Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

SkyeAuroline posted:

... We can qualify it as "the smartest of an array of dumb things", if that's better for accuracy. Took the route that wouldn't have him getting harassed by his community from all corners while in the middle of raising a newborn child.

I think that potentially getting himself in a heap of legal trouble when its completely unnecessary is almost as dumb as he could possibly be. Going "hey we need to take a long break, exhaustion, having a baby, etc, big personal changes", 99% of people respond pretty positively to that. Similarly, if he had just shut the gently caress up and then stopped uploading videos when GW actually eventually wound up approaching him wouldn't have caused fan backlash towards him at all, but towards GW.\

what he basically did was publish a video that's titled: Crimes I Have Committed and How I Intend To Keep Profiting Off Them

hopterque fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SkyeAuroline posted:

... We can qualify it as "the smartest of an array of dumb things", if that's better for accuracy. Took the route that wouldn't have him getting harassed by his community from all corners while in the middle of raising a newborn child.
It's pretty easy to just never check that email account again. Might take a few minutes to switch important accounts over to a new one, but once you have then all the harassment is blackholed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

hopterque posted:

yeah it would have been a disaster in terms of IP rights i guess.

I'm calling bullshit on any "they did this because of IP law" story, for the basic reason that GW's new policy only applies to fan-made animation and films. They gave an explicit OK to fan-made paintings, comics, music, and fanfiction.

I have never heard of any IP law anywhere drawing a distinction based on whether the infringing pictures moved or not.

By far the most obvious explanation is that they have a product to sell, Warhammer+, and fan-made animations conflict with it while static art doesn't.

And under that light, the fact that...

SkyeAuroline posted:

[..] the backlash is this bad only when it's free content stopping is telling about the community's intent with the backlash. See the significant backlash to Sodaz joining up with GW (and hence not releasing more free work) and the relative nonreaction when that backlash was enough to get Sodaz to quit doing paid work, too. For the vast majority of the community it was never about "GW being too protective of their IP" or any nuanced takes; it's "daddy's taking away my free toys ahhhhh".

... makes it even more of a misstep on GW's part. If the fans of free Internet content hate the idea of paying creators so much, they're wildly unlikely to sign up for Warhammer+ either.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NihilCredo posted:

I'm calling bullshit on any "they did this because of IP law" story, for the basic reason that GW's new policy only applies to fan-made animation and films. They gave an explicit OK to fan-made paintings, comics, music, and fanfiction.

I have never heard of any IP law anywhere drawing a distinction based on whether the infringing pictures moved or not.

By far the most obvious explanation is that they have a product to sell, Warhammer+, and fan-made animations conflict with it while static art doesn't.

And under that light, the fact that...

... makes it even more of a misstep on GW's part. If the fans of free Internet content hate the idea of paying creators so much, they're wildly unlikely to sign up for Warhammer+ either.

The German Copyright thing is about some live action fan film in the mid 2000s that they were effectively forced to shut down because the law was VERY silly (it might still be, I have no idea) and isn't related to their new policies one way or the other.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I've seen re-uploads of Astartes on Youtube with the original music. Have those ever been forced down by GW?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Just finished the Night Lords omnibus and drat, its reputation is well deserved I'd say.

I'd like a palate cleanser/ pick-me-up before I start another tragic novel, though. I've already read Cain's books, The Infinite and the Divine, as well as Brutal Kunnin'. Are there any other comedy or comedy-adjacent books I can read in the setting?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

NihilCredo posted:

Just finished the Night Lords omnibus and drat, its reputation is well deserved I'd say.

I'd like a palate cleanser/ pick-me-up before I start another tragic novel, though. I've already read Cain's books, The Infinite and the Divine, as well as Brutal Kunnin'. Are there any other comedy or comedy-adjacent books I can read in the setting?

Ciaphas Cain is oldhammer and has jokes.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think there's a short story called War in the Museum which I think it a prequel to the Infinite and Divine. It had the necrons bicker and was great.

And while not comedy, Rites of Passage has a very sensible and grouchy navigator as a main character.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Azubah posted:

And while not comedy, Rites of Passage has a very sensible and grouchy navigator as a main character.

Everyone should read Rites of Passage, it's a terrific book.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Thirding Rites of Passage. It's definitely comedic I would say when compared to most 40k literature. Imagine the golden girls combined into one person and dropped into 40k as the head of a navigator household.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Already read RoP as well :shobon:

e: Maybe some of the Mechanicus books are more light-hearted than others? Tech priests are often a sort of comic relief in 40k stories.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cain aside, "light-hearted" and "40k" don't usually go together, ya know? There's some darkly humorous stuff about the Adeptus Terra in Dawn of Fire, though.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lords of Silence is kind of light hearted in the way Nurgle followers can be comedic. Godblight had some moments in the Nurgle chapters too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Black Legion has a great comedic moment when the warband gets in touch with someone from the "modern" Imperium.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For those of you who like LE stuff, they have a Lion's Gate map for sale.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/hh-sot-lions-gate-spaceport-map-2021

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Azubah posted:

Black Legion has a great comedic moment when the warband gets in touch with someone from the "modern" Imperium.

That and Talon have a vein of absolutely pitch-black humor running through them, just a constant reframing of certain characters' internal narratives that ADB used super well in the Njght Lord's trilogy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pyrolocutus posted:

For those of you who like LE stuff, they have a Lion's Gate map for sale.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/hh-sot-lions-gate-spaceport-map-2021

The scale on that breaks my brain because whoever drew that tried to make it look like a medieval castle, and not a scifi space fortress that stands 50 kilometers high, and has hundreds of levels. poo poo, the command center for the space port was on floor 200 and that was somewhere in the middle and the space port is supposed to be way out away from everything since they never expected anyone to attack it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 2, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Philthy posted:

The scale on that breaks my brain because whoever drew that tried to make it look like a medieval castle, and not a scifi space fortress that stands 50 kilometers high, and has hundreds of levels. poo poo, the command center for the space port was on floor 200 and that was somewhere in the middle and the space port is supposed to be way out away from everything since they never expected anyone to attack it.

I don't plan on reading SoT books (or most HH ones for that matter), what's the in-universe justification for even having walls and gates against a foe that arrives in spaceships?

I.e. what's preventing the Chaos forces from directly entering atmosphere above the Throne itself, or looking for the least defended plaza inside the Palace and making planetfall there, instead of landing outside the gates and having to ram their way in? Void shields above the Palace, stuff like that?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 2, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Void shields and anti ship batteries on the surface plus continent giant orbital defense platforms in geosynchronous orbit over priority spots, I'd reckon.

I haven't been up to speed on siege of terra books so I don't know if this is still the case. In some older source material terra is said to have continent sized orbital "plates" that act as space stations not unlike the segmentum command stations for the Imperial navy. Big gun platforms larger (but not as well armed) than the Phalanx.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 2, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

NihilCredo posted:

Voice of Mars is actually a heist film set in 40k and inexplicably using Iron Hands.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Not just any void shields. These things are unique and much much much stronger than any other void shields in universe. Something from the DAoT. It takes months of bombardment from both massive ground artillery and space (after they defeat the aforementioned orbital plates) to even start stressing them. You really should read the series, they are good and they finally got the scale right. The scale of everything is so immense it's hard to picture. The walls are like a mile thick and several miles high I believe. The scale of the palace is ridiculous.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Not just any void shields. These things are unique and much much much stronger than any other void shields in universe. Something from the DAoT. It takes months of bombardment from both massive ground artillery and space (after they defeat the aforementioned orbital plates) to even start stressing them. You really should read the series, they are good and they finally got the scale right. The scale of everything is so immense it's hard to picture. The walls are like a mile thick and several miles high I believe. The scale of the palace is ridiculous.

According to the numbers given by Dprn in Saturnine I think, there are some 300 million active combatants in the palace zone :stare:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Aegis, the Palace's void shield, is an extremely potent archaeotech shield (as D-Pad mentioned) and is also reinforced by the Emperor's psychic might. At the start of the Siege, one major problem for the traitors is that no daemons can exist anywhere near the Palace at all-- the Aegis is so strong that even being near it instantly blasts them back to the Warp. This is even true for the daemon primarchs. One reason Horus does not personally get involved in the Siege at first is that he's battling the Emperor within the Warp, backed by all four Chaos gods, with the goal of weakening the Aegis so that daemons can land. As the Siege goes on, the shield shrinks, and more and more ground becomes safe for daemons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So if Armageddon is still meant to hold the record for largest land war in Imperial history os that counting the Horus Heresy or just the "Age of the Imperium"?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Arcsquad12 posted:

So if Armageddon is still meant to hold the record for largest land war in Imperial history os that counting the Horus Heresy or just the "Age of the Imperium"?

Armageddon had three conflicts. One was Daemons, two were Orks. The 3rd War For Armageddon is like.... all the Orks. Every last one, attacking every hive city at once.

No idea how it scales to the Heresy. I don't think it matters much, personally.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah I'll place the Siege of Terra on a whole another scale honestly but the 3rd war for Armageddon is truly a loving gigantic clusterfuck.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Khorne daemons have started manifesting on armageddon as well after the great rift so its an extra double clusterfuck

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's also explained that Horus simply didn't crash the moon into Terra or nuke it until it cracks because he wanted to personally defeat the Emperor without a trace of him left. Obviously, the best way to do it WOULD have been to simply smash Terra into a million pieces because that would do both of those, but the Emperor has some major plot armor going on.

So we get to sit in Abaddon's shoes and bitch about it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 2, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess Armageddon probably wins out by sheer amount of territory under simultaneous assault. The siege of Terra is primarily the siege of the Imperial Palace, so you're reaching Verdun style casualties in a relatively (albeit still large, the Palace is enormous) contained area while Armageddon is the entire planet.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess Armageddon probably wins out by sheer amount of territory under simultaneous assault. The siege of Terra is primarily the siege of the Imperial Palace, so you're reaching Verdun style casualties in a relatively (albeit still large, the Palace is enormous) contained area while Armageddon is the entire planet.

Actually the rest of the planet is hosed too. Horus released cultists and dregs on the entire planet. Not to mention the emperor's children hosed off and went on a rampage on the rest of Terra. By this point in the siege there isn't anywhere safe.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

D-Pad posted:

Actually the rest of the planet is hosed too. Horus released cultists and dregs on the entire planet. Not to mention the emperor's children hosed off and went on a rampage on the rest of Terra. By this point in the siege there isn't anywhere safe.

I think it's the 2nd siege book where it's described that the first bombardment isn't even aimed at the palace. It's at all the green spaces the Emperor was trying to rebuild. He was trying to make Terra a living world again rather than a nightmare of industry and hive cities, and Horus said 'lol nah'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the Imperium even bother to count civilian casualties when accounting for military engagements? It seems like the type of thing they'd brush off when they're more concerned about material losses of hard to maintain weapons like titans or superheavies. Human life is cheaper than a lasgun.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

Voice of Mars is actually a heist film set in 40k and inexplicably using Iron Hands.

Yeah, it owns and I'm excited for the third book

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arcsquad12 posted:

The imperial palace is enormous on a scale that's completely absurd:

Add to this that all the other megahives and the greater sprawl of Terra is also under assault and given the insane population density of the planet it's hard to imagine anything beating it out in terms of scale, even Armageddon.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The duel between Horus and Emps is a mythical battle in the warp. He can't just have the dude shot from orbit.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

wiegieman posted:

The duel between Horus and Emps is a mythical battle in the warp. He can't just have the dude shot from orbit.

I prefer to think of it as 'it would be boring and make for a poo poo piece of vanart to shoot the emps from orbit'

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Philthy posted:

It's also explained that Horus simply didn't crash the moon into Terra or nuke it until it cracks because he wanted to personally defeat the Emperor without a trace of him left. Obviously the best way to do with WOULD have been to simply smash Terra into a million pieces because that would do both of those, but the Emperor has some major plot armor going on.

So we get to sit in Abaddon's shoes and bitch about it.

If Horus simply dropped a moon on Terra, the Emperor's psychic essence would escape into the Warp and reform later on. And as we know from the Cabal, Horus's victory would lead to the gradual implosion of the Chaos forces, as the last shard of honor inside him drove him to self-destruction. The Chaos Gods launched the Heresy explicitly to destroy the Emperor's essence, not just to overthrow the nascent Imperium. Empires come and go, and the lives of mortals don't mean much, but extinguishing the Anathema was a prize worth risking it all for.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I like to think the real reason is one of hubris. Horus needs to defeat his father personally - Even if there were Commanders advising orbital bombardment (and the Imperial Palace is both well defended enough & big enough to not really... care?) Horus simply doesn't want to.

He doesn't want to kill the Emperor. He wants to defeat the Emperor, and that means breaching it, casting down His works, driving His armies before him and killing Him in person.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Probably have a lot of meaning to the warp as well since it's so symbolic. And the warp does love its symbolism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

boredsatellite posted:

Probably have a lot of meaning to the warp as well since it's so symbolic. And the warp does love its symbolism

Also absolutely yes. The 40k universe, by nature, understands symbols and beliefs have power. If anything, the Chaos Gods are enslaved by them, they have to act in ways that are symbolic, even if it means pursuing a less optimal path.

E: UNNNNGN Now I have an idea for a 40k Story - About the faction of Inquisitors who recognise this, and begin actively creating opportunities for the forces of the Archenemy to act in ways that create symbolic 'Nexus' events, that actually lead them to defeat, because the Chaos Gods cannot refuse them even if they might objectively want to. Oh that's so drat delicious in my brain, ack.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 3, 2021