Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah both Kei and Rai got pretty thoroughly owned, but not in a way that decisively says they're dead. They're kinda in a spot like Hot Pants was, where if they could be alive, but if they don't show up again then they're definitely dead. Speaking of Kei...

MachuPikacchu posted:

Okay so I spent last afternoon rereading JoJolion up to the current chapter and...I actually like it a lot more now? It's definitely a lot more consistent than what I originally thought, especially if you read it all in one go. The only two major inconsistencies are easy to clear up, too, if you're willing to employ a bit of headcanon:

1. Karera and the picture she shows Gappy: Karera is in possession of a picture of her with Kira and Josefumi, which is impossible given that Kira doesn't even know who she is when he dies. To fix this: in the chapter where Kira and Josefumi get attacked by Vitamin C, pretend that instead of saying he doesn't know who she is, Kira says something like, "oh, it's that girl you know, the one who took a picture of us," or something like that.

2. The flashforward: just excise it. Skip it and pretend it doesn't exist. It has no bearing on anything.

I don't know what's going to happen in the final chapter but I'm a lot more positive on the series as a whole now.

Is there a reasonable explanation for her missing from the family photo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Unfortunately not one that I can think of, but then again, I don't consider that a major inconsistency (like the fact that Rai sometimes grows back the fingers of his left hand). I'm chalking that one up to the "it's Thursday, don't worry about it" school of thought.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have yet to read all of Jojolion; would you say Gappy had a character arc unlike Giorno?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Spoilers for jojolion

Gappy has an arc, moreso than Giorno, mainly that Gappy eventually comes to a point where he understands who he is, who he wants to be, and what his main priorities should be. Giorno's arc is less an arc and more of a line since his starting point is "I want to be the leader of the mafia so that I can make sure everyone is protected" and ends with "I am now the leader of the mafia and I will make sure everyone is protected." Gappy's arc at the start is largely centered around trying to discover who he is and ends with his acceptance that he is nobody old, he is a new person, and while he has aspects of 2 dead people, he is not either one of them and doesn't need to try and search for and reintegrate into some old missing life. However, while acknowledging this, he also accepts that he is still made up of both Josefumi and Kira and wants to at least help Holy because he still has memories of how Holy helped both Kira and Josefumi.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Giorno rules actually

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

He rules the mafia, that's right.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I had forgotten how much I liked Karera's shenanigans. Kind of makes me sad Araki basically wrote her out of the story outside of flashbacks once her arc was finished.

Kind of feels like Araki had no idea what to do with her or half the Higashikata family, honestly. A lot of them spend most of the story not doing anything of relevance.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fractalairduct posted:

Giorno rules actually

yeah everyone leave my sweet italian boy alone. he just wanted to lead La Cosa Nostra and that's that.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

Giorno rules actually

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

No exaggeration, Shigechi would wipe the floor with Thanos. Harvest would rip the infinity gems from his stupid glove and he wouldn't even see it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanos snaps his finger but Shigechi has overpopulated the universe with so much harvest that statistically only harvest gets picked out except for a tiny percentage of non-harvest that gets snapped away, of which that entire portion is Thanos and his friends

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I just reread Vitamin C, and I think that the photo with Josefumi Kira and Karera kinda makes sense. It's not totally unclear whether or not Kira knows her, he just says that she's stalking Josefumi. He seems like he doesn't know her, but in the photo with the three of them he's not looking at the camera or anything. It's easy to believe she tagged along with them one day and took a selfie and Kira just ignored her the whole time. She seems to think Kira is an rear end when we first meet her anyways.

One thing I'm a bit confused on is the merging of lemons and oranges in the wall eyes. It was demonstrated and brought up again just before the rokakaka was introduced, so I think it's unlikely Araki changed his mind about it. In the Josefumi flashback, Josefumi wonders of the grafting of the branch created the New Rokakaka. I think this has kind of been assumed for a long time, but Josefumi also offhandedly speculates it could be caused by the "strange energy in these uplifted wall eyes." It's also mentioned that the two of them are near the meditation pine where Johnny buried the holy corpse. I'm guessing that the corpse somehow infected the area there with some power that combines things, and Gappy is a unique product of the New Rokakaka and that special power of that area of the wall eyes. I almost think the wall eyes themselves are there to protect the area where the corpse was, as Yotsuyu mentions its like they lifted up to "protect something."

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

One possibility with Karera is that she simply edited herself into a picture of them. Neither of them are acknowledging her, and we see the photo again and she’s not in it. That’s probably just because Araki wanted to focus on Josefumi and Kira, but it’s a very slight possibility.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

CodfishCartographer posted:

One thing I'm a bit confused on is the merging of lemons and oranges in the wall eyes. It was demonstrated and brought up again just before the rokakaka was introduced, so I think it's unlikely Araki changed his mind about it. In the Josefumi flashback, Josefumi wonders of the grafting of the branch created the New Rokakaka. I think this has kind of been assumed for a long time, but Josefumi also offhandedly speculates it could be caused by the "strange energy in these uplifted wall eyes." It's also mentioned that the two of them are near the meditation pine where Johnny buried the holy corpse. I'm guessing that the corpse somehow infected the area there with some power that combines things, and Gappy is a unique product of the New Rokakaka and that special power of that area of the wall eyes. I almost think the wall eyes themselves are there to protect the area where the corpse was, as Yotsuyu mentions its like they lifted up to "protect something."

This is my take on it, yeah. The power of the corpse, the intrinsic properties of the land, and the power of the New Locacaca were brought together by the events of the story to create Gappy. If Josefumi and Kira hadn't stolen the branch, or if they hand't grafted it where they did, or if the earthquake hadn't buried them underground, Gappy wouldn't exist.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MachuPikacchu posted:

This is my take on it, yeah. The power of the corpse, the intrinsic properties of the land, and the power of the New Locacaca were brought together by the events of the story to create Gappy. If Josefumi and Kira hadn't stolen the branch, or if they hand't grafted it where they did, or if the earthquake hadn't buried them underground, Gappy wouldn't exist.

Speaking of Rokakaka vs Locacaca, I noticed in my reread that Josefumi's phone is very clearly bedazzled with "Josephmi" - I'm guessing "Josefumi" is another mistranslation and his name should be Josephmi, despite being a bit awkward to pronounce.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Josefumi (仗世文) is his actual name in Japanese, but Josephmi might be how he chooses to romanize it in English, though it's more likely just a nod to Jojo fans.
...well, after this chapter with "Fumi-kun," maybe not.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Josefumi (仗世文) is his actual name in Japanese, but Josephmi might be how he chooses to romanize it in English, though it's more likely just a nod to Jojo fans.
...well, after this chapter with "Fumi-kun," maybe not.

Yeah I know it literally is Josefumi, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily the "intended" way to spell the name. "Fu" in Japanese can often shorten the "u" sound to almost nothing, so "josef-mi" may be the intended pronunciation, and thus "Josephmi" would make sense as an english spelling. Similar to Buruma vs Bulma in Dragonball, or heck Joushuu vs Joshu and Joutarou vs Jotaro here in jojo.

Though yeah "Fumi-kun" makes a lot more sense than "Fmi-kun" or "Phmi-kun"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if araki says it's spelled 'Josephmi' that is where i tell araki 'No, it's not.'

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Qtaro

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I don't think I ever noticed how many times a character asks someone else a question or tells them to do something, only for the other character to just stare blankly without saying a word. I feel like it happens more in JoJolion, but I guess I never noticed too much with the month-by-month releases.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In9MQx4cYtA

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

He's 89, right?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No sailor suit 0/10

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cross posting

Whenever he's not in the character art everyone should be asking "Where is Pucci?"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Cross posting

Whenever he's not in the character art everyone should be asking "Where is Pucci?"

Like I said in the anime thread, literally crying in the club right now

My girl Foo Fighters will finally be onscreen

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SNAKE

SKIN

PANTS

JOTARO

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

SNAKE

SKIN

PANTS

JOTARO

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

SNAKE

SKIN

PANTS

JOTARO
Can't wait for the scene where Jotaro has one hand in his pants pocket and one in his jacket pocket.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Funky Valentine posted:

SNAKE

SKIN

PANTS

JOTARO

Am I looking at it wrong or are his snake skin shoes part of his snake skin pants

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m actually a little surprised Jotaro is so far back in the key art. I mean it’s cool, the ladies should be center stage. But I thought they’d advertise his inclusion more due to Brand Recognition or whatever

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Wonder how they are going to depict the opening scene, if my memory serves wasnt she flicking her bean?

E: they shouldn't have shown Jotaro at all imo, I went into part6 completely blind and seeing Jotaro show up was a nice suprise

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
How did I forget that Weather had a codpiece?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Dragonwagon posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? I don't think I ever noticed that when reading the manga.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dragonwagon posted:

My thoughts exactly

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

make Anasui a woman you cowards

I can't reply to this in the anime thread but what if they do the chad power move of having male Anasui and female Anakiss

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I think they made Weather Report's codpiece bigger, even.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

:heysexy:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wonder when the VAs will be announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Have they not already been? I feel like I saw some post going around with VAs. Maybe it was fancasting, idk