Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think these are just springtails, which are totally harmless. Do they jump when you put your finger near them?

Fungus gnat larvae look similar, but they're confined to the soil and lack antennae. You won't see them crawling over bits of mulch like that. If there are any adults, they'll be black and will fly around the plant when disturbed. Thrips have an early life stage that looks similar (long and white with visible antennae). Mature thrips are black and leave very obvious damage on plants when there's an infestation.

The little guys do not jump. I also never see any bugs flying around the plant when I disturb it.

I put the plant on my balcony (in the shade) for the last week to dry it out. I only ever water it ~3/4 cup a week, but it's pretty dry up here in CO. After the week at least the top 2" of soil felt dry, but if I dug around I could still see the little crawlers. Had to try much harder to find them than I did when I made my first post here.

In my office today I swatted this guy, however:

Which looks an awful lot like the fungus gnats I see on google. But I swear I have never seen them around the plant, indoors or out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

the numa numa song posted:

The little guys do not jump. I also never see any bugs flying around the plant when I disturb it.

I put the plant on my balcony (in the shade) for the last week to dry it out. I only ever water it ~3/4 cup a week, but it's pretty dry up here in CO. After the week at least the top 2" of soil felt dry, but if I dug around I could still see the little crawlers. Had to try much harder to find them than I did when I made my first post here.

Which looks an awful lot like the fungus gnats I see on google. But I swear I have never seen them around the plant, indoors or out.

told ya’ll it wasn’t springtails (OP, you can change out the substrate, use a hydrogen peroxide wash, put up a sticky trap to catch any adults, and/or use the spray I linked earlier ITT)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Those weren't fungus gnat larvae lol. They were crawling on top of things. I'm still pretty sure they're just springtails, but it'd be worth managing for thrips if there's visible damage on the plants akin to aphid damage. If there are fungus gnats, they're not going to put holes in the plant anyway, which was the damage in question.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

the numa numa song posted:

this doesn't look like a fungus gnat at all to me, it looks like a mosquito. might wanna think about impregnating your soil with mosquito bits.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

subpar anachronism posted:

this doesn't look like a fungus gnat at all to me, it looks like a mosquito. might wanna think about impregnating your soil with mosquito bits.

The good news is that mosquito or fungus gnats, you can use Bti to take care of them. I like the liquid ones better than the bits, but it's up to preference. It's a different strain than the one for caterpillars, but will interrupt the cycle either way. Naturally occurring bacteria and it works better than neem derivatives in my experience. I just wish there were one that worked on scale, but then I'd have a large bay laurel still needing a spot in the house and I don't have one for it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Our cactus is starting to bloom again :)

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Hello thread, I am in need of some help with a succulent that has been very difficult to keep alive.

In fact, it is so difficult, that it is currently quite dead. On the plus side, I still have two leaves from it, and those leaves have grown roots; on the minus side, the leaves never seem to actually... bud?

I believe the succulent is echeveria pulvinata, but I am a complete plant idiot and only have two succulents total that I picked up from ALDI.

One of them, potentially echeveria peacokii (I'm using the Picture This app to identify these), has been very easy to care for and propagate. In fact it happened nearly on accident at least once with a leaf that got knocked into the darkness. I currently have 6 little babies and a main plant that grew from a stem cutting after it originally got too leggy.

The other one has been very unhappy, basically forever. I believe it developed root rot, and I tried to save it, but none of the leaves would seem to propagate and were super sensitive to being over watered. The stem cutting eventually got root rot as well and has recently died. Seems obvious it's being over watered, but, the other one is doing very well in the same circumstances... Now I'm down to two leaves with roots that I would really like to save if possible, but I'm not sure what to do from here to improve my chances.

I did repot everything in succulent soil after the first mishap, and also put them under some grow lights at the same time. Any pointers would be very appreciated!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Crust First posted:

I did repot everything in succulent soil after the first mishap, and also put them under some grow lights at the same time. Any pointers would be very appreciated!

Pictures would help. Does succulent soil mean like, "cacti and succulent mix" from Miracle Grow (e.g. organics with a sprinkling or perlite) or something gritty?

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
This is the soil: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007797622/

Here's a picture of the crime scene:

The other leaf is in an ice cube tray that I used to keep them separate.

The plant itself would get... wrinkly, I guess, and then sort of swell up and get mushy, and then just wither up completely. The final death was just a couple of days ago now. As I said I have no idea what I'm doing, the other succulent seems to thrive basically in spite of my ineptitude, but this one has completely eluded me.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I'd highly recommend a proper gritty mix. There's some :words: about them here.

Crust First posted:

The plant itself would get... wrinkly, I guess, and then sort of swell up and get mushy, and then just wither up completely. The final death was just a couple of days ago now. As I said I have no idea what I'm doing, the other succulent seems to thrive basically in spite of my ineptitude, but this one has completely eluded me.

Root rot will make a plant get wrinkly because the roots are no longer functioning so it can't drink anything and, if it makes it to the foliage that will then start rotting as well so that sounds largely as expected. It's entirely possible that it had already started rotting when you got it, which is fairly common for succulents picked up at super markets or big box stores.

The leaves you've saved you'll want to basically just leave sitting on top of some soil or a paper towel or whatever floats your boat until they start putting out roots (it sounds like they already have?), at which point you can start giving them a little water every few days. You don't want to actually plant the end of the leaf, just let it put its own roots in as it's likely going to sprout a new plant from the base of the leaf while using the original leaf as a sort of nutrient/water source as it gets established. The soil you got on amazon is probably reasonably suitable for trying to get the leaves started but I'd transfer them out of it when they're established.

As an aside given your mention of legginess and the plant originally being unhappy it's worth mentioning that, in general, echeveria want a whole lot of light even relative to other succulents and cacti. If you don't want to have to keep topping them you'll probably want some kind of grow light.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just bought some neem oil to deal with some white powdery mildew. The bottle says to "apply on a seven day schedule".

Do they mean "apply once every seven days" or "apply once a day for seven days in a row"?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm looking to sprout some ginger and sunchoke during the tail of this winter

Would popping the rhizomes in a shady greenhouse be a good idea?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Do they mean "apply once every seven days" or "apply once a day for seven days in a row"?

Every seven days, I imagine, though that's probably a bit much. It hangs around on the plant for a while.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Neem oil can straight up burn some sensitive plant leaves, so every day does seem wrong. My lemons don't mind, but I burned my avocados a bit using it in a ratio of like 1 tablespoon/.75L spraybottle.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always remove plants from strong light when I apply neem. That seems to prevent the burning.

I think the burning is caused by clogged stomata being unable to transpirate efficiently?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm gonna warn you now a large part of neem oil is butyric acid which makes it smell like straight barf, I have abandoned any hope of using neem indoors because it smells so strongly of vomit and the stench hangs around forever. Butyric acid is also the ingredient that makes Hershey's suck.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 30, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Neem oil smells like Satan’s coffee.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I returned from a work trip to find my money plant thirsty... and fungusy. :cry:

Can I save this noble plant, or is it toast?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Nowhere near dead by my eye

Trim the affected area

Give it a bit of a wash with a hose

Place in the sunniest area you have

What sort of climate do you have?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Jestery posted:

What sort of climate do you have?

I'm in Zone 10b, and I'll try your advice — thank you!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I can't think in F° I'm sorry but Ive googled and look to be around freezing point? No?

If so,

I would advise the warmest, Sunniest spot you got, make sure the soil is well draining and a little moist but not sopping

I have the same plant and it struggles during the worst of winter here and that's , at absolute worst a couple nights of 5°c

Propagating a cutting may also be an idea just to keep your mind at ease :)

Jade propagates easily

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
USDA zone 10B is generally non‐freezing.

San Diego is the American Perth, basically, though drier and with cooler summers.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 31, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone familiar with this plant?

It's yet another one of those "4 inch tropical" supermarket plants for cheap.
Very thin stems.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Very thin stems.

It looks a lot like coffee (Coffea arabica). I thought that was unlikely but Google says people sell/grow it as a houseplant so.. maybe?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Wallet posted:

It looks a lot like coffee (Coffea arabica). I thought that was unlikely but Google says people sell/grow it as a houseplant so.. maybe?

Yeah I was going to say it looks like my coffee plant but didn't seem likely to be labeled as misc. Maybe?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Very thin stems.

It does look a lot like my coffee tree.

But you're going to need a bigger pot. They grow big root balls and mine is currently about 36" tall. Or you can just leave it in the small pot and see if it'll stay small.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ - I have a spare 10" terracotta I never used when separating my first snake plant. Just need a bag of soil at some point.

But yeah, definitely seems to match GIS pics, as well as the artist's concept in Gardenia. Especially how the leaf stems look segmented from the main. Wild.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anyone ever successfully germinated an avocado pit before?

I tried putting one in a bag with a damp paper towel in a drawer, but it wound up growing some mold before the root could emerge.

Tried again tying some twine around the pit and suspending it over a container of water. This was in lieu of the toothpick method you see on the internet. It's got a light crack, but no root yet.

I have no aspirations of producing fruit. We just eat a lot of avocados and I wanted to add one to my dozens of houseplants.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

I tried putting one in a bag with a damp paper towel in a drawer, but it wound up growing some mold before the root could emerge.

Tried again tying some twine around the pit and suspending it over a container of water. This was in lieu of the toothpick method you see on the internet. It's got a light crack, but no root yet.

I have no aspirations of producing fruit. We just eat a lot of avocados and I wanted to add one to my dozens of houseplants.

Yeah, just keep trying. The one with the toothpick method is probably still fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

yeah, it’s super easy (just like chuck it in a pot and it’ll do its thing, ideally you can put it outside for a few more weeks) but it’s gonna be super stringy and unattractive unless you can give it a lot of light and time.

Avocados are like apples in that they pretty much never breed true from seed wrt fruit, so you def won’t get any usable fruit and also it would take you like a decade.

Tbh, if you are interested in something attractive that can also produce fruit, you can get a dwarf 4-5’ grafted tree pretty easily.

They produce some that apparently make great houseplants if you can handle a 5-7’ tree (just keep it pruned) and can move it in and out of the house seasonally (or have it outside year round).

I thought about getting one/will probably eventually get one for my mom and was seeing them for around $100.

Apparently mature ones with 3-4 years on them post-graft can throw out a lot of avocados all winter long, so uhh maybe this is a thing you should pursue?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Chad Sexington posted:

The pits we keep throwing in the worm bins germinate just fine and also don't really break down. Guess we should stop throwing them in there... the worms freaking love mango seeds though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, it’s super easy (just like chuck it in a pot and it’ll do its thing, ideally you can put it outside for a few more weeks) but it’s gonna be super stringy and unattractive unless you can give it a lot of light and time.

Avocados are like apples in that they pretty much never breed true from seed wrt fruit, so you def won’t get any usable fruit and also it would take you like a decade.

Tbh, if you are interested in something attractive that can also produce fruit, you can get a dwarf 4-5’ grafted tree pretty easily.

They produce some that apparently make great houseplants if you can handle a 5-7’ tree (just keep it pruned) and can move it in and out of the house seasonally (or have it outside year round).

I thought about getting one/will probably eventually get one for my mom and was seeing them for around $100.

Apparently mature ones with 3-4 years on them post-graft can throw out a lot of avocados all winter long, so uhh maybe this is a thing you should pursue?

Yeah I had no fruiting aspirations... until you planted the seed of grafted tree.

We barely have enough space in our south-facing living room for my fiddle leaf figs and yucca canes in winter, but if these things are genuinely cold-hardy, it could live on the porch...

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hello

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah I had no fruiting aspirations... until you planted the seed of grafted tree.

We barely have enough space in our south-facing living room for my fiddle leaf figs and yucca canes in winter, but if these things are genuinely cold-hardy, it could live on the porch...

you’re p. much always gonna want to bring it inside in the Fall if you’re anywhere north of, say, the Carolinas

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Those weren't fungus gnat larvae lol. They were crawling on top of things. I'm still pretty sure they're just springtails, but it'd be worth managing for thrips if there's visible damage on the plants akin to aphid damage. If there are fungus gnats, they're not going to put holes in the plant anyway, which was the damage in question.

Those were definitely springtails. Both they and fungus gnats seems to occupy a similar niche in feeding on decaying matter. I actually buy springtails to help jumpstart my vivariums. Fungus gnats just often come along for the ride.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Behold, my titan sunflowers have bloomed.

https://imgur.com/fR064j4

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wallet posted:

I bought a baby coffee plant at Publix supermarket for like $11 6 months ago, they're definitely trendy houseplants right now.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

this is the first time one of my roots is actually attaching instead of ignoring the moss pole and i am unreasonably excited :kimchi:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I hope this survives my upcoming 700 mile move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pokie posted:

I hope this survives my upcoming 700 mile move

I did 2k miles last year in May with a van full of plants (including that coffee tree, it’s very heavy) and they all made it okay. I just had to pay attention to their water needs changing and it was just fine for four days. You can definitely manage that really awesome tank of stuff.