Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

so all in all, he wasn't kidding, the "cancel culture" he's talking about isn't the normal kind of internet shaming or mob mentality but rather the shut down of people he personally agrees with but who are spreading awful disinformation, he believes in globalist conspiracies bordering on anti-semitism, and he legitimately does put his stock into alt-right personalities and websites.

Pretty much, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The D-Reaper eating programs that got too big for 1980s computers was actually a metaphor for when "They" silence honest people Just Asking Questions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Like obviously there's a bunch of people still excited for the new Top Gun even though we know a lot more about Tom Cruise as a person that they may not be comfortable with. But it crosses a line if the actual plot of Top Gun sees Maverick take on Xenu as a squadmate. That's what they've done here; they wasted the time of anyone who cares about Tamers.

Oh so that exains why he says in the new trailer "I feel the need... the need for OT3!"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man, Remember when the most worrying thing we had to deal with was Frountier (and/or Xross Hunters) being a little crap?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Man, Remember when the most worrying thing we had to deal with was Frountier (and/or Xross Hunters) being a little crap?

frankly im still more concerned about that

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Endorph posted:

its fine to integrate this stuff into the plot if he believes it or wants to discuss it

I would take a big yikes anyway if people want to work their personal beliefs into a Digimon cartoon. That really isn't the place for someone with an opinion to espouse on geopolitical trends.

This kind of stuff is why I had to step away from wrestling eventually. I know what Vince McMahon's opinion of US politics is, I can make peace with him being a old-timey-racist labor exploiting chud to watch Becky vs Sasha have a feud over a title belt, but I can't put up with the evil "wrestling antifa" faction or whatever other strawmen for people he dislikes comes next.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

frankly im still more concerned about that

Buddy, we know

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I would take a big yikes anyway if people want to work their personal beliefs into a Digimon cartoon. That really isn't the place for someone with an opinion to espouse on geopolitical trends.

This kind of stuff is why I had to step away from wrestling eventually. I know what Vince McMahon's opinion of US politics is, I can make peace with him being a old-timey-racist labor exploiting chud to watch Becky vs Sasha have a feud over a title belt, but I can't put up with the evil "wrestling antifa" faction or whatever other strawmen for people he dislikes comes next.

I mean some of the core messages of Tamers were "the government is spying on you and this is a Bad Thing", "unchecked AI development is dangerous and will lead to wild, unimaginable consequences if not treated with the utmost respect and consideration", and "artificial life that has shown proven signs of sentience deserves to be treated rights and respect, and if you think otherwise you are in the wrong."

So yeah, Tamers was political as gently caress in its day and not afraid to talk about burgeoning social changes as humanity moved into a new digital age. And then Konaka went bonkers by being too online.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConanThe3rd posted:

Man, Remember when the most worrying thing we had to deal with was Frountier (and/or Xross Hunters) Adventure Tri and DALEK being a little crap?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's hard to believe this is the same person who gave us Jian and the Wild Bunch because he thought Digimon needed to be more multicultural.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Every new Digimon project has been some degree of horrifyingly worse than its predecessor from Adventure '99 onward. If Survive ever somehow releases, the main character is going to be an incel who talks exclusively through wojak memes and the game disc is going to be made of tannerite and will violently explode when you put it in your PS4 and boot up the game.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The card game seems to doing just fine for itself, at least.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

The card game seems to doing just fine for itself, at least.

Wait, there's a card game?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait, there's a card game?

You must have just joined the thread because I post about the card game here constantly

The fifth set, Battle of Omni, is currently launching globally, and folks, there’s a lot of Omnimons. The big deck in the meta is going to be Crusadermon/LordKnightmon, a yellow deck that’s equal parts aggro and control.

The idea is that you use the effect to play out cards like BushiAgumon, who has haste but a high play cost, Lucemon, who has a 10k body and recovers you a security (essentially a shield/reverse prize card from Pokémon) but can’t be evolved into, or Knightmon and Starmon for control elements

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 4, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

It's hard to believe this is the same person who gave us Jian and the Wild Bunch because he thought Digimon needed to be more multicultural.

That’s the thing about conspiracy theories like these, they aren’t always connected to whether or not you’re socially or culturally left. Someone can push for social justice and still talk about “COVID 1984”

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

thetoughestbean posted:

The Protocols of the Jijimon of Zion?

Reminds me of the meme that the /vg/ Digimon threads have of Jijimon being racist against recolor Digimon

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Digimon Survive will surely be good

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Checking Japanese Twitter about it, it seems there was an article about “Digimon Tamers has PC and Cancel Culture Appear as Enemies. The US Left Goes Crazy and Brands Chiaki Konaka as Far Right” which... I guess isn’t technically wrong.

I’m not sure how popular the site it’s on is or anything, I just found a decent number of tweets sharing it or commenting on it. The comments are what you’d expect. There’s a blog post with a similar sentiment that I saw getting shared a bit too, but otherwise I haven’t found much else that’s interesting.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Craptacular! posted:

You mock my brother SLAPJACK?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know, I think we need some positivity in here. Obviously, important social issues shouldn't be ignored, but they've been discussed to death and I think we all know where each of us stand on certain topics at the moment.

Let's get the ball rolling. Let's discuss stuff from the franchise that we each ironically love.

Like this. Hunters had its lowpoints, but I'll never not love this moment.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a moment in the finale of Xros Wars where Taiki dodges a swipe from Bagramon by doing a backflip and it made me laugh out loud when I was watching it. The show never had Taiki ever show that level of athleticism before that point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

i mean its not like those opinions are contradictory

i really appreciate them using the plural starmons here

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

Let's get the ball rolling. Let's discuss stuff from the franchise that we each ironically love.

Hunters was essentially a continuous lowpoint, but Masaru is, as per usual, the absolute best and makes everything better. God, I love that very violent, very powerful idiot. Dude punched God. He cannot be stopped.

Also seeing the Starmons card only reminds me that the actual, original Starmon has not gotten a card yet and that makes me very sad because it's one of my favourite Digimon ever. Starmons, SuperStarmon, ShootingStarmon all got one, but the OG did not. Unacceptable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

You know, I think we need some positivity in here. Obviously, important social issues shouldn't be ignored, but they've been discussed to death and I think we all know where each of us stand on certain topics at the moment.

I give it a lot of poo poo because it's always fun and in vogue to do, but I really actually wholeheartedly enjoyed Adventure 02 and what it tried to do (aside from the epilogue). It's got a lot of pieces that don't ultimately fit together well, but taken on their own there's some absolutely incredible moments in it. Everyone gets their moment to shine and be a kickass awesome team player.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s a moment in the finale of Xros Wars where Taiki dodges a swipe from Bagramon by doing a backflip and it made me laugh out loud when I was watching it. The show never had Taiki ever show that level of athleticism before that point

I mean the start of the series is him being an occasional ringer for literally every sports team in his school.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Checking Japanese Twitter about it, it seems there was an article about “Digimon Tamers has PC and Cancel Culture Appear as Enemies. The US Left Goes Crazy and Brands Chiaki Konaka as Far Right” which... I guess isn’t technically wrong.

I’m not sure how popular the site it’s on is or anything, I just found a decent number of tweets sharing it or commenting on it. The comments are what you’d expect. There’s a blog post with a similar sentiment that I saw getting shared a bit too, but otherwise I haven’t found much else that’s interesting.

The one I see being passed around has a lot of contributions from an account created in 2019 that likes to post the New York Times op-eds saying democrats bad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Craptacular! posted:

Watch AEW instead.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also seeing the Starmons card only reminds me that the actual, original Starmon has not gotten a card yet and that makes me very sad because it's one of my favourite Digimon ever. Starmons, SuperStarmon, ShootingStarmon all got one, but the OG did not. Unacceptable.

Deathmon hasn't gotten a card either, more's the pity. That guy is my favorite ever Digimon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Every evolution song from the first four series is some level of amazing.

And despite its other failings, Adventure: followed this trend.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

Every evolution song from the first four series is some level of amazing.

And despite its other failings, Adventure: followed this trend.

Every evolution song in every series is great. That's a consistent thing that will never be broken (please don't break it, Ghost Game)

Talking about Ghost Game, V-Tamer's Izawa Hiroshi has confirmed he's not the producer for it. Yabuno Tenya is still clearly involved, so I imagine Izawa's tweet about DigiFes was to show his artist in action rather than saying he himself is involved.
https://twitter.com/donsuke_i/status/1423113122613653504

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 5, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

EmperorGreymon
[When Digivolving] <Blitz>
[Your Turn](once per turn) When this Digimon is blocked, unsuspend this Digimon and gain 1 memory for each Digimon card with [Hybrid] in its form in this Digimon's digivolution cards.

Aldamon
When your Digimon that has Tamer cards in its digivolution cards would digivolve into this card in your hand, reduce the digivolution cost by 2.
[When Digivolving] If this Digimon has a Digimon card with [Hybrid] in its form in its digivolution cards, this Digimon gets +4000DP for the turn.
Inherited: [Your Turn] While this Digimon is [Hybrid] form or [10 Warriors] Type, Option cards checked by this Digimon do not activate their [Security] effects.
And a reminder on Takuya’s ability

quote:

Kanbara Takuya BT7-085
[Security] Play this card without paying its memory cost.

[Main] (Once Per Turn) You may place 5 cards with [Hybrid] in their traits from your trash under this Tamer in any order to digivolve this card into a [KaiserGreymon] in your hand for its digivolution cost as if this card is a level 5 red Digimon.

Inherited Effect: [Your Turn] This Digimon gets +2000 DP. While this Digimon has 10000 DP or more, this Digimon gains <Security Attack +1>.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The art for all these Digimon cards look so cool, but the closest place that sells them is a six hour round trip and they're set at scalper prices online, so I'll never be able to get any :negative:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I always forget Aldamon exists, how long was he even relevant before Emperorgreymon came along?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TheHan posted:

I always forget Aldamon exists, how long was he even relevant before Emperorgreymon came along?

About 10 episodes or so? Aldamon and Beowulfmon were obsoleted by Loewemon and KaiserLeomon and then everyone was obsoleted again a few episodes after that.

Frontier is a huge mess.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 6, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of loved Cherubimon as a villain. Though it may be because of his design I just kind of love it for an inexplicable reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of loved Cherubimon as a villain. Though it may be because of his design I just kind of love it for an inexplicable reason.

I actually wanted to see more of Good Cherubimon on screen. I loved the contrast between him and Seraphimon/Ophanimon where you have these two super serious armoured angels… and a guy who looks like a throw pillow.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

That’s the thing about conspiracy theories like these, they aren’t always connected to whether or not you’re socially or culturally left. Someone can push for social justice and still talk about “COVID 1984”

i mean if this guy, konaka, is talking about :airquote: the great replacement :airquote: and how he watches youtube personalities railing against "political correctness" and "cancel culture" on his blog, then all bets are off, right

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 6, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i mean if this guy, konaka, is talking about :airquote: the great replacement :airquote: and how he watches youtube personalities railing against "political correctness" and "cancel culture" on his blog, then all bets are off, right

Iirc Konaka was talking about the Great Reset, a different conspiracy theory

Nominally a review of the most recent episode but it starts with a good discussion on the Konaka event: https://youtu.be/bUoGlHtYcA0

Tl;dr, it is that bad, the alt-right shoe absolutely fits

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 6, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So everyone who had him pegged the first time ended up being right, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I just want more virtual pets