS is parody and therefore fair use? Bruva Alfabusa just had his rights infringed because he can't afford financially to stand-up to GW to protect them. That's not fair, it's not right, and it didn't have to be that way.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Most of those questions are rhetorical for what it's worth. I don't want to completely derail the thread, but I'm bit upset about this situation, and I very much dislike the argument of "well it's within their rights" when it only applies to the big corporation with lots of money and lawyers.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
There goes any desire I might have had to continue reading any WH40K books or watching any other WH40K content. GW could have been more like Lucasfilm (Pre Disney) where they embraced fan works and celebrated them, but nope, gotta get every dollar they can before 3D printing finishes them off.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Immanentized posted:

hope they see this bro

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are people forgetting that this is just GW 100% returning to form?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I thought maybe they changed after nearly ruining their company with short sighted profit grabs a couple of years ago.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Are people forgetting that this is just GW 100% returning to form?

Yeah no kidding they cracked down on Damnatus the german live action fan film back in like the late 2000's this poo poo aint new.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Don't give GW money was the official motto of the actual 40k tabletop thread for quite some time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Yeah no kidding they cracked down on Damnatus the german live action fan film back in like the late 2000's this poo poo aint new.
Not even that, this is the company that tried to sue people over using the words "Space Marine" in a story, and a fan forum for having a completely original design of double headed eagle in the logo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Putting aside whether GW is right or wrong I think TTS made a bad decision. He says GW did not ask them to stop but he can't take the risk that they will sue him and he'll lose his house (to paraphrase). Except that isn't how it works. Before they do any law suit they will send him a cease and desist. So just do it until they send one then stop.

If they were going to ask him to stop they would have done so when they asked literally every other fan work that's been made. It's clearly satire and I understand not wanting to fight the legal battle to prove that, but not even waiting on a cease and desist is the wrong decision IMO.

The proof it's a misinformed decision is the fact that they still have all of their content up on their channel so it doesn't matter that he isn't making new content they are in the exact same situation as if he was. Not to mention waiting for the official cease and desist and then stopping for that reason would put even more pressure on GW from pissed off fans.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
On the other hand maybe making funny warhams videos for free becomes less fun with the proverbial Sword of Damocles hovering to take your head off. It’s not as if TTS had any sort of “Duty to the Community” to stand and fight. I wish them well.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, you could say it's satire, or you could say it's just flat out Warhammer fanfiction. It's kind of taken a similar turn to DBZA where it's felt less jokey and more earnest nowadays, and while silly stuff still happens it seems less to illuminate specific goofs about the setting and more in service of an ongoing narrative. I could see it dancing on the line just enough that the people running the show wouldn't feel comfortable going on.

But even if it would likely be ruled as parody, the fact that the people running the show felt sufficiently disenfranchised into giving up the ghost is pretty telling. Even if GW has no interest in enforcing the harsh guideline they set down and are only doing it for some sort of legal reason, there's a clear sea change in how people feel about making 40k fanworks now. And that's just kind of sad, especially when you see how hard it hits people passionate about their work like the TTS team.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

D-Pad posted:

Putting aside whether GW is right or wrong I think TTS made a bad decision. He says GW did not ask them to stop but he can't take the risk that they will sue him and he'll lose his house (to paraphrase). Except that isn't how it works. Before they do any law suit they will send him a cease and desist. So just do it until they send one then stop.

If they were going to ask him to stop they would have done so when they asked literally every other fan work that's been made. It's clearly satire and I understand not wanting to fight the legal battle to prove that, but not even waiting on a cease and desist is the wrong decision IMO.

The proof it's a misinformed decision is the fact that they still have all of their content up on their channel so it doesn't matter that he isn't making new content they are in the exact same situation as if he was. Not to mention waiting for the official cease and desist and then stopping for that reason would put even more pressure on GW from pissed off fans.

Yeah, while a lot of the points they made were daft, I do understand them not wanting to put in any more work when there's a chance of all that work being wiped.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 30, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alfa said that he will be uploading the next episode in the coming days but it's going into deep freeze after that and he's not taking down the videos u til he is forced to do so.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think that statement has put them on the hook legally in a much bigger way than continuing to produce videos until they got told specifically to stop would have.

I'm just an internet idiot but he states that he is shutting down because to his understanding Games Workshop is going hard after copyright stuff and they could be legally liable, essentially "we are infringing on their copyright and therefore at risk".

But then he basically says "but we don't want to talk to GW about it because then they might notice us and demonetize our videos and patreon", ie: "but we would like to continue to make money off something we just admitted is not legal so we just aren't going to check if that's actually okay so as not to draw attention to ourselves for as long as possible"

AND THEN they're releasing a two part final episode that they had already finished editing, so: "and here is our final release of our product that we admit we are illegally profiting off of"

Those seem like EXTREMELY bad things to say openly in a statement like this.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 30, 2021

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol, :rip: TTS and what an own goal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

hopterque posted:

:hmmyes:
Probably better to have just said nothing beyond "need to take a break". Maybe blame the rona or something.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arquinsiel posted:

:hmmyes:
Probably better to have just said nothing beyond "need to take a break". Maybe blame the rona or something.

He mentions a bunch of very compelling personal reasons to not continue for the time being anyway, like having a newborn child. Just go with that dude ahhhh.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Wasn't that partially because of German copyright laws? The discourse I remember from back then was that they allowed it but once the release came up there was something in the german laws that came up that made things a bit more complicated.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ardent Communist posted:

What book is this in? i just read the infinite and the divine, i was thinking about getting the cadia books but i dunno the order or whatever.

He chills with Cawl in Battlefleet Gothic, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWEH4sjqlmY

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 30, 2021

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cooked Auto posted:

Wasn't that partially because of German copyright laws? The discourse I remember from back then was that they allowed it but once the release came up there was something in the german laws that came up that made things a bit more complicated.

quote:

Andy Jones, legal and licensing head for Games Workshop, said this law confers rights on the creators of works that cannot be given away.

This means that the creators of Damnatus cannot assign their rights to Games Workshop even if they wanted to.

But by sanctioning the release of the film without this "assignment" Games Workshop would essentially be giving up the title to the Warhammer 40,000 intellectual property.

yeah it would have been a disaster in terms of IP rights i guess.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

hopterque posted:

I think that statement has put them on the hook legally in a much bigger way than continuing to produce videos until they got told specifically to stop would have.

I'm just an internet idiot but he states that he is shutting down because to his understanding Games Workshop is going hard after copyright stuff and they could be legally liable, essentially "we are infringing on their copyright and therefore at risk".

But then he basically says "but we don't want to talk to GW about it because then they might notice us and demonetize our videos and patreon", ie: "but we would like to continue to make money off something we just admitted is not legal so we just aren't going to check if that's actually okay so as not to draw attention to ourselves for as long as possible"

AND THEN they're releasing a two part final episode that they had already finished editing, so: "and here is our final release of our product that we admit we are illegally profiting off of"

Oh yeah I didn't even get that far into the video. Sorry but TTS is being dumb. He clearly doesn't understand what is actually going on and how this all works. Somebody mentions sword of Damocles above but as long as his videos are still up zero threat has been removed. Releasing a new video plus what he said in that statement just increases his danger.

Remember that one nerdy kid who when somebody did something really innocuous but against the rules and he flipped out and acted like somebody was shooting up heroin at his house with his parents in the next room and no amount of reasoning could calm him down and his response ended up making it worse? Brufa is that kid.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

hopterque posted:

He mentions a bunch of very compelling personal reasons to not continue for the time being anyway, like having a newborn child. Just go with that dude ahhhh.

Someone did raise a compelling point on that, at least - the fact the backlash is this bad only when it's free content stopping is telling about the community's intent with the backlash. See the significant backlash to Sodaz joining up with GW (and hence not releasing more free work) and the relative nonreaction when that backlash was enough to get Sodaz to quit doing paid work, too. For the vast majority of the community it was never about "GW being too protective of their IP" or any nuanced takes; it's "daddy's taking away my free toys ahhhhh". (For clarity since this could read as bootlicking, gently caress IP law and its abuses, GW is 100% in the moral wrong even if they're legally right, but I'm not broken up by artists choosing not to publish their own work. Alfa included.)

Alfa did the smart thing, saw the Sodaz backlash, and timed it well enough that he could divert blame to GW. Zero chance he would have stopped if it wasn't so easy to redirect the anger away from him right now. And of course, this route leaves the future "return to great fanfare" option open.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In reality he just admitted to copyright infringement and GW can bring a legal case, point to that admission, and declare that any money he's made from the project at all is "damages" and then ask for punitive action on top of that.

He "did the smart thing" in that when you're already on the tightrope above the shark tank you may as well spark a joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

He "did the smart thing" in that when you're already on the tightrope above the shark tank you may as well spark a joint.

... We can qualify it as "the smartest of an array of dumb things", if that's better for accuracy. Took the route that wouldn't have him getting harassed by his community from all corners while in the middle of raising a newborn child.