Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Loved this movie, an aesthetic feast which I dread being overanalyzed to death (it's happening already and cringed at all the "ENDING EXPLAINED" articles). One of my faves of the last few years, reminded me of Mandy for the aural/visual craftsmanship and the psuedo-medieval journey. Though my gf loved Mandy and didn't quite like this too much.

Happy to see this was an A24 all-stars reunion with Joel Edgerton from It Comes At Night and my absolute favorite weirdo Barry Keoghan from Killing of a Sacred Deer lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

mA posted:

Lol why is that so much of those alt right rants have to make analogies with modern dating?

People who don't feel powerful want to feel powerful. The art they consume is thus about power fantasy, so when a seemingly familiar genre piece comes out (medieval fantasy) and it DOESN'T validate their worldview by elevating the male hero to power over some degenerate outsider, they assume it's because Bad Wrong Leftists made purposefully pro-degenerate art to confuse or brainwash them.

The dating part comes in because, being (probably) white American cis-men, the only battlefield where they don't get to feel powerful all the time is dating. So, it becomes a really specific lightning rod for every insecurity they have. The Green Knight made it seem like knights weren't awesome and powerful. And some female characters contribute to that feeling. Therefore, it's the simps. And the cucks. It's the simp-cuck lizard person feminazi pedophiles making Bad Wrong Art, intentionally and unfairly challenging the inherent rightness of men's power and virility. Like that bitch Kristen from Bumble.

(LOL at the guy referencing Dracula Reborn, of all things. Where instead of Dracula turning into a Satanic bisexual rapist, he's a superstraight badass who single-handedly repels an army of brown people to protect the homeland. Subtle.)

Xealot fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 5, 2021

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

fishing with the fam posted:

What a frustrating and disappointing experience. This film ticks all the boxes for something I should absolutely love. It was moody, atmospheric, gorgeous, sounded terrific, and was well acted. Yet I was bored out my mind nearly the entire time. On a technical level, there is nothing to complain about in this move. But I found absolutely nothing about it engaging. By the end of the manor sequence I just wanted it to be over so I could leave.

Seeing all the love its getting, I feel like I'm the one who is wrong here. Like the film is doing something I'm just not seeing or understanding. I'm sure it doesn't help that I never read the tale or know anything about Arthurian legend.

No no, I agree. I kept expecting it to clarify the plot, but it never did.

It's better than most Christmas movies, bit that's a low bar to clear

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 6, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gatts posted:

Mini marathon of Excalibur - First Knight - King Arthur - Guy Ritchie King Arthur - Green Knight.... - Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Blade Works :newlol:
Put in the Merlin miniseries in there since it's underrated

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah this is one of the rare occurrences where I’m stuck like “this wasn’t a bad movie, there’s nothing wrong with it… I just don’t like this obviously well made, lovingly crafted film!”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah this is one of the rare occurrences where I’m stuck like “this wasn’t a bad movie, there’s nothing wrong with it… I just don’t like this obviously well made, lovingly crafted film!”
You didn't want this movie to be your lehhhhhdy?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bust just couldn't get it up for the movie, it's ok. It happens to a lot of knights.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Excalibust

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
maybe its just bc the jeff bezos going off into space thing happened so recently, but i couldn't help but feel like there was an ecological angle to this movie about a man going off to encounter the personification of nature

Like, the green knight nature says "I present myself to you, do whatever you want to me and in time I will reciprocate the blow" and Gawain's instinct is to cut its head off. With Excalibur, no less, the sword that represents the right to build christian civilization. All because Gawain wants to fit in with the good old boys.

the buildings are in ruin, the land is in waste, the king and queen are slowly dying. there are visions of ghosts and giants, witches around every corner, and at some point a shield bearing the image of the madonna is smashed to pieces. Which is to say, the bulwark of christian civilization is nearing its end (as we know it will in Arthurian legend). It's just curious to me to see such an old story get a retelling now, in an era of plagues and wildfires.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Cephas posted:

maybe its just bc the jeff bezos going off into space thing happened so recently, but i couldn't help but feel like there was an ecological angle to this movie about a man going off to encounter the personification of nature

Like, the green knight nature says "I present myself to you, do whatever you want to me and in time I will reciprocate the blow" and Gawain's instinct is to cut its head off. With Excalibur, no less, the sword that represents the right to build christian civilization. All because Gawain wants to fit in with the good old boys.

the buildings are in ruin, the land is in waste, the king and queen are slowly dying. there are visions of ghosts and giants, witches around every corner, and at some point a shield bearing the image of the madonna is smashed to pieces. Which is to say, the bulwark of christian civilization is nearing its end (as we know it will in Arthurian legend). It's just curious to me to see such an old story get a retelling now, in an era of plagues and wildfires.

Ooh, that's a good read I didn't consider. I like it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Well, I've opted to spend 40 mins reading this thread, instead of seeing the movie. Have I chosen poorly? Perhaps. But, you shouldn't have made the thread so good if I wasn't supposed to read it! I may check the movie out in 5 years when my memory of the details fades etc. It doesn't sound too up my alley anyway. At least, as such a "gotcha" sounding story, it to me feels like it would appeal more as a 1 hour or even 30 minute TV episode, like Tales From The Crypt or Twilight Zone. Or as a 6 issue indie comic or 2000AD serial.

Also, deconstructing and such, after a while (not that it applies to this movie I haven't seen per se), it's just not deconstructing or subverting anymore. It's just the norm. Even the buzz of the movie before it came out was it's an A24 arthouse Arthur movie, so the idea that the hero is somehow unexpectedly human and unimpressive etc is nothing new I guess? It's not even 50 years new, we had stuff in the 70s that did this. Not to say the merits mentioned by fans of the movie aren't there as well, just for me when the top things mentioned are how it's subverting a thing and deconstructing a thing, by not being another thing, I think we're way past that in 2021.

Every story is taken on it's own merits, so to me if the merit is comparing it against other expectations which honestly I don't feel we really have anymore, at least when it comes to interest in indie movies, that just doesn't grab me. The reason I'm not checking it out is because it looked like it may not connect with me or be dull, and my curiosity I feel was better entertained by this fine thread, and in less time.

Also, it just takes more trust for me to sit down for a slow surreal style movie. I love David Lynch, his dreamlike logic and his style, way of looking at the world of cinema, it just clicks for me. But some stuff to me is just blah (Mandy for example). Wild At Heart is the Mandy for me. I know I can love surreal movies, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive etc, but I'm just not in a rush to watch a Von Trier movie etc. I guess it's that there is still some stuff that is just plain appealing about Lynch's style to draw me in, the bit of film noir, the seductiveness of it, it's pleasant to visit even if it can get nightmarish. Give me some sugar with my introspective existential nightmare coffee. (irl I like coffee with some almond milk and no sugar)

Plus Bust Rodd has a Solid Snake avatar now, and he didn't dig it, so that makes me feel like Solid Snake wouldn't watch it. And I'm a Snake guy.

Other things posts in this thread have done for me: moved Conquest and Conan the Destroyer up my to-watch list. Also gotta see Willow still.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 6, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool thanks for sharing

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DeimosRising posted:

Cool thanks for sharing

My posts are my art, heckling my post is like yelling at the screen at a Green Knight screening. It's not right.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Snake, have you seen " The Green Knight? "

Hrrrnngg... Isn't that the batman movie?

No, Snake, that's " The Dark Knight. "

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's awesome. A Snake commentary track by David Hayter, I'd buy that day one. Really everything could use his unique perspective.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Heavy Metal posted:

My posts are my art, heckling my post is like yelling at the screen at a Green Knight screening. It's not right.

I said the same thing to my tv at the end of the movie so at least I’m consistent

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
i don't think i'd really call it a deconstruction. the thing is that the original text is pretty mysterious, so there are inherently a lot of elements in tension with one another. you can still read the movie's story as a straightforward morality story about a young man learning that being a knight means taking responsibility for your actions, and learning to accept that "live by the sword, die by the sword" means confronting your own mortality. like, there's absolutely nothing in the movie that works against the straightforward reading. Because the movie has so many tensions, I think it's easy to deconstruct it, but I don't think the movie is trying to be a deconstruction if that distinction makes sense.

Like, for comparison, there's a lot of film studies scholarship that tries to deconstruct Alien, because there are similarly a lot of tensions in that movie (empowered female protagonist, except... the antagonist is monstrously feminine? how does this suss out if you really try to examine it?). But I wouldn't say Alien is a deconstruction of a scifi horror movie. It's just ripe for deconstruction.

You can compare that to something like Mulholland Drive or Blue Velvet by David Lynch, where the traditional coming-of-age film narratives you'd associate with their genres get traumatically disrupted. You can't watch those movies and come away with a straightforward, stable reading.

The Green Knight is a spooky and sometimes baffling atmospheric movie. It makes some audacious creative decisions, like the inclusion of the giants, the lack of any fight scenes, and the cliffhanger ending. But things still seem to add up to a hero's journey.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That is a good way to put it, but also anyone who is concerned that they might find the movie dull is probably making the right personal decision to skip it. You really need to be into the A24 style for this thing to work.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on.

Cephas posted:

You can compare that to something like Mulholland Drive or Blue Velvet by David Lynch, where the traditional coming-of-age film narratives you'd associate with their genres get traumatically disrupted. You can't watch those movies and come away with a straightforward, stable reading.

The Green Knight is a spooky and sometimes baffling atmospheric movie. It makes some audacious creative decisions, like the inclusion of the giants, the lack of any fight scenes, and the cliffhanger ending. But things still seem to add up to a hero's journey.

I can dig. David Lynch is definitely our go to beloved surreal weird guy around here. My point bringing him up there was just that I feel his movies, most anyway, are filled to the brim with entertainment value. At least if you click with his style, a style that is inviting to me. Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive are far from sparse, they're pretty lively peppy movies in a lot of ways. Blue Velvet is definitely a unique mix, but I do feel (it's my fav movie) that it's pretty easy to digest in it's own way. It's a noir mystery with heart on it's sleeve earnestness, dark comedy, and touching on some of the horror of life in the world. And the beauty in it etc. While also sharing that the idyllic 50s was pretty messed up, though Chandler and whatnot did that too. I just love that flick. But to be fair, that's his smoothest ride of a movie I think. It's also one of the most quotable movies ever.

But I will check this movie out sometime, even though it doesn't sound so up my alley necessarily, put it on the ol' list next to a couple Kurosawa and Godard flicks I haven't seen yet and whatnot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
This movie owned bones; but i absolutely adore slow-burning surreal avante-garde-esque 'pretentious' A24 movies. The poo poo is extremely my jam. The cinematographically it reminds me a lot of The Favourite in terms of camera work and lightning and sort of surreal-ness or even Manday sans the violence; or rather if someone like say Nicolas Winding Refn made an Matière de Bretagne movie -- which now I also want. I was sober when I watched it but man this would be such a fantastic movie on edibles as well for a late night slow-burn that I'm definitely going to do that at some point again.

There's a lot that can be said about deconstruction or what not, but i'll agree it's not probably not really the intent to be a deconstruction fiesta potlock, but you certainly can. David set out to tell a tale of the arthurian grail cycle of his own, and by god he did it. i do like that one line where the handjob lady says she takes books and improves them where she sees fit.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 7, 2021

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Heavy Metal posted:

Did you become addicted to writing book reports about books you didn’t read as a child?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I love this movie, but I’d hesitate to recommend it to just about anyone. It’s such an oddly paced and plotted movie, and I can’t imagine it appealing to a wide audience at all.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Cephas posted:

i don't think i'd really call it a deconstruction.

TV Tropes has rotted people's minds and now everything that presents its subject matter seriously is called a deconstruction, and sometimes people just say "it's a deconstruction" to mean they think it's good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Flesnolk posted:

TV Tropes has rotted people's minds and now everything that presents its subject matter seriously is called a deconstruction, and sometimes people just say "it's a deconstruction" to mean they think it's good.

I just looked and wierdly the TV Tropes page for deconstruction is mostly about not misusing the term like that lol

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ghostwritingduck posted:

Did you become addicted to writing book reports about books you didn’t read as a child?

Eh, you didn't really read or gel with my post there. I don't have a habit of chiming in on the topic of movies I haven't seen, but it's ok to chime in on one from time to time. Unless you're stifling thought and communication for no reason, there's no harm in sharing someone's perspective and talking about adjacent topics that come to mind. Plus, it's always the way, somebody posts say several paragraphs covering different ideas and topics, and is respectful and cool to everybody. I even compliment the thread, because honestly, I consider reading threads to be good. These sort of one-line insult things for no reason, what do you get out of it? I was thinking about and considering some stuff about entertainment, and talking to people about it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 7, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I just looked and wierdly the TV Tropes page for deconstruction is mostly about not misusing the term like that lol

That might be a recent edit, because that's definitely how the site and the culture around it have used the term for a long time now. Also its idea of "a deconstruction is when you show what would REALLY HAPPEN if [trope/story] happened In Real Life" is weird and wrong.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Flesnolk posted:

That might be a recent edit, because that's definitely how the site and the culture around it have used the term for a long time now. Also its idea of "a deconstruction is when you show what would REALLY HAPPEN if [trope/story] happened In Real Life" is weird and wrong.

I'm sure it's full of bad posts or whatever still, I just found it funny that they added a big THAT'S NOT A DECONSTRUCTION OK section at some point.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I will admit that maybe at this point seeing the word "deconstruction" just elicits a kneejerk response :V

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yo I'm absolutely comfortable telling people who didn't like this that they should just gently caress off and go watch Black Widow or whatever bullshit nonsense Marvel is putting out. This movie is a very specific experience and if you came into it not wanting that experience or not ready for it then yeah it's not for you. It's not for everyone. It's not bad because of that. It's also not amazing because of that. It is what it is.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Mods rename this thread Beta Knight of the Simp Order

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yo I'm absolutely comfortable telling people who didn't like this that they should just gently caress off and go watch Black Widow or whatever bullshit nonsense Marvel is putting out. This movie is a very specific experience and if you came into it not wanting that experience or not ready for it then yeah it's not for you. It's not for everyone. It's not bad because of that. It's also not amazing because of that. It is what it is.

I don't think anyone here is saying it's bad. I think we're saying it's disappointing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe for you.

This movie was incredibly satisfying. 💦

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Saw this today in theaters, looked nice but during the quiet scenes we could hear explosions and shouting and shooting from whatever was playing in the room next door.

glitchwraith posted:

This one I think is simpler to explain; it's just part of the introduction. Much like the previous narration explaining that this is not about Arthur, it's showing that this is not a typical knight tale by giving a brief glimpse at one. The lady is obviously getting on the horse to flee, the man (a knight?) draws a sword in her defense. Apparently (as I missed this on first viewing), you can see a building burning in the distance. But then we pan away, because it's not the tale being told. Slowly, our actual protagonist is revealed, sleeping off his drunkenness in a brothel, unaware of whatever is happening mere feet away.

I noticed in the credits that this is Paris and Helen, which is a sly nod to how the story starts. It's quite a good adaptation in being distinct from the original but clearly faithful in some aspects. It really nails the mysterious and other-worldly quality of the story. At first I thought it was overdoing it, but it knows exactly what it's doing, and it pulls it off well.

This certainly is likely to have a narrow appeal, and while that may disappoint a fair amount of the audience, it really clicked with me and I'm happy to have seen something that's so different still being produced.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Was Mandy an A24 film too? I feel like that is a movie I should have enjoyed because of all the indulgence like what we have here and in others like The Lighthouse but that movie just did not click for me at all.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

Was Mandy an A24 film too? I feel like that is a movie I should have enjoyed because of all the indulgence like what we have here and in others like The Lighthouse but that movie just did not click for me at all.

Mandy completely clicked for me. I thought it was awesome first time I saw it.

Wikipedia says...

Director: Panos Cosmatos
Budget: $6 million
Production companies: SpectreVision; Umedia; XYZ Films;
Produced by: Elijah Wood; Daniel Noah; Josh C. Waller; Adrian Politowski; Martin Metz; Nate Bolotin

So probably not A24

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

green night was slow paced, blue tinted, and kind of boring. it was an a24 movie alright

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Nope, it was super fun and many hued

It was slowly paced I guess, but time flew by for me

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The Lighthouse is a good comparison to The Green Knight. They're both movies that have a bunch of individually excellent scenes which have been strung together without much thought given to telling a story.

If what you want from a movie is a series of cool visuals, then that's what you get.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I saw this movie in the theater twice and just now found out there's a post-credits scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Thom and the Heads posted:

I saw this movie in the theater twice and just now found out there's a post-credits scene.

Oh yeah? The theatre I saw it at threw on the house lights the instant the ending titles came up so I didn't stick around.