Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Only unstable people ever consider going to sea

Ishmael posted:

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.  This is my substitute for pistol and ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Vietnam era veterans are way more likely to have Hep C, and the most likely culprit is the stupid jet injection gun they used to give inoculations and didn't sterilize in between.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_injector

People have described it as a dude walking down the line giving injections about 2 seconds apart.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

what the gently caress

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://youtu.be/z-zJJIzrf_I

No need to sterilize in-between!

My sister works at a VA hospital, and for men of a certain age the hep C and "history of tobacco use" checkboxes on their charts are practically bingo card free spaces.

That was particularly distressing in the early days of COVID with the ventilator shortage, where the guidelines were talking about de-prioritizing scarce ventilators to people who had a history of smoking. That's all of em, the government used to literally give cigarettes to the bored and stressed young people in their employ.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Smoking still hangs on in the military despite the population at large mostly abandoning it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's weird how many people in the military dip. I don't think I've got any regular smokers in my unit, now that I'm thinking about it. But the loving snack bar stocks some kind of dip packet thing.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Dip keeps you sharp and turns you into a sexual tyrannosaurus

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

It's weird how many people in the military dip. I don't think I've got any regular smokers in my unit, now that I'm thinking about it. But the loving snack bar stocks some kind of dip packet thing.

All over nearly every flight line l served on. Was pretty disgusting

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had to go and talk to one of the supervisors in Security one time and while I’m trying to have a work conversation with him he’s chewing and spitting away in a pop bottle at his desk.

I tried the poo poo once back in high school and felt like throwing up afterwards.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Medical at the NOSC dips. Gross.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I used to do both and ive noticed chewing becoming more common as less places let you smoke indoors.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
What was it, Grizzly maybe? Some new dip around 2002/2003 did that marketing thing where they just ship a whole load of free product to deployed military and it looked like they were just giving it away at the ship's store. Spitters just fuckin' everywhere. Found more than one discarded dip canister in Harrier RCS ducts. gently caress dip.

Tons of free rip-its and clif bars in Afghanistan 10 years later, though, that was nice.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Why is there such a disconnect between officer and enlisted in the navy? Is it as bad/less bad in other services?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

OPAONI posted:

Why is there such a disconnect between officer and enlisted in the navy? Is it as bad/less bad in other services?

Army officers don't have a special dining room inside their tank that only other officers are allowed in.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You weren’t supposed to have the stuff in Qatar. What I heard was that logs of dip fit pretty well in Pringles cans, so that’s a good way to have it shipped to you.

We had some electrical contractors from the backwoods of Virginia out to wire up a new equipment shelter, and I occasionally got stuck babysitting them. They didn’t know they wouldn’t be able to buy it over there so multiple times we’d have conversations about whether or not I was sure I didn’t know someone who had some dip because they were both desperate. One of them got a kidney stone partway through the project and suddenly couldn’t work anymore. Their company didn’t get them approval to be treated on base, and either wouldn’t pay for him to be treated in Doha, or he refused to be. I kind of think it was the latter because this British tower crew contractor said something about how he tried to convince him that the hospitals over there are as good if not better than what he’d get in the US. So his company flew him home and he had to go to the ER.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GD_American posted:

Army officers don't have a special dining room inside their tank that only other officers are allowed in.

I miss seeing the light fade in the eyes of so many horribly misguided college kids, to know I was an even bigger loser by dropping out of a military academy and cadet program and enlisting.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 18, 2022

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I have a question, but not really sure where to ask it, so I'll toss it here.

My husband got offered a job at ups as a driver and accepted it about a month back. He had a week of classroom training and was told that he would be "on call" until a road supervisor could ride with him to do deliveries. The on call stuff has seen him work about eight hours in the past three weeks and he's been doing gig work on the side to make money. They have him call in every morning to see if he's working, but it's almost always a no. Apparently there aren't enough road supervisors to train everyone right off the bat, but I feel like they're stringing him along until he quits.

Last week, he was told that he'd be working a full week this week, but that didn't materialize. Do you think he's being strung along, I have no idea what the deal is.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

The afghans I advised let me try this weird green dip called naswar one time. I put a tiny little dab of that poo poo on my gums and it gave me an instant headrush and a bout of nausea that had me heaving within a few seconds. I think I've read that it's pulverized green tobacco with lime (CaO, not citrus). I've had little taste for tobacco since

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotiana_rustica

Its a different tobacco plant

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

OPAONI posted:

Probably based on the old concept of the aristocracy serving as the officer class and the enlisted being the loving scum of society you had to whip to do their jobs. I think the world wars did a good job of beating this notion out of the other services but the navy escaped that fate so you still get that weird gap. Enlisted sailors are also setting ships on fire these days so maybe the officers aren't totally wrong though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It helps a lot that the naval officers corps largely is an honest-to-god hereditary aristocracy.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

My husband got offered a job at ups as a driver and accepted it about a month back. He had a week of classroom training and was told that he would be "on call" until a road supervisor could ride with him to do deliveries. The on call stuff has seen him work about eight hours in the past three weeks and he's been doing gig work on the side to make money. They have him call in every morning to see if he's working, but it's almost always a no. Apparently there aren't enough road supervisors to train everyone right off the bat, but I feel like they're stringing him along until he quits.

Last week, he was told that he'd be working a full week this week, but that didn't materialize. Do you think he's being strung along, I have no idea what the deal is.

Yes and no.

Is the center a union shop? At my cousins center it’s union so things move slowly. UPS in general seems like a clusterfuck based on his stories but it’s very dependent on the center. One thing to keep in mind is that we’re at a point where most of the senior folk are on vacation or wrapping it up and coming back.

If your husband can hold on until after Labor Day he’ll likely be rushed into the gig followed by a gently caress load of mandatory overtime until after New Years. But my cousin works in Long Island and IIRC you’re in PA so the timing may be different.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Nystral posted:

Yes and no.

Is the center a union shop? At my cousins center it’s union so things move slowly. UPS in general seems like a clusterfuck based on his stories but it’s very dependent on the center. One thing to keep in mind is that we’re at a point where most of the senior folk are on vacation or wrapping it up and coming back.

If your husband can hold on until after Labor Day he’ll likely be rushed into the gig followed by a gently caress load of mandatory overtime until after New Years. But my cousin works in Long Island and IIRC you’re in PA so the timing may be different.

Yeah, it's a union shop. I make decent enough money, but I can't cover all of the bills myself. My husband has debated going back to working at Firestone, even if flat rate is a scam.

I don't think he'll be able to hang on until labor day, but central PA seems to be a big hub, hopefully they'll get to him soon.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shame on an IGA posted:

It helps a lot that the naval officers corps largely is an honest-to-god hereditary aristocracy.

For what it’s worth, even merchant ships have separate officer / unlicensed dinning room, and the officers have bigger rooms.

Whether the division is respected depends on the ship*, but at the end of the day do you want to eat with a guy you spend eight hours a day stuck with?

*foreign flag ships absolutely, :canada: the division tends to fall along cultural lines, namely Newfie / English / French / others.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

For what it’s worth, even merchant ships have separate officer / unlicensed dinning room, and the officers have bigger rooms.

Whether the division is respected depends on the ship*, but at the end of the day do you want to eat with a guy you spend eight hours a day stuck with?

*foreign flag ships absolutely, :canada: the division tends to fall along cultural lines, namely Newfie / English / French / others.

US flags the unlicensed (SUP/MFU at least) enforce this. The MFU electricians make more than 3rds and they have strong contracts (although they recently took the actual food items out of the contract). Its really more of a how much responsibility do you want thing over class.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Yeah, it's a union shop. I make decent enough money, but I can't cover all of the bills myself. My husband has debated going back to working at Firestone, even if flat rate is a scam.

I don't think he'll be able to hang on until labor day, but central PA seems to be a big hub, hopefully they'll get to him soon.

Have to think in terms of shipping flows. This is probably a low point in terms of door to door stuff. Post labor day is when things start to pick up and they want to be gearing up their workers for the holiday rush. So right now, yes, they are stringing him along because they need him for the holidays.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 6, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Maybe also ask in the retail thread, I think there are some UPS people there.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks for the insights, I'll check in the retail thread too. I needed some help with this situation.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
This dude works at UPS so maybe he has some insight.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Godholio posted:

I smoked until I was on Jump Status, then was dipping or chewing for the next nine years because you can't smoke near aircraft. Green Ramp was always a sea of spit, and you could tell where the sticks were by the lines on the tarmac. McChord wasn't nearly as bad because of fewer airborne ops.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If there was a defined number of cigarettes you could smoke before getting lung cancer, I probably passed that three months into Afghanistan.

If you want overall health of troops to go up, make it so there’s another activity you can do that leadership won’t gently caress with. Half of the reason I kept smoking after I got back was because smoke breaks are sacred for some reason.*

*smoke breaks are still sacred even in my office job.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 6, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Our whole team smoked in all the field problems in 2003.

The motherfuckers all quit over block leave before we deployed to Iraq in 2004. So I was the only taking smoke breaks. Which is about as lonely as you think

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

The motherfuckers all quit over block leave before we deployed to Iraq in 2004. So I was the only taking smoke breaks. Which is about as lonely as you think

My solo smoke breaks on my fob were about the best peace I could get on that godforsaken strip of wind blown dirt. It was borderline magical.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't smoke, but I always went out with the smokers. If they ain't gotta work, neither do I.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

My solo smoke breaks on my fob were about the best peace I could get on that godforsaken strip of wind blown dirt. It was borderline magical.

I have a weird but fond memory of hanging out on top of the command post on our fob smoking at night. The only cooler thing was seeing random jackals or a fennec once I think.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I have a weird but fond memory of hanging out on top of the command post on our fob smoking at night. The only cooler thing was seeing random jackals or a fennec once I think.

smoking cigarettes and watching shooting stars

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve run into a lot or smokers who think no one else is entitled to take a load off for 5 minutes, despite them taking 10-15 every hour.

One of our idiots who thankfully transferred last year once stood in the middle of the shop and called every single vape store within driving distance looking for some modification he wanted, for an hour. Nobody told him to stop because no one really wanted him to have to talk to him, and he’s too dense to let it sink in anyway.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Military-adjacent stupidity:

At this point my assumption's that anything specifically advertised for servicemembers is either a scam, or poorly done, or both.

that looks like recon jane wayne day lol

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

PookBear posted:

smoking cigarettes and watching shooting stars

It's dumb how much nostalgia I have for that

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

GD_American posted:

I quit smoking on deployment for this exact reason. Got really drat lonely burning one at 3am alone after about a month. Picked smoking back up once I got back stateside because of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pine Cone Jones posted:

It's dumb how much nostalgia I have for that

I've never seen a starfield like the one over Baqubah. On a blackout base so no light pollution from there, and the town, well...obviously didn't put out much light. I do miss that