Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Renegret posted:

I went years thinking all of my problems would go away with a softphone.

After a year of actually using a softphone, I miss my desk phone.

The problem, really, is that the avaya software is absolute dogshit.

lmao plain old digital (not VOIP) desk phones are the only thing Avaya actually does really well. The more hi-tech the Avaya product the more dogshit it is. I say this as someone who works on IP Office systems daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having an analogue audio jack that supports a headset doesn't really help with much tbh, you lose so much functionality that you'd get back with a proper USB headset that it's not worth it. If you're out of USB ports then get a dock/hub/monitor with a built-in hub/whatever.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My wired headset has a volume control and a hardware mute switch (flip up the mic to mute). It doesn’t need any more features

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I assume(d) it does and I am just not seeing it because I take yalls word for it that all macs have one. I have a hunch but years of tech support has taught me that blindly inserting plugs in holes is a good way to end up as a horror story

So you’re just being lazy instead of going to Apple menu -> about this Mac and googling the model number for its specs? Or checking Audio MIDI Devices for what’s on board?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

luminalflux posted:

So you’re just being lazy instead of going to Apple menu -> about this Mac and googling the model number for its specs? Or checking Audio MIDI Devices for what’s on board?

Quite a bit of, as I already mentioned, too poor to spend money on poo poo my employers are too cheap to provide the proper gear for so I don't care enough to put forth the effort, and I was just bitching.

Its a mbp 2018, for the record. Idiots are willing to pay for that, but not any peripherals to go with it, and don't pay me enough to even pay my bills. If I don't have the gear already (and, again, as I already mentioned, i do not have a 3.5mm headset with mic... Who has that laying around their house since the advent of usb headsets?) Its not happening, which is why the comment that set this all off was me saying that they had to wait for the bluetooth headsets that I do own to power on and reconnect.

All of this has already been stated, even if I didn't think it was necessary to spell it out in fine detail like this because I don't care, and never cared, someone just latched onto it and decided I had a major issue because it might be causing my cheap rear end company some inconvenience and apparently I should be resolving that out of my own pocket

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

devmd01 posted:

my mac is 1866da18059c, does that help?

That does not address the issue

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh my god it's already happening.

Outgoing IT guy still hasn't done the O365 email migration. Owner asked for a Distribution List, to which I said "no problem" because what kind of webmail provider wouldn't have such a feature, right?

I've apparently been spoiled by competent IT solutions. I discovered our webmail doesn't support adding DL's to the GAL.

"Hey <owner>, the webmail doesn't support this feature"

"I can do it in Outlook, why can't you do it on the server?"

"With IMAP, Outlook rules are not the server, that's a client-side rule you've created. The feature is not supported."

"Can't you set up auto-forwarding?"

"The auto-forward limit on the mailboxes is 5 addresses"

"Oh good, just set up a tiered system where the main mailbox forwards to other mailboxes which forward to the recipients"

So yeah I just finished setting up this loving bullshit kludge-rear end daisy chain of mailboxes and auto-forwarding. I told him (diplomatically) to knock this poo poo off until we migrate because it's a dick to manage.

The fuckin' Freshdesk deployment is working out great though, sent the reply with the outline of the kludge, set that poo poo to resolved and went out for a cigarette.

Lessons learned: Don't give the user enough information that they can figure out bullshit kludges; end the conversation before it starts by saying simply "This feature is not supported" and no elaboration whatsoever. Unfortunately this guy is smart enough to do that on his own; he alleges he was a CIO somewhere or other, though how the gently caress he got there is a mystery to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the best lessons I've been able to hammer into people is that it's absolutely fine to tell clients that what they want can't be done - just say it quickly rather than dragging it out for two weeks saying "maybe" and then changing your mind.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

One of the best lessons I've been able to hammer into people is that it's absolutely fine to tell clients that what they want can't be done - just say it quickly rather than dragging it out for two weeks saying "maybe" and then changing your mind.

Seriously.

I think as IT enthusiasts, we spend so much of our own private time trying to make weird things work that we get in the mindset of "if someone asks me to do something, there's got to be a way, I just need to figure it out, no matter how long it takes" when the answer should just be a straight up "No." I know telling people "No" makes all of us (most of us) uncomfortable, but I swear to every single person reading this that if you say "No" enough times not only will it become as easy as saying "Yes" but it will also save you from the infinite number of headaches you create for yourself by always trying to solve every problem that is thrown at you.

Yes, by the most literal definition, nearly every problem that is given to you will have a technical solution, but you're operating in the context of a business, and every second you spend trying to hack something together for someone who wants some janky loving solution costs money. Remind yourself that even if they don't realize it, just saying "No" is saving your customer (whether that customer is internal or external to your org) literal real dollars.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 29, 2021

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first year in helldesk, HR made a ticket. They wanted to restrict printing because they didn't double check what printer they selected and ended printing confidential poo poo all over the building. I wanted to figure something out, but my teamlead said to me "We don't solve people problems with technology so tell them no". That man is still the best manager I ever had.

And before some sanctimonious rear end goes off about the ID card readers on printers, we didn't have them and there were no plans to implement them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nexxai posted:

Seriously.

I think as IT enthusiasts, we spend so much of our own private time trying to make weird things work that we get in the mindset of "if someone asks me to do something, there's got to be a way, I just need to figure it out, no matter how long it takes" when the answer should just be a straight up "No." I know telling people "No" makes all of us (most of us) uncomfortable, but I swear to every single person reading this that if you say "No" enough times not only will it become as easy as saying "Yes" but it will also save you from the infinite number of headaches you create for yourself by always trying to solve every problem that is thrown at you.

Yes, by the most literal definition, nearly every problem that is given to you will have a technical solution, but you're operating in the context of a business, and every second you spend trying to hack something together for someone who wants some janky loving solution costs money. Remind yourself that even if they don't realize it, just saying "No" is saving your customer (whether that customer is internal or external to your org) literal real dollars.

I live by this. I think one of the hallmarks of a senior engineer is saying "yes, that can be done, no, it shouldn't be done." The junior person will see it as a challenge and work their asses off to get it done. I find myself most frustrated at senior folks who lack this understanding.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

nexxai posted:

Don't take on stupid hackey fixes

but the rush when everything finally lights up feels ~so good~ It's so easy to chase the technology dragon, every time another step of the process clicks into place I feel that much closer to the dopamine hit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hack poo poo together if your company culture is such that you have a developer team to bugfix what you're doing, and time to document it all properly, run it out of a code repository, deploy to containers/whatever. If your boss is the type that will assign to you other tasks as soon as the hack works then you're just building another piece of technical debt.

Also bear in mind what you cost (or what your value is doing other work, more accurately). While you could hack something together to spool print jobs via CUPS to change the formatting on some shipping labels because the print drivers on your 10 year old label printer are terrible, then it's cheaper to throw the thing out and buy something that works.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't just shoot it down. Follow up by asking them what the goal is. People will come up with dumb gently caress solutions that they fall in love with. Giving them a solution that does work lets you slam the door hard on their dumb fuckery.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean, that's true of anything.

I will say I have found that if people feel they can have someone swoop in and save the day, that usually limits their drive to troubleshoot themselves. When you're dealing with broken poo poo, it's a lot easier to ask someone else who you know will find the problem quickly rather than beating your head against the wall.
A good step on the way to working out the difference is if they ask how you knew what it was.

This sometimes leads to the second problem of "I got this totally new error and I tried that thing you showed me and now somehow it got worse :derp:" approaches though.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Internet Explorer posted:

I live by this. I think one of the hallmarks of a senior engineer is saying "yes, that can be done, no, it shouldn't be done." The junior person will see it as a challenge and work their asses off to get it done. I find myself most frustrated at senior folks who lack this understanding.

The Sr Engineer says it can't be done. The Jr. Engineer makes a proof of concept overnight and shares it. If it was shared with the Sr engineer only, this is a learning moment. Where the difference between 'technically possible' and 'administratively feasible' collide and the answer to 'can we?' is 'no'. Because 'should we?' is very much also no. If the Jr Engineer sends it to management and CCs the Sr. Engineer as a passive aggressive 'look what I figured out you old loser', then the resulting administrative burden falls on the Jr Engineer, which is also a teachable moment, in the same way a can of salmon someone stuck in your office's drop ceiling teaches you that someone in the office hates your guts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

Going through old open tickets, I see this update in one...

What? :psyduck:

Id wager it'll be something like "Tried to contact them, couldn't, this has to happen so better to get forgiveness than permission."

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The Sr Engineer says it can't be done. The Jr. Engineer makes a proof of concept overnight and shares it. If it was shared with the Sr engineer only, this is a learning moment. Where the difference between 'technically possible' and 'administratively feasible' collide and the answer to 'can we?' is 'no'. Because 'should we?' is very much also no. If the Jr Engineer sends it to management and CCs the Sr. Engineer as a passive aggressive 'look what I figured out you old loser', then the resulting administrative burden falls on the Jr Engineer, which is also a teachable moment, in the same way a can of salmon someone stuck in your office's drop ceiling teaches you that someone in the office hates your guts.

This is a work of art :sun:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Id wager it'll be something like "Tried to contact them, couldn't, this has to happen so better to get forgiveness than permission."

No, that was seemingly written by someone while they were on phone with the user. "Their Teams installation has failed for some reason, updating the BIOS will definitely help fix that."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

No, that was seemingly written by someone while they were on phone with the user. "Their Teams installation has failed for some reason, updating the BIOS will definitely help fix that."

:wtc:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
https://i.imgur.com/3p5vHuV.mp4

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't know what happened it was working fine yesterday????

fuckin IT

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Maybe they were buying time to try to think of something that will work and already had the customer defrag?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wow, trigger warning please.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Ok so the funniest fucken thing happened and I wanted to share it in the hopes that it makes someone's Friday better.

Backstory:
Our company is a B2B SaaS provider and we're currently in the process of re-writing our entire platform from scratch. V1 was basically a PoC that is a frankenstein setup of patches on bugfixes on hacks on dreams on on on... and so after a few months of plugging away, teams are beginning to have things to show for this effort in the form of JSON and GraphQL microservices.

The good stuff:
One of the goals of the past couple sprints is to take a few of these brand new microservices and simply prove out that they can talk to each other, make VERY basic requests and just demonstrate that we're moving in the right direction. Today a few of those teams got together to give a demo of this work and so they were giving a presentation/screenshare of how this would all work using Postman (UI/UX comes much later in our development process). One of the steps is adding a single customer to the database, which kicks off a couple asynchronous tasks (adding a message to a message bus, calling an outside service provider, etc.) behind the scenes but all in all, just a simple process to demonstrate a simple happy path.

So they're showing us (the engineering dept, of about 100 people) the process and to be fair, it looked pretty good. Everything flowed smoothly and there weren't any actual hiccups, and you could tell all of the teams involved were super proud of what they'd built so far. However, one of the frontend developers noticed that these JSON API requests from Postman to a *local* copy of this solution were taking like 1.5s each (it displays the timing right on the Postman request window; he didn't do any digging to intentionally be an rear end in a top hat or something), and so his concern is that the user experience is going to be suboptimal. He asks "I'm seeing that requests are taking one and a half seconds to add a single customer to the database. How is this going to scale when we're adding 50,000 people all at once? Has any effort been spent looking into why the performance is so terrible?"

Cue 5 full minutes of the most stunned, deafening silence I have ever heard, followed by the call ending with "This meeting ended by the host"

It's been 45 minutes and I can't stop laughing.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 30, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nexxai posted:

He asks "I'm seeing that requests are taking one and a half seconds to add a single customer to the database. How is this going to scale when we're adding 50,000 people all at once? Has any effort been spent looking into why the performance is so terrible?"

Cue 5 full minutes of the most stunned, deafening silence I have ever heard, followed by the call ending with "This meeting ended by the host"

It's been 45 minutes and I can't stop laughing.

Ooof!

Those poor developers. It sucks to be showing off your work, and then someone comes up and kicks you in the nuts. If you were to bet, do you think they were oblivious to the performance issue or were they hoping no one noticed it yet?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

Ooof!

Those poor developers. It sucks to be showing off your work, and then someone comes up and kicks you in the nuts. If you were to bet, do you think they were oblivious to the performance issue or were they hoping no one noticed it yet?

"We can just let all existing users be added as an overnight batch job, and new signups don't matter because 1.5s is longer than it takes for them to even find the verification email for signing up"

"Ship it"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Biowarfare posted:

"We can just let all existing users be added as an overnight batch job, and new signups don't matter because 1.5s is longer than it takes for them to even find the verification email for signing up"

"Ship it"

That's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over them.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

How long did it take you to find the can of salmon, and did the Sr. Engineer ever forgive you?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

The hilarious part about your comment is it gets to the very heart of why we're rearchitecting - the current system is all batched based and the new architecture is going to be all event-based.

Hughmoris posted:

Ooof!

I honestly can't tell. They're generally intelligent coders, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they told me that they were so focused on making it work that they didn't even consider the performance.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

nexxai posted:

The hilarious part about your comment is it gets to the very heart of why we're rearchitecting - the current system is all batched based and the new architecture is going to be all event-based.

stares at my event based kinesis stream that just gets 50 million items added to it every six hours

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

stares at my event based kinesis stream that just gets 50 million items added to it every six hours
but..... why

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nexxai posted:

but..... why

Bulk backfill to fix database relations since the db doesn’t use foreign keys

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

luminalflux posted:

Bulk backfill to fix database relations since the db doesn’t use foreign keys

:stare:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Not using foreign keys and fixing the relations in the app is a lot more common than you’d suspect in big sites because it makes things easier to shard horizontally later on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Has anyone ever done an in place OS upgrade on an SCCM server? I've had good luck upgrading 2012 boxes to 2019 just by running the 2019 install media, but SCCM makes me nervous even with doing a snapshot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
doesn’t SCCM explicitly say you cannot restore from a snapshot and you need to use a SCCM Backup that actually backups the database as well? Iirc it’s a scheduled task you need to enable.

It’s easily been four and a half years since I’ve even looked at SCCM fwiw but I remember some harrowing stories

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably right. I have no doubt it's not as easy as just upgrading the OS to a new ver. The SCCM database is on a different server though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

(you can also turn off all of the infrastructure and take image backups. I get the attractiveness doing everything online, but if you can get even an hour of downtime some night and get crash consistent image backups, you'll be in a really good place to roll back if you need to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hell I can take SCCM down all day and no one would even notice. All we use it for is imaging desktops and some light application pushes.