Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

deoju posted:

Super happy with it. Just waiting for my phone to ring. ;)

Wow! That's amazing work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

deoju posted:

After 4 years of working on it, and 30+ years of wanting one, I've just about completed my baby.

And the rest of the kit...

I'm avoiding spoilers like the plague, so if you have any comments, questions or anything please quote me. Otherwise I'll skim the thread for a bit and miss your post. :)

Thats fantastic! The weathering looks great, and it looks like you used real clippards which always adds some class. I didn't see them in the photo, are the belt gizmo and walkie talkie still some of the parts you're working on or was it just not in the image?

My brother has been in that same boat, all his life wanting one, and then deciding last year to buy a 3d printer and start building one. He's not the kind of person that has toys on his shelves or anything, just a mild mannered teacher, but theres just something about the proton pack...

I've been helping him for the last year and a half so I know way more about the details than I should at this point (enough to be able to tell at a glance you made a GB2 pack :v:), but it never gets old seeing someones project. I don't know what it is

I'm curious what you did for the lights (and sound i assume?), as theres a lot of kits around, and my brother's while aesthetically finished still doesn't have any lighting.

Violator
May 15, 2003

deoju posted:

After 4 years of working on it, and 30+ years of wanting one, I've just about completed my baby.

Astonishing. Absolutely beautiful and you should be super proud of it. Great job.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

With Sigourney Weaver confirmed to be returning in this, is there a chance of a reunion with Zuul. Presuming it is Zuul and/or Vince in the trailer. Could be cool to see Dana get her own back after being pretty harshly victimised for two films.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Dawgstar posted:

Wow! That's amazing work.
Thanks!

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats fantastic! The weathering looks great, and it looks like you used real clippards which always adds some class. I didn't see them in the photo, are the belt gizmo and walkie talkie still some of the parts you're working on or was it just not in the image?

My brother has been in that same boat, all his life wanting one, and then deciding last year to buy a 3d printer and start building one. He's not the kind of person that has toys on his shelves or anything, just a mild mannered teacher, but theres just something about the proton pack...

I've been helping him for the last year and a half so I know way more about the details than I should at this point (enough to be able to tell at a glance you made a GB2 pack :v:), but it never gets old seeing someones project. I don't know what it is

I'm curious what you did for the lights (and sound i assume?), as theres a lot of kits around, and my brother's while aesthetically finished still doesn't have any lighting.
I bought a kit from Anovos. I guess they lost the license, because their site says it is discontinued. I didn't have the best customer service experience with them, quite a few pieces broke, and I made a lot of mods, so maybe it's just as well.

For the weathering I followed a lot techniques I learned from watching Adam Savage's One Day Builds on YouTube, and another channel, Punished Props.

Those clippards aren't actually real, but they do look pretty close. This actually worked in my favor. I modified the one on the wand to work as the volume knob, and also house the rumble motor.

I'm not sure about getting the walkie talkie or belt gizmo. My belt is overloaded with stuff as it is. Maybe I'll try to put on some weight to increase my circumference...

I got the lights/sounds/rumble kit from a site called Rabid Prototypes. It was pricey but worked right out of the box. I'm pleased with the functionality, but getting the delicate circuit boards mounted so that the lights were oriented the right way was difficult. I had to make my own housings for each of them.

Violator posted:

Astonishing. Absolutely beautiful and you should be super proud of it. Great job.
:shobon: Thanks.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

deoju posted:

And the rest of the kit...

I'm avoiding spoilers like the plague, so if you have any comments, questions or anything please quote me. Otherwise I'll skim the thread for a bit and miss your post. :)

That's a nice build. Right now, mine is a Spirit pack on an Alice frame, with the Mattel wand attached. I'd like to weather and add to it, but I don't want to ruin the one solid pack that I have. So, you've inspired me to buy another Spirit/Rubie pack so I could play around with it. I like keeping the packs somewhat cheap, so when I spill beer on them I don't cry.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

text me a vag pic posted:

So, you've inspired me to buy another Spirit/Rubie pack so I could play around with it.
:D
I dig this youtube channel on making props and other stuff. They did one video on modifying that pack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnYYqBu-Wkg
And another on the technique I used go get the scratched, worn look on the edges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9QhOABTGoM&t=14s
If you decide to go that route I found silver paint was too bright, and gun metal looked better.

There some upgrade kits out there for those packs too, like this improved sticker sheet.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/716174...=sr_gallery-2-2

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 1, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

deoju posted:

Thanks!

I bought a kit from Anovos. I guess they lost the license, because their site says it is discontinued. I didn't have the best customer service experience with them, quite a few pieces broke, and I made a lot of mods, so maybe it's just as well.

For the weathering I followed a lot techniques I learned from watching Adam Savage's One Day Builds on YouTube, and another channel, Punished Props.

Those clippards aren't actually real, but they do look pretty close. This actually worked in my favor. I modified the one on the wand to work as the volume knob, and also house the rumble motor.

I'm not sure about getting the walkie talkie or belt gizmo. My belt is overloaded with stuff as it is. Maybe I'll try to put on some weight to increase my circumference...

I got the lights/sounds/rumble kit from a site called Rabid Prototypes. It was pricey but worked right out of the box. I'm pleased with the functionality, but getting the delicate circuit boards mounted so that the lights were oriented the right way was difficult. I had to make my own housings for each of them.

:shobon: Thanks.

Cheers! I'll have to let my brother know about that light kit site to have a look at it. Maybe he can still finish it before afterlife comes out, lol.

As far as the belt gizmo and walkie talkie, do you have a 3d printer or access to someone who has one? If so there are fantastic 3d models out there for them, and it looks like you already have the leather pouch on your belt for the gizmo. This is the belt gizmo and walkie my brother printed and painted to give you an idea:

text me a vag pic posted:

That's a nice build. Right now, mine is a Spirit pack on an Alice frame, with the Mattel wand attached. I'd like to weather and add to it, but I don't want to ruin the one solid pack that I have. So, you've inspired me to buy another Spirit/Rubie pack so I could play around with it. I like keeping the packs somewhat cheap, so when I spill beer on them I don't cry.

Speaking of 3d printing, if you have one, there are whole file sets for printing off more accurate parts to strap onto the spirit pack, in addition to the sticker packs that were linked above. This is the spirit pack my brother did for his wife (there was no way she was going to wear an accurate one with how heavy it is). He replaced most of the hardware, like the hose fittings, crank knob, etc, stripped it, masked off parts, texturized it, then painted and weathered and it came out really well with that extra movie accurate hardware:

And just for the peanut gallery if anyone has a 3d printer and wants a pack, the current models out there are really fantastic. The best one thats been getting constantly updated and revised to make it assemble and print easier, and be as accurate as possible is this one: https://github.com/mr-kiou/q-pack?fbclid=IwAR1nuS4VuiigjP9GHctwbSt3QMoo8HkjK87mO1JAMF5pwVHJjLPSFjaKZro. Also, yeah i know its facebook but... the same guy maintaining that blueprint has a group if anyone decides they want to try printing one and is stuck somewhere or needs some advice: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3DprintedGBprops/announcements

This is the one my brother spent his pandemic year printing, sanding, filling, sanding, painting, sanding, and sanding:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
A belt gizmo would be fun to make, but my problem is that I'm pretty skinny and I can't fit a lot of stuff on my belt and wear the pack at the same time. There are two leather things on my belt. The higher one is a holster for the pke meter that I made. The other one is a mount for the trap. You can see one on Peter's belt in the scene where Winston gets hired.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ah my mistake then, i thought the one on your left was the leather belt gizmo pouch

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

deoju posted:

There some upgrade kits out there for those packs too, like this improved sticker sheet.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/716174...=sr_gallery-2-2

Thanks for the videos and link. I've found a few sellers on Etsy or eBay that have kits to make a Spirit pack more accurate. I think I've got myself a Fall project.

As for belt gizmos, I found that a tool pouch and a flask go a long way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Violator posted:

Hmm. The original cast of Ghostbusters (and folks like Chevy Chase) were a big deal to me as a little kid growing up because I loved their movies so much, but I'm guessing the folks from SNL weren't considered A-listers even though SNL was a bigger deal back then. Who would be similar caliber stars today? People like Chris Pratt?
Back then, if you moved from TV to films and were a box office success, you were seen as having graduated from the High School theater of TV to the real world theater of cinema, so while they may not have been immediately A-list, they were rubbing shoulders with A-listers as peers.

And if you returned to television in any way not meant to promote your next movie? Hooooo boy, did you just destroy your career.

I like things better the way they work now.

8one6 posted:

There has never been a time when I've seen Peter McNichol in something and my first response hasn't been "You are like the buzzing of flies to him!"
"Vy am I drippings vith goo?"

Used to quote that one a lot with my ex-wife and it always has us in stiches.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Count me in as a GB2 lover that hopes for a Janosz cameo in the new one. However, from listening to Jason Reitman talk, it sounds like he's just considering the first one to be canon and GB2 to almost be like EU material. I wonder if Oscar will even be in the movie or get a mention.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's got Ray's book store, which is only introduced in GB2. The game will probably be ignored though, mainly because it expands a lot on Shandor/Gozer, even going as far as to say Shandor has subsumed Gozer if I'm remembering correctly. I feel this new film will not want to bend over backwards to be consistent with that in terms of its own expansion of that story.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 1, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm guessing they just won't bother talking about stuff like the statue of liberty walking around or specific plot kinds of stuff, but considering theres a lovingly crafted Ray's Occult Books already showing up, I could see offhand mentions as well to other GB2 stuff, slime, oscar, a love toaster, etc.

They don't really have to directly acknowledge everything, but I doubt they would outright erase GB2 as well by doing something like Oscar having never existed.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 2, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I desperately need to see more GB2 deleted scenes, like the car ride from hell, and the Statue of Liberty ending scene.

Also, every single Janosz take.

"Just put that by the arch... by the arch. No one listens to me."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Karloff posted:

It's got Ray's book store, which is only introduced in GB2. The game will probably be ignored though, mainly because it expands a lot on Shandor/Gozer, even going as far as to say Shandor has subsumed Gozer if I'm remembering correctly. I feel this new film will not want to bend over backwards to be consistent with that in terms of its own expansion of that story.

There's no reason for Reitman to give a poo poo a the video game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

There's no reason for Reitman to give a poo poo a the video game.

I'd say the same, and I don't expect him to, but it's still significant because it is quite literally the 3rd and final time each of the actors got together specifically for the purposes of Ghostbusters material. Like that in and of itself is huge.

But I agree, it likely won't exist in the canon of Afterlife.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Just from an audience perspective, it would probably make things confusing. Although it was a popular game, the vast majority of people seeing the film won't have played it. I really should get the PS4 remaster though, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. The atmosphere was good, and although getting you to relive all the stuff from the film was a bit contrived, it felt permissible in a video game context. Plus, some of the ways it connected GB1 and 2 were pretty cool if I recall.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd say the same, and I don't expect him to, but it's still significant because it is quite literally the 3rd and final time each of the actors got together specifically for the purposes of Ghostbusters material. Like that in and of itself is huge.

But I agree, it likely won't exist in the canon of Afterlife.

Sure, but it's not like it's anything resembling a canon entry. There's no reason to be beholden to it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s a shame Sigourney passed on it until it was too late. Her being related to Ivo Shandor would have been an interesting twist. Her absence is strongly felt in the game.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I imagine there might be at least a passing reference to Oscar since one of the twins who played him has sadly passed away since.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As regards the game, I admit i had a ton of fun with the ghostbusting mechanics and really loved my whole first run through except for one thing basically. Your Ai buddies were awful and they went down all the drat time, so it felt like a massive chunk of my play thru was running around and picking people up from the ground.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

remusclaw posted:

As regards the game, I admit i had a ton of fun with the ghostbusting mechanics and really loved my whole first run through except for one thing basically. Your Ai buddies were awful and they went down all the drat time, so it felt like a massive chunk of my play thru was running around and picking people up from the ground.

Time Square is a particularly bad bit for this. The gargoyles knock over the GBs in one shot, and you spend so much time running around and/or waiting for them to come get you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The perfect Ghostbusters game involves the following:

- great busting gameplay
- free roaming city area
- the ability to drive Ecto-1 and any other GB related vehicle
- business sim mechanics
- co-op multiplayer
- story-wise, you should be starting up your own franchise, with guidance from the originals

:colbert:

GB2009 got the gameplay down, plus the characters were welcomed in it, but goddamn, I wanted to drive Ecto, plus I wanted it to be like we're being called out for random jobs. Ah well.

Maybe Afterlife will kickstart new interest in a Sim Ghostbuster game.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
phasmaphobia but competent and with an extra phase at the end where you get to bust the ghost

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A heavy story based Ghostbusters game sounds like a nightmare with a low chance of being good, I'd much rather play the idea above.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Elebits for the Wii kinda nails at least the ghost wrangling portion of the GB formula

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sockser posted:

Elebits for the Wii kinda nails at least the ghost wrangling portion of the GB formula

I remember this coming out and it was a BIG deal. The moment everyone saw the Wiimote for the first time, there was a huge buzz for "first person shooter". Turns out it wasn't that great for that genre, but Elebits was a drat fun game, fun physics, and it was kind of a nice "fps-lite" sort of game.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Ghostbusters is a game I recommend playing on easy. It's much more fun that way. The time it takes to stun a single ghost on hard is loving donkey brained.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The cherub enemies in the cemetery near the end of the game :fuckoff:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Armacham posted:

The cherub enemies in the cemetery near the end of the game :fuckoff:

Yup. I couldn't get past them so that's where the game ended for me.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
my favorite thing about the game is the slime tether. bookcase meet chandler, rare artifact meet filing cabinet. when in doubt, slim tether!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Am I the only one old enough to have played Ghostbusters on the C-64?

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Ghostbusters

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

There was an NES port of the game and I'm old enough to have played it but young enough that I had zero loving clue what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing at any point.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

PhotoKirk posted:

Not at all, I still have my copy. it was one of my most played games during the C64 era.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i distinctly remember playing the ghostbusters ii dos game as a kid and having no idea what i was doing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

__________\

Tried them for murderrrrrr! Gave em the chairrrrrr!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

That's a ghost popping out right? Definitely a ghost, not something else.