Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Sold, Iron Hands it is :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Space Marines normally produce Geneseed throughout their life span, its just harvested after a bit. It's generally how destroyed chapters rebuild and why it takes awhile.

That would make more sense and is my own head-canon. But I believe official canon is it's 'one and done' and only harvested post-mortem.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deptfordx posted:

That would make more sense and is my own head-canon. But I believe official canon is it's 'one and done' and only harvested post-mortem.

Official canon is that there are 2 from each Marine because at some point they realized otherwise was really stupid.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yes there's two, I meant it's a one-time deal on the extraction. They're not regularly harvested then regrow, which when you consider the frequency that gene-seed is damaged/bodies aren't recoverable/implantation fails would make way more sense to explain how they keep numbers up and rebuild. But apparently not.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deptfordx posted:

Yes there's two, I meant it's a one-time deal on the extraction. They're not regularly harvested then regrow, which when you consider the frequency that gene-seed is damaged/bodies aren't recoverable/implantation fails would make way more sense to explain how they keep numbers up and rebuild. But apparently not.

Warhammer handles scale more poorly than any other setting I can think of tbh. Like there could literally be one million times as many Space Marines as there are canonically and they'd still be far too rare to play anywhere near the roles they do in the lore.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

In some sources one of the two progenoids is harvested earlly and then the second when the marine dies, or both at once if they die earlier. You still need two to put into a new marine though so :shrug:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arquinsiel posted:

In some sources one of the two progenoids is harvested earlly and then the second when the marine dies, or both at once if they die earlier. You still need two to put into a new marine though so :shrug:

I thought you only need one, and they grew the second?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There's two progenoid glands that typically get harvested at death, but they're like testes and they each contain multitudes. The Apothecaries harvest the stem cells and culture them into new gene seed organs. Each Astartes can create many more, though it takes 10 years for the full cycle.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 6, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I thought you only need one, and they grew the second?
Most recent thing I read with them was the Marneus Calgar comic, and he says he gots two implanted so...

:iiam:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fearless posted:

The Iron Hands are fascinating because of all that unrealized potential. The death of their primarch was incredibly traumatic for them and especially harmful because he himself recognized that the path the legion was on was not a healthy one at all. Ferrus was trying to work on his legion's emotional repression when he died, and his death served to catalyze an extreme reaction that undid all his work and robbed them of what they could be for ten thousand years. Their story is every bit as tragic as a lot of the traitor legions.

They're my Big Favourites and I'm glad they're getting more development and characters and such lately

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zore posted:

Warhammer handles scale more poorly than any other setting I can think of tbh. Like there could literally be one million times as many Space Marines as there are canonically and they'd still be far too rare to play anywhere near the roles they do in the lore.

You could add 2 or 3 zeroes to most numbers in 40k and they'd make much more sense

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Progenoid glands are stored in the balls.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Not just marines. I just reread the first Watchers on the Throne book, and there's a bit where one of the characthers is musing about the massive relief force of guardsmen being sent to Cadia. That's taken years to assemble etc.

And it's half a million men.

Which sounds a lot, but it really isn't

There were hundreds of millions of combatants in WW2.

Half a million+ is an Army Group, there were 3 main army groups (plus smaller formation like the airborne forces) just taking part in the Allied assault on Germany in the west. That's one side on one front.

Sending half a million guys to what is supposed to be a massive world wide, total war campaign isn't reinforcement, it's homeopathy.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Biplane posted:

Progenoid glands are stored in the balls.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

They're my Big Favourites and I'm glad they're getting more development and characters and such lately

I’m curious to read more about them, any recommendations?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

Not just marines. I just reread the first Watchers on the Throne book, and there's a bit where one of the characthers is musing about the massive relief force of guardsmen being sent to Cadia. That's taken years to assemble etc.

And it's half a million men.

Which sounds a lot, but it really isn't

There were hundreds of millions of combatants in WW2.

Half a million+ is an Army Group, there were 3 main army groups (plus smaller formation like the airborne forces) just taking part in the Allied assault on Germany in the west. That's one side on one front.

Sending half a million guys to what is supposed to be a massive world wide, total war campaign isn't reinforcement, it's homeopathy.
It's worth noting that most people are completely unaware of the concept of "teeth to tail ratio", so that half a million men probably requires another one to five million just to get them to the fight, make sure they have food, ammo, socks etc.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Where can I read more about the Iron Hands outside of the codex? I've read the first 20+ Horus Heresy books, so I'm familiar with the death of Ferrus, but not much outside of that.

HH:
- Angel Exterminatus apparently features them prominently, I skipped that one.
- Meduson (an anthology of IH stories)

40k:
- Wrath of Iron
- Iron Hands
- The Voice of Mars

Anything else I need to check out?

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Is there some reason why the Thramas campaign is so glossed over in the HH series? Trying to read through more chronologically and that whole thing is a mess with short stories coming out before Vulkan lives which precedes it then more short stories come later.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even Abnett walked back some of his sillier scale issues from earlier Ghosts books. The first few books refer to Slaydo's crusade as being a million men strong. The newer books put this at nearly two billion active combatants and Throne knows how many support units.

It's neat that the Sabbat crusade actually has some logistics issues for transporting all the men. They bring old ships out of mothballs when they can't spare the heavier cruisers for milk runs or suicide missions.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even Abnett walked back some of his sillier scale issues from earlier Ghosts books. The first few books refer to Slaydo's crusade as being a million men strong. The newer books put this at nearly two billion active combatants and Throne knows how many support units.

It's neat that the Sabbat crusade actually has some logistics issues for transporting all the men. They bring old ships out of mothballs when they can't spare the heavier cruisers for milk runs or suicide missions.

And if you need Space Marines for a black ops strike force?

You can have three. Not three squads.

Three marines.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hell, he starts to fix the number as early as Necropolis, where the number of enemy infantry in first wave of the siege of Vervunhive alone is estimated at somewhere between half a million to 1.5 or more.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Three marines.

Pfft, 3 marines or Oan(1) Mkoll

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Progenoid canon is that one is implanted in new marines and then a 2nd one grows in 5-10 years. Some chapters have a policy of removing one as soon as it is mature while others wait until death or if they are being sent into something particularly risky they'll mass harvest from all the marines participating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Three marines.

But one of them is named Holofurnace. Holo. Furnace.

I loving love that name.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If only the rest of his squad had been available.

Fullstove, Uncutboiler, Totalsmithy. And of course Brother Sergeant Unexpurgatedkiln. Heroes all.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

But one of them is named Holofurnace. Holo. Furnace.

I loving love that name.

Can't remember - did he lose his head?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holofernes

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

D-Pad posted:

Progenoid canon is that one is implanted in new marines and then a 2nd one grows in 5-10 years. Some chapters have a policy of removing one as soon as it is mature while others wait until death or if they are being sent into something particularly risky they'll mass harvest from all the marines participating.
This is what I thought. Thus an extra progenoid in exchange for a limited lifespan, and a primarch whose doctrine is transhuman wave attacks with his 20+ million murderchildren after turning a planet into a Space Marine mill.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shroud posted:

Can't remember - did he lose his head?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holofernes

Oh I know that he's a pun on Holofernes, I just think the spelling Holofurnace is amazing and hilarious.

he doesn't get decapitated by Judith but he does die while fighting hundreds of sek cultists to let Mkoll and Milo take out the Anarch. while fighting naked

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Ghosts are called out in fiction as having a massive swarm of camp followers, as every regiment does, but a lot of the baseline logistical work (arming, feeding and so on) is handled by the Munitorium, which is at least as big as the Guard and exists for that purpose only

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sextro posted:

I’m curious to read more about them, any recommendations?

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Where can I read more about the Iron Hands outside of the codex? I've read the first 20+ Horus Heresy books, so I'm familiar with the death of Ferrus, but not much outside of that.

HH:
- Angel Exterminatus apparently features them prominently, I skipped that one.
- Meduson (an anthology of IH stories)

40k:
- Wrath of Iron
- Iron Hands
- The Voice of Mars

Anything else I need to check out?

The current ongoing Iron Hands trilogy (The Voice of Mars and The Eye of Medusa) is probably the best start, but as mentioned above Chris Wraight's Wrath of Iron novel is excellent. Jonathan Green's Iron Hands is also decent, but IIRC it's from 2003 or 4 and doesn't quite jive with some of the current lore.

Short story-wise Chris Wraight's Flesh, Anthony Reynolds' The Blessing of Iron and Matt Westbrook's Medusan Wings are all good.

I bought all of the non-HH Iron Hands ebooks and short stories from BL a while back, which was easy because there's not very many. Fulgrim by Graham McNeil has good Ferrus Manus time and I enjoyed the short story Faith In Iron. I also liked the Ferrus Manus primarch book, but others in this thread have been cold on it.

I really like the IH for being traumatized weirdos that are in deep self-denial. Their self-loathing and body dysmorphia make them one of the more tragic legions while their repression and complete disregard for their allies make them very grim and dark. They're a good mix of tragedy and horror

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Awesome thank you!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They still going with the whole the Iron Hands are somehow turning themselves into blanks through a combination of bionics and severe emotional repression?

This is never outright stated but is heavily implied in at least one of the books.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The short story (6 pages iirc) Iron Soul is about an IH dreadnought what don't have nothing in it

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The short story (6 pages iirc) Iron Soul is about an IH dreadnought what don't have nothing in it

Thank you for reminding me of this, and for my brain immediately going to "Warhammer Horror type of tone, with a good writer doing Iron Hands" as something to pray for.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is warhammer 40k crimes as a product dead ? I read the first two and haven't seen anything since.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Books are slow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SkyeAuroline posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this, and for my brain immediately going to "Warhammer Horror type of tone, with a good writer doing Iron Hands" as something to pray for.

A Deathwatch IH briefly shows up in the Dark Coil short story A Sanctuary of Wyrms, and it's weird and excellent

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

A Deathwatch IH briefly shows up in the Dark Coil short story A Sanctuary of Wyrms, and it's weird and excellent

I keep meaning to read more Fehervari. I should really get around to it.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Making Space Marines asexual is honestly one of the best things they've done for the lore. So many unpleasant reading moments avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Is warhammer 40k crimes as a product dead ? I read the first two and haven't seen anything since.

Nope. New anthology is going in preorder tomorrow. All the crime stuff so far has been great so I'm excited.