Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No one goes after Miro and the TNT title. Miro and the TNT Title goes after them

God, I love Miro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

A really nice interview with Nick Gage by Van Vliet. Not sure what to say but he's a good conversationalist and appears to be a nice guy based on the interview.

https://youtu.be/AdWieXlNdqw

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Maybe people would give a poo poo about Christian as a title contender if they gave him a live mic for once and let him make us care.

His run so far has been deeply disappointing to me considering he was most of the reason I enjoyed TNA. He won Champion of the Month here for a whole mess of months in a row, if memory serves. He could carry a promotion back then. I have zero doubt he's capable of carrying one PPV.

But neither he, nor AEW have shown us that in this run.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Maybe people would give a poo poo about Christian as a title contender if they gave him a live mic for once and let him make us care.

His run so far has been deeply disappointing to me considering he was most of the reason I enjoyed TNA. He won Champion of the Month here for a whole mess of months in a row, if memory serves. He could carry a promotion back then. I have zero doubt he's capable of carrying one PPV.

Miro vibes with this post.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Christian has been doing some great character work with Jungle Boy and had a great match with Matt Hardy I'm down with whatever they want to do with him, he's still great.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I think it is, again, AEW doing a lower key story to normalize a roster addition and not having to heat them up even if they could because they have other stuff on top.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We've seen them do this with Miro and Sting already and however you feel about what they were doing with those guys prior to flipping the switch, when they flipped the switch, it took off very quickly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

what are you talking about he's had a live mic like a dozen times

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

We've seen them do this with Miro and Sting already and however you feel about what they were doing with those guys prior to flipping the switch, when they flipped the switch, it took off very quickly.

Dad Sting has honestly been one of my favorite incarnations of Sting

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Dad Sting has honestly been one of my favorite incarnations of Sting

The one thing I don't like about it is that Sting supplanted Moxley as Darby's Dad. Moxley and Darby haven't interacted a single time since Sting debuted. :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

The one thing I don't like about it is that Sting supplanted Moxley as Darby's Dad. Moxley and Darby haven't interacted a single time since Sting debuted. :(

Moxley has a real kid now and had another son with another company. He needed to dump Darby or he'd become Dustin.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Moxley has a real kid now and had another son with another company. He needed to dump Darby or he'd become Dustin.

Shooter now has one dad wanting to destroy another of his dads. Poor kid

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Christian should come out for weeks on end and be interrupted by Team Taz.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Nov 15th 1999

Told you this one would come about faster. Actually this is a little slower than I would've preferred, but the second dose of vaxx got me. WCW couldn't help but improve on last week's possible worst ever episode, but there's still plenty of bad here to gawk at, including more bad finishes, more bad comedy and wacky shenanigans, and more SEGMENTS, plus one digression that once more has me flagging this vid as semi-NSFW! I hid all the explicit visuals but maybe don't listen to this in front of your co-workers or family, OK? Not as many chances for silly editing, or for keeping good promos in, but hey, that means these take less time, right? Next vid, we're taking a break from Russo Nitros to have a look at a Russo Impact, one of the B&V episodes I've relistened to the most for some reason.

I haven't re-watched this one super closely after my edit so if there's some flaws lemme know.

FEATURING: Full plate armour, laced brownies, Midnight Dong, being booked to be dumb, another bad Nitro Girls fake fight, Groupon, math, another terrible finish, Oklahoma getting destroyed, and lots more!

THE VIDEO: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x831lwf

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
These videos a nice reminder that part of the reason the 90s were so big for 90s reasons was because Kimberly and Spice existed.

I have zero memory of Nash's dress ups but God it does bring back memories of why WCW failed so hard - they treated WCW, the company, as a joke which worked for nWo initially but God drat does it make the company really "why the gently caress should we care".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lid posted:

Christian should come out for weeks on end and be interrupted by Team Taz.

:blastu:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Big lols at Dave acting all concerned like AEW might only sell 4,000 tickets for the United Centre

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

also the gage/jericho review reminds me of my favourite genre of Dave rating, which is “This match was honesty hard to watch, with the head drops and high angle bumps, these kind of things are escalating and it’s going to end in someone getting their career ended or worse. ******1/2”

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah, I agree with dave on that one. The best matches are the ones that are recklessly dangerous.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i agree too but the juxtaposition of his review and rating is hilarious sometimes

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
There's just a visceral emotional experience to watching the more dangerous stuff that's exciting and scary and fun. Everybody's got a line, the Gage/Jericho match didn't go past mine, but there is stuff out there that does. Ideally if you get just up to the line for the most people possible and it's a lot safer than it seems you can hit that sweet spot and do something really exciting.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dave has gone full mark about that fake dominos story lol

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

dave has gone full mark about that fake dominos story lol

Is this on a podcast or on the board?

E: oh, Twitter

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1420887112849625089?s=19

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I said something and everyone disagreed but then an unrelated thing happened and it proves I'm right god damnit

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Wasn't that article super Sus too?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Generico posted:

Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Nov 15th 1999

Fun episode. I think the most shocking thing was hearing Vampiro never learned to take a flat back bump.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Fun episode. I think the most shocking thing was hearing Vampiro never learned to take a flat back bump.

Both he and Konnan never got properly trained. The two arguable biggest stars in Mexico in the 90s!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Both he and Konnan never got properly trained. The two arguable biggest stars in Mexico in the 90s!

"I must apologize for Vampiro. You see, we trained him wrong, as a joke."

Edit: Also I'm reminded of on Deadlock they were confused at how Flair wouldn't take a flat back bump and I guess it's just not really remembered that his back has been hosed up since that plane crash in the 70s.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 30, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for another video so soon! It will never tire hearing them poo poo and make fun of WCW. And judging by it all there is so much too.

Goldberg is no longer undefeated by doors though

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is this on a podcast or on the board?

E: oh, Twitter

newsletter too

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gumball Gumption posted:

I said something and everyone disagreed but then an unrelated thing happened and it proves I'm right god damnit
He literally said on the podcast that wrestling is "a dirty sleazy business" and AEW has "enemies" that will try to concern troll sponsors, and kept trailing off and not quite saying "WWE has done this before and is doing it again" so he did pretty much say this was going to happen.

Which has led some to suggest perhaps Meltzer himself is copcalling, as a dirty and sleazy enemy of AEW.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

Big lols at Dave acting all concerned like AEW might only sell 4,000 tickets for the United Centre

Lol

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I find Christian pretty boring right now but I get the feeling they’re waiting to turn him heel and feud with Jungle Boy or Hangman, and that’s going to be awesome

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

also the gage/jericho review reminds me of my favourite genre of Dave rating, which is “This match was honesty hard to watch, with the head drops and high angle bumps, these kind of things are escalating and it’s going to end in someone getting their career ended or worse. ******1/2”

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1421151788472750084

Another Dave opinion that aged well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, he quickly agreed with Bryan that they could wait and announce Punk later if sales were flagging

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean running 4 shows in a market in the span of a month is risky and can end up burning a market out. So it is a concern, just that AEW is so hot and CM Punk's comeback is a legit draw they ended up selling at of tickets.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, he quickly agreed with Bryan that they could wait and announce Punk later if sales were flagging

It’s also a function of Dave’s weird literal robot brain not thinking they’ve announced CM Punk will be there unless they actually say the words “CM Punk is appearing on this card”

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

StarkRavingMad posted:

It’s also a function of Dave’s weird literal robot brain not thinking they’ve announced CM Punk will be there unless they actually say the words “CM Punk is appearing on this card”

CM Punk Presents AEW Rampage: CM Punk’s First Dance featuring CM Punk, A CM Punk Joint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Edge & Christian posted:

He literally said on the podcast that wrestling is "a dirty sleazy business" and AEW has "enemies" that will try to concern troll sponsors, and kept trailing off and not quite saying "WWE has done this before and is doing it again" so he did pretty much say this was going to happen.

Which has led some to suggest perhaps Meltzer himself is copcalling, as a dirty and sleazy enemy of AEW.

If he knew that makes that awful segment makes sense. It was like 10 minutes of “well they could lose sponsors”