Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah elote for sure. Also do arrechera sazonada on the grill, and grill up your veg for salsa tatemada on the grill, and also do your tortillas on the grill. Grill all the things.

On weeknights I'll also do kebab or something related to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Grill peaches and or pineapple.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shaokao. In China it's always done on charcoal in my experience but whatever. You need:

Things to put on skewers. This can be anything. Meat bits, whole chicken wings, small whole fish, chicken hearts, quail eggs, skin, any form of mushroom, green beans, tofu, whatever. As long as it's on a skewer you're good. Don't make the meat bits too thick. When you eat shaokao you eat like 30 skewers.

Beer. This isn't used in the cooking process.

Salty oil. Just some cooking oil, caiziyou if you want to go all out, peanut works, or vegetable oil. Dump in a whole bunch of salt. It's not going to dissolve or anything but you're going to stir this up and baste the meat with salty oil a few times during the process.

Spices. You can grind up your own mix or just be lazy like me and buy these:
https://themalamarket.com/collections/sichuan-spices-dry-goods/products/sichuan-dipping-chilies-gan-die
https://themalamarket.com/collections/sichuan-spices-dry-goods/products/shao-kao-spice-xinjiang-bbq-blend

They're both good and legit. If you want to be fully authentic, get a Gatorade bottle, poke holes in the cap, and use that to puff out clouds of spice on your meat.

Put meat on grill. Baste with the salty oil. Sprinkle on spice. Flip, baste, and spice again frequently. Eat. The majority of my grilling is shaokao, even got a little rectangle grill specifically for it.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Looking for a grill recommendation:

My father-in-law's beloved natural gas grill has finally died - and parts are no longer available to repair it (it's branded Sears Roebuck, which, lol).
Best guess is it's 40+ years old. It's a small two-burner unit - but built like a tank with a thick cast metal top & base (I had thought these were cast iron but they may be aluminum).

The ideal grill would be:
• Natural gas compatible
• Built tough - able to be used 3/4 of the year and stored outside permanently in a very cold climate
• Cast <iron/aluminum> rather than stamped & screwed/riveted steel
• Compact, 2-3 burners is plenty
• Simple to light, maintain, and use

He's not interested in:
• Any form of pellet/consumable charcoal or other non-natural gas fuel
• Anything large
• Anything of poor quality or not built to last

I don't think he has a budget in mind (again, they've had this one for 40 years or so). He'd be willing to pay for quality.

I'm sure there are going to be people here who have strong opinions about the "correctness" of the desires of this man - I apologize, he's after simplicity and durability ahead of things like charcoal flavor. If it makes you feel better I am one of those coffee wankers and I can talk about my setup if you want to know that I at least am not a philistine.

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations, please let me know

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Also do brats Kenji-style, parcook in a foil pan on the grill in beer, onions, peppers, some ground mustard, and black pepper until the sausages are 145*-155*F, then finish off on a medium-hot grill to get them nice and toasty on the outside. When you temp the brats, stick your probe in through the end to the center so you don’t pierce the casing where it’s going to leak a ton.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I got some cryo-vac'ed calf liver, came frozen in individual steaks/fillets/whatever they're called. I thawed two pieces last week, but only ate one.

If it smells alright, would you trust it? It's been thawed for about 6 days now. Still utterly factory sealed, bright red juices and all, but it feels dang mushy in the package. Not a huge $$$ loss if I have to toss it, Kroger had a wicked deal on them, but I hate to throw away something I can use. If the texture's gonna be off for pan-frying, maybe a pate?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I got some cryo-vac'ed calf liver, came frozen in individual steaks/fillets/whatever they're called. I thawed two pieces last week, but only ate one.

If it smells alright, would you trust it? It's been thawed for about 6 days now. Still utterly factory sealed, bright red juices and all, but it feels dang mushy in the package. Not a huge $$$ loss if I have to toss it, Kroger had a wicked deal on them, but I hate to throw away something I can use. If the texture's gonna be off for pan-frying, maybe a pate?

If it still smells fine and you aren't immunocompromised, then cook it and you'll be ok. Liver's pretty mushy to begin with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As long as they're vacuum sealed it's my understanding that meat can last at least two weeks in the refrigerator if you don't break it open.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I recently made (no doubt inauthentic) nachos, and it was pretty good, but the tortilla chips I used lacked robustness and were unable to stand up against the other ingredients without falling to pieces. Does anyone have a particular brand of tortilla chips (available in the UK) that can hold up against salsa, sour cream, refried beans and jalapeños, all covered in melted cheese?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They don't really exist, all nachos get wet like that. What I do is also have a bunch of extras that don't have toppings and double up right before stuffing it into my gaping maw, so you get the crunch along with it. And it keeps the structure together.

Freshly fried tortilla chips seem to hold up better, maybe the remaining oil helps resist the moisture. I am not enough of a nachoologist to know.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like La Morena Totopos. They seem to hold up pretty well, plus they have yellow and blue corn varieties.

No idea if they're available in the UK or not, but they're pretty ubiquitous in Dutch supermarkets.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

dont know if they sell in the UK, but santitas are good and more importantly, two dollars only

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just realize all nachos are trying to return the the pure deliciousness that in chilaquiles and make those instead :)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Grand Fromage posted:

Freshly fried tortilla chips seem to hold up better, maybe the remaining oil helps resist the moisture.

Agreed. If you can’t commit to actually making tortillas from scratch (which is incredibly fun and rewarding) a large Sainsburys will probably have something approximating a tortilla. Pretty much everything Old El Paso makes is crap, however they do have something they call a ‘Street Food Taco’ which is essentially a small, mass produced corn tortilla. Cut these into quarters and deep fry them and you wouldn’t be a million miles away.

Some chewiness is desirable and unavoidable. Below is a link I found helpful when I first started my tortilla journey, about chilaquiles, which you could think of as breakfast nachos. She goes into detail about the level of chewiness you can expect: https://yes-moreplease.com/2015/05/chilaquiles-manifesto/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Carillon posted:

Just realize all nachos are trying to return the the pure deliciousness that in chilaquiles and make those instead :)

Man, too bad John Besh turned out to be a sexual harasser. I visited Johnny Sanchez (a collaboration with Aaron Sanchez) in New Orleans and got to eat pig ear chilaquiles and it was amazing

No worrying about soggy tortillas, it was pig ears!

(I know they’re just like that in chilaquiles but whenever I have chilaquiles I keep wondering what if these tortillas were crispy)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 31, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scientastic posted:

salsa, sour cream, refried beans and jalapeños, all covered in melted cheese?

The order of operations is chips, refried beans, cheese, bake. Add the rest of the toppings as you eat, and your remaining chips stay chilaquiles-level crispy or better!

Sliced fresh jalapeños or habs can go on before baking too, which is delightful.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I recently made (no doubt inauthentic) nachos, and it was pretty good, but the tortilla chips I used lacked robustness and were unable to stand up against the other ingredients without falling to pieces. Does anyone have a particular brand of tortilla chips (available in the UK) that can hold up against salsa, sour cream, refried beans and jalapeños, all covered in melted cheese?

A friend of mine who lives in London said he keeps encountering nachos in England that are made with Doritos. Confirm/deny?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A friend of mine who lives in London said he keeps encountering nachos in England that are made with Doritos. Confirm/deny?

Confirm

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I love it when nachos get soggy enough to eat with a spoon. A local place smothers them in a tomatillo and avocado sauce and it's so, so good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Wtf. Do they not know how to take corn tortillas, cut them into quarters and deep fry them? We would prep multiple Rubbermaid garbage bins worth a week at the bar and grill i once worked at.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Chard posted:

dont know if they sell in the UK, but santitas are good and more importantly, two dollars only

bad news: where i live, in atlanta, these are up to $2.29 only

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Who’s going to call out the UK on making terrible Mexican food, the millions of Mexicans living there?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I once made nachos with doritos. It was trash but good.

If you want to really go ++++++awesome on your nachos, add Angry Lady sauce.

Steve Yun posted:

Who’s going to call out the UK on making terrible Mexican food, the millions of Mexicans living there?

I was having nachos in London,
They were bad.
Mexicans?

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 1, 2021

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I want to make up a batch of Texas chili. The recipe I'm following calls for 1 tbsp. chipotle chili powder. I don't have any on hand, but I do have a can of chipotles in adobo. I know it won't be exactly the same, but I'm hoping it won't be too far off if I blend some up. My only problem is figuring out roughly how much to use.

Is there any rule of thumb for converting between dried ground chilies and hydrated chilis?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Powder is pretty potent. I’d finely chop up 2 whole chipotles from the can to replace 1Tbsp powder. I would then chop up the rest of the can and add it, but that’s me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Confirm, especially in pubs

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Steve Yun posted:

It’s this. There’s precisely one UK based website selling Mexican products https://www.mexgrocer.co.uk and most fresh ingredients are almost impossible to get hold of. If I want Mexican cheeses I have to make them myself, because the only person in the UK (that I’m aware of) who used to make them moved to France to avoid Brexit. If you know people in the speciality catering industry you will have an advantage over the average high street shopper though.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scientastic posted:

In addition to all the chat this spurred, I've used this recipe to make tortilla chips from the regular store bought corn/flour mix tortillas that are usually all you can find in most UK supermarkets to great effect. Doesn't take a huge amount of effort and the big robust chips you get are well worth it.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 1, 2021

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Torquemada posted:

It’s this. There’s precisely one UK based website selling Mexican products https://www.mexgrocer.co.uk and most fresh ingredients are almost impossible to get hold of. If I want Mexican cheeses I have to make them myself, because the only person in the UK (that I’m aware of) who used to make them moved to France to avoid Brexit. If you know people in the speciality catering industry you will have an advantage over the average high street shopper though.

I don't know where you are in the UK, but up here in Scotland Lupe Pintos does a good job of importing and sourcing Mexican stuff. There's one in Glasgow and one in Edinburgh.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Torquemada posted:

Pretty much everything Old El Paso makes is crap, however they do have something they call a ‘Street Food Taco’
We've started getting 'Nachips' and they hold up pretty well to wets compared to other tortilla chips.

Not specifically for loading up, I really rate Manomasa as a tortilla chip brand. The honey and chilli ones are awesome.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Stalizard posted:

bad news: where i live, in atlanta, these are up to $2.29 only

the tragedy of two buck chuck, again?!? i... i'm not ready for this....

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gotta watch the size of the bags of chips over time too :capitalism:

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I have two questions about bacon and lard. tl;dr:
1) How to soak up the last bits of fat clinging to bacon meat.
2) Creative ways to use lard.

Background:
I'm starting a business selling bacon. One of the products I want to offer is bacon dust, aka extremely tiny bacon bits, fit for sprinkling on fries, popcorn, ice cream, or just snorting through a straw because it's that drat good.

Bacon dust is pretty easy to make. Render fat from bacon, drain the crispy bits, and grind them until they're flakes the size of kosher salt grains. The flakes, however, are coated in fat. That gives it flavor, but it's not shelf stable. I want to make something that people can keep in their cabinets. I want local restaurants to have shakers full of salt, pepper, and my bacon dust.

How, then, can I soak up that last bit of fat? Here's what I've tried:

-I roasted the bacon in the oven at 250 for 4 hours. It didn't dry out the bacon, and parts of it got burnt.

I- added some cornstarch while blending. That did soak up some of the fat. But getting enough to make it powdery affected the flavor.

Things I haven't tried:

Tapioca Maltodextrin. From a molecular gastronomy video, I found that tapioca maltodextrin absorbs fats like olive oil and turns it into a fluffy powder. I'm going to try a bag and see what it does to melted lard. I'm also going to add some of the powder to crispy bacon before adding to a spice grinder.

Any others ideas how I can achieve this?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Part 2. Creative ways to use lard.

Rendering fat from a bunch of bacon leaves me with a ton of lard. Far more than I could use or sell. What are some creative (and marketable) things I can do with it?

I can freeze and sell bricks of fresh lard. Maybe a local restaurant or caterer will buy it from me. I'd rather come up with some unique way to use it. Other than subbing for butter or shortening (pancakes in bacon lard instead of butter, yummmmm), what else can I do with it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The vid doesn't have salt? Are you using it.

For extra lard ino tortillas or pie crust, soap or candles.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bagheera posted:

-I roasted the bacon in the oven at 250 for 4 hours. It didn't dry out the bacon, and parts of it got burnt.

Sous vide is pretty good for rendering fat, and never leads to burning, but I doubt it’s scalable.

I suspect that the best way to do this would be with some sort of centrifugation.

It’s not very creative, but lard is one of my favourite fats for roasting potatoes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've always wanted to make mayonnaise with lard. I don't think you can really do that with fats that are solid at room temperature but maybe there is a way to make the fat liquid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

I've always wanted to make mayonnaise with lard. I don't think you can really do that with fats that are solid at room temperature but maybe there is a way to make the fat liquid.

Keep it warm.

Warm mayonnaise. Mmmmmm.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

One of the local bacon places here does bacon jam, which as far as I can tell is just bacon bits and sautéed diced shallot suspended in enough bacon fat to make it spreadable

It’s not shelf stable, but it is amazing on a grilled cheese with a good whole grain mustard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We’re also ignoring the larger point, which is that bacon obsession is incredibly old stuff now. What you need to do is hop on the next big zeitgeisty trend before it becomes a thing, that’s how you make it big.

My vote is for kippers.