Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one of the many godawful adaptations of an excellent book.

Okay but that tells me nothing. Why does it warrant that reaction? What’s wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay but that tells me nothing. Why does it warrant that reaction? What’s wrong with it?

It was done by Ghibli with direction by Hayao Miyazaki's son Goro. The original author kinda disowned it for being really different from her books, and (from Wikipedia)

"During a private screening prior to the release of the film, Gorō's father, Hayao, was asked how he thought of the film. He said "I was looking at my kid. He's not an adult yet. That is all."

so Hayao owned his son pretty hard about it too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ironically, that makes two instances where a Miyazaki adapts a book poorly. Looking at you Howl's Moving Castle.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Howl’s was a good movie regardless of the quality of adaptation and still had Miyazaki vibes. Earthsea decided to add a villain that needed to be defeated in single combat. It doesn’t feel like a Miyazaki movie thematically, it doesn’t feel like an Earthsea tale, and it isn’t particularly good even putting those issues aside.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RubberLuffy posted:

It was done by Ghibli with direction by Hayao Miyazaki's son Goro. The original author kinda disowned it for being really different from her books, and (from Wikipedia)

"During a private screening prior to the release of the film, Gorō's father, Hayao, was asked how he thought of the film. He said "I was looking at my kid. He's not an adult yet. That is all."

so Hayao owned his son pretty hard about it too.

If I recall, the two did reconcile about it with dad saying that he made them movie honestly or some such thing and that he was proud of him.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Howl's sucked. Very pretty movie but it felt very hollow thematically and had a very jumbled plot. And I'm not gonna give bonus points to a Miyazaki movie being pretty, they're all gorgeous. Even allowing for the fact it had a pretty troubled production and Miyazaki came on to replace Mamoru Hosoda I'm not gonna call it a good film

Actually looking it up Roger Ebert puts it way better than I ever can
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/howls-moving-castle-2005

quote:

All of this is presented, as only Miyazaki can, in animation of astonishing invention and detail. The Castle itself threatens to upstage everything else that happens in the movie, and notice the way its protuberances move in time with its lumbering progress, not neglecting the sphincteresque gun turret at the rear. Sophie, old or young, never quite seems to understand and inhabit this world; unlike Kiki of the delivery service or Chihiro, the heroine of "Spirited Away," she seems more witness than heroine. A parade of weird characters comes onstage to do their turns, but the underlying plot grows murky and, amazingly for a Miyazaki film, we grow impatient at spectacle without meaning.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I actually liked Howl's for its spectacle building. Anime's escapist fantasy, yo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Manga is Bakuon Rettou. Not a big fan of Takahashi Tsutomu's style of drawing faces, making them look overly cartoony/rubbery almost, but goddamn can he do some nice spreads.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Apparently in Japan, Judas Priest can be used to exorcise spirits.

The More You Know! :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU

EDIT: I think the artist straight-up copied the Youtube page. The #Metal tag almost lines up.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 4, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is that mieruko?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yep!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, so she finally found people who can help her. the constant helpless terror was a bit much.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

X

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Kine-san no 1-ri de Cinema

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't think murder has a statute of limitations

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't think murder has a statute of limitations

It does in Japan.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vonnie posted:

It does in Japan.

Google says they abolished the statute in 2010.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Oh, well that's good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:nws: I’ve heard of a SACK FLY but this is ridiculous! :nws:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

He's way too young to be able to do that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Rooster Fighter

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ah, the tanooki method.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm probably the only person both on this forum and the planet that's read it, but i've attempted to read samurai deeper kyo again. it's been like at least more than a decade since last i did so. unfortunately all the manga translation sites i've been to have fan translations, not the ones done by tokyo pop. i honestly didn't think this was going to be a big deal, but it seems it is. tokyo pop, for all their faults, did some really, really good localization (well, at least for SDK). these scan translations don't even compare. total amateur hour. i legit can't read them any further because of this. in fact, i may just have to take the plunge and buy the actual manga :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
uzaki-chan

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

X

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

X

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

X

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

This is very cute

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Just started reading this. My God...this is...perfection. It's like Spy X Family, but with "genius" scientists to an android daughter.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

X

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Was about to ask what manga this was. Then I saw her gloves.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Was about to ask what manga this was. Then I saw her gloves.

May I Please Ask You Just One Last Thing? is still an incredible read; I never get tired of watching her dish out the pain.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eeevil