Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Fortnine put out a new video around helmets. Guess I'm buying at minimum ECE helmets from now on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yu124i3Bo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BabelFish posted:

Fortnine put out a new video around helmets. Guess I'm buying at minimum ECE helmets from now on.

Preferably with the new ECE 22.06 rating or FIM sticker.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Vented summer glove chat:
I've been sporting the Dainese MIG C2 this summer and have no complaints; they stay cool and fit well, no unusual wear on them yet either. Ok one minor complaint: not touch-screen compatible. I bought the stick-on fingertip things for them and have yet to use my phone with them on anyway.

Helmet chat: I didn't even consider anything that wasn't ECE-rated when shopping, after watching Fortnine's other videos on the topic. I've been around roller derby long enough to know you don't cut corners when it comes to protecting the brain.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 27, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BabelFish posted:

I hate that SNELL is confusing things to just keep existing. Because it's not cut and dry still. The RF1400 for instance is DOT and SNELL2020, but as the video points out it's probably that lesser snell test because Shoei specifically made that helmet softer so it would crumple (f9 also had a video on this). My HJC is70 is also snell 2020, but I'm hoping it only meets the lesser snell guidelines and they took the internal visor out (snell helmets can't have internal visors) and it's just basically an ECE rated lid that they sell all over.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Megabook posted:

I got stung on the neck by a wasp on the way into work last week. Don't forget your Buff!

I am sad I lost my buff when I totaled my bike last month :/. I guess I can attempt to find an even more rad design for one than rainbow fish scales.

Russian Bear posted:

The Quantic is new and has the latest ECE .6 classification. Might be hard to find though in the US.

I found one, but I move in a month to a state with 8% less income tax so... hopefully I can find one still.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wear a proper full faced helmet and abrasion resistant clothes. Deal with heat by using a CamelBak full of ice water.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Or take a tip from the boxers (and Iain Dowie) and put vaseline on your eyebrows to divert the sweat around your eyes.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Supradog posted:

For shortie summer I use the Knox orsa leather
https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/knox-orsa-leather-glove-black.html

Boa lacing
Scapiod sliders
Leather main construction
Soft gel knuckle protection.

I'm very happy with them

Their textile ones are ace. Bought a second pair just in case the first one self-disassembles and they stop selling them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I really need to get around to getting a fresh pair, 6 years in and the fingers are wearing through in mine. Inflation is a bitch though, that first pair was only £70, they're over £100 now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

They do an excellent sale at Christmas time. 75% off.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll keep an eye out but they tend to clear out of my size first, S/8 seems pretty common. I managed to pick up some good waterproofs in their last clearance sale though so who knows.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Man these Revit Airwave 3 pants are weird as hell. I took a cue from the undersized jacket and ordered it a size up, and since they always seem to be a default 32" inseam and knee armor floating around my shin, I got them in a short. First time I've ever ordered something as an XL Short, but they fit me (width and inseam) perfectly.

That said, the knee armor is a mystery. The width of the pants around the knee means the armor panel is just floating around, and I have zero faith that in a crash the armor would be in the spot it's supposed to be.

I just want some extreme heat riding pants with built in armor for less than $800 or whatever.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I got the Airwave 3 trousers in 3XL, short.

I have not noticed the armour floating around. They fit just right, the built in "belt" around the waist is tightened to 80%.

Maybe you need fatter/more muscular legs to keep the armour in place!

In all seriousness though, return them if the armor is floaty and poo poo, and get something else. Someone here just recommended a Rukka air something, try that (but it'll be expensive!).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

You can always get strap on knee pads to go under them. I’m experimenting with spandex/Kevlar leggings with armor pockets under riding pants to try to keep the armor in the right place.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

In all seriousness though, return them if the armor is floaty and poo poo, and get something else. Someone here just recommended a Rukka air something, try that (but it'll be expensive!).

Yea they're already on their way back. Seems like the barrier for entry to Rukka Airs is actually finding them somewhere. I'd also really like to find something white or light gray, because black summer gear just seems like an oxymoron to me.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can always get strap on knee pads to go under them. I’m experimenting with spandex/Kevlar leggings with armor pockets under riding pants to try to keep the armor in the right place.

That's what I'm hoping to avoid. I have a set of Dainese knee/shin armor that work great, but they're probably overkill for most applications. They're also not the most comfortable, as the anti-slip stuff kinda pulls my leg hair.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Your thoughts on black gear is exactly why my Revit Airwave jacket and trousers are silver.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Strife posted:

Yea they're already on their way back. Seems like the barrier for entry to Rukka Airs is actually finding them somewhere. I'd also really like to find something white or light gray, because black summer gear just seems like an oxymoron to me.

That's what I'm hoping to avoid. I have a set of Dainese knee/shin armor that work great, but they're probably overkill for most applications. They're also not the most comfortable, as the anti-slip stuff kinda pulls my leg hair.

Buying a pair of yoga tights on Amazon (3/4 length) was one of the best gear additions. Wicks sweat and helps with any rough edges inside my revit pants.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks for the Schuberth recommendations, got a nearly-new C4 Pro for $400 locally. Seems like a winner!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

RF-1400s are back in stock at Revzilla. I kind of wanted to get my first non-solid color helmet, but they don't have this one in XL and I figured I should just get another matte metallic blue while they're still in stock.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm pretty sad, I bought an RF-1400 and realized that the Shoeis never really fit my head shape. The RF-1200 fit fine enough because the bottom of the helmet was open enough that I didn't get crown pinching because my jaw would just rest lower in the helmet. I wore the 1400 for 30 minutes and got pretty bad pinching so I've ordered an Arai Quantum-X (round oval) instead.

I'm hoping it fits a lot better but even if it does man-- the helmet is more expensive, looks stupid and has really dumb rear end "features" like the side pods on the visor joints. Also no transition visor. Also the mirrored visors look cheap and garbage. For a 700$ helmet. ALSO the way the visor lifts is loving stupid, why the gently caress would I ever want a LATCH that I have to activate to lift the visor???? Wore Shoeis for 7 years so far and never had a problem with their detented visors moving when cracked or 75% of the way up even up to like 85 mph on a naked.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I agree with you on every single one of those points. I don't know WTF Arai was thinking with that stupid loving visor latch but their current model range has had them for years. Hopefully when they design their next lineup (should be soon, I'd think) they'll get rid of them. The side pods are and always have been dumb, too. Unfortunately Arai long ovals and the XD series are the only loving helmets that will fit my mutant head so I'm stuck paying ridiculous prices for a comfortable, but giant-bobble-head-lookin helmet.

If Shoei would start making their helmets with different internal shapes they would wipe Arai off the map. All Arai has going for it are brow vents, multiple internal shapes, and customizable pads with peel-off foam to fine-tune fit. Their construction quality is excellent, but the graphics suck, the visors are meh, and their prices are asinine.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
For some reason, the more I spend on a helmet the more I hate everything about it. I don't know if the price makes me more critical, but it seems that I had way more comfort and fit issues with an arai and a simpson than I did with a bell or scorpion.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

I agree with you on every single one of those points. I don't know WTF Arai was thinking with that stupid loving visor latch but their current model range has had them for years. Hopefully when they design their next lineup (should be soon, I'd think) they'll get rid of them. The side pods are and always have been dumb, too. Unfortunately Arai long ovals and the XD series are the only loving helmets that will fit my mutant head so I'm stuck paying ridiculous prices for a comfortable, but giant-bobble-head-lookin helmet.

If Shoei would start making their helmets with different internal shapes they would wipe Arai off the map. All Arai has going for it are brow vents, multiple internal shapes, and customizable pads with peel-off foam to fine-tune fit. Their construction quality is excellent, but the graphics suck, the visors are meh, and their prices are asinine.

the arai helmets come with super cool anime arai helmet stickers too :D

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I really hate that latch on my arai too. It does wear in a little bit making it easier to lift your visor but it's still a dumb feature. Honestly I'm probably going back to shoei after this one reaches its age limit. Just not worth the extra dough even though I got the "cheap" one (signet x)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm so jealous of the HJC my friend got on clearance, the thing has everything you could possibly want and more and already costs nothing while not on sale. Meanwhile my huge noggin fits nothing but the most expensive helmets. At least none of the manufacturers at this price point would dare not include a sun visor or pinlock.

Do you guys have a backup helmet? Had to get a part warrantied and the dealer wanted me to send the whole helmet back. I was able to get the cushion replaced in my store with some goodwill by the clerk, but I am wondering how to deal with this sort of situation if I really needed to send it back.
Also could have tried going directly to Schuberth I guess.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I have about as many helmets as I have pairs of gloves, so yes :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

:same:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My HJC i10 will be my backup as soon as I can find a white RF1400 in stock.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

right arm posted:

wait is this not true for everyone :confused:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I wish the HJC IS-17 was still in production, the i70 (its replacement) is poo poo in comparison.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
I’ve got an HJC RPHA-70, which I’m enjoying. It seems to have features that, from the Italian and Japanese brands, one would need to pay 30% more more. Honestly though, I only bought this particular model because after trying literally every other helmet in the shop (And there were many) This is the one that fit my head best, even compared to other HJC’s??

I don’t have many data points for comparison, but I’m quite chuffed so far. I’m in love with the internal-flip-down-sun-visor, and looking forward to using the included pinlock shield bit thing included when the weather starts to turn the standard PNW way.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's smoky as gently caress here this morning, smells like a wood fire (because of all the wood fires, obv.) I started coughing as soon as I poked my head outside so I begged off riding to work in favor of sitting in my car breathing air that's passed through a HEPA filter. Any ideas for a particulate mask that fits into a full face? My covid mask just fucks off as soon as I try sliding my helmet down.

Jesus, I hope that's the most climate change thing I ever have to say in my life. I know it won't be, but I can hope.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Phy posted:

It's smoky as gently caress here this morning, smells like a wood fire (because of all the wood fires, obv.) I started coughing as soon as I poked my head outside so I begged off riding to work in favor of sitting in my car breathing air that's passed through a HEPA filter. Any ideas for a particulate mask that fits into a full face? My covid mask just fucks off as soon as I try sliding my helmet down.

Jesus, I hope that's the most climate change thing I ever have to say in my life. I know it won't be, but I can hope.

I'd try a regular old 3M R95 first. If the straps go around the back of your head they might move a bit when you put the helmet on. If that means they won't work at all you could try one with over-the-ear straps and see if that does any better.

Failing that tape a piece of R95 over the chin vent inlet on the inside of the helmet, close all the rest of your vents and use a chin curtain + buff or scarf to close up as much of the gap around your neck as you can.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If your air quality gets bad in your home, these things are supposed to work pretty well:

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/how-make-high-merv-diy-portable-air-cleaner/

I bought a Coway air purifier and made a simple box fan + single filter setup last October when the air was horrible from fires, and my purple air sensor still showed the house as pretty decent most of the time. The trick is just not leaving the house.

My replacement helmet is finally here:

But now half my friends think the matte blue color is cursed but the other half (and me) think it's my lucky color, so I'm going with that.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

But why are they all black 😢

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Revvik posted:

Because everything goes with black. They're actually all for wildly different purposes. The top left is a car helmet for auto racing, the bottom right is my wife's helmet, the one above it is for dirt. The HJC on the shelf is my former/backup helmet I got before my RF1200 and I can't stand it anymore. The middle is my first ever helmet, and the Ruroc one is trash.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Revvik posted:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

You need some loud in your life.

Ignore the variant, it got phased out in 2019.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

I like to be pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Revvik posted:

I like to be pretty.

What's that middle one and is it any good? Looks rad as hell.