Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Choujin X He can talk to pigeons. :D Look out Aquaman!
I guess this is a metaphor for how first kisses usually feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Choujin X has got this stream of consciousness thing going that's growing on me but I'm curious how long they can make it work.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Who had the worst first kiss? This guy or Denji?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You know what, it's a bloody shame about the sexual harassment "joke" in Ghost Reaper girl today. Because otherwise that was a cool chapter that just highlights that Chloe is in fact awesome.
Gotta save for retirement! :D

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Just some thoughts on the Jump reruns:

Assassination Classroom: We're getting into Koro-sensei's backstory, and wow, does Aguri's part in the story fall flat now. The chapters are presenting her as this kind and wonderful person who does her best for her students, but she's perfectly fine working for a project that does human experimentation. She wasn't even dragged into working for her fiancee's project, they mention she volunteered. It's kind of funny how "this person shaped Koro-sensei's view as a teacher" clashes horribly with the "sci-fi experiment" plot.

Bakuman: Oof, I just remembered how Bakuman pissed me off with its treatment of Iwase. Her current editor is the idiot who forced Ashirogi to make a gag manga, and the fucker has basically given up on her now that her anime series is over and her writing skills have hit a slump. He outright says that at least he has another mangaka who's doing well. Bakuman made it a running gag of ":lol: Iwase is too strong-willed to work with", but this rear end in a top hat barely gives her any input or constructive ideas.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Who's ready for the new Bleach chapter when it hits in a few weeks?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hang on what?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is that a joke about burn the witch or

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Manatee Cannon posted:

is that a joke about burn the witch or

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1420318784343232519

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There was also some promo art showing presumably Ichigo with a new hairstyle, so it will likely be shortly post epilogue.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

Who's ready for the new Bleach chapter when it hits in a few weeks?

Will there be clothes involved?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Darth TNT posted:

Will there be clothes involved?

No clothes, every character will be completely nude.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New Shonen Jump.
This week was pretty funny.

Mashle: Arc's over. Everyone go home.
Sakamoto: Assassins on a boat? Where have i seen that recently? This manga is just a joy to look at, flow-of-action wise. Everythings really clear in motion.
Undead: Still a low-key good manga. All my exes live in orcas.
Roboco: Really fun chapter this time. Imagine being so strongly yourself, possessing such a powerful inner life you overwrite a snooping psychics mind.
Candy flurry: Wow these villains are insecure.
Witch Watch: More setup for the arc's climax. Werewolf dude is going to very obviously be cat-witch's love interest.
[Magu-chan: drat this manga can be really funny when it puts its mind to it. almost at a laugh-per-page.
Elusive Samurai: New mini-Arc starting, all hands on deck. The manga can really churn out some grotesque faces and characters.

Neru: Still hasn't hit its stride yet I feel. Neru's himself has got charm, and we seem to have got the requisite brainy-but-not-brawny sidekick and the arrogant rival. But half the fun of Martial Arts manga is the peanut gallery. So well see how they turn out.
Red Hood: Really not feeling this manga. Maybe meeting the rest of the cast will change things? until then a solidly mediocre beginning.

New One-shot by the Promised Neverland duo:
DC3: I dont see this evolving into a new series but its pretty neat as a one-shot.

What could this be referencing, by the way?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 1, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, red hood is like incredibly stupid

takes us 4 chapters to get to what should've been the end of the first chapter, and they have the final villains show up to do gently caress all

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kenta Shinohara (Witch Watch) is so good at drawing cute characters. Like Nico is definitely cute but Nemu (the cat witch) is so completely adorable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Red Hood is bad. I find it incredibly hard to follow the action because the art style has such a rough look to it I’m not sure what I’m looking at half the time, and yeah, the beginning has been incredibly drawn out. Probably gonna drop it.

Meanwhile, the Martial Arts manga I wasn’t sure if I really like this week as I thought the main characters solution to his problem was really funny and great to show off his skill.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Candy Flurry is doing it’s absolute best to sell itself to me. These villains are just decent kids trying to better themselves. Action was a bit hard to follow.

Roboco 10/10 The good guy/bad guy schtick is still solid.

Sakamoto Squid Ink Pasta

Witch watch: I guess this ark is coming to a head. I hope it doesn’t hit the shounen too hard.

Undead: doing good. I actually liked Andy’s new haircut, unfortunate to see him revert at the end.

Mash: I liked it. It was touching. I do wish we’d seen more people be nasty to Mash which would’ve really sold this moment. Still the look on the monsters face was 10/10

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Red Hood was good this week I thought because the action was more readable and I like the witch and werewolf designs.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The art of Red Hood is really carrying it for me, I dig it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its good in stills but the movement when things get hectic just cant be followed. The flow from panel to panel is janky as hell.

(which yeah is to be expected from an MHA assistant, id say the best way forward for the manga is to drop the MHA-isms.)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 1, 2021

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm totally willing to give Red Hood a little while to slide into its groove, though I do think this is probably the worst chapter of them so far.

I really really hope Candy Flurry doesn't get cancelled because god it's so good. Everybody is just so stupid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elusive Samurai: Setup chapter, not much to say, but the ending gag was super good.

Candy Flurry: Excellent chapter, and I love the banter between the cast during fights. Irie-senpai is awesome.

Roboco: Hella good gag chapter. Mostly predictable except for the last parts but doesn't make it any less funny.

Sakamoto: Loved that particular scene a lot. Nice downtime chapter. Heck yeah.

Mashle: Pretty cliched but tug-of-war with a giant monster was pretty funny. I completely forgot most of the cast existed because of how boring Dumbledore + Giga Voledmor was.

Red Hood: Eugh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't get why people are so down on Red Hood so early.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't get why people are so down on Red Hood so early.

Its a pretty generic monster hunting shounen manga, despite having good art.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it made basically no forward movement in four chapters, and doesn't have much beyond art to recommend it

looking back candy flurry had about as bad a start but idk, red hood grates on me more probably because i do want to like it and see it hit a stride like CF bc of the art and setting.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Red Hood owns because the art is cool and I love absolutely every character design. I also like Dynasty Warriors video games so I have objectively bad taste, however.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Red Hood owns because the art is cool and I love absolutely every character design. I also like Dynasty Warriors video games so I have objectively bad taste, however.

Just Dynasty Warriors or also Samurai Warriors / Musou Orochi?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu chan was fun.

Elusive Samurai was fun.

The one shot was fun. I see room for a full story, but I think it would be pretty generic.

Red hood. I don't like the art style, but I did kinda like this chapter actually. After all they've gone through the hamlet was still destroyed.

Neru: Very cool. It didn't start very well, but it's been ramping up. Cool use of muscle memory.

All in all a very good week.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
There were two main reasons this chapter of Red Hood was worse than the others to me. The fact that the village they just spent 3 chapters trying to save gets burned down, sure, that's a good motivation to get a protagonist's story going, but it just felt so... flat. Like there was no emotion to any of it. Oh no, the village is on fire! Anyway.

Second reason is I don't think they used the "overpowered villain lets the hero live in order to get stronger" trope was used particularly well here. We're given no actual reason or justification for why he does this other than out of overconfidence.

I'm hoping it picks up now that they're seemingly about to get out of the prologue.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The talk of Valhalla makes me thing that Big Boy Wolf actually has a different mindset than your average werewolf and relishes fighting against people who can pose a threat. But yeah, this chapter of Red Hood felt pretty abrupt and poorly paced overall, even though I enjoyed the creepy witch. It also doesn't really feel like it meaningfully builds up on the themes of the previous chapters, almost like the author suddenly went into panic mode about having to make this feel like a traditional shonen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the first chapter of red hood hooked my attention enough to stick with it, but each subsequent ch has been a little less interesting imo

it's not outright bad or anything but if it keeps up like this, I'll prob just start forgetting to read it occasionally until ultimately forgetting it altogether

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Red Hood rules

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Apparently Nine Dragons got cancelled? That sucks, I was really liking it. Also red hood is cool

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Just Dynasty Warriors or also Samurai Warriors / Musou Orochi?

I've liked a few Samurai Warriors games but I haven't played as many of them, I also haven't messed with Orochi very much. I really enjoyed all the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games, making Master Asia get 1000 kills then scream about being the UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST, WEST, NORTH, SOUTH, AND CENTER is always a good time. Plus a few of them let you play as Laura Rolla instead of Lauran Cehack which is great.

But to stay on topic, Red Hood is the new Bone Collector. The thread seems half divided on whether they love it or hate it, and there isn't even a consensus on whether the thread likes the art or not. I will throw hands at anyone who compares it to Guardian of the Witch though, nothing deserves to be compared to that garbage. I don't even know how that thing got into jump. Probably the worst series I've seen in modern jump.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I've liked a few Samurai Warriors games but I haven't played as many of them, I also haven't messed with Orochi very much. I really enjoyed all the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games, making Master Asia get 1000 kills then scream about being the UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST, WEST, NORTH, SOUTH, AND CENTER is always a good time. Plus a few of them let you play as Laura Rolla instead of Lauran Cehack which is great.

But to stay on topic, Red Hood is the new Bone Collector. The thread seems half divided on whether they love it or hate it, and there isn't even a consensus on whether the thread likes the art or not. I will throw hands at anyone who compares it to Guardian of the Witch though, nothing deserves to be compared to that garbage. I don't even know how that thing got into jump. Probably the worst series I've seen in modern jump.

Guardian of the Witch was definitely a bad series, but I wouldn't call it the worst given all the other terrible short-lived Jump series (Time Paradox Ghostwriter, I Tell C, Demon's Plan, U19, Amalgam of Distortion).

I looked up the full list of Jump series to refresh my memory of all the bad series, and it's weird how recent everything except One Piece is. MHA is the second-oldest ongoing series (HxH doesn't count), and it only started in 2014.

Edit: My favorite touch in that article is that Amalgam of Distortion is listed as "Ibitsu no Amalgam" despite all the other series that were translated being listed with their English titles, because no one remembers it enough to remember it was translated.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 2, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Guardian of the Witch was definitely a bad series, but I wouldn't call it the worst given all the other terrible short-lived Jump series (Time Paradox Ghostwriter, I Tell C, Demon's Plan, U19, Amalgam of Distortion).

Say what you will about those other series, but they at least tried to do something unique (I haven't checked out all of them though so I might be wrong). Guardian of the Witch had nothing original about it and the art was generic too. It was a nothing manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Say what you will about those other series, but they at least tried to do something unique (I haven't checked out all of them though so I might be wrong). Guardian of the Witch had nothing original about it and the art was generic too. It was a nothing manga.

Amalgam of Distortion didn't really do anything unique either (which is probably part of the reason no one remembers it). But yeah, I can at least see the merits of Time Paradox Ghostwriter and I Tell C having unconventional concepts even if they weren't very good concepts.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Silver2195 posted:

Amalgam of Distortion didn't really do anything unique either (which is probably part of the reason no one remembers it). But yeah, I can at least see the merits of Time Paradox Ghostwriter and I Tell C having unconventional concepts even if they weren't very good concepts.

I still think Time Paradox Ghostwriter's concept was good, it just fumbled it SO hard. Succeeding off of unprovable plagiarism is a great platform to jump into a story where the protagonist needs to face hard truths and grow as a person as he grows as an artist and storyteller. It's a fantastic setup to explore accepting and learning from failure and personal flaws, but instead the story had zero interest in any of that and kind of just waffled around for a dozen or so chapters with the protag being insufferable and time skipping over all the bits that had any chance at all of being interesting.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Muscar in Magu-chan is way better now that he's some sort of tiny ghost guy.

Red Hood, I definitely like a lot stuff about it, but I hate that "I'll kill you when you're stronger" shtick seems like a copout and makes the big bad wolf come off as lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Amalgam of Distortion was sort of interesting when the entire origin of the monsters and the like were revealed, but it only did so because it got canned. Without knowing more about what the mangaka was going for with the monsters (Basically it's kinda like the origin of the shibito/etc from the Siren videogames), it was boring.

Candy Flurry is at the back of the magazine so I got a feeling it isn't long for the world.