Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Violator posted:

Any updates or thoughts on Plex’s gaming stuff? Is that dead on the vine or improving?

It's a waste of time since a potato can run retroarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SCheeseman posted:

Plex's flailing around trying to find a thing to be that isn't the thing everyone uses it for is worrying. Like one day it's just gonna die.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

If I have a Dolby Vision file and someone tries to play it remote on a non-DV TV does that not work? The colors are coming in all weird for them.

Almost certainly that won't work.

SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision are all their own separate color spaces and aren't technically inter-compatible with each-other, although Plex does have some degree of support for transcoding from HDR10 to SDR if you hardware is new enough.

The general way people work with this is to actually have separate libraries with 1080p SDR versions of their content and 4K HDR versions of their content, and if you're playing with DV you might need to further have a separate HDR10 and DV library.

The same is true with regular media sources, incidentally: streaming sites like Netflix, iTunes and Disney+ store multiple copies of their content and then transmit whatever the best-support version is (so they'll have three separate 4K files on the backend: SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision), and Ultra HD Blu-ray does a weird thing where it's HDR10 or HDR10+ as a baseline and then the Dolby Vision is a special "patch" layer that generates the DV feed in realtime in a way similar to how Blu-ray 3D worked where it would store the left eye image and then the right eye image was a special patch data layer that the player would have to similarly render in realtime.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

This isn't the place to ask, but what's the easiest path forward? Something like:

https://www.goretroid.com/collections/retro-game-system/products/retroid-pocket-2-handheld-retro-gaming-system?variant=36670989893792

Looks super awesome. I've got enough poo poo going on that I would love to find something that requires very little tinkering. I spent time getting a Pi up and running for retro gaming, but having something portable with a big screen and HDMI output seems like something that would be easier for me to just pick up and play here and there. I've got an iPhone that I don't want to jailbreak so my portable devices are limited but if I can pick something up cheap that would be great.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
We've got a whole thread on it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810

tl;dr is either the Anbernic 351P or 351V for most people right now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Plex's flailing around trying to find a thing to be that isn't the thing everyone uses it for is worrying. Like one day it's just gonna die.

They're trying to find monthly recurring revenue streams, likely so they can sell/get acquired. This will probably have the same end result.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

univbee posted:

Almost certainly that won't work.

SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision are all their own separate color spaces and aren't technically inter-compatible with each-other, although Plex does have some degree of support for transcoding from HDR10 to SDR if you hardware is new enough.

The general way people work with this is to actually have separate libraries with 1080p SDR versions of their content and 4K HDR versions of their content, and if you're playing with DV you might need to further have a separate HDR10 and DV library.

The same is true with regular media sources, incidentally: streaming sites like Netflix, iTunes and Disney+ store multiple copies of their content and then transmit whatever the best-support version is (so they'll have three separate 4K files on the backend: SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision), and Ultra HD Blu-ray does a weird thing where it's HDR10 or HDR10+ as a baseline and then the Dolby Vision is a special "patch" layer that generates the DV feed in realtime in a way similar to how Blu-ray 3D worked where it would store the left eye image and then the right eye image was a special patch data layer that the player would have to similarly render in realtime.

Well that's annoying and probably not something I'd do. Setting up a new library isn't just a front end thing right? I'd have to probably do something with radarr too.

Violator
May 15, 2003

CFox posted:

We've got a whole thread on it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810

tl;dr is either the Anbernic 351P or 351V for most people right now.

Awesome, thanks!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Motronic posted:

They're trying to find monthly recurring revenue streams, likely so they can sell/get acquired. This will probably have the same end result.

Yeah, buying the lifetime pass was a great investment, until they go under...

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If you think of it this way, those of us who bought lifetime are actively preventing them from being sold :getin:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Gonna go buy out this thing whose most avid users are unmonetizable with the product in its current form

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Well that's annoying and probably not something I'd do. Setting up a new library isn't just a front end thing right? I'd have to probably do something with radarr too.

I'm not sure if there's a practical method of having Radarr download multiple (but different) copies of the same movie.

You'd need separate folders for each type of movie, and then different Plex libraries which pointed to the different folders.

So a "Movies" library pointing to D:\Plex\Movies and a "4K HDR10 Movies" library pointing to D:\Plex\4KMovies, and to separate even further "4K Dolby Vision Movies" library pointing to D:\Plex\4KDVMovies, or something along those lines.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can run multiple instances of it to do that, but I just can’t be bothered. I left radarr grab stuff in regular quality and then when I go to watch I’ll do a quick manual check in case there’s a 4K.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you think of it this way, those of us who bought lifetime are actively preventing them from being sold :getin:

The lifetime pass is $120, a yearly pass is $40, and monthly is $5. So if what you care about is giving them a consistent revenue stream, you'll use the monthly pass.

In other words, the lifetime pass is actually going to get them sold the fastest. Those customers will never result in any additional income.

When they're purchased, I guess there's always jellyfin. It even transcodes faster on my Raspberry Pi.

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 3, 2021

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

cruft posted:

In other words, the lifetime pass is actually going to get them sold the fastest. Those customers will never result in any additional income.

Except that the thing that will make them an attractive acquisition to a larger company is recurring revenue. Amazon (e.g.) would much rather buy a company with a million subscribers who each pay $5/month than a company with $120m in the bank and no revenue.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lawen posted:

Except that the thing that will make them an attractive acquisition to a larger company is recurring revenue. Amazon (e.g.) would much rather buy a company with a million subscribers who each pay $5/month than a company with $120m in the bank and no revenue.

Okay, good point. But no revenue stream means at some point they'll stop being able to cut paychecks, too.

I guess it's all down to how much they have in the bank. Given their posturing that they're trying to get bought, I'd guess the answer is "not enough".

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

How is Jellyfin in comparison? I haven't looked into it at all, but that's the only real competition in that space?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

forest spirit posted:

How is Jellyfin in comparison? I haven't looked into it at all, but that's the only real competition in that space?

It's not as mature but it works. When I loaded it up on my library, scrapping was pretty shoddy in comparison, and the way it approaches libraries was sort of weird to me (I don't remember exactly how, though).

There's also Kodi, which is mature and pretty good but doesn't have the "be your own Netflix for your friends and family" features that Plex and Jellyfin have.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

cruft posted:

It's not as mature but it works. When I loaded it up on my library, scrapping was pretty shoddy in comparison, and the way it approaches libraries was sort of weird to me (I don't remember exactly how, though).

There's also Kodi, which is mature and pretty good but doesn't have the "be your own Netflix for your friends and family" features that Plex and Jellyfin have.

Kodi is still a bitch to setup for multiple devices reading one library.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

There's also Emby, but it's basically a slightly less good Plex at this point. They have all of the same features gated behind the exact same fee structure.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

forest spirit posted:

I have jellyfin running as a backup and for that it's perfect. I haven't got other users using it remotely so I can't comment on that but I find it matches things as well as Plex does 99% of the time and its android client can play some items without crashing that Plex still can't. I'm looking at you aas subtitles on the firetv client :argh:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just came across a neat little feature that's kinda tucked away and is only applicable for a handful of things, but I'm guessing a lot of people don't know about it.

If you edit a Season of a TV show and type something in the Title box, this replaces the words 'Season x' in the listings. Most shows naturally don't need this, but some do! For example - https://www.thetvdb.com/series/the-last-drive-in-with-joe-bob-briggs - as you can see in the side bar, Season 2 is listed as Season 7 because of the mini-seasons they run between each regular one. So now I have all the correct names reflecting the content inside.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just came across a neat little feature that's kinda tucked away and is only applicable for a handful of things, but I'm guessing a lot of people don't know about it.

If you edit a Season of a TV show and type something in the Title box, this replaces the words 'Season x' in the listings. Most shows naturally don't need this, but some do! For example - https://www.thetvdb.com/series/the-last-drive-in-with-joe-bob-briggs - as you can see in the side bar, Season 2 is listed as Season 7 because of the mini-seasons they run between each regular one. So now I have all the correct names reflecting the content inside.

Oh that’s slick, maybe it will get my kid to watch all the drat Pokémon he had me put on the plex

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Kodi is still a bitch to setup for multiple devices reading one library.

Unless I'm missing something (always a possibility), I did this the other day and it was as simple as setting up a SMB share and finding it on my local network on each device using Kodi. I don't believe the watched list transferred, though, so every device is sort of tracking independently. That could be a problem.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

George RR Fartin posted:

Unless I'm missing something (always a possibility), I did this the other day and it was as simple as setting up a SMB share and finding it on my local network on each device using Kodi. I don't believe the watched list transferred, though, so every device is sort of tracking independently. That could be a problem.

If I recall correctly, you can work around this, and get everybody using the same scrapping database, by bringing up a MySQL server and exposing the port to your LAN.

As a cybersecurity professional, I can't recommend anybody actually do that, however.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

George RR Fartin posted:

Sounds like you're simultaneously missing something but also not missing it?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

George RR Fartin posted:

cruft posted:

If I recall correctly, you can work around this, and get everybody using the same scrapping database, by bringing up a MySQL server and exposing the port to your LAN.

As a cybersecurity professional, I can't recommend anybody actually do that, however.

Yep.

Kodi is great but if you want a "Netflix/watch anywhere anytime" experience then you need to use Plex or one of the forks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lol that’s the exact example I would need to look into this feature because I’ve always thought the thetvdb listing for that show had janky numbering.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Violator posted:

Lol that’s the exact example I would need to look into this feature because I’ve always thought the thetvdb listing for that show had janky numbering.

Ha! Great minds etc.

I found it when I was making a custom show I didn't map to TVDB, as there's a whole bunch of random MTV bits that don't really match up (like someone finds a tape they just hit record on in 1992 and uploads it as a file), so I made an MTV show and put one group of files in /Season 1/, another in /Season 2/ and then found out I could rename the seasons. So it now kinda looks a bit like a Collection, but it's all just one show and suits what I need perfectly.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

That'll be pretty useful to reorganise my YouTube downloads, so different playlists under a channel can be named instead of trying to remember what the gently caress season 3 and 8 are.
Thanks for posting it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Decided I need a NVIDIA Shield Pro to transcode videos from my NAS. Figure it will be good for other things too. Question however. Seems like these things get an update every two years (2015, 2017, 2019). Feels like it would be a bad idea to spring $200 on something that's been out for two years and hasn't dropped in price....considering that a new version might be right around the corner. Thoughts?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I feel like all nvidia cpus will be going to Nintendo for the oled switch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With how supply-constrained anything GPU-related is, I'm sure they're content to just keep making the 2019 model for a while longer.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://www.plex.tv/blog/super-sonic-get-closer-to-your-music-in-plexamp/

Looks like you can have plex AI listen to your music library to dynamically build musically similar playlists and so forth. I set it up, but I can't really speak to it as I'm confounded by plexAmp's UX more often than not.

Edit: I'm getting more of a handle on it, but most of my music these days is Spotify based so I don't exactly have a large quantity to pull from and match and so forth.

Ee:
It suggested this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEIado7zAxk

was musically related to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Q80mk7bxE

So, you know, room for improvement.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 12, 2021

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

They need something other than "networked pirated content player" in order to get bought by samsung or get an absurd valution from the VCs that ruined 1password and crashplan.

The thin ice they're skating on copyright wise isn't cracking, but an equity event for the founders in the form of a buyout or VC round would dump a lot more weight.

Basically if the founders wanted out, they need a suitable business to rely on when they inevitably kill off self hosted media support as part of a compromise.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait, what happened with 1Password? I’ve been pretty happy with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

Wait, what happened with 1Password? I’ve been pretty happy with it.

1Passwor used to have a downloadable product that you can buy once sync via dropbox, and were going to add support for more syncing options. Now all they want to offer is monthly subscriptions.

They never even added multiple vault syncing via this method to the android client, even though it was promised for years.

Gotta have that monthly recurring revenue.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sonic analysis, eh?
https://www.plex.tv/blog/super-sonic-get-closer-to-your-music-in-plexamp/

Sounds cool

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I am like 6-8 weeks into using a Shield pro with attached 6tb WD drive as a plex server/client combo and I am happy with the results.

I have to reboot the shield once in a while or the network share to my windows PC will die or something else will get wonky, but beyond that it works quite well at least for all the 1080p streams I throw at it. I don't expect prioritizing a 4k projector is gonna happen real soon, maybe in a couple years when they're a bit less expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've got Sonarr and Radarr running on a Windows box that feeds into Plex on a Nvidia Shield as a mounted drive. The thing is, this works fine unless Windows reboots as it is wont to do on its own. I have Sonarr & Radarr starting up automatically at boot but they lose access to the mounted drive, so I have to remote in, shut them down and run them again as administrator. Is there a way I can set this up so I don't have to keep doing this?

(I'm not looking to completely replace this setup over a relatively minor inconvenience)