Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Javid posted:

I'm in if the other window-half also opens so I can at least get a couch and stuff in there. I can deal with the urban hobbit hole door as long as I can get my stuff in first

It looks like there's a vertical piece between the windows, so probably not.

Hopefully there's an interior door somewhere, otherwise it's all inflatable furniture or one-way trips from Ikea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

therobit posted:

If you want a place to park your motorcycle it’s 400 pounds!

is this about the concrete again?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think I'm just gonna ramp it up the stairs and out the window every day

You laugh, but a good percentage of Asia does exactly this. The entrance to the house is basically an open wall with an expanding gate, mostly because it's so drat hot. You need the air flow even at night, yet you still need security. The front room doubles as the garage. If you're lucky, they'll have a ramp from street level up to your place!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Empty Sandwich posted:

is this about the concrete again?

Just to cement to concept for you, the idea is to block anyone from stealing your bike.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I knew London was pretty bad but seven hundred and fifty pounds

Property in central London is mostly used for money laundering. Actually housing human beings is a minor concern at best.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

"the UK has a much better electrical system than the US" :smug:

(has exposed, high-voltage wiring running to surface mount outlet boxes)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Speaking of US electrical boxes.. after drilling a hole to release the water in the bottom

Messadiah posted:

And only the orange wire has a proper drip loop, shame.

:laugh:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah.....so that bus bar is trashed and will never be safe again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How did that house never burn down?

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
That looks like a total replacement of breaker box and breakers. no way id trust anything in that box with the amount of visible rust i see.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Absolutely total replacement.

Junction boxes can take a surprising amount of punishment. Well before the Zippo stage, lights would be flickering, breakers would trip, etc. The real fun starts as it's drying out.

I've handled losses that involved this very thing. Philadelphia rowhomes are mostly brick, so there's a surface-mounted conduit at the front or rear to carry the feed into the basement to the panel. Either the conduit is installed with the top open to the elements, or the tar seal used has deteriorated, so that during heavy rains, the water is funnelled directly into the panel.

I have also seen steel conduit rusted away, leaving some extremely dodgy feed wire / worn or missing insulation hanging right out on the sidewalk.

Code now says that they have to install a proper sealed bullnose/drip-leggy thing where the two legs enter the conduit.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 3, 2021

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Vintersorg posted:

How did that house never burn down?

It was so wet it wouldn't burn

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Speaking of US electrical boxes.. after drilling a hole to release the water in the bottom

:laugh:

Now you have to replace it, you drained all the breaker coolant!

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010
shoutout to routing a neutral wire and bare ground between the branch circuit breakers and the main, especially with all the water helpfully at the ready to make all sorts of connections

either they got lazy and took a short path because they hadn't cut it to the right size to go under everything and into the neutral bar OR they just didn't know better. i love how panels become the accumulations of every contractor's sins

Extant Artiodactyl fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 3, 2021

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Motronic posted:

Yeah.....so that bus bar is trashed and will never be safe again.

Oh ye of little faith. A splash of vinegar and a wire wheel. . .

<service will be Sunday evening, closed casket>

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wolfsbane posted:

Property in central London is mostly used for money laundering. Actually housing human beings is a minor concern at best.

Same in a lot of large cities in the US. We were just bitching about it discussing it in the Automotive Insanity general chat thread.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Junction boxes can take a surprising amount of punishment. Well before the Zippo stage, lights would be flickering, breakers would trip, etc. The real fun starts as it's drying out.

Beg to differ. The only reason that I found the total extent of water damage in my panel was when I had the cover off to put in a new circuit. Wife had just started a load of laundry, and the well pump kicked in while I was standing there. The arcing going on between the breaker and bus was very impressive but tripped nothing and there were no visual cues like flickering.

When I got the breaker out it looked like someone had taken a mig welder to the bus clamps and surrounding plastic. Panel replacement moved to the top of the to-do list that day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think some of these are upside down :thunk:

Geaelith
Jan 14, 2017
https://twitter.com/MoistenedTart/status/1423136260294463495

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Someone upload a bunch of windows into the truss generator?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I've accidentally the entire facade!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That is so perfectly horrible that I kind of like it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's like living in the Pella showroom.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
that thing must leak like a gossamer sieve

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Captain Crunch’s WHOOPS, ALL WINDOWS!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

It wants to die. Why won’t anyone do the needful?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thwomp posted:

It wants to die. Why won’t anyone do the needful?

Because people who live in glass houses

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You know how hardware stores have demo windows or prefab ones that don't move? I'm guessing someone got a hell of a deal on those and wanted to use all of them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I took the bad acid! Hellllllp!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

PainterofCrap posted:

I've handled losses that involved this very thing. Philadelphia rowhomes are mostly brick, so there's a surface-mounted conduit at the front or rear to carry the feed into the basement to the panel. Either the conduit is installed with the top open to the elements, or the tar seal used has deteriorated, so that during heavy rains, the water is funnelled directly into the panel.

I have also seen steel conduit rusted away, leaving some extremely dodgy feed wire / worn or missing insulation hanging right out on the sidewalk.

Code now says that they have to install a proper sealed bullnose/drip-leggy thing where the two legs enter the conduit.

Let's not forget "hollowed out logs" as sewer mains ya east coast people sometimes have to deal with.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I feel like this is a spite house, like there was some regulation about max window size, so they put in a million tiny windows to be jackasses about following the building code

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It looks like it got stuck in the middle of transforming.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MisterOblivious posted:

Let's not forget "hollowed out logs" as sewer mains ya east coast people sometimes have to deal with.

Water mains, usually - I believe they don't quite have the diameter for sewer usage?
(And I think I've already posted the picture I have from when they replaced the last wooden water mains here in Oslo a few years ago)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
We just replaced our hollowed out redwood logs here in Sacramento within the last decade.
Not just the east coast.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This wraps around from terrible and back to awesome. It gives no fucks at all and I like it.

:colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrYenko posted:

This wraps around from terrible and back to awesome. It gives no fucks at all and I like it.

:colbert:

Yeah, I like things that are weird and exactly what that person wanted. Something like this isn't done out of laziness or ignorance. They weren't just blindly chasing a trend. No, someone set out that this was what they wanted and they likely had to deal with some pushback to get it done. They might be insane but they know what they like.

Good for them.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Here's my large cracking wall in our apartment kitchen. I want to patch it up eventually. Is there a specific name for what this covering is called, and is there a common culprit in this warping? I'm assuming it's covering plaster since this is an older house.

Here it is

Here you can see a zoom up

The board or whatever it is, is warped entirely.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 7, 2021

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

zaepg posted:

Here's my large cracking wall in our apartment kitchen. I want to patch it up eventually. What exactly am I looking at? What's the point of this large sheet covering the plaster? I'm assuming it's plaster since this is an older house.

Here it is

Here you can see a zoom up

The board or whatever it is, is warped entirely.

It looks like drywall tape over drywall, not plaster. It also looks like a non-load bearing wall is now load bearing. That wall is probably carrying more weight than it should if it's bending like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's not something that gets "patched up", it's something you tear down all of that wall board and figure out what is wrong in there.

The most common culprit is water damage. It could also be structural damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I like things that are weird and exactly what that person wanted. Something like this isn't done out of laziness or ignorance. They weren't just blindly chasing a trend. No, someone set out that this was what they wanted and they likely had to deal with some pushback to get it done. They might be insane but they know what they like.

Good for them.

Much like this house that I used to drive past going to work.

It's the "Mushroom House" in Cincinnati.