Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

There's news

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1423584830269247488?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess we'll know soon

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'm pretty much a 100% certain that this will be it, since I believe the chapter was previously announced and delayed and almost certainly is the last chapter Miura worked on to near-completion. It just doesn't seem very likely they'll touch the series after that, even if he's left notes on where the story would go, which itself is pretty unlikely. I probably wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I'm perfectly content with this being the last chapter.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I don't see how #364 could be a better ending than #363, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

LordMune posted:

I don't see how #364 could be a better ending than #363, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

It would hopefully mean that the final chapter doesn't feature sexual harassment as a joke, which would be an improvement for most stories but especially for Berserk considering what the main story centers around.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LordMune posted:

It could also be that they will be continuing it in some fashion. But, we'll see.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Burkion posted:

It could also be that they will be continuing it in some fashion. But, we'll see.

Is that Sanderson's music?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For full transparency, what we have does not indicate one way or the other- if this is the end, or if this is going to be the continuation

But we will be getting an announcement on the 10th of September. There's a good reddit post on this that sums it up-

'For those wondering, this isn't the public announcement we're expecting from Young Animal.

This is a leaked (legitimate) information, sourced from Heiji-sama from the SkullKnight.net forum, who always shares information about the Berserk releases a couple of days before the publication of the Young Animal issue.

I expect that there'll be the formal announcement about this chapter and (hopefully) more information about the future of Berserk at that time.

If not with the upcoming Young Animal issue, we will absolutely get information about the future at the time of the Berserk Exhibition (September 10th), which will start at the exact same date of release of the new chapter. Again, this is no coincidence: the Exhibition was initially supposed to happen at the same date of release of chapter 363 and was planned to have the video message from Miura, so I think the Exhibition was always supposed to have a big announcement of sorts.'

So

One way or the other, we'll know soon.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

But first we must journey on a boat for a really long time to get there. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think this will be a very bittersweet release, come September. Bitter for a very long time but I'd be really keen to see the messages booklet translated.

It's been quite a while since Miura passed and I'm sort of happy if Young Animal release anything Miura had left behind in a finished form but I don't want any Berserk that hasn't had Miura's art in it somewhere, even if it's using a framework he left behind.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The other story is drawn by his assistants in his style, if he had an outline of what he wanted to happen in the story, I'm fine with someone taking over like with Wheel of Time

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The other story is drawn by his assistants in his style, if he had an outline of what he wanted to happen in the story, I'm fine with someone taking over like with Wheel of Time

Same, to be honest, I would love to see this make it to completion with his intended ending, but I know that's not my choice

Still so drat tragic :smith:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Given the involvement his assistants had to have had over the years, there has to be someone they'd trust to do it justice if they want to I would think.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
If his assistants feel comfortable continuing the story I'd be fine with that. I understand if they don't though, what a huge weight to bear.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Wonder if they could just add a subtitle so a continuation could follow a soft conclusion to the series. That way it would be easier to see the original series as having an end. So if they do continue, it’s a clear delineation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If there is a continuation, to better differentiate from Miura's work it should be drawn exclusively in a chibi SD style.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Berserk: Like A Truck

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Berserk Babies, they make their dreams come true~

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

I hope an assistant takes it over and drags it OOOOOUUT
Falconia fighting tournament arc, Captain Sharkrider gaiden, etc.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The ending is as perfect as it is, all things considered. There was a surprising amount of closure and the continuing plot from there can pretty much be inferred. I really hope this next chapter is just a memorial to an incredible artist and doesn’t touch the actual story.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'd really like to see the collected remaining notes and unfinished panels and sketches. Unfortunately they'll probably show up in individual batches at auction for thirty years if they exist, and I wouldn't be able to read them anyway.

Having some sort of outline is fairly typical, but I suppose it's wishful thinking that there would be a drafted ending. There's probably at least ten of them.

I guess I'm still in denial, haha. I was patiently waiting to see the resolution, confident that we'd make it and I'd be alive long enough to arrive. Now it's up to me to envision my own resolution and I fear I may be far less optimistic than Miura.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Preview for the next chapter

And it is being called "The Newest Chapter"

not the last

So, we have more to come after this.

The Struggle continues!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna be a whole new world of heartbreak to this story moving forward

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wanna believe in his staff and studio but man I just don't know about continuing the series on past Miura's death. :(

That panel of Casca smiling and holding the child though. :unsmith:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

I wanna believe in his staff and studio but man I just don't know about continuing the series on past Miura's death. :(

That panel of Casca smiling and holding the child though. :unsmith:

It could be that they're doing that

It could be that they're going to run through the backlog of chapters he had- which could be a lot

but at the very least, for now, its not over. Maybe it'll only be another chapter after this, maybe it'll be picked up by his team- but the story of Berserk will continue. And I am thankful for that, if nothing else.

If they choose to finish out his backlog and then share the rest of his notes/plans, I would be more than happy. And, if his students decide/are allowed to take up Berserk themselves, going off of his notes, I will give them every chance in the world to prove themselves.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just going to take a moment and say that while it is not ok that Miura arguably worked himself into the grave, I am immensely grateful that he was evidently professional enough to keep notes and a plan to allow the story to conclude in some manner.

George R R Martin could stand to learn a thing or two.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m not banking on newest not meaning last, we don’t know how these magazines decide to label final chapters in circumstances like this. But it does provide ambiguity about whether there will be more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ccs posted:

I’m not banking on newest not meaning last, we don’t know how these magazines decide to label final chapters in circumstances like this. But it does provide ambiguity about whether there will be more.

They would advertise it as the final chapter. None of the language points to that here.

This isn't the last chapter.

I could be wrong and their advertising team is just really lovely, but I'm 99% sure, the way they're marketing this, they expect to put out at least one more chapter after.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'd already mentally closed this book and now I don't know how to feel about there being more.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm glad for a new chapter, really wasn't expecting to hear anything this soon though. Not a bad thing, for sure.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe they're running up to what would be the endpoint of the gn version?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

After Kentaro Miura died I wrote a really heartfelt post here, in hindsight a little cringe but Berserk was pretty important during my formative years so I was pretty sad about his death. Enough stuff has accumulated to convince me that Miura was a bit disturbed and had some extremely concerning takes on stuff like shota/lolicon being illegalized to go with art that becomes extremely concerning in that light in his other manga, and in Berserk as well, and I don't feel the same way anymore so I memoryholed it.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 4, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah I'd like to see more Berserk if the creative team has Miura's concepts and prep work available to them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If he laid out a comprehensive plan of what he wanted to have happen

As a creative, I would like to see that through if possible. If they feel like they're up to it. and I specify creative because that's what I would want to happen. I would want people to see the end of my story even if I had already passed.

If it was just vague notes and they'd be making up most of it, or worse, all of it, no. Let Berserk end

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Best result you get Sanderson finishing Wheel of Time, worst result you get Kevin J Anderson’s Dune sequels.

Not sure I want to roll those dice.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd actually say best result is Christopher Tolkien situation. Going through publishing the raw notes with commentary, and cleaning up the mostly finished stuff to be finished stories.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean he said he thought he would be doing this for like 20 more years so that idea is unrealistic considering he already had delays for whatever we’re his reasons.

I think people need to accept Berserk as he envisioned it just won’t happen

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

"best result" might be Christopher Tolkien but that was also a very different medium in a very different industry and literally the man's son who had probably been immersed in Tolkien's work for his entire life.

Berserk just isn't the same situation and I can't really see it panning out that way. I don't think ghostwriting is even a thing in the world of manga. The closest I can think of was Togashi's wife offering to draw HxH and that never even happened (I think)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tosk posted:

If the next chapter ends with a gag from Puck (I'm sure it won't, please god let it not)

Well now that you say it I want this to happen. Puck keeps Guts and us grounded after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's obvious what needs to happen.

Tosk, have fun writing the rest of Berserk.